Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 12:28:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Are you tired of people saying anime sucks?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you tired of people saying anime sucks?  (Read 618 times)
zeldafan42
If you want to get back in touch, find me on tumblr
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: ZeldaFan
Mood: Curious

A nostalgic wind blows....

« on: 18 July, 2008, 11:32:49 pm »

Everywhere I go on the Internet, I see people bashing anime, and claiming it sucks. Well, I for one am sick and tired of this ignorant use of the term "anime".

The word anime can be used to describe pretty much any piece of Japanese animation. So when people use the phrase "anime sucks", they're making a gross generalization that personally makes me very upset.

So, I decided to do something about it. I decided it was time to unite the anime fans of the world. It's time we start a movement to stop people from misusing the word "anime" like this.

Yes we realize some anime sucks. But not all of it sucks. And in fact, some of it is so good that it gets awards and recognized by various organizations. In fact, one piece of Japanese animation in particular, a certain anime movie, was of such high quality, it won an Oscar.

I'm talking about Spirited Away.

I have recently constructed what I call the "Spirited Away defense".

When people use the phrase "All anime sucks" or some variation of it, what you do is post and debunk their claim by explaining "Anime is a very broad term that can be used to describe any form of Japanese animation. In 2002, the animated Japanese movie Spirited Away won the Oscar for "Best Animated Feature". This is especially notable because it beat out four other movies to win this Oscar. Now, obviously, the fact that it won an Oscar over four other movies goes to prove that a large group of people found Spirited Away to be of high quality. And by large group of people, I mean "a large group of people who aren't necessarily anime fans, and I bet many of them don't even know what anime is". So obviously, Spirited Away is a good movie. But, by the broad definition of anime, Spirited Away is an anime. So if you say all anime sucks, you're also ignorantly criticizing a great, Oscar winning movie."

Of course, the defense doesn't have to be an exact copy of my version. That's just a guideline to guide your own attempts at the "Spirited Away Defense".

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:38:14 pm »

Spirited Away was awesome.

Akira was better, I thought.

so I won't say that all anime sucks, I'll say that the majoirty of anime I've seen did not entertain me, with a few exceptions (including the above two)
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Ahriman
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:40:06 pm »

To be fair, it didn't really have much competition in it's category. I don't believe any Pixar movies had come out that year. Either way, Spirited away was a fantastic movie.

And you could use and Miyazaki film for this, really. Hell, Princess Mononoke was the second highest grossing film during the 20th century. (the first being Titanic) And one thing you're forgetting; the people that prance about saying anime sucks aren't smart enough to comprehend any valid argument.
Report Spam   Logged
zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:48:08 pm »

*nods head*

There are some great series out there besides anime movies.

One Piece (the original Japanese version, not the 4Kids version or the censored Funimation version.) is a great series. Even from an unbiased literary standpoint, it's eons ahead of Naruto and Bleach in quality. The story and its characters are just plain out good.

Now, in all honesty, shounen anime are a genre with a pre-packaged fanbase. If you like one shounen anime, chances are, you'll like a lot of the other series.

But if you look beyond that to some of the more complex animes, you get some good series.

For example, Ranma 1/2. One part martial arts shounen series, one part harem romance series, one part gender bender comedy series, with just a couple hints of shoujo style romance mixed in. It's a great series that doesn't feel as a generic as alot of other shounen anime.

To be fair, it didn't really have much competition in it's category. I don't believe any Pixar movies had come out that year. Either way, Spirited away was a fantastic movie.

And you could use and Miyazaki film for this, really. Hell, Princess Mononoke was the second highest grossing film during the 20th century. (the first being Titanic) And one thing you're forgetting; the people that prance about saying anime sucks aren't smart enough to comprehend any valid argument.

Well, you have to realize...it's the people who ignorantly make the topics that aren't smart enough to comprehend any valid argument. There are still some other, more intelligent people that, whether because of peer pressure or some other reason, will blindly follow pre-conceived notions and mindlessly say anime sucks, yet when presented with an intelligent argument, you may just change their mind.

It's for people like that, the ones smart enough to get what I'm saying that I made the "Spirited Away defense" for.
Report Spam   Logged
Dusty Starr
Bad Girl
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Dustin (Formerly)
Mood: Sad

Derp it!

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2008, 09:36:35 pm »

I agree with everything you just said Michal, I just can't think of any way to comment on it.

Thank you for your "Spirited Away Defense".
Report Spam   Logged

But... if our leaders actually reflected the wants of the people... then we'd be a democracy, and that's just gross.
Stalin was that **** guy who pops the ball during a basketball game and ruins it for everyone.
T-1000
XtotheCROSStotheINSANITY
Holy Ruler

best machine ever

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2008, 09:40:12 pm »

I think people say that anime sucks is because of the difference in cultures.Shoot watching some anime made me think all Japanese people are perverted. All Isay was young girls with boobs and slutty clothing. Lil boys that got their ass wooped by older men. Girls getting their ass wooped by older men. But some are not bad and not only aobut "fan sevice". Although you dont have many anime to support your "spirited away" defense.
Report Spam   Logged

zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2008, 10:15:23 pm »

Actually, if I felt like it, I could compile a decent sized list of animes that are of a much higher quality than the typical shounen anime.

I just use Spirited Away as a main point because it won an Oscar. Which is a pretty big deal.

But like Ahriman said, you can pretty much use any Miyazaki film.
Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind...the list goes on.

As for high quality anime series...Ranma 1/2...JoJo's Bizarre Adventure....Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (generally considered one of the best animes made in recent years)....One Piece (the original Japanese version ).....I could come up with more, but I think you get the point.
Report Spam   Logged
Dusty Starr
Bad Girl
Semi-epic Post Whore

Derp it!

« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2008, 10:23:49 pm »

Cowboy Bebop was voted one of the best Animes out there.  If there is a list, that should be on it.
Report Spam   Logged

But... if our leaders actually reflected the wants of the people... then we'd be a democracy, and that's just gross.
Stalin was that **** guy who pops the ball during a basketball game and ruins it for everyone.
zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:13:52 pm »

Cowboy Bebop was voted one of the best Animes out there.  If there is a list, that should be on it.

Ah, yes, sorry. Forgot about that one. Cowboy Bebop was great too.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2008, 02:01:20 am »

I'd like to say I agree, but every post of yours is riddled with fangirlism, bias, and the use of general conception. Still, I agree with the general concept.

And I'm going to say that anime is hated in the same vein Halo, Call of Duty and GTA are hated; it's insanely popular.

EDIT: Worse example: people calling others "weeaboos" (dont paddl me plz) because they mentioned something that has anything to do with anime. It both makes me laugh and depresses me when some idiot calls me a weeaboo; me.
« Last Edit: 20 July, 2008, 02:03:36 am by Beelzemon » Report Spam   Logged
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2008, 02:07:54 am »

It both makes me laugh and depresses me when some idiot calls me a weeaboo; me.
Weeaboo.
Report Spam   Logged

Dusty Starr
Bad Girl
Semi-epic Post Whore

Derp it!

« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2008, 02:33:45 am »

Um, what is a weeaboo?
Report Spam   Logged

Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2008, 01:55:39 pm »

Um, what is a weeaboo?
Someone who likes things from japanese culture a bit too much, like using stupid words such as "Kawaii" in a english sentence.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #13 on: 22 July, 2008, 05:29:46 pm »

Um, what is a weeaboo?
Someone who likes things from japanese culture a bit too much, like using stupid words such as "Kawaii" in a english sentence.
^this is the extreme version. Using Kawaii in a sentence doesn't make a weeaboo, though some people think it does.

It's the same as calling someone a nazi if they use a german word in a sentence.

And I'm basically fed up with people saying anime is for children, "becuz iz a cartoonz. Lulz u watch cartoonz nub u shud wach moviz with gunz and rap and bloodz lololol that iz adult olo"

I can point to MILLIONS of anime series not for kids.

Elfen lied
One piece
Naruto
BLeach
Tengen toppa gurren lagann
Love hina
Mahou sensei negima
FMA
Blood+
Fairy tail
The .hack series
Cowboy bepop
Shakugan no shana
Excel saga
puni puni poemi
Mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha

ANd tons and tons of anime are NOT for children. They deal with death, there's blood, tehre's ecchi, there are serious issues like abandonment, insanity, mortality, and so many other mature themes.

Saying anime is for kids, is like saying "Batman begins" is for 3-5 year olds. Retarded, unnecessary, and completely assidiotic.
Report Spam   Logged

Ahriman
« Reply #14 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:33:29 pm »

Um, what is a weeaboo?
^this is the extreme version. Using Kawaii in a sentence doesn't make a weeaboo, though some people think it does.

It's the same as calling someone a nazi if they use a german word in a sentence.

And I'm basically fed up with people saying anime is for children, "becuz iz a cartoonz. Lulz u watch cartoonz nub u shud wach moviz with gunz and rap and bloodz lololol that iz adult olo"

I can point to MILLIONS of anime series not for kids.

Elfen lied
One piece
Naruto
BLeach
Tengen toppa gurren lagann
Love hina
Mahou sensei negima
FMA
Blood+
Fairy tail
The .hack series
Cowboy bepop
Shakugan no shana
Excel saga
puni puni poemi
Mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha

ANd tons and tons of anime are NOT for children. They deal with death, there's blood, tehre's ecchi, there are serious issues like abandonment, insanity, mortality, and so many other mature themes.

Saying anime is for kids, is like saying "Batman begins" is for 3-5 year olds. Retarded, unnecessary, and completely assidiotic.

Oh geez, where do I begin with this post?

Firstly, a weeaboo is, as SA2 posted, somebody that obsesses over Japan. And they do have a tendency to use Japanese words in otherwise english sentences that are totally pointless and out of place. Now, I ask, why would you use the word kawaii in place of an english word if you were not a weeaboo? That's doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

But more importantly, the second part of your post. I'm not going to go through each one individually, but most of what you posted are shonen, which means, well, the target audience is boys, as opposed to men. That's not to say anime is for kids, though, that's like saying TV is for kids because there are kid's shows on it.

And sorry if I sound like I'm being mean, I'm really not trying to be. The main thing is it bugged me that you said Naruto isn't made for kids. <_<
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: