Ultimate Paradise
19 March, 2024, 04:24:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 ... 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 43070 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1230 on: 12 July, 2016, 02:29:48 am »

The pacing of this game feels a little off. Every time things get interesting, you have to end up slogging through so much nonsense. I  didn't feel like I made much progress today, even though I played about as much as I did yesterday. I met up with Fargo and now he wants me to **** with him. The game also doesn't really do a great job at guiding the player. I don't want my hand held or anything, but I don't want to have to talk to every NPC on the map to direct me. I'll continue some more tomorrow I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1231 on: 12 July, 2016, 02:35:01 am »

Also, I found Razzly in the Hermit's Hideout in the Home world, and I'm not sure why. She was in my original party before I switched bodies with Lynx, so she should still be in the other world. And even if she did come back, she doesn't show any reaction to Lynx upon approaching her. Maybe I'm missing something here, because that doesn't seem to make any sense. I don't think she's going to be important, like most of these characters, but still.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1232 on: 12 July, 2016, 07:19:58 am »

I met up with Fargo and now he wants me to **** with him.

i somehow don't remember this part
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1233 on: 12 July, 2016, 02:45:56 pm »

Lol wow, they even censor the word gamble. GG smf
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1234 on: 12 July, 2016, 02:56:13 pm »

And yet they don't censor "gambling."
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1235 on: 12 July, 2016, 05:16:41 pm »

they don't respect the integrity of our posts
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1236 on: 13 July, 2016, 03:46:23 am »

Okay, so today I:

• Did some boring stuff on Fargo's ship. This wasn't really interesting at all. I actually hate every moment I spend on that damn ship.
  • Fought Garai, who was slightly challenging but nothing unmanageable.
  • Made it to the Sea of Eden. This is where the game started to pick up again, given that I'm starting to finally see how this game is related to Chrono Trigger. Miguel was probably the most difficult fight in the game, and I guess the most emotional. But it feels like his encounter was just a missed opportunity. He's supposed to be Leena's father, but there isn't an opportunity to have her in your party so she can meet him. It also ties into why I think this game could have seriously benefited from having a tight-knit group like Chrono Trigger. It's not that I mind having all these characters (I literally got ten today from just advancing the plot), but it just isn't that impactful. At least the ones I received today are somewhat relevant to the plot, sans a few.
  • I made it back to the other world and did a few things with Viper Manor and all those associated characters. I got Marcy, Zoah, Karsh, General Viper, Riddel, and Fargo on my team. Might be forgetting a few other characters.
  • Now I'm fighting the dragons. I defeated the Water and Earth dragons, but the Fire Dragon is giving me quite a bit of trouble. Guess I'll save him for later.

Like I said, the pacing is just off. When this game is good, it's really fascinating. I think it has more potential than Chrono Trigger. It seems like it wants to tackle more sophisticated themes than its predecessor. Unfortunately those moments of fascination are just too far and few between. I honestly don't think I would mind the periods where the game starts to slow down if the game focused on fewer characters. These people are interesting upon meeting them, but their development literally goes nowhere. At least Kid was relevant to the story, but she isn't even in half the game.

That said, I'm still enjoying Chrono Cross regardless of my quibbles. I actually really, really dig the battle system, and it's more than enough to keep me going. 
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1237 on: 13 July, 2016, 10:03:14 am »

karsh is a cool dude
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1238 on: 13 July, 2016, 10:32:34 am »

they capped out on the "interesting" minor characters at greco and then just dropped off from there tbqf

EDIT: oh yeah, also that LP I mentioned was worth the price of admission solely because it reimagined zoah as serge's dorky, socially-awkward, goodie-two-shoes sidekick and it was pretty great.
« Last Edit: 13 July, 2016, 10:38:46 am by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1239 on: 14 July, 2016, 04:13:38 am »

Okay, I'm done with Chrono Cross. Overall, my feelings are mixed. I'll just get the bad out of the way.

• I think I've made it clear that the pacing is my biggest issue with this game. Why did I have to do all that stuff with Marbule? And S.S. Invincible? Hydra Marshes? It was obviously progress, but it didn't feel like I was doing anything at all for like 30 hours of the game.
  • Huge cast of characters. I have to admit that this didn't end up bothering me as much. I think if you just consider Serge, Kid, Fargo, Riddel, Karsh, Radius, and maybe Steena and Viper, then it isn't so bad. Still, I would've expected Leena to be a party member. As I mentioned earlier, I think the pacing could have been more bearable if I had a strong crew. The ones I listed were good (especially the sidequest with Dario; that ended up being a lot more interesting than I expected), but if the game cut out almost everyone else and focused on the aforementioned, then maybe I would've actually felt like I was on a real adventure. It didn't really start to feel like that until the latter third of the game.
  • I literally have no fucking idea what was going on. Everything is revealed towards the end (which again is just bad pacing), and nothing made any sense. I felt like I was playing Kingdom Hearts all over again. I only have a very nebulous idea of what just happened.
  • Guidance. There are a lot of things I don't think I would've known to do if I didn't look it up or spend a ton of time talking to a bunch of NPCs.
  • No Magus. Why.

I'm coming off as too harsh on this game. It does have a lot of problems, but the game does have its moments of glory. The atmosphere and music, for example, are top notch. Everything felt so somber, even poignant. The game was just so evocative towards the end. I lalso ove that Cross is a distant sequel to Trigger. It questions everything the main characters did in that game, which isn't something you usually see. The concepts and possibilities are endless, and like I said, I do think this game had more potential than Chrono Trigger. There's an excellent game hiding somewhere in Chrono Cross, but I don't think they were able to crack it. I'm glad I played it though. I think it'll be a memorable experience, and I'll probably spend all of tomorrow reading the Wiki to understand what the hell just happened.

Btw Radical Dreamers is an amazing song; sometimes I feel like this game's flaws are redeemed by its soundtrack, which admittedly is half the reason I played it in the first place.
« Last Edit: 14 July, 2016, 04:16:03 am by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1240 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:04:30 am »

I literally have no fucking idea what was going on

lol

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=cross

this is super long but i feel like its a good read especially since it goes into a lot of those "wow this could have been great" moments the game has
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1241 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:25:27 am »

Looks interesting. I think I'll read it on the train to the city today, actually.

Also my sleep schedule is sufficiently fucked. I guess this is what happens when you have three months of no obligations or responsibilities. Or self-respect. I don't want this to end.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1242 on: 25 September, 2016, 02:05:55 am »

i really miss playing dark souls
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1243 on: 26 October, 2016, 04:13:14 am »

Alright, so I was supposed to sleep early tonight but I ended up playing the Dark Souls 3 DLC.

I'm actually almost done with it. I know the Old Hunters was two DLCs put into one, and I'm wondering why they didn't just do that here. This DLC is really short, and I'm already fighting Sister Friede. She's a neat boss fight, except I'm a little irritated that From spoiled her fight in the two trailers, along with the Gravetender. That might be my fault for watching them, but it's still unlike From to do something like that.

Also, the attack where she turns invisible is such bs. Otherwise it's a great fight. Three phases, too.

As of now, I like the DLC, but it just feels underwhelming. That might also be because I played every other DLC in large chunks. I don't think I even touched the DS2 DLC until Scholar of the First Sin came out, so I had a lot of new content to play through.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1244 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:16:08 pm »

From what I've read, I feel good about waiting until they release the next part.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 ... 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: