Ultimate Paradise
27 November, 2020, 08:23:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 19381 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1500 on: 02 January, 2020, 06:09:31 pm »

lol end me

So I'm done with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. It is certainly not the best game I played in 2019, but it surpassed my expectations.

Iíll first comment on the story. I believed it started off quite slow in the first half of the game, but it picks up pretty quickly. The Second Sisterís backstory was compelling enough to keep me interested, as was Calís (thankfully). This game overall tackles the theme of failure more elegantly than the recent sequel trilogy. The characters felt more nuanced than those in the movies, and I was actually immersed in their arcs. It isnít without its flaws, but I think this is one of the better Star Wars stories Iíve encountered. The characterís performances deserve praise, and I really enjoyed hearing some funny dialogue among Stormtroopers before they were alerted to my presence. Of note, one character is vastly underutilized, and I hope their role is expanded upon in the future should they make a sequel.

The gameplay is fun, albeit flawed. I really donít want to compare this game to Sekiro, because I feel that although the Souls influences are strong, it is somewhat independent enough to stand as its own game. However, I couldnít help but recount my experiences with Sekiro as I played this game. The game also draws inspiration from Uncharted. This is especially made clear in the climbing mechanics, rope swinging, and even just plain moving. The movement itself isnít a problem in and of itself. It works for something like Uncharted, but it falls apart in a game like this where parry timing is essential. Cal is just so unbearably slow at everything, and the game felt so sluggish. It takes Cal a hot second to guard and parry, to the point that it felt like I had to react to certain enemy maneuvers before they even telegraph their attacks. I eventually got used to it, but playing Sekiro before made it difficult to adjust. And it still never felt as clean or satisfying despite getting used to the slower mechanics.

The last area throws out a ton of enemies at you at once, which I just think is lazy game design. I played on the second hardest difficulty, and although I was able to get it on my second try, it was stressful in the worst possible way.

The game is also buggy, and the presentation itself is subpar. Calís awkward movement, Cereís bug eyes, and the myriad of glitches withdrew me from some immersion. I didnít really look into whatever engine was used, but I donít think the game is well optimized.

The boss fights were overall fine, but I was still left wanting more. Malicos and the Inquisitors had great fights, but the rest were largely forgettable.

Nonetheless, the exploration and progression elements were well done. Itís linear, but I enjoyed unlocking shortcuts, and the game does a good job of placing its bonfires meditation circles in the right areas. It replicated the urgency I felt in keeping my character in Dark Souls alive until I could find a bonfire, even though I never actually lost my souls experience points in this game.

Overall, a pretty good game. Itís interesting how our expectations shape what we think of media. If I was hyped for this game, I would have been left disappointed. But I expected mediocrity and got something that was actually quite good, which left a positive impression on me overall.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: