Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 07:06:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

ZR Rant time: One Piece fan characters

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZR Rant time: One Piece fan characters  (Read 911 times)
Davidk92
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: ...

« Reply #30 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:45:55 pm »

That is pretty badass.

And I imagine he would also have some kind of...prism ability or something that would let him reflect light or other beam-like attacks?

He would be awesome against Kizaru. All of Kizaru's attacks would pass through him! Or bounce off of him.

Ah, yes. I forgot about that. Yes, he/she would.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #31 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:46:22 pm »

My favorite "out there" element is Space, since it's so versatile when used right.
It's just the same as Time, if you think about it the right way. By which I mean Gary-Stu level.
*Doesn't understand the term "Gary-Stu"*

But Space can also be a double meaning, like the space in between objects or outer space.
Um, nope. Space only has one meaning. It's a reference point for objects.
That is pretty badass.

And I imagine he would also have some kind of...prism ability or something that would let him reflect light or other beam-like attacks?

He would be awesome against Kizaru. All of Kizaru's attacks would pass through him! Or bounce off of him.
I want to see Kizaru vs. Blackbeard.
Report Spam   Logged

zeldafan42
If you want to get back in touch, find me on tumblr
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: ZeldaFan
Mood: Curious

A nostalgic wind blows....

« Reply #32 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:47:55 pm »

My favorite "out there" element is Space, since it's so versatile when used right.
It's just the same as Time, if you think about it the right way. By which I mean Gary-Stu level.

But Space can also be a double meaning, like the space in between objects or outer space.

Gary-Stu is the male equivalent of a Mary-Sue.

Mary-Sue and Gary-Stu are fanfiction/fanwork terms for really...horrible characters.

These characters are usually super powerful, are related or have a romantic relationship with one of the canon main characters, are usually super good looking or super badass looking, and often are some kind of author insertion character.

Basically, 99% of all fancharacters.

Wrong. You're not thinking in anime/video game terms.

Space can refer to a number of things in anime/video game world.
Report Spam   Logged
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #33 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:48:27 pm »

I like the name "Space" and how it's awesome still though.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #34 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:49:09 pm »

Mary-Sue and Gary-Stu are fanfiction/fanwork terms for really...horrible characters.

These characters are usually super powerful, are related or have a romantic relationship with one of the canon main characters, are usually super good looking or super badass looking, and often are some kind of author insertion character.

Wrong. You're not thinking in anime/video game terms.

Space can refer to a number of things in anime/video game world.
Such as..........?
Report Spam   Logged

Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #35 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:49:47 pm »

Ah, thanks. But I usually tend to make personalities and stories for characters that aren't cliche' or I at least try to...even though my first Sonic fancharacter was related with one of the canon characters...
Report Spam   Logged

zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #36 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:53:46 pm »

Any kind of dimensional manipulation can be referred to as "Space"

To take an example from American sources, Hiro from Heroes can manipulate the "space-time continuum". The space half of that gives him teleportation abilities.

Also, "Space" can easily be used to describe different gravity based powers, such as black holes.

Ah, thanks. But I usually tend to make personalities and stories for characters that aren't cliche' or I at least try to...even though my first Sonic fancharacter was related with one of the canon characters...

A lot of my fan characters are either subtle references to various other things I like, while at the same time being original personalities.

For example, the navigator of my One Piece fan-crew is named Diego Von Edgewright.
<_< Guess where his name comes from.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #37 on: 07 September, 2008, 02:59:20 pm »

I try to write stories that are very "out there". I like to avoid mainstream cliches, so I create plots that are unconventional, and I create the characters to fit those plots.
For example, in Catastrophix's base story, he is the mentor/father figure to three orphans. This is somewhat of a cliche. What isn't, however, is the fact that the orphans were collected from three different points in 5th-dimensional space. (Alternate universes, to you folks). It's a way of taking things that may be cliched and adding a twist to them.

To take an example from American sources, Hiro from Heroes can manipulate the "space-time continuum". The space half of that gives him teleportation abilities.

Also, "Space" can easily be used to describe different gravity based powers, such as black holes.

A lot of my fan characters are either subtle references to various other things I like, while at the same time being original personalities.

For example, the navigator of my One Piece fan-crew is named Diego Von Edgewright.
Ah, but Hiro's powers actually make a little sense. Space and dimensions are the same thing. They are reference points. Space is the basic reference point, and dimensions are the directions of reference. Stop me if I'm going too fast for you. And referring to gravity powers as "Space" is utterly wrong and stupid.

Also, Edgey!
Report Spam   Logged

zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #38 on: 07 September, 2008, 03:07:02 pm »

I try to write stories that are very "out there". I like to avoid mainstream cliches, so I create plots that are unconventional, and I create the characters to fit those plots.
For example, in Catastrophix's base story, he is the mentor/father figure to three orphans. This is somewhat of a cliche. What isn't, however, is the fact that the orphans were collected from three different points in 5th-dimensional space. (Alternate universes, to you folks). It's a way of taking things that may be cliched and adding a twist to them.

Ah, but Hiro's powers actually make a little sense. Space and dimensions are the same thing. They are reference points. Space is the basic reference point, and dimensions are the directions of reference. Stop me if I'm going too fast for you. And referring to gravity powers as "Space" is utterly wrong and stupid.

Also, Edgey!

To a science nerd, maybe. But to an otaku, it makes sense.

Lol, yeah. Each part of his name is based on a Phoenix Wright character.

Diego (Armando, a.k.a. Godot) Von (For the Von Karmas) Edge(worth)Wright.

And if you want to talk about stories with twists on normal cliches...

In my main original story, I have a Japanese character who is kind of stupid, as a counter-stereotype to the "Asians are smart" stereotype...and at the same time, the same character is a musical genius who can pick up any instrument and play it, as well as hear a song once and play it.
Report Spam   Logged
Davidk92
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #39 on: 07 September, 2008, 03:12:30 pm »

Can I ask your opinion on other Devil Fruits' I've made, or should I take that to your question topic?
Report Spam   Logged

zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: 07 September, 2008, 03:17:44 pm »

Hmm...go ahead and ask in my question topic, seeing as how it's kind of gotten away from that topic here.
Report Spam   Logged
Davidk92
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #41 on: 07 September, 2008, 03:18:11 pm »

Righto.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #42 on: 07 September, 2008, 03:24:08 pm »

Also, Edgey!

In my main original story, I have a Japanese character who is kind of stupid, as a counter-stereotype to the "Asians are smart" stereotype...and at the same time, the same character is a musical genius who can pick up any instrument and play it, as well as hear a song once and play it.
As both an otaku and a science nerd I can say it offends me. And your character is actually another cliche, the "idiot savant", in this case, a musical one.
Report Spam   Logged

zeldafan42
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #43 on: 07 September, 2008, 03:30:44 pm »

Also, Edgey!

As both an otaku and a science nerd I can say it offends me. And your character is actually another cliche, the "idiot savant", in this case, a musical one.

....I would like to point out that the musical talent is actually a minor part of his character, and he has much more important character traits.

For example, the stupidity isn't so much he's an idiot, he just doesn't take anything seriously and doesn't pay attention in class. If he applied himself, he would be smart...but he doesn't apply himself.

In all honesty, I like to play with cliches. Some of them, I play straight, some of them I use with a twist, and others I do the opposite, a "counter-stereotype."

It all depends on my mood.

For example, I play with the cliche of, in a group of people with elemental powers, the leader is the guy with the power of fire. Instead of it being the character with fire powers, the leader of my team has the element of lightning.
Also, the leader is a girl, which plays around with several cliches as well.

Some are just more fun if you just play them straight. Like my one character who has the element of darkness being a reformed villain.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #44 on: 07 September, 2008, 04:00:49 pm »

Also, Edgey!

....I would like to point out that the musical talent is actually a minor part of his character, and he has much more important character traits.

For example, the stupidity isn't so much he's an idiot, he just doesn't take anything seriously and doesn't pay attention in class. If he applied himself, he would be smart...but he doesn't apply himself.

In all honesty, I like to play with cliches. Some of them, I play straight, some of them I use with a twist, and others I do the opposite, a "counter-stereotype."

It all depends on my mood.

For example, I play with the cliche of, in a group of people with elemental powers, the leader is the guy with the power of fire. Instead of it being the character with fire powers, the leader of my team has the element of lightning.
Also, the leader is a girl, which plays around with several cliches as well.

Some are just more fun if you just play them straight. Like my one character who has the element of darkness being a reformed villain.
Well, that makes your character not the "idiot savant", but the "lazy genius". And yes, cliches are fun to play with.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: