Ultimate Paradise
15 April, 2024, 11:26:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

360 vs PS3 vs Wii

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 vs PS3 vs Wii  (Read 1059 times)
Rai
empirical wwizard of wwhite science
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Raizor
Mood: ...

« Reply #45 on: 31 May, 2008, 03:11:14 pm »

It's looking more like the 360 will end up in third place now, actually.

Doubt it, though the bottom two will be close. I'm pretty sure that the 360 will be in the middle, though with more older systems succumbing to hardware problems that Microsoft Games seem adamant in not searching and purging, it's certainly possible.

Well the PS3 is picking up some steam, and in its first year, it sold more than the 360's first year (or so I've heard)... But I guess it depends on if they can keep that up, and if it will even make a difference before the generation ends.
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #46 on: 31 May, 2008, 03:14:10 pm »

The Wii doesn't have that many "big hit" games.Although some of the "big hit" games it does have out are quite good.

The PS3 did have a lot of "big hit" games going for it until they were reviewed and most of them were considered disappointments.But like the Wii it does have its share of good games.Possibly even more then the Wii does ATM.

The 360 I don't really care that much about.Although I will admit it has some badass games *CoughBioShockCough*

N...No... Bioshock wasn't even that good. >_> The background story and graphics.... that's it.

You're in the minority with that opinion, it seems.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #47 on: 31 May, 2008, 03:19:37 pm »

Until Nintendo is willing to stop constantly appealing to the lowest common denominator (lowest common age) and not advance in terms of hardware/online capabilities, then the company will do worse than Microsoft and Sony. If you don't believe this, then just look at XBox Live and how much longevity games now have solely because of good online play; if Brawl had an online set-up that wasn't based on safety for children (freind codes), then I would still be playing it. Having reasonable online-multiplayer for their games would appeal to a demographic of which normally would not bother playing Nintendo games.
Doing worse how? I mean, I agree with you, I despise how Nintendo is trying to appeal more to the Casuals, but clearly it's a strategic method of raking in cash. I'm not happy about it, the cores aren't happy about it, but does Nintendo care what the cores think? Probably not, because the casuals are the ones Nintendo focus on now. There's a reason Wii Fit is going to do much better in sales than Brawl, and that's because of the casuals.

I for one am also sick of it. I love Nintendo, but I hate their recent attitude with core gamers. They try to justify their actions by saying stuff like, "We're trying to create core gamers out of casual gamers," but once they've already done that, what can the "new" core gamers play? It wouldn't be surprising if they switch to 360 since that console has more quality games.

I just wonder what'll happen with the next-gen. I don't want Nintendo to become a software company. I want them to actually make good games on a good console, and to attract the third-party developers. They really need to step it up.

I wouldn't throw the bulk of Nintendo on the the casual bandwagon, considering that the DS has its library of wild cards, like TWEWY, Phoenix Wright and arguably the mystery dungeon games (Like Izuna more than Pokemon), plus tons more that made it overseas. However, the Wii, while the system virtually looks like a wild card that would likely be checked out by only the most devoted, has certainly been aimed at the casuals, with much less exceptions than on the DS. Fancy that.

It's looking more like the 360 will end up in third place now, actually.

Doubt it, though the bottom two will be close. I'm pretty sure that the 360 will be in the middle, though with more older systems succumbing to hardware problems that Microsoft Games seem adamant in not searching and purging, it's certainly possible.

Well the PS3 is picking up some steam, and in its first year, it sold more than the 360's first year (or so I've heard)... But I guess it depends on if they can keep that up, and if it will even make a difference before the generation ends.

That would be my opinion on the PS3's place as well. It might just end in first, IF Kutaragi's fall continues to benefit the system. Then again, it has the potential to flop, though with the dominance of Blu-ray, more and more people are looking to the PS3 for functionality, though I'm sure the Blu-ray player in it is stripped down.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #48 on: 31 May, 2008, 06:30:03 pm »

I wouldn't throw the bulk of Nintendo on the the casual bandwagon, considering that the DS has its library of wild cards, like TWEWY, Phoenix Wright and arguably the mystery dungeon games (Like Izuna more than Pokemon), plus tons more that made it overseas. However, the Wii, while the system virtually looks like a wild card that would likely be checked out by only the most devoted, has certainly been aimed at the casuals, with much less exceptions than on the DS. Fancy that.
The DS is amazing. It has a fair share of casual and core games, but I'm talking about the Wii, a console where third-party developers like Ubisoft (which has become the worst developer ever) throw crap on while Nintendo themselves churn out casual games like there's no tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #49 on: 31 May, 2008, 07:46:06 pm »

With Blu-Ray gaining popularity(Though I still don't see anyone I know have a Blu-Ray player of sorts) it might be PS2 all over gain, where half the reason people buying it is to get a cheaper player.
Report Spam   Logged

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #50 on: 31 May, 2008, 08:20:12 pm »

Blu-ray isn't "gaining popularity", Blu-ray's ****ing won.
Report Spam   Logged
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #51 on: 31 May, 2008, 08:23:47 pm »

Blu-ray isn't "gaining popularity", Blu-ray's ****ing won.
I still don't see anyone actually having a blu-ray player at least where I am. >_>
Report Spam   Logged

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #52 on: 31 May, 2008, 09:02:33 pm »

Obviously you aren't going to see everyone around you with fancy new blu-ray players when you're on the internet all day.
Report Spam   Logged
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #53 on: 31 May, 2008, 09:23:17 pm »

Obviously you aren't going to see everyone around you with fancy new blu-ray players when you're on the internet all day.
I'm not on the internet all day, in fact I've mostly been starting to only come on during at the earliest in the late afternoon. I've been to many family members houses and a few friends houses, and none of them have or are thinknig about getting a Blu-Ray player, and only one friend has a PS3.
Report Spam   Logged

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #54 on: 31 May, 2008, 09:24:08 pm »

It was a joke.

And you can't make an accurate assessment based on people you know.
Report Spam   Logged
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #55 on: 31 May, 2008, 09:34:03 pm »

How the heck was that a joke? Tch, just forget it already.
Report Spam   Logged

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #56 on: 31 May, 2008, 09:53:23 pm »

If you couldn't tell that was a joke, there's no hope for you.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #57 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:58:59 am »

The funny part is is that Raizor is on here all the time.
Report Spam   Logged

Parrothair (Solid Snake)
Legendary Mercenary
Holy Ruler

Showtime

« Reply #58 on: 01 June, 2008, 12:40:56 pm »

The Blu-Ray on the PS3 works great, I love it.  We use it as a Blu-Ray player, it's just going to take people a while to get used to it like it did with DVD's.  It takes a little, obviously DVD's went faster, but still.  With all the HD stuff going on now it's time....  Yep.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #59 on: 01 June, 2008, 12:52:11 pm »

It's all very well for Nintendo trying to get more people into gaming, but I'm not sure how well that plan will work simply because the "casual" games so vastly outnumber the "non-casual" ones.

IMO, it's the fault of the 3rd-party developers. They just see the Wii as a way of making easy money, especially in the case of film & TV tie-ins, so they do a really half-assed job instead of bothering to actually try and make decent games. Then again, it's partially Nintendo's fault for allowing such bilge on their consoles.

Also, too many developers feel they have to use the Wii remote and, as a result, utilise it very poorly. Look at the vast majority of first-party Wii games: most of them use the controller well, or give you a choice between different control schemes. Brawl & Mario Kart, for example. If developers actually spent time with multi-format releases on Wii, instead of just making a PS3 & 360 game then slapping Wii controls on (not to mention removing a bunch of stuff from that version), we might have more decent games to choose from. It's the same case with DS. (Also, with DS, I'm sick of the constant flood of "Imagine...", "...Training", and animal-care games.)

I agree with Zeldafan on all her points. I play Nintendo games simply because I find them more fun than the vast majority of things on PS3 or 360. I don't really care if Mario, Samus & Link lack personalities, since I find gameplay much more important. Also, having seen what's happened to Sonic, I'm not sure I really want Mario, Samus & Link to be given greater personalities. They can backfire all too easily.

All that said, if I were to get another console (in other words, if I were given enough money), I'd get a PS3 if only to have access to more Square titles.

Basically, I'm backing Nintendo, but I agree that they need to pull their fingers out and start catering more for "non-casuals". If they can properly strike the balance between casual & non-casual, I think they could go very far this generation. They also need to knock some sense into third-party developers' heads and teach them to use the controllers properly.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: