Ultimate Paradise
19 March, 2024, 02:03:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 ... 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 43032 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1440 on: 30 July, 2019, 12:52:59 am »

Thanks man. It was quite a journey.

I did a bunch more in the game today. Did some farming to upgrade my prosthetics as much as I could. Also got the last of the Prayer Beads I could possibly get on this run. Gonna have to do the Purification route to get the final two, plus I’ll need one more play through to get all the prosthetic upgrades. I think upgrading my skills is gonna he a huge pain in the ass though. Might save that for NG+4 or something.

I also killed the Demon of Hatred. Super fun fight. He was relatively tough, but I think Isshin made me a lot better at the game. Then I decided to get the Shura ending out of the way, so I kind of just zoomed through the game until I met up with Owl again. It’s actually so much easier the second time around. I feel like the game has so many stages in which you feel like everything “clicks.” I first felt it with Lady Butterfly. Then again with Genichiro. But Isshin was the final checkpoint, and I think his fight helped me improved considerably more.

Emma and Isshin Ashina were excellent fights. Though I feel like a piece of shit for killing them (especially Emma), I’m glad I gave myself the chance to fight them and see what else the game had to offer. I’m gonna go for the next two endings. The trophy requirements feel much more manageable in this game, sort of like Bloodborne. There is some farming, but it isn’t nearly as awful as any of the Dark Souls games, and it doesn’t even touch the impossibly low drop rate of the pure bladestone in Demon’s Souls.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1441 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:21:34 am »

Yeah, it honestly didn't take more than a night to farm up all the materials I needed to get all the prosthetic upgrades once I set my mind to it. Bell Demon + Mibu Balloon of Possession + the right area to farm for stuff. Then a Balloon of Wealth after you've stealth killed everything.

Skill points are a bit more of a drag. Late game I just found some apparitions that I could gank for like 500 XP each, but I think I only filled out two skill trees.

I really should get rolling on a NG+ one of these days.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1442 on: 30 July, 2019, 11:06:22 pm »

Although I’m totally okay with Sekiro not having an online component, I kind of wish you, Floyd, and I could play it together. Maybe we should get on Bloodborne or DS3 sometime in the near future.

In any case, I’m going for the Purification ending now. Gonna try to snag any remaining trophies I can on this route. You need at least two playthroughs to get all the Lapis Lazulites that you need to upgrade all of the prosthetics. The remaining prayer beads were in the alternate Hirata Estate memory as well. Those Lone Shadow minibosses really love ganking.

I fought Owl on top of Ashina Castle and I found myself just getting annoyed. His fight felt very gimmicky with his poison attacks, his smoke ball, and whatever that thing is that stops me from healing. It kind of just prolonged the fight to the point of tedium. However, j fought him again in Hirata Estate and he was so much better. There was none of that nonsense. Just two shinobi going at it with swords. Definitely one of the best fights in the game.

With that, I fought all of the bosses, so that’s nice.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1443 on: 30 July, 2019, 11:55:01 pm »

I think I ranked both Owl fights as 1 and 2 on my list? I'd need to go back and check. I like the one on top of the castle because he's so underhanded and you can't use any of your tricks to really get an edge on him (he doesn't use perilous attacks in that fight, so you don't get free posture damage off of mikiri or dive kicks and the like).

And then I love the fight at the estate for the same reason you said, it's just a bare knuckle brawl with katanas.

Also the music is killer in both fights.

Although I’m totally okay with Sekiro not having an online component, I kind of wish you, Floyd, and I could play it together. Maybe we should get on Bloodborne or DS3 sometime in the near future.
I was thinking this exactly yesterday. Like it wouldn't even be the same game, but I can't help but wish I could play Sekiro with somebody (I have it on PC, though, so that would present difficulties anyway).

I think I could do a Bloodborne or DSIII run at some point if y'all wanted to.
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1444 on: 31 July, 2019, 01:30:52 am »

Yeah dude, the music was awesome. I honestly think Yuka Kitamura is one of the most talented composers today. Like, I loved her music in Bloodborne and DS3, but Sekiro proves that she excels in variety as well. Emma the Gentle Blade and the credits songs are great too.

Also I read your playthrough in  your topic. I wish I played alongside with you, because there are so many things I wanted to comment on. I’m pretty sure I’m nearly 100% in agreement with everything you said. This might be my favorite first playthrough if a FromSoft game, although it beats out BB by a hair. Who knows though, I could still be in the honeymoon phase.

I’m absolutely floored that you beat Isshin on your first try. Are you an animal? Also, you’re basically Shura for sending Jinzaemon to the Abandoned Dungeon lol
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1445 on: 31 July, 2019, 08:16:36 am »

I kinda felt like Neo by the time I got to Isshin. It was wild.

and I know right, I still feel bad about Jinzaemon
I never even finished that story line. I just left those two in the waterway to be zombie bros together.

Still, better Jinzaemon than Kotaro.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1446 on: 01 August, 2019, 12:39:13 am »

Well, it’s done. I platinumed Sekiro.

My last run turned out to be a bit of a speedrun. I sort of just blew through the whole game, fighting boss after boss. This time, I was just going for the Severance ending, so I had to fight everyone again. I think this run actually showed to me how much I’ve improved. I was playing through it expecting to die at places I usually die. I got to the Guardian Ape and survived. I got to Owl and survived. I made it past the Great Carp unscathed.

And before I knew it, I reached Isshin without having died once this playthrough. I didn’t actually plan on doing a no-death run, but it would’ve been cool to say that it happened.

So I’m on Isshin’s second phase. Everything is going well. But then he starts his combo. And as I back away, that god forsaken boulder appears from behind me, having previously been invisible to the camera. I shamefully died, caught between a rock and a hard place.

But it’s okay. I got him the next time. I have his moveset totally down now. I managed to get through the whole game up to Isshin without dying, and I think that is one of my proudest video game achievements. I’m happy today.

But of course, I needed to max out my skill trees. That was probably the worst trophy to get. Farming for skill points was so tedious. But whatever, I did it. This and Bloodborne are the only two games I have ever platinumed, and it feels kind of nice. I suppose I’ve squeezed out every bit of content I possibly could now. I’ll have to think of my boss rankings in a bit.
« Last Edit: 01 August, 2019, 12:54:22 am by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1447 on: 01 August, 2019, 12:55:20 am »

Fuck man I still want to play more of this game.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1448 on: 01 August, 2019, 08:07:59 am »

that boulder is the real final boss
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1449 on: 01 August, 2019, 11:48:06 am »

That boulder has ruined me.

Anyways here is my ranking of the bosses.

15. Folding Screen Monkeys

More of a nuisance than anything. I guess I felt bad killing them the first time, but after that I just wanted to get it over with on subsequent playthroughs.

14. Headless + Guardian Ape

I don’t really like being ganked, although this fight actually took fewer tries than the single ape fight. It was an alright fight, but I consistently avoided it on subsequent playthroughs. Just didn’t feel like doing it again I guess.

13. Gyoubu Masataka Oniwa

I actually have nothing against him. He’s just very easy. There are minibosses that are leagues ahead of him in difficulty. Very cool concept though.

12. Great Shinobi Owl

I don’t actually dislike this fight at all. Thematically and aesthetically, it’s beautiful. The music is cool, and even though Owl is kind of a piece of shit person, there is something to be said about fighting your adoptive father. However, I thought this fight kind of just dragged on. He never really did many attack that I could punish, so I had to slowly chip away at his health until I could reasonably fill his posture bar. Maybe there was a better way, but I didn’t really feel the need to try to find it. Also, there were times where he literally flooded the arena with poisonous shit after doing that attack twice in a row, and that was not my jam.

11. Genichiro Ashina

I fought him so many times over four playthroughs (tutorial, Ashina castle, and right before Isshin), so I’m kind of over this guy. He otherwise wouldn’t be this low, because I remember really liking his first fight atop Ashina Castle when I first did it. Felt like one of my first skill checkpoints In the game.

10. Genichiro, Way of Tomoe

See above. He’s only slightly higher because he’s part of the Isshin gauntlet of health bars.

9. Lady Butterfly

Stylistically, she’s very cool. This was my first skill checkpoint in the game, and she’s the one boss responsible for me finally understanding how to play Sekiro. Prior to her, I wasn’t feeling the game, so I have to give this boss some credit where it’s due. Plus, it was really fun playing her again on NG+2.

8. Demon of Hatred

As said before, this is basically a Soulsborne boss. He’s like Manus or the Flamelurker, and I always liked those bosses. Some say he doesn’t really have a place in a game like Sekiro, but I disagree. I think defeating him required a similar  type of learning as any other boss. I also just feel really bad for the Sculptor.

7. Divine Dragon

This fight was very easy, but I just thought it was stunningly beautiful. It’s such a lore-heavy fight, and it’s where **** starts to go down. The music is incredible too. When I talked about wanting From to try new things with bosses, this is what I meant (not Micolash, Matosis).

6. Corrupted Monk (+Illusion)

I love fighting her. The deflects are so satisfying to nail. I also didn’t realize that Snap Seeds destroyed her illusion form. Firecrackers also makes it easy to cheese, but even without those, I always thought this fight was super dope.

5. Guardian Ape

A total classic. I love fighting this guy so much. He also just always finds a way to surprise you on your first playthrough. First, it’s with his initial fakeout death. Then he shows up with his wife. Granted I didn’t care about the last fight, but the shock of encountering it has stayed with me. Regardless, the original one is always super fun. I suppose if there was a spectrum with Souls bosses on one end and Sekiro on the other, Demon of Hatred would be much closer to the Souls side, while this guy would be a healthy balance of both types of games. He requires to rely on deflects more so than DoH, but I think some of my Souls instincts also paid off here.

4. Emma, the Gentle Blade

She isn’t too difficult in my opinion, but the emotions run high in this fight. Almost gives me Maiden Astraea vibes, except she’s a legitimate challenge. The song that plays is among my favorites in the game as well. I love that her style is akin to Isshin, which makes sense since he trained her. She’s just a better warmup to Isshin Ashina than Genichiro was to Isshin SS.

3. Isshin Ashina

I love this old man. Definitely the best fight on top of Ashina Castle. He’s similar enough to the Sword Saint so that your skills transfer over if you fought SS first, but he has new tricks up his sleeve that you need to learn and master, keeping it completely fresh. If I didn’t fight SS first, I think Isshin Ashina would’ve totally thrashed me around. He also made me feel like a piece of shit for killing Emma, so there’s that.

2. Owl (Father)

In a way, it’s kind of fitting that this was my last fight. I had so much fun with this guy. He constantly keeps you on your toes, and there’s so much action that it never really felt like it dragged as much as the other fight. Learning and mastering his moveset was immensely satisfying. Music was also incredible.

1. Isshin, the Sword Saint

Defeating this guy was when I actually started to master Sekiro. Prior to that point, I was just playing the game, but after I beat him, my subsequent playthroughs were very easy. The second time I fought him in the Purification route, I beat him after maybe 4 or 5 tries. But the final route took me about 2 tries, and at that point I could confidently say that I knew his moveset well enough to deflect most of his attacks, and being able to reach that point is so satisfying. Such an amazing fight, easily among my favorites in a video game. I would at least tie him with Ludwig.
« Last Edit: 02 August, 2019, 12:54:13 am by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1450 on: 02 August, 2019, 12:04:10 am »

good list

also Owl pulls out a stand on you during the Father fight, and that's worth commenting on
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1451 on: 02 August, 2019, 07:27:06 am »

of the ones i fought guardian ape was def my favorite, i do love oniwa though, grappling onto him from like halfway away and ari attacking never wasn't fun
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1452 on: 02 August, 2019, 01:08:22 pm »

Yeah, the grapple attack is always fun to pull off.

Yo also there are so many goddamn games I want to play this year. I’ve already played KH3 (bleh) and Sekiro, but there’s also:

RE2
DMC5
FE: Three Houses
Astral Chain
Bloodstained
Death Stranding
Outer Worlds
AI: The Somnium Files

Plus all the games that came out in 2017 and 2018 that I didn’t play yet. It almost makes me wish that the launch line-up for the next generation is subpar so I can play catch-up. I just don’t have any time for this.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1453 on: 02 August, 2019, 01:40:48 pm »

re2 bloodstained and three houses are all real good
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #1454 on: 04 August, 2019, 12:32:57 am »

I've been enjoying Three Houses, that's how you know it's REAL good.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 ... 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: