Ultimate Paradise
19 March, 2024, 02:37:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 ... 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 43042 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1410 on: 31 March, 2019, 11:48:37 am »

So before I fully delve into Sekiro, I'm trying to force myself to finish KH3, or else it'll remain as this lingering and nagging sensation until I beat it.

Tbh, I'm not really the biggest fan of this game so far. The only thing driving me forward is the nostalgia I feel for the series, but I really just don't care about anything happening in this game so far. The Disney worlds are even more filler-y than they've ever been, which speaks volumes. Sora is a total dumbass for no reason. And they've dialed up the cheesiness by like 50,000 notches to the point where I honestly wonder if I'm playing KH3 or watching an episode of Full House.

Sora: *Says something stupid*
Donald: *Makes fun of Sora for being stupid*
Sora: Donald!!!!
Everyone: *Laughs*
repeat ad nauseam

It's just pure cringe. I know the old games were cheesy, but this is just excessive and over-the-top.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1411 on: 02 April, 2019, 01:48:43 am »

Spoiler stuff for KH3:

Alright so I just have the final boss left, and I don't think my thoughts are gonna change after so I'll just post this now. Honestly, it feels pretty weird ranting about a game as juvenile as KH3, but I’m gonna do it anyways, because fuck it. I'd recommend giving it a read if you enjoy shitting on Kingdom Hearts.

- Sora’s portrayal in this game is abysmal. I mean obviously he was never the most compelling character, but I don’t understand where Nomura got the idea to turn him into an absolute dumbass. He was always naïve, but he was always at least a very capable and skilled dude. His stupidity becomes the butt of literally every single joke in this game, and it was never funny. His banter with Donald regarding his stupidity just became cringey after the second joke.

- The pacing is awful. The Disney worlds are shockingly even more filler-y than they’ve ever been. It’s 20-25 hours of Disney worlds, and then 5 hours of story. KH1 suffered from this issue too, but at least there’s some semblance of plot progression. Sora is actually trying to find his friends in these worlds in that game, and he actually makes progress when he finds Kairi on Captain Hook’s pirate ship. In this game, we’re led to believe that he explores these Disney worlds to “find the Power of Waking.” And even as you go through these worlds, Sora himself just tells everyone he should go to the Realm of Darkness instead of wasting time with these Disney worlds. But everyone says that he can’t until he gets the Power of Waking. Well, he never fucking finds that Power 18 hours of Disney worlds later, and eventually Donald suggests they go to the Realm of Darkness anyways, after which fucking Ven, the very person Sora is trying to wake up, tells Sora that he just has to believe in order to have the Power. Then Sora just gets it? Like okay? Thanks for wasting 20 hours of my life Nomura?Huh?

- The number of asspulls at the end of the game make Bleach look like a well-planned out series. I mean, so now Xion is back? And she’s evil, but not anymore? And everyone remembers her? And now Roxas is back? And Terra? What the fuck? If it was this easy to bring these motherfuckers back, then why bother having them disappear in the first place? Also Vexen wants to randomly “atone?” Oh okay, I guess Xehanort is good now too. K.

- “My friends are my power!” and the smiling scenes in KH1 were bad, but I could tolerate them. I thought it couldn’t get worse. I was wrong. They topped that line like 50 times in this game. The dialogue has gone from mildly tolerable to totally unbearable. It’s like I was listening to the dialogue from a horrible 90s sitcom. Someone needs to literally ban Nomura from writing.

- Kairi spends a “year” training and continues to be damsel in distress. Nomura literally does not know how to write this character. I have given up on her.

- Rehashed plotlines from KH2. Do we really need a “Real” Organization XIII?

- Nobody dies in this fucking series.

- Donald’s hard-on for “the order” is wack. These guys have literally interfered in dozens of worlds and he’s still being a bitchass about this? STFU you fucking dumb duck. It’s like they didn’t know what to write, so they filled in some lines about the “Order” to take up some script space.

- I literally do not understand the Gummi missions in this game, nor do I want to.

- I think I fought like 3 Disney villains, one of which that isn’t even a real Disney character. I loved the Disney fights in KH2, especially when “The Encounter” played. It was filler, but it was fun filler and I still felt like I was doing something worth a damn.

- No FF characters? It’s not that I’m that into FF, but these guys actually had story relevance in KH1 and 2. I’m baffled at their exclusion. Why remove them, but then keep motherfucking Maleficent and Pete? The two characters who have had practically zero plot relevance since 2001 and continue to waste our time with cutscenes talking about a black box that we all know they will never obtain?

- Twilight Town is a poor excuse of a hub world. I could forgive Radiant Garden’s exclusion if they made up for it with a good replacement, but they honestly just botched this one. I never returned to Twilight Town even once after the first visit, and it felt like such a tiny world when I visited the first time anyways.

- Gameplay is definitely pretty floaty. I mean, it wasn’t horrible aside from Sora targeting enemies I explicitly do not want him targeting. The whole game is kind of a joke too. I think I might have died like 6 or 7 times on Proud mode, 4 of which were from one of the ship boss battles in Pirates. Like I’m not usually good at games on my first playthrough, but this wasn’t exactly hard.

- Music was pretty good though. Yoko Shimomura’s work is like a diamond shining brightly within this turd of a game.

Honestly, I’m glad I can finally say I played KH3, because I really have been waiting for it since I was like 12. However, that being said, I won’t be playing KH4 or whatever fucking handheld spinoff Nomura decides to make. I just don’t have the time or energy to invest in this kind of shit anymore. This game sucked.
« Last Edit: 16 June, 2019, 07:55:49 pm by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #1412 on: 02 April, 2019, 12:03:08 pm »

I never liked KH, so it was a fun read.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1413 on: 02 April, 2019, 01:36:17 pm »

- Rehashed plotlines from KH2. Do we really need a “Real” Organization XIII?

I barely know the details of KH plotwise but god this is so funny to me for some reason.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #1414 on: 04 April, 2019, 09:07:53 am »

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I rolled my eyes all the way to the back of my head and back to their default position numerous times during the entirety of the Keyblade Graveyard section. The whole thing was so ludicrous and you can tell Nomura just wanted it to be over. That writer fatigue kicked in big time.

I wish I was good at making GIFs because Terranort flinging characters around with the dark chains like he’s orchestrating a Fantasia orchestra with that toddler grin on his face was goddamn hilarious.

And don’t forget:
“THAT SOUNDS LIKE OLAF.”
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1415 on: 04 April, 2019, 11:03:56 am »

And don’t forget:
“THAT SOUNDS LIKE OLAF.”
oh god screw this part. The Frozen world was also such a strange one. You barely interacted with any of the characters. I wonder if it was because of some Disney licensing restrictions?
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1416 on: 04 April, 2019, 11:12:24 am »

I'm guessing they were probably more limited on "active" IP like Frozen that has a sequel coming this year whereas they could take greater liberties with Monster's, Inc. and the like.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1417 on: 04 April, 2019, 12:42:11 pm »

Makes sense, though god forbid square interferes with the intricate lore and mythos of frozen
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1418 on: 04 April, 2019, 11:29:46 pm »

Again, spoilers.

Well now I'm officially done. Last boss was shit, but I guess it was kinda nice seeing everyone chilling on Destiny Islands, except Sora. I mean, at this point I think it's funny the game expects us to be sad that he disappeared given how readily everyone else came back within the span of like 30 minutes. Kind of undercuts the impact of Sora's sacrifice when you know Nomura will pull some more shit out of his ass to bring him back.

Anyways, Sekiro is next. Thank god. I will also probably play Devotion. I bought it off Steam before it got pulled from that Xi Jinping joke fiasco, so I hope I can still download it at least?
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1419 on: 04 April, 2019, 11:43:14 pm »

Honestly, the million spinoffs really did help Kingdom Hearts 3 since it made most of the people who had played and modestly enjoyed the first two games detach from the franchise. They filled the gap between 2 and 3 with chaff that made a profit and stalled out the game just long enough for the 95% of people who didn't touch any of them to purchase KH3 solely out of some vestigial appreciation for a game they liked when they were 13 even though almost all of them would skipped on it if they actually played all of the spinoffs. The response to KH3 has been pretty sour, but it got a lot of people to sink money into it, so... *shrug*

It'll be interesting to see how people will receive the next few games. I'd bet if they pushed out Kingdom Hearts 4 immediately that it'd get the Mass Effect: Andromeda treatment and tank the franchise, but they probably won't and it'll probably work out the exact same way when Kingdom Hearts 4 comes out in another decade and change.

also squareenix never gives poor yoko shimamura good games to make soundtracks to anymore. i guess this is better than the third birthday tho
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1420 on: 05 April, 2019, 12:10:09 am »

I wonder if Square will decide to spoil the entirety of KH4 like they did with KH3 in its trailers and then claim that they didn't show anything important.

I dunno, I mean a lot of people just really don't like KH3. I don't think the series could survive another decade-long stream of spinoffs with the lukewarm reception KH3 got. I never liked the spinoff games too much, as much as I tried them. And I got the impression that most people sort of just tolerated them in anticipation of KH3. The build-up for KH3 started from a very strong place with the end of KH2, but KH4 doesn't have that luxury. They'd be better off just making KH4 right off the bat (they honestly would've been better off making KH3 right off the bat too), but I think I read somewhere that Nomura wants to make another spin-off game, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I mean, this is also the man who apparently wanted to scrap all of FF Versus XIII and turn it into a musical after watching Les Mis with Hugh Jackman.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1421 on: 07 April, 2019, 02:22:27 am »

I'm finally playing Sekiro.

I got to the Hirata Estate and beat Juzuo. It was an alright fight, but I kinda felt like I cheesed him. Getting to him was pretty frustrating, with having to kill all the small fry first. He somehow lost track of me after I killed the other enemies, so I managed to sneak a deathblow on him. Then I kind of just whittled away at his last health bar until he died. Didn't really feel particularly satisfying beating him that way. I got to Lady Butterfly too. Her first phase is simple enough, but it takes a while to beat with what I'm doing now. Then of course she has a second phase, because why wouldn't she in a FromSoft game. I did not beat this, but I haven't made much of an effort to do so.

I'm actually not really enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I love the atmosphere and lore, and I like exploring through areas and killing enemies via stealth, but I feel like my enjoyment comes to a screeching halt when I have to fight another miniboss. I just haven't really gotten the hang of the gameplay yet despite my best efforts at resisting the habits I developed when playing the Souls games. Rather than feeling a sense of satisfaction after beating a hard boss or miniboss, I feel relief that I'm done and won't have to do it again.

Maybe I'm a little burned out on games, or maybe I'm not really up for challenges anymore. I think I should take a break and give this game some more more time later down the road. I think under different circumstances, I would like it a lot more.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1422 on: 07 April, 2019, 02:54:21 pm »

Yeah if that's how you're finding it, I'd say give it some space. Come back to it with a different approach.
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1423 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:38:57 pm »

Not making this small text for spoilers because this website is dead.

I’m glad I gave Sekiro a break. I think I was just really burned out from playing three JRPGs so close to each other. KH3 and FF10 in particular just left an awful taste in my mouth for video games, and that set me up very poorly for Sekiro.

Anyways, I’ve been playing more, and I think I can safely say that I’ve got the basic gist of the combat system now. I love it, now that I understand it. I think this is the closest a game with a standard controller can possibly get to replicating clashing swords. The fights have been immensely satisfying when you learn how aggressive you need to be. The game really forces you to be aggressive like Bloodborne, but the aggression feels more strategic and tactical than that game. It requires me to think even more on my feet.

Lady Butterfly took quite a few tries, but I was able to get her in the end. I also managed to killed Gyobou the Demon on my first try. It was one of those fights where you tell yourself that there’s no way you’ll win this one. But then it happened, and it felt so good.

The minibosses are really tough in this game. So far, they’ve all been more fun than Juzou the Drunkard. I believe I fought Blazing Bull, the Lone Shadow Longswordsman, Seven Ashina Spears, maybe two or three random Generals.

I also managed to defeat Genichiro. I don’t know how, but something clicked on my last attempt, and I just somehow knew when to keep up the pressure and when to dodge. Immensely satisfying fight, especially with the Mikiri Counter finisher.

Enjoying the hell out of it. Can’t wait to play some more.
« Last Edit: 06 July, 2019, 02:50:04 pm by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1424 on: 06 July, 2019, 12:56:32 am »

yessssssssss

Completely agreed on the sword clashing.

and Mikiri counters are just godlike, every time
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 ... 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: