Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 08:06:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Rief's Story

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rief's Story  (Read 1976 times)
Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Relaxed

Gaffit

« on: 13 March, 2008, 09:24:32 pm »

Note: This is a Clash of Smash based story, but I've deviated from the main premise enough that I think I can safely post it here. That and I want a bigger audience. :/ So without further ado, Rief's Story.

The Clash of Smash: Rief's Story
By Gaffit

Chapter 1
Rief stood on the tree branch, surveying the fortress that he was about to break into.

Let's see, basic defenses, a couple of relaxed guards on systematic patrols, windows unbarred, walls polished, and archer lookout points. Best of all, no moats. I hate moats. Rief said to himself.

Why didn't they just stick up a big sign that says ‘Free stuff. Come on in’”

Rief dropped from the tree branch and made his way out of the forest towards the castle wall, making sure he avoided the guards predictable patterns. When Rief got to the wall he looked up and spied a small balcony about 30 feet up.

“Perfect.” Rief told himself.

Rief took the bow from his back and made a quick search through his pouch until he found the grappling hook he was looking for. Rief attached the grappling hook to his bow and with pinpoint accuracy, he fired the hook onto the balcony’s rail. Rief placed the bow onto his back and made his way up the rope and onto the balcony. Rief managed to pull the rope up after him just as the guard turned the corner, a full 15 seconds earlier than he should have.

Rief made his way through the halls of the castle, searching for anything that might be of value. His name wasn’t really Rief of course, that was just a nickname he had given himself. The best thieves didn’t have names to be associated with, or at least, that’s what he believed, he hadn’t really met too many other thieves to be honest. And the ones he had met had been after his gear, not his conversational skills.

Having grown up on the street, he was used to having to steal to get what he wanted in life. He never knew who his parents were, they’d dropped him off at some nunnery when he was born. He had gotten out of there when he had enough smarts to know how to sneak.

Though he fended for himself most of the time, Rief was not above taking jobs. People wanted things, and they didn’t care how they got them. It also didn’t hurt his business that he was the only thief he knew of that wasn’t afraid of taking on jobs that involved magicians. This was one such job. Magicians were powerful yes, but through experience, Rief learned that they die pretty much the same as anyone else.

Rief knew that his current client wanted him to invade this magicians fortress and steal some statue that was supposed to endow the holder with the ability to breathe fire. Rief knew that the object must be somewhere in the center of the stronghold because that’s how magicians worked, they were beings of logic, and it was only logical to have your most prized possessions in the middle of your defenses. Rief enjoyed these missions because he was only assigned to take one or two objects, however, he was allowed to help himself to anything else that happened to catch his eye.

Rief himself stood at about six feet tall with brown hair and brown eyes. His skin was tan almost brown form the years of living and sleeping outdoors. He wore a basic black tunic and a pair of brown pants that he’d stolen off a laundry line one day. He carried with him a bow and a quiver full of arrows, close to two dozen knives, and a pouch filled with things miscellaneous objects that he could use and for things he would take. Rief always made sure he had enough room in his pouch to store the large number of objects he’d relieve from his targets.

Rief turned the corner and walked straight into a surprised looking guard.

“INTRU-“ was all the guard managed to get out before Rief had knocked him out with the hilt of on his daggers.

“Stupid!” Rief told himself “Focus on the mission. Especially when magicians are involved! You don’t have time to daydream.”

Rief waited to see if any of the other guards had heard the shout, but when no one came, he began looking around for some way to hide the unconscious guard. Rief looked out the window and saw nothing of use.

“Damn. I wish they had a moat I could hide this thing in...”

Rief dragged the body into a nearby room and drew out one of his lock-picks to lock the door shut.

Making his way deeper into the fortress, Rief began hiding from more and more guards as he went behind curtains, pedestals, suits of armor, or whatever he could find. He couldn’t simply disguise himself as a servant because magicians didn’t have servants, they cleaned everything with magic, which made Rief’s job that much harder.

When Rief reached what he presumed to be roughly the center of the fortress, he unsheathed two of his finest daggers and made his way through the halls more carefully. Because a magician’s finest treasures are usually located in the center of their fortress, that usually means that so is the magician. Rief turned the final corner and came face to face with a very large brass door that glowed with magical energy.

“Found it.” Rief congratulated himself.

Rief opened the large brass door which was surprisingly unlocked. In the center of the room on a large golden pedestal was a small statue of gargoyle hugging its knees, standing at about half a foot high. Other than that, the room was filled with the usual gold, jewelry, a suit of armor and other such magician things.

Rief walked up to the pedestal and took the statue, feeling the magic of it seep into him, as objects that grant powers usually do. Rief let the feeling go as he stuffed the statue that supposedly let you breath fire into his pouch and began surveying the room for other objects of interest.

“And what pray-tell, do you think you’re doing?” The voice behind Rief was harsh, cold, and most worrying, logical.

Doing an about-face, Rief looked straight into the eyes of the magician on the other side of the room.

The magician’s beard was relatively short, and he seemed to have a good physical build, Rief guessed that this magician wasn’t particularly powerful, probably only knew two or three offensive tricks, but Rief was sure that he knew enough magic to give him a hell of an advantage in a fight.

“Who me?” Rief said while slowly drawing his hand into his pouch, feeling the magic of the statue enter his veins once again. “Well, I’m here to marvel at your fine collection of- EAT FIRE BREATH!” Rief shoved the statue forward and breathed out of at the magician’s direction.

But nothing happened.

Rief stood there, dumbfounded, stupidly shoving a useless statue into the magicians face.

“Now if you’re quite done wasting my time, I’m a busy man, and I don’t have a lot time, so I’m going to just kill you quickly and be on my way.” The magician said apathetically.

Rief barely had time to duck and avoid the oncoming fireball that the magician shot at him. Rief jumped from the floor and ran to take cover behind the suit of armor, fireballs hailing overhead as he went. Once he reached temporary safety, Rief pulled out his bow and knocked a couple of arrows, using his impeccable aim to fire three at the magician at the same time. One missed, but two hit the magician, one in each leg. The magician hit the ground hard and howled in pain. Rief, not missing out on an opportunity to avoid a fight, made for the door. The wizard charged a fireball in his palm and fired it off just as Rief shut the door behind him.

The brass door exploded behind Rief, sending him sprawling into the middle of the wide hall. It looked like the wizard had called for reinforcements, because Rief found himself surrounded by five guards who looked like they knew what they were doing.

“Damn” Rief had time to say before he had to roll away from one of the guards swords. Rief got to his feet and threw three knives into the guard that took a swing at him. The guard dropped to floor with a thump just as two more charged at Rief. Rief jumped over the two and drew two daggers from his sleeves, sending both of them into the guard’s backs. Rief hit the ground and counted two guards left, one in front of him and one behind him. Both of the guards swung at him at the same time, but he was already in the air. Rief stuck a dagger into the ceiling and held himself there with one hand while he rained knives onto the two remaining guards below with the other. After both guards weren’t moving, Rief pulled the dagger out of the ceiling and let himself drop to the floor, landing on two feet.

Rief knew it would only be matter of time before more guards were summoned, and he didn’t know if that magician knew how to heal himself. Spying a nearby window, Rief took his chances and threw himself against it. Rief broke through the glass and hit the ground with a thud. Getting up, Rief took a quick stock of himself and his equipment, Rief then bolted for the cover of the forest. Feeling a familiar heat on his back, he turned just in time to see the magician at the window hurling a very large fireball at him. On instinct, Rief shoved his hand into his pouch and felt the tickle of magic coursing into his veins. Rief breathed deeply and suddenly the fireball was sucked into Rief’s nostrils. Rief looked into his hand and saw the small gargoyle statue.

“Ha! Lets you breath fire. I get it!”

Rief ran into the cover of the forest as he heard the magician roaring angrily behind him. Rief laughed to himself the whole way back to town.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2008, 05:08:43 pm »

Ah, so this is why everyone hates posting user storys.

Nobody cares...
Report Spam   Logged

TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Happy

« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2008, 05:24:44 pm »

>_>

I'll read it... eventually...
Report Spam   Logged

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2008, 09:24:17 pm »

You don't have to lie to me TBizzle. It's okay, I'm a big boy. I can take it.

Oh God! *Sobs uncontrollably*
Report Spam   Logged

A Duck
Dmax
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Dmax the always adorable
Mood: Dead

ME!

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2008, 10:37:07 pm »

no ones gonna read it cause u posted too much at one time....its intimidating to people who feel that reading is too hard....u should delete 2 of the inserts and wait for peoples responses.....basic psychology can take u a far way Gaffit....
Report Spam   Logged
Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2008, 11:51:06 pm »

no ones gonna read it cause u posted too much at one time....its intimidating to people who feel that reading is too hard....u should delete 2 of the inserts and wait for peoples responses.....basic psychology can take u a far way Gaffit....

That's what she said! Hi-oh!

But I'll prolly do that...
Report Spam   Logged

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2008, 05:19:39 pm »

Chapter 2:

Rief enter elaborate gates into the city of Gemini. Gemini City was an unusual place because the river that ran down the center of it gave the city life, but it was also the city’s downfall. The entire city was surrounded by towering walls which kept conflict both out and in. The city had two sides, a poor side on one side of the river and a rich side on the other. The two were in a constant state of flux over the course of the city’s history. Inevitably, the citizens in the poor side would become unruly and rebel against those in the rich half, a revolution would take place, a few heads would roll and the poor side would now be the rich side. Then the whole process would take place again a few years later.

Today Rief was visiting the poor side, where business was good and the guards were scarce.

Rief passed by the bakery he and his associate always discussed deals at and ordered a slice of sweet bread from a pretty waitress, paying in advance in case he had to make a quick get-away. Rief looked amongst the crowds until at last he spotted the friendly face of his business partner Jack Hawker. Jack was a big man with a hoarse voice and not a lot of muscle to him. He was basically the brains to Rief’s muscle, minus most of the brain. Rief stood for a friendly handshake before Hawker gave him a bear hug.

“Rief! Good to see you made it out alive!” Hawker lowered his hoarse voice as much as he could, “I hope you didn’t step on too many toes yeah? Bad for business.”

Jack let go of Rief, allowing him to slump against his chair while Jack took his own. Rief made a point of checking his pockets for signs of Jack’s loose hands before responding.

“Well, I lost some of my best knives taking out of group of guards, and I lost three good arrows to the kneecaps of the target, overall the mission was a success.”

Rief dug into his pouch and pulled out the small statue of a gargoyle hugging it’s knees.

“Excellent news!” Jack snatched the gargoyle from Rief’s hands with surprising grace and examined it closely. “So, you made sure to finish off the magician yeah? I’d hate to have a pissed off magician after me. There are only two ways to deal with magicians. The first is to make him unconscious, the second is to make him dead!” Jack laughed hoarsely at his own joke before quieting down.

“Nope, this one was a healer, I made it a point to get out of there as fast as I could. Don’t worry though, he didn’t follow me into the forest, I’m sure of it.” Rief assured him.

“Ah well, nothing we can do about that yeah?” Jack examined the statue more closely, feeling the magic in his veins to make sure the statue was legit. “You didn’t happen to grab anything else you’d like to show me did you?”

“I think you already know the answer to that after that bear hug maneuver you pulled on me.” Rief replied as a mischievous grin came on Jack’s face. “I had just grabbed the statue when the target confronted me, I didn’t really have time to take my pickings.”

“Aw, that’s a shame yeah? Well at least we have got the statue.” Jack tossed the statue back at Rief who stuffed it back in his pouch. “By the way, I almost forgot. I have another job lined up for you. A client recently discovered that a family heirloom he’s been looking for is in the possession of a powerful magician. He’s asked for help from the only thief brave enough to steal from one.”

Rief stared across the table at Hawker. Jack would only use flattery if he knew the mission would be dangerous.

“What’s the job Jack?” Rief asked bluntly.

“The client wants you to steal a magical artifact from Thaum Cigruta. The same client that’s paying us so handsomely for the statue.”

“No.” Rief said flatly. “You can’t honestly expect me to possibly be able to steal from Cigruta, he’s the best magician there is if the rumors are true. I’d be a dead man to take this job.”

“Rief.” Jack said, staring Rief down,” He’s offering you and I both enough money to retire and live luxuriously for the rest of our lives. Besides, rumors are just rumors yeah?”

Rief sighed. “What’s the job?”

A large grin came upon Jack’s face. “The client wants you to infiltrate Thaum Cigruta’s fortress and steal a shield that apparently grants the wielder flight or something. He said you should take the statue with you.”

“I can’t believe I’m actually doing this,” Rief said irately pushing himself away from the table.

“I knew you’d come through for me! I know my partner yeah? When should I tell our client to expect delivery?”

“I’ll make the run tomorrow”, Rief replied. “I need to pick up some new daggers and arrows first.”

“You’re a good man Rief, take care of yourself yeah?”

“That’s gonna be difficult.”

The waitress came back with sweet bread to an empty table and a tip for her trouble.
Report Spam   Logged

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2008, 05:09:17 pm »

Chapter 3:

Rief made a quick check of his equipment before leaving his hideout that he always stayed in after he had pulled a job. Rief exited the alley and looked over the knives and arrows he’d stolen the night before from a couple of vendors. They were of average quality, Rief made it a point not to relieve merchants of their best wares. But he considered anything else fair game.

Rief made his way past the massive gates that marked the entrance to the city of Gemini, checking the map Hawker had provided him with and heading in the general direction of where Hawker though Thaum Cigruta’s fortress was.

“I can’t believe I’m taking on this mission. What the hell was I thinking? Since when do I listen to Hawker when it comes to doing my job anyway?” Rief looked back into the woods from which he came, unable to make out the buzz of Gemini City in the distance. “A little late to turn back now,” Rief lied to himself.

Rief reached the fortress at about mid-day. Surprisingly enough, Hawker’s map was spot-on. Usually half the mission was spent looking for the right place when it came to missions that involved magicians.

Climbing a nearby oak tree, Rief scouted the place, looking for anything that he should keep an eye out for.

“Hmm... No guards, no moat,” Rief sniffed the air, “No smelly guard dogs, not even a pet dragon...”

Rief consulted his map, making sure he was at the right hidden fortress, they were a dime a dozen in his day and age. Rief checked and double-checked, but the intel looked clean.

“This guy must be really full of himself to have no security whatsoever...” Rief watched the fortress for a couple more hours before concluding that there was in actuality, no guards to be found.

“Looks like this is as good a time as any.”

Rief lowered himself from the tree and in one quick sprint made it to the castle walls in the blink of an eye. Rief looked at the fortress walls and didn’t see any balconies, or any windows for that matter, in fact the entire fortress wall was smooth and seamless.

“There’s no way in except the front door? How the hell am I supposed to sneak into that? Who does this magician think he is making me work to steal from him!” Rief swore to himself.

Rief made a quick lap around the fortress, seeing not a stone or indent to climb onto. Eventually Rief reached the front door.

“Looks like we’re doing this the fun way.” Rief took the bow off his back and knocked an arrow.

The huge wooden door went flying inward from Rief’s powerful kick. Rief went in a few seconds later pointing his bow in all possible direction before deciding that no one was there. Rief relaxed his guard and looked around. The inside was a perfect as the outside with bright white walls and balls of pure white light floating over head.

Rief made his way down the hall to his left, hoping it would lead him to the center of the fortress. Eventually Rief put his bow away and unsheathed a couple of daggers as it was clear that he simply wasn’t going to run into any guards.

Rief made his way past the countless doors on both sides of the corridor, trying to get a feel for where the center would be. After a half hour of walking through countless corridors and endless flights of stairs, Rief felt he was getting close.

Walking down a hallway he was sure was close enough to the center, he felt something cold run down his spine.

Magic.

Rief half-turned when he was hit as if by a brick wall with a spell. Rief discovered, much to his unpleasant surprise, that he couldn’t move.

“Well, looks like I’m **** out of luck,” he thought to himself.

Rief heard footsteps coming down the corridor, but he couldn’t see that far behind him. The footsteps were sequenced, calculated. A figure entered Rief’s field of vision. A magician, obviously Thaum Cigruta himself, wearing a flowing blue robe and sporting a long black and graying beard. He looked frail, but Rief knew that he shouldn’t be deceived by his demeanor.

“So, you’re the great thief of magicians are you? What’s your name again? Rief?”

The magician entered full view and stood before Rief.

“I have to hand it to you kid, you must have a lot of courage to come in here and try to take what is mine, speaking of which.” Cigruta took a couple of steps towards Rief and dug into his pouch, pulling out the gargoyle statue and holding it before Rief, “I believe this also belongs to me.”

“What are you talking about?” Rief asked, surprised that he could use his voice. “I stole that just the other day from a different magician, who by the way, won’t be able to walk steadily for awhile, so I suggest you let me go before you get yourself into too much trouble.”

Suddenly Cigruta changed in appearance right before Rief’s eyes, becoming shorter and muscular, taking on the appearance of the magician from the other day.

“I believe I can walk just fine,” Cigruta said, changing back before a stunned Rief. Cigruta then pulled up his robe to reveal two small circular scars located directly below his kneecaps.

“It was you I encountered yesterday? That’s impossible.” Rief said in disbelief.

“You’ve been stirring up a lot of trouble in the magician community recently Rief, we don’t gather often but, you’ve been troublesome enough for us to decide that something should be done about you.” Thaum looked at Rief menacingly, “I contacted your friend Hawker anonymously and told him about a job. I must say, you put on a pleasant show the other day when you stole that statue, I was even surprised that you managed to get a couple of shots off on me. But when I was ultimately unable to capture you there, I decided to take another crack at it so to speak.”

Rief managed to wiggle his hand, it was a start, “So what? You’re going to kill me? What about Hawker?”

“Oh please, we both know that without you, Hawker will be nothing. A thief willing to take on magicians is quite rare, one only pops up every few hundred years. I think-“ was all Thaum managed to get out before a knife came whirling at his head.

Thaum ducked the blade thrown from Rief’s free hand having strained against the spell, but his concentration was broken and the spell he cast on Rief was destroyed. Thaum angrily hurled more stunning spells at Rief, but it was all in vain. Rief was ready for them this time. Dodging the blasts, Rief took his bow and knocked two arrows, sending them cleanly into Thaum’s kneecaps for the second time this week.

“GOD DAMNIT!” Cigruta howled as he thumped to the ground. He reached to pull the arrows out, and as soon as he healed himself and got to his feet, Rief was turning the corner at the far end of the hall, out of sight.

“I love that shot,” Rief congratulated himself. Rief made his ways through the halls of the fortress, running at a full sprint. He knew magicians could use their magic to travel faster, but with his head start, Rief doubted it mattered.

Rief turned the corner into the entrance hall, but there was a strange blue field guarding the entrance across from the still shattered wooden door. Rief hurled himself against it, but he simply bounced off of it. Suddenly an alarm went off.

“INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!” Came a voice from nowhere. Suddenly two strange metal objects that looked like six metal poles strapped together dropped from the ceiling and aimed themselves at Rief. At this point, Thaum Cigruta turned the corner.

“What the hell is that!?” Rief shouted, pointing at the metal device.

“That my friend, is what we like to call a turret. And you should consider it an honor to be the first of this world to be targeted by one.”

The barrel on the turret started spinning faster and faster, when suddenly a bright light shot forth from it. And then Rief’s world went dark.
Report Spam   Logged

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2008, 02:26:49 am »

Chapter 4

Rief woke up in a darkened room, he was heavily bandaged above the waist and was lying in a stuffy bed. Rief looked under the blankets to see that he was wearing bland white and grey clothes that were unfamiliar to him. He looked around the room to find his equipment was nowhere to be found.

“Ugh. If I ever get out of this, Jack is so dead.”

Rief tried to get out of the bed only to find that he wasn’t full healed quite yet. Making close friends with the floor, Rief looked around the dim room until he spotted the only door in the room opening. Rief quickly rolled under the bed as Thaum walked in.

“Get out from under there boy. The floor isn’t a good place to rest up and it certainly doesn’t help that I haven’t gotten around to sweeping under there in decades.” Thaum barked.

Rief rolled out from under the bed covered in a thick layer of dust. Getting up painfully, Rief hauled himself onto the bed in a sitting position, facing his captor.

“Well congratulations, despite the turret’s best effort, you’re still alive, and it took a lot of work on my part to keep you that way.” Thaum went on.

“Why didn’t you let me die?” Rief asked.

“Because I never intended to kill you you idiot.” Thaum replied sharply.

“What about that whole ‘We’ve decided something should be done about you’ crap?”

“We wanted you out of the way, not dead. Besides, you’re not allowed to die yet, I still require your services.”

Rief stared at Cigruta blankly.

“As I said earlier, a thief willing to steal from magicians is very rare. Not a lot of mortals are willing to take on an opponent armed with the supernatural. Someone with your courage could be very useful if utilized properly.” Thaum went on.

“What exactly are you trying to say?” Rief asked.

“I’m offering you a job Rief. If a lowly thief who can steal from a magician is worth fearing, just think of what a thief with the help of a magician can accomplish.”

Rief looked at Thaum calmly, “You can’t be serious. What could you possibly need my help with?”

“That is to be revealed at a later date. As for now, get some rest and recover from those bullet wounds of yours.”

“Bullets?”

“Yes, bullets, those are what you got hit with the other day, it’s a small miracle that you’re still alive by the way, I’d just like to reiterate that. Anyway, I’m not surprised that you haven’t heard of them, those turrets were a gift from a friend of mine. Now then, if that’s everything for now, rest up. Advanced training starts tomorrow.” Thaum mentally turned off the lights and exited through the door. Rief didn’t have to try the handle to know that it was locked.
Report Spam   Logged

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2008, 02:27:10 am »

Chapter 5

Rief woke in the morning to a bright flash that filled his vision. Rubbing his eyes against the light, Rief squinted to see the form of Thaum Cigruta standing before him, holding a ball of light to light the room.

“Stand up boy, there’s work to be done! Follow me.”

Rief sat up on his bed and pushed himself off, chasing after Thaum’s diminishing form, his eyes still partially blinded from his wake up call.

Thaum led Rief through the countless halls of the fortress until they entered a door that led into a sprawling courtyard somewhere in the middle of the castle, which seemed to Rief to be somehow bigger than the castle itself. Rief spied a sturdy wooden box near the door.

“This is where we’ll start your training,” Thaum announced.

“Training for what exactly?”

“Another time Rief, another time. Now then...” The wooden box levitated over to Thaum’s side. Opening it, Thaum revealed Rief’s familiar old shoes that he’d had for ages. “I’ve taken the liberty of making some modifications to your footwear, I hope you don’t mind,”. Thaum chucked the shoes at Rief who swiftly caught them. As he caught them, Rief felt magic flood into his veins, pouring into him more powerfully than any trinket he’d ever stolen. Rief put the shoes on his feet and felt the sweet embrace of magic hugging his legs.

“What did you do to them?” Rief asked in wonder.

“Well, one of the charms I added let’s you do this,” Thaum pulled an object out from within his robe. It looked like a miniaturized turret. Without hesitation, Thaum aimed the object at Rief and pulled the trigger. A bright flash shot forth from the gun as Rief threw up his arms in a fetal defense. After a couple moments, Rief realized that nothing was happening.

Literally nothing.

The sound of the wind had stopped, the wildlife was silent. Rief looked up to see a small silver ball heading towards him at a snail’s pace. As soon as Rief stepped out of the objects path the tree directly behind him shattered in  a shower of splinters. The sounds of the world were restored.

“I got rid of your bullet problem.” Thaum stated, smiling broadly at his own handiwork.

“You did what?” Rief asked incredulously.
“Your shoes can now put your reflexes and speed into a hyper-state. Normally you have to activate the magic manually, but I theorized that your experience with magical objects would allow you to do it on instinct.” Thaum answered.

“And what would have happened to me if your theory was wrong?”

“Then my poor tree would be just fine right now.”

“Ignoring that, this is incredible!” Rief said while admiring his shoes, “Easily the most impressive charm work I’ve ever seen. And you did it in one day?”

“Well I did have to put in an all-nighter... I’d be careful with your shoes for now though, they put something of a strain on your muscles. Your body has never been put into a hyper-state before and it’s not fully used to it.”

Rief did feel a sudden wave of fatigue wash over him. “How long do the effects last?” Rief asked.

“For now, you shouldn’t use the hyper-state too frequently, but eventually your muscles will become used to it and you’ll be able to enter a hyper-state at any time with no ill-effects. Eventually, you won’t even need the shoes. Now then, onto the second lesson for today.”

Thaum mentally pushed the box next to Rief.

“Stand on the box Rief.”

Rief climbed onto the box. It was about two feet high, and looked like a generic wooden box.

“Now jump up and down.” Thaum demanded

“You’re joking.”

“I’ve never been more serious in my life. Jump up and down. Now.” Thaum demanded again.

Rief began jumping up and down. “How long do I have to do this for?” Rief asked.

“Give it a second.”

“Give what a second?” Rief asked, still jumping up and down.

“Alright, you can stop. Now then, look down.”

Rief looked down only to realize that Thaum had mentally pushed the box three feet to his left. Rief was standing on thin air.

“Should I be worried?” Rief asked, still floating two feet above the ground.

“If you want to. Not much reason to be though. I made another modification to your shoes. You can fly now.”

“Fly?”

“Yes. Well, it’s more like hovering really...”

“At any time?”

“As long as you’re wearing the shoes, yes”

Rief hit the ground with a thump. “This is amazing!”

“Consider it an up front payment for the services you will be providing me. Rest assured that there is plenty more where that came from.”

“What more could I possibly need? With shoes that can let me run that fast and fly, I can’t imagine anything that can stop me”

“Trust me Rief. For what I’ll be needing done, you’re going to need more help than super-powered footwear for what lies ahead. Now then, I’ll leave you to your practices. Don’t try to escape though, you’ll just end up hitting an invisible wall about 200 feet up. We’ll continue with our next lesson tomorrow.”

Thaum opened the door leading back into the castle and took his leave.
Report Spam   Logged

A Duck
Dmax
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Dmax the always adorable
Mood: Dead

ME!

« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2008, 06:40:18 pm »

i forgot about this, gaffit...
Report Spam   Logged
Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:05:36 pm »

I've actually been thinking about getting back on this recently. I have a lot of schoolwork to catch up on, but once that's been cleared, I wouldn't mind continuing the story.
Report Spam   Logged

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #12 on: 04 October, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »

An update for anyone who cares.

I'm working on this story and I want to finish it(Or at least get very far into it) before I start posting it. Otherwise I'm just gonna crap out half-way through.

I'm currently at Chapter 13, and the story is going to be a lot longer if it's completed.

Just FYI.
Report Spam   Logged

Cavernous Sack Glutton
Sacred Warrior

Mood: Happy

First rate retard, the one and only Goldensaver

« Reply #13 on: 19 March, 2009, 11:09:39 am »

post the other chapters!!!! i just started reading today and its an epic adventure. i'd love to read more! good story.
Report Spam   Logged

Also a happy glutton of Nutjaculation
Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2009, 09:29:19 am »

Since I'm not gonna get a chance to continue this story for awhile due to other stuff, I'm going to put up what I've finished. Hope you enjoy it.

Chapter 6

Rief continued practicing over the next couple days. He had no trouble staying in the air, and he could stay in hyper-state for up to 30 seconds without being overcome with exhaustion. After a week of training, Thaum walked into the courtyard carrying his familiar bow, quiver, pouch and a chest surrounded by a strange aura that Rief couldn’t quite describe.

“Good to see you’re honing your skills. I’m pleased to say that you’ve been surpassing all my expectations lately.” Thaum said. “Now then, I’ve got something special for you.”

Rief jumped from the air and landed on the top of a tree, hopping to the ground with ease. “What have you got for me this time? I’m starting to get nervous, the more you give me, the bigger I expect this job to be.”

“Don’t kid yourself boy, what I expect you to do will be no small task. Now then, today I’ll be returning your equipment,” Thaum said as he passed Rief his familiar gear.

“What did you do to it this time?” Rief asked.

“To that junk? Nothing. Couldn’t improve it.”

“You said you’d be returning my equipment, where are my knives?”

“Those things? I got rid of them! Did you realized you’ve been fighting with such sub-par cutlery? It’s a wonder you’re still alive. So instead, I had to make these for you.” Thaum said he passed the strange chest to Rief.

Rief opened the box to find that it held a pair of sheathed daggers that looked long enough to be short-swords. Rief took one out of the chest and admired the sheath. It was intricately carved and yet looked simple with such a balance between the two that it couldn’t be mistaken for anything less than a master’s work. Rief unsheathed the dagger to reveal a blade that waved back and forth as it worked it’s way from the hilt to the tip. The hilt of the blade was short, made to be held in one hand.

Rief studied the blade, it was about a foot long and Rief found that it balanced perfectly, despite it’s odd shape. He also couldn’t help but feel the tingle of magic enter his arms as he held it aloft.

“Where did you get these? They look brand new,” Rief said, examining the entirety of the work.

“They should. I made them myself. These last couple of days have been very productive for me. I’m not used to working with weaponry, as a magician, I’ve never had a use for it. This has been something of a learning experience for me.”

“Alright,” Rief said getting to the point, “So what do they do?”

“Allow me to show you,” Thaum said while taking the remaining dagger from the chest and unsheathing it. Thaum then produced the now-familiar shape of a gun and pointed it directly at the blade. A shot rang out as the bullet hit the blade and bounced off, leaving it unharmed.

“It didn’t break.” Rief noted.

“And if I made it right, it never will.” Thaum said as he passed the other blade to Rief.

Rief put his bow and quiver on his back and sheathed his new daggers to his hips, getting used to their weight.

“I think it’s about time you told me what this is all about,” Rief said, “What am I supposed to do for you? You’ve had me training for days and now you’ve given me enough firepower to take down any enemy I could possibly come across. What is it you expect of me?”

“You claim you can defeat any enemy? Do you honestly believe that?”

“With this equipment? Yeah, I’m pretty confident in myself to be able to take on pretty much anything you can throw at me.”

“Very well then.” Thaum said, “If you can defeat any opponent, you should have no trouble with these.” With this, Thaum took a white powder from his robes and threw it across the courtyard, the powder shaping itself into a circle containing an intricate design. Rief knew enough about magic to recognize it as a summoning circle. The white powder began slowly changing color between red and blue, changing color each time faster than before.

Finally the colors combined into a violent purple, when what sounded like a bolt of lightning struck the ground, and a white light filled Rief‘s vision, forcing him to throw his arms protectively in front of his head. Rief uncovered his eyes to see two massive figures standing before him, both twice as tall as he was, one glowed red, with the air around him radiating with heat, while the other was composed of solid blue, the frozen air falling around his body.

Before Rief could blink the red being darted forward and brought down his fist on top of Rief. Rief entered hyper-state and jumped out of the way of the creatures strike, just in time to see the blue creature charge towards him, bringing it’s knee into Rief’s stomach in mid-air, and sending Rief flying into the courtyard’s wall.

Rief landed on the ground harshly and looked at his tunic, seeing that the area where the creature hit had painfully frozen over. Rief looked up to see the two beings standing before him. Waiting for him to get up so they could continue the fight.

“Screw playing fair.” Rief said to himself as he entered hyper-state and notcheded an arrow, sending it into the red creature’s shoulder. Rief thought he had hit the creature as his hand went to his shoulder, but then he saw the blazing embers coming from it’s massive enclosed fist. The red being put his fist in front of itself and opened it to reveal the burnt remains of the arrow as an ominous smirk spread across the creature’s face. 

“****” Rief said as the red creature ran towards him. Rief tried to defend himself, but the massive being overpowered him and tackled him into the courtyard wall, creating a large dent in it. The being held Rief there, it’s enflamed form burning Rief all over. The creature then wrapped it’s arms around Rief and held him tight against it’s massive chest. The creature then turned around to face the blue creature, who had a devious grin spread across his face. The blue creature hit Rief four times before he lost consciousness.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: