Ultimate Paradise
19 March, 2024, 12:47:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Mass Effect Andromeda

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda  (Read 349 times)
Styles
Lateral Diagonal
Sacred Warrior

Mood: Restless

All the cool kids are doing it.

« on: 15 March, 2017, 06:14:44 pm »

Anyone purchasing it?

As the days draw nearer to its release, I grow more and more apprehensive lol

I've been watching some gamplay videos and the character animations look like something out of an alpha phase of a game. I hope i'm wrong, but reception hasn't been too good
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2017, 08:34:47 pm »

I'm kinda wary. The stuff I've heard from pre-review coverage has been mostly positive, and yet there's an undercurrent of bad vibes coming off of some of the jank animations that are popping up. Also just skimmed PC Gamer's article on the first couple of hours and they seem pretty divided.

I think the embargo lifts on Monday, so it'll be interesting to read full reactions.

Would be nice if it's good, but at the same time, skipping this would give me more time to play other stuff.

Edit: I'll note that the weird thing about all the negative attention that's being drawn to the animation and character models or whatever, the people pointing this out (I've mostly seen them on Twitter) are oddly gleeful about it? Like it seems there's a subset of people who want this game to fail.
« Last Edit: 15 March, 2017, 08:36:23 pm by randomguy44 » Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2017, 12:27:52 am »

Like, Bioware's (or EA, really, but it's been this way for so long that I'd bet a lot of Bioware's design staff deserves some of the blame too) been on this trend where they've predominately been dealing in (generally) polished, yet paint-by-numbers, uninspired titles based on the same few IPs, which they been progressively streamlining and fitting to a more general AAA mold. I kinda think of Bioware in the same way I think of Ubisoft, but far less egregious.

But there's something about Andromeda that specifically bugs me. Like, that's a universe that goes beyond Shepard, clearly, but the appeal of that franchise is indelibly tied to that original trilogy where the final payoff is the snowballing of events and decisions that affect the setting, the cast, etc at the conclusion (with one obvious exception). I don't really give much of a shit about Mass Effect, but there's something about bringing it back without regarding that context that seems super iffy, like this is more about a quick buck than unfinished business with that setting. I'd have more confidence in that game were it not parallel to how they've basically turned Dragon Age into this interconnected series of games that don't actually follow a general arc or have concrete progression such that they can just keep recycling that franchise indefinitely rather than doing anything new or interesting. I dunno, I just cannot get hyped for this game.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2017, 12:37:18 am »

I think a lot of the negative feelings on the subject have to do with, well...how ME3 ended. And then everything related to how ME3 ended.
Report Spam   Logged

TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Happy

« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2017, 03:25:09 am »

I've never played Mass Effect but this looks goddamn atrocious.

https://twitter.com/etdragonpunch/status/842239459928166400

Script, animation, acting, staging, direction, everything is terrible.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2017, 08:01:13 am »

I haven't really looked into it yet. I feel like its timing is pretty poor at the moment. Admittedly I don't really care about character animations and stuff like that but I haven't seen anything that really grabs me to get it, which is a bummer because the original trilogy ruled.

Edit: I'll note that the weird thing about all the negative attention that's being drawn to the animation and character models or whatever, the people pointing this out (I've mostly seen them on Twitter) are oddly gleeful about it? Like it seems there's a subset of people who want this game to fail.

This seems like the standard response if a game does bad now. I've never seen more people happy about a game getting negative response than No Man's Sky and I imagine if this reviews anywhere lower than the 8 range people are going to be similarly over the moon.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2017, 09:27:56 am »

I will say that it's sort of weird to call this game Mass Effect given I haven't really heard any talk about, well... mass effect. Like I get that it's the name of the franchise and you don't want to call it something else, but for Maniac's point, it is weird to have so small a bridge from the original series to this one.

What I have a hard time buying is that this has anything to do with the ME3 ending fallout. It's not even the same dev team is it? I guess the biggest proof of people holding that kind of grudge would be if it doesn't sell well. Like the worst thing is when people get mad and then buy the game anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2017, 09:37:29 am »

The ME3 ending thing is still really funny to me. I barely remember what the ending even was, I can't imagine people still being so mad about it.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Styles
Lateral Diagonal
Sacred Warrior

« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2017, 12:24:44 pm »

It's not even the same dev team is it?
This is what I find interesting because you're right; it's not the same team.

From all reports, the creative lead that worked on the trilogy and built the world that most grew to love were either laid off or went on to explore other avenues. Instead, they were replaced by people like Maneef, who is confirmed to hate white people (absolutely memeworthy in my opinion), and others.

It is also funny how this game similarly suffers from an extreme case of black & white like many others recently. There just is no middle ground anymore and while it is good to gauge a game's worth on your own....sometimes I'd like to just know the pros and cons with no fluff added aand go from there. I already have too much and haven't even beaten Nioh, Nier, Horizon, OR Danganronpa. And THEN Persona is on the way. Like holy ****.
Report Spam   Logged

Styles
Lateral Diagonal
Sacred Warrior

« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2017, 09:31:13 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: