Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 02:24:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Are you tired of people saying anime sucks?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you tired of people saying anime sucks?  (Read 619 times)
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #15 on: 23 July, 2008, 06:58:21 am »

Um, what is a weeaboo?
Someone who likes things from japanese culture a bit too much, like using stupid words such as "Kawaii" in a english sentence.
^this is the extreme version. Using Kawaii in a sentence doesn't make a weeaboo, though some people think it does.

It's the same as calling someone a nazi if they use a german word in a sentence.

And I'm basically fed up with people saying anime is for children, "becuz iz a cartoonz. Lulz u watch cartoonz nub u shud wach moviz with gunz and rap and bloodz lololol that iz adult olo"

I can point to MILLIONS of anime series not for kids.

Elfen lied
One piece
Naruto
BLeach
Tengen toppa gurren lagann
Love hina
Mahou sensei negima
FMA
Blood+
Fairy tail
The .hack series
Cowboy bepop
Shakugan no shana
Excel saga
puni puni poemi
Mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha

ANd tons and tons of anime are NOT for children. They deal with death, there's blood, tehre's ecchi, there are serious issues like abandonment, insanity, mortality, and so many other mature themes.

Saying anime is for kids, is like saying "Batman begins" is for 3-5 year olds. Retarded, unnecessary, and completely assidiotic.

Oh geez, where do I begin with this post?

Firstly, a weeaboo is, as SA2 posted, somebody that obsesses over Japan. And they do have a tendency to use Japanese words in otherwise english sentences that are totally pointless and out of place. Now, I ask, why would you use the word kawaii in place of an english word if you were not a weeaboo? That's doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
We completely disagree on this then. If you japanese culture references, japanese history references, japanese city references, and more than 3 japanese words in a sentence, then you're obviously obsessed with Japan.

Using a SINGLE japanese word in a sentence does not make you obsessed with Japan. It means you think the word is cool/awesome/cute/win/whatever. IT doesn't mean the country is awesome.

Same as you, I'm not trying to be mean. THe following might SOUND mean, but please understand that I'm not intentionally trying to be.

Lets use your logic then. The word computer. Everyone in denmark uses it. Everyone in sweden uses it. Everyone in norway uses it, hell I bet a lot of countries use it. Does that mean everyone is obsessed with America, or any other english speaking country?

No. Ergo, flawed logic.

But more importantly, the second part of your post. I'm not going to go through each one individually, but most of what you posted are shonen, which means, well, the target audience is boys, as opposed to men. That's not to say anime is for kids, though, that's like saying TV is for kids because there are kid's shows on it.

And sorry if I sound like I'm being mean, I'm really not trying to be. The main thing is it bugged me that you said Naruto isn't made for kids. <_<
We're talking standards here.

In japan, 70% of anime is made for teens, or kids, that parts true. However, because the japanese have a different culture, they're used to things like blood, death and borderline **** on the T.V.

Just as an example, american kids aren't. Because their parents have the flawed logic that "If the kids see blood, they will become serial killers and murder over 1000000000 people."

Anime is for japanese kids. If just parents in the western world weren't so god damn sensitive, I can agree to some point that anime would indeed be for kids.
Report Spam   Logged

Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« Reply #16 on: 24 July, 2008, 05:15:20 am »

>_>
<_<

"Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids!"
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Rai
empirical wwizard of wwhite science
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Raizor
Mood: ...

« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2008, 09:41:13 am »

Most anime isn't very good.

Just like most cartoons, most TV in general, most music, most manga, most books of any kind, and most movies most media also aren't isn't very good.
Report Spam   Logged
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #18 on: 24 July, 2008, 11:50:49 am »

But some anime excels at everything, and are so awesome and epic that they become instant classics (I.E Tengen toppa Gurren lagann)
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #19 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:18:57 pm »

Sweeping generalizations such as "all _____ sucks" get no attention from me at all. I can't think of any category/classification/etc. that can be put in that blank and make the statement as a whole sound reasonable.
Report Spam   Logged

Ahriman
« Reply #20 on: 25 July, 2008, 10:31:50 pm »

Um, what is a weeaboo?
Someone who likes things from japanese culture a bit too much, like using stupid words such as "Kawaii" in a english sentence.
^this is the extreme version. Using Kawaii in a sentence doesn't make a weeaboo, though some people think it does.

It's the same as calling someone a nazi if they use a german word in a sentence.

And I'm basically fed up with people saying anime is for children, "becuz iz a cartoonz. Lulz u watch cartoonz nub u shud wach moviz with gunz and rap and bloodz lololol that iz adult olo"

I can point to MILLIONS of anime series not for kids.

Elfen lied
One piece
Naruto
BLeach
Tengen toppa gurren lagann
Love hina
Mahou sensei negima
FMA
Blood+
Fairy tail
The .hack series
Cowboy bepop
Shakugan no shana
Excel saga
puni puni poemi
Mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha

ANd tons and tons of anime are NOT for children. They deal with death, there's blood, tehre's ecchi, there are serious issues like abandonment, insanity, mortality, and so many other mature themes.

Saying anime is for kids, is like saying "Batman begins" is for 3-5 year olds. Retarded, unnecessary, and completely assidiotic.

Oh geez, where do I begin with this post?

Firstly, a weeaboo is, as SA2 posted, somebody that obsesses over Japan. And they do have a tendency to use Japanese words in otherwise english sentences that are totally pointless and out of place. Now, I ask, why would you use the word kawaii in place of an english word if you were not a weeaboo? That's doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
We completely disagree on this then. If you japanese culture references, japanese history references, japanese city references, and more than 3 japanese words in a sentence, then you're obviously obsessed with Japan.

Using a SINGLE japanese word in a sentence does not make you obsessed with Japan. It means you think the word is cool/awesome/cute/win/whatever. IT doesn't mean the country is awesome.

Same as you, I'm not trying to be mean. THe following might SOUND mean, but please understand that I'm not intentionally trying to be.

Lets use your logic then. The word computer. Everyone in denmark uses it. Everyone in sweden uses it. Everyone in norway uses it, hell I bet a lot of countries use it. Does that mean everyone is obsessed with America, or any other english speaking country?

No. Ergo, flawed logic.

But more importantly, the second part of your post. I'm not going to go through each one individually, but most of what you posted are shonen, which means, well, the target audience is boys, as opposed to men. That's not to say anime is for kids, though, that's like saying TV is for kids because there are kid's shows on it.

And sorry if I sound like I'm being mean, I'm really not trying to be. The main thing is it bugged me that you said Naruto isn't made for kids. <_<
We're talking standards here.

In japan, 70% of anime is made for teens, or kids, that parts true. However, because the japanese have a different culture, they're used to things like blood, death and borderline **** on the T.V.

Just as an example, american kids aren't. Because their parents have the flawed logic that "If the kids see blood, they will become serial killers and murder over 1000000000 people."

Anime is for japanese kids. If just parents in the western world weren't so god damn sensitive, I can agree to some point that anime would indeed be for kids.

1. I can't really say, as I don't live in Denmark, Sweden, or Norway, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to assume the word has been more or less assimilated into common speech if so many people say it. This would be the same as using the word tsunami in English. It isn't an English word, but it's not abnormal to be using it. Kawaii, however, is not something used anyone I've ever met that...well, isn't a weeaboo.

2. Naruto is completely uncensored (I think >_>) in America and still has a rating of TVPG. Several of the other shows you listed have a TV14 rating, but my main point was against Naruto. I agree for the most part though.

Sweeping generalizations such as "all _____ sucks" get no attention from me at all. I can't think of any category/classification/etc. that can be put in that blank and make the statement as a whole sound reasonable.

All emo music sucks.
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: 25 July, 2008, 10:34:02 pm »

No, it's not completely uncensored.
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #22 on: 25 July, 2008, 10:36:40 pm »

No, it's not completely uncensored.

What's censored? Maybe some of the stuff Jiraiya says, but I don't know what else. <_<
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #23 on: 25 July, 2008, 11:12:02 pm »

Neither do I, I just know it isn't completely uncensored <_<
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #24 on: 25 July, 2008, 11:23:42 pm »

All emo music sucks.

Rites of Spring and Sunny Day Real Estate kick ass. Other than that, the genre is garbage.
« Last Edit: 25 July, 2008, 11:51:57 pm by The Creatures of Ray Harryhausen » Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: 26 July, 2008, 12:03:56 am »

All emo music sucks.

Rites of Spring and Sunny Day Real Estate kick ass. Other than that, the genre is garbage.

There are exceptions, therefore the "All emo music sucks" statement fails.
Report Spam   Logged

Ahriman
« Reply #26 on: 26 July, 2008, 12:45:52 am »

All emo music sucks.

There are exceptions, therefore the "All emo music sucks" statement fails.

Uh... All vacuums suck.

>__>
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: 26 July, 2008, 01:05:24 am »

My vacuum is broken, it can only do reverse now.
Report Spam   Logged
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #28 on: 26 July, 2008, 05:18:49 am »

1. I can't really say, as I don't live in Denmark, Sweden, or Norway, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to assume the word has been more or less assimilated into common speech if so many people say it. This would be the same as using the word tsunami in English. It isn't an English word, but it's not abnormal to be using it. Kawaii, however, is not something used anyone I've ever met that...well, isn't a weeaboo.

2. Naruto is completely uncensored (I think >_>) in America and still has a rating of TVPG. Several of the other shows you listed have a TV14 rating, but my main point was against Naruto. I agree for the most part though.

1. It has, but it's the same thing. It's a word that isn't from ones own language. Okay, perhaps bad example... lets move back to my first example, with german. Was John F. Kennedy a nazi? He used german words in his speech. "Ich bien ein berliner" (Spelt rongg). He used the words Ich, bien and ein, words taht aren't integrated in english. If kawaii makes you a weeaboo, then Kennedy must have been a nazi times... three.

Again, not trying to be mean.. just using harsh examples <_<

2. Okay, Naruto isn't the most adult anime. But it's more serious than stuff like Captain planet, power rangers, Barney the damn dinosaur and other kid stuff.

And as to my knowledge, it isn't fully uncensored... they don't show most of the blood. You see a tiny trickle of blood, but in the original there was more blood.
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: 26 July, 2008, 05:36:22 pm »

My vacuum is broken, it can only do reverse now.

And there you go.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: