Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 03:54:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

ZR Rant time: One Piece fan characters

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZR Rant time: One Piece fan characters  (Read 907 times)
zeldafan42
If you want to get back in touch, find me on tumblr
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: ZeldaFan
Mood: Curious

A nostalgic wind blows....

« on: 06 September, 2008, 03:35:41 pm »

Ok, browsing deviantArt and Fanfiction.net has recently exposed me to some particularly bad One Piece fan characters, and has made me want to rant about horrible One Piece fan characters.

First things first: Logia Fruits. You want a good clue that your new character is probably a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu? You gave them a Logia fruit. Logia fruits are probably the most powerful Devil Fruits, so it's only natural that you would want one. But seriously, the problem becomes the Logia types people come up with. It's always some super powerful, rare element. Like I recently read a One Piece fanfic with a Color Color Logia Fruit. It basically made the user into the Green Lantern, only they could make things out of colors besides green. Plus, like other Logia users, they could presumably turn into color, whatever that would mean.

Now...look at that. Can you say "over powered'? Hell, "color" doesn't make sense as an element! If there was a Color Color Fruit, it would probably be a Paramecium! NOT A LOGIA FRUIT!

And while we're on the subject of Logia Fruits, let me mention something that seems popular. The Mizu Mizu Fruit, or Water Water Fruit. ....yes, a Devil Fruit that lets you turn into and control water. Despite the fact that water CANCELS OUT DEVIL FRUIT POWERS, apparently turning themselves into water would not do anything negative to the user. *facepalm* It's bad enough we have a canon "Ice Ice Fruit" when Ice is just frozen water, but seeing as how most anime and video games treat Ice and Water as separate elements, I can forgive that one.
But a Fruit that gives you power over the one thing that is supposed to cancel out all Devil Fruit powers? NO!

You know, that's my biggest complaint. And now that I've ranted about that, I'm going to stop ranting. But I'm going to close this by making a simple checklist to help anybody making a One Piece fan character determine whether or not their character is a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu.

-is your character a Captain? (Can be forgiven if you're making an entire fan crew, since someone needs to be captain.)
-does you character have the "D" initial (The Will of D)?
-is your character a Logia devil fruit user?
-is your character related to an existing character? (Applies to all anime fandoms.)
-does your character develop a romantic relationship with a canon character? (Once again, all fandoms.)
-does your character have a bounty, and is so, how high is it? The higher your bounty, the more likely you're a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu.
-does your character have a tragic backstory?
-are they looking for vengeance?
-are they super good looking, or alternately, super badass looking?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gotenks
Anime
Flame Spirit

Mood: Horny

Gotenks

« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2008, 03:39:45 pm »

'k
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2008, 04:23:45 pm »

Summary-Fanfiction sucks, come up with your own ****ing idea.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2008, 04:33:18 pm »

Now, I'm going to exposition here for a little bit, so you don't have to read if you don't want.

The reason that I created Catastrophix is so that I can avoid barriers. He is omnipresent. No matter which fanfic you put Catastrophix in, he is still himself. He shows up everywhere, laughing and creating mayhem and saving the day as he pleases. His express purpose is to be there for fanfics. He is the ultimate crossover character, because he shows up everywhere. His powers may be different, maybe even his clothes or backstory. But it's him.

And on another note, while I do agree with your concerns, you have to remember that all of the characters, even the ones from the original work, are fictional.
Report Spam   Logged

I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2008, 04:43:31 pm »

Agreed.

Basically this rant can be used for all shows. DBZ, naruto, Bleach, Fairy tail, any series really.
Report Spam   Logged

Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2008, 04:43:45 pm »

I tend to dislike most fancharacters because they tend to be un-original(See Sonic fancharacters that are recolors or female) or made just so the author/artist can sex up a canon character without Pedophilia/Zoophilia(sp)/etc.

But some can be alright, Zulu was a black and yellow fox Sonic character(I was seven or eight mind you) before turning him into a fully original character with his own story, family tree, set of characters, worlds, etc.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #6 on: 06 September, 2008, 05:08:23 pm »

I tend to dislike most fancharacters because they tend to be un-original(See Sonic fancharacters that are recolors or female) or made just so the author/artist can sex up a canon character without Pedophilia/Zoophilia(sp)/etc.

But some can be alright, Zulu was a black and yellow fox Sonic character(I was seven or eight mind you) before turning him into a fully original character with his own story, family tree, set of characters, worlds, etc.
You know what the funny thing is? Catastrophix actually has his own story. I just stole him and modified him a little for the CoS.
Report Spam   Logged

Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2008, 05:28:28 pm »

Is he your own or someone elses?
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2008, 05:29:39 pm »

Is he your own or someone elses?
Mine.
Report Spam   Logged

IngSlayer
~Baffling Artist~
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Indifferent

« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2008, 05:52:48 pm »

ZR?

So, your name's ZeldaRan?
Report Spam   Logged
zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2008, 01:14:59 pm »

ZR?

So, your name's ZeldaRan?

<_< No...it stands for ZeldaRant. It's supposed to be redundant. *made up on the spot*

Fan characters can be interesting when done right.

Right now, I'm in the process of making my own fan-crew for One Piece.

Of course, to avoid said things that bother me, I've taken some precautions.

While my fan-crew has heard of the Strawhat Pirates, they probably will never meet them, and in all honesty, don't care about their existence.

The captain technically isn't a Devil Fruit user (I say technically because she owns a sword with Devil Fruit powers, but she didn't eat one herself. Also, it's a Paramecium fruit. )

None of the other crew members that do have Devil Fruits have Logia fruits.

The few Logia fruits I came up with, I'm saving for their enemies and/or ally crews.

And the Captain character actually doesn't even start the story as a pirate.

.....I may post the first chapter up here to see what you guys think of it.

It frustrates me so much when I try so hard to make decent fancharacters with believable abilities and who are balanced within the world they inhabit....and then you have people who make crappy characters like that and think it's a good idea.

Now, I'm going to exposition here for a little bit, so you don't have to read if you don't want.

The reason that I created Catastrophix is so that I can avoid barriers. He is omnipresent. No matter which fanfic you put Catastrophix in, he is still himself. He shows up everywhere, laughing and creating mayhem and saving the day as he pleases. His express purpose is to be there for fanfics. He is the ultimate crossover character, because he shows up everywhere. His powers may be different, maybe even his clothes or backstory. But it's him.

And on another note, while I do agree with your concerns, you have to remember that all of the characters, even the ones from the original work, are fictional.

Doesn't stop him from being a Gary-Stu. >_>

I've done something similar, but very different.

While some people would say this is bad writing, I've created a single central character template based on myself. This "Michal" character basically consists of aspects of my personality and appearance. Building off of this central "Michal" character build, I then create variations of her for different worlds and works of fiction.

Michal Ritter is the main character of my own original work of fiction. She's basically me, only with a bunch of special powers I'm not going to get into here.

Michal Tentsurugi is the main character of a giant amine crossover world idea I have. She's the character based on Bleach, and as a twist to the normal cliche, she's actually based on how I used to act rather than how I act now.

Aryll Ritter is the captain of the Seagull pirates. She's the captain of my fan-crew, and her only abilities is master swordsmanship and owning a sword with the powers of the Beam Beam Fruit. ( It allows the sword to shoot beams of energy. )

I have a version of Michal I use as a Bleach fan character with a lightning themed zanpakuto.

And I'm currently working on a version of this character that is a Naruto ninja.

It allows me to use the same basic character personality wise in multiple works of fiction. Without it actually being the same character.
The best part is, while it is technically an "author insertion" character, she rarely, if ever, interacts with canon characters...

And all versions of Michal aside from the Michal Ritter character of my original story I just made up for fun, usually for RPs and such.

So yeah, it's kind of lazy writing, but the character herself is a fun character to write, so I like to make variations on her.
Report Spam   Logged
Davidk92
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: ...

« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2008, 01:36:49 pm »

I made a fanfruit. Does that count?
Report Spam   Logged

zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2008, 01:43:57 pm »

Fanfruits are awesome.

<_< As long as they aren't Mizu Mizu Fruits.
Report Spam   Logged
Davidk92
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: ...

« Reply #13 on: 07 September, 2008, 01:50:37 pm »

Fanfruits are awesome.

Mine was the Glass Glass Fruit.

Though you've got me thinking.

EDIT: Actually forget it. You'll probably just flame me or yell at me, no matter what I have to say. Just like everyone else on this site. ¬_¬
« Last Edit: 07 September, 2008, 01:54:35 pm by Davidk92 » Report Spam   Logged

zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: 07 September, 2008, 01:58:42 pm »

Fanfruits are awesome.

Mine was the Glass Glass Fruit.

Though you've got me thinking.

EDIT: Actually forget it. You'll probably just flame me or yell at me, no matter what I have to say. Just like everyone else on this site. ¬_¬

Ooh, that one sounds cool.

Was it Logia or Paramecium?

Because the idea of a Logia fruit turning you into glass brings up all kinds of questions.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: