Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 05:58:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 ... 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 43279 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1380 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:41:52 pm »

Cool, guess I just won't use him then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also what the fuck is this bevelle temple puzzle
« Last Edit: 16 January, 2019, 10:03:38 pm by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1381 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:32:21 am »

Well that was probably one of the worst puzzles I've ever done. Whose idea was it to set up those ridiculous camera angles? I ended up just looking at a guide for that.

The heroes got caught anyways and were sentenced to death, except the villains of this game are apparently incredibly stupid and just leave the heroes in some dungeon unattended with all their weapons where they can clearly escape from. like ok seymour. Speaking of which, his second fight was as frustrating as his first, but it turned out to be pretty easy after spamming all of my Aeon's OD attacks on him. To be honest, I really hope this guy gets more development soon, because he seems like an incredibly uninspired villain. I just can't point out his motivation for doing anything. Also I hate his hair.

Some spoilers ahead if anyone even bothers to read this.

I ended up getting up to the scene where Tidus hooks up with Yuna. Honestly, Yuna is such a boring character that this didn't leave much of an impression on me. Also, I don't really think their relationship developed into a romantic one very naturally. I mean, Tidus is clearly interested in her throughout the game, but I didn't really see her reciprocating that at all so far, aside from the very beginning when she requests that he be one of her guardians. But now she's suddenly in love with him. This scene mostly just shows how Tidus alone developed as a character, which is kind of a shame. A scene like this would benefit if both characters changed. Yuna's only "change" is that she realized Yevon is full of shit, but that doesn't really change her personality or develop her character so much as it adjusts her goals. Actually, her goals didn't even change, because she's still trying to fight Sin, so nothing even changes except for her realization of what Yevon really is all about.

There are a lot of other instances of things happening too suddenly in the plot, and the characters just sort of accept things as they go along. Rikku joining the party came out of complete left field. I know that she's Yuna's cousin, but the player doesn't really know that at the time, so it's kind of jarring. Like ok, I guess this random girl that only Lulu and Yuna know can become a guardian? Like, she could've just told everyone they were cousins. It's not like Wakka even knew she was an Al-Bhed at that point. Kinoc's death was also poorly handled. Seymour apparently just thinks this guy sucks so he kills him all of a sudden. Maybe have some dialogue somewhere hinting that Seymour resents this man? Overall I just think the story's pacing is very poor. There are too many sudden plot developments, and nothing feels like it flows organically.

Idk, maybe I'm analyzing it too much. I try to give the game's story the benefit of the doubt by reminding myself it came out in 2001, but plenty of games in that generation (and even before that generation) had better writing, even if those games weren't perfect. Despite my complaints, I am enjoying it. It's definitely not a bad game at all. I think the game's worldbuilding and setting are superb. The battle system is also very fun, aside from either of Seymour's fights, whom I imagine I will be fighting again. I even didn't mind the puzzles, except for the aforementioned Bevelle nightmare.

I really wonder what I would've thought of this game if I played it when I played Kingdom Hearts and discovered Naruto for the first time. I probably would have been more forgiving of its shortcomings. I don't know why I didn't play it at that point in my life, and I actually really wish I did. I probably would've gotten much more out of it.
« Last Edit: 17 January, 2019, 01:36:09 am by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1382 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:29:34 pm »

also I bought onimusha lolz
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1383 on: 17 January, 2019, 05:15:37 pm »

the real re4
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1384 on: 19 January, 2019, 10:41:52 am »

looks sh af
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1385 on: 20 January, 2019, 07:50:19 pm »

Alright, done with FF10.

Overall, it was okay. I think I addressed most of the things I liked and disliked in an earlier post. It's not a bad JRPG, but I think it's one of the weaker ones I've played. That said, I get the appeal wouldn't want to undermine anyone's love for this game. It just didn't strike my fancy I guess. I didn't feel much of a connection with any of the characters. I liked Auron and Lulu. I became pretty indifferent towards Tidus close to the end, but he never really annoyed me. I fucking hated Seymour though. I stated earlier that I had hoped he would get more development later, so that we could see his motivation. Well, we get kind of a flashback with him and his mom, and you think the game is going somewhere with it. But it doesn't, and then you kill him. Glad he wasn't the final boss. Worst villain ever.

I noticed that even though I liked the battle system, I really didn't like most of the bosses. The endgame sort of starts throwing them at you too. Every Seymour fight was just annoying, though not too difficult. The Sanctuary Keeper was very tricky. Never had a boss throw reflect on me and then cure its poison or heal itself that way. I mean, that's good AI, but at that point my patience for the game was starting to wear thin. I really liked fighting Yunalesca though. Jecht was awful, but honestly that's mostly because of the unskippable bullshit you have to do before his fight every single time you lose. I'm very surprised that they didn't add the option to skip cutscenes, because the lack of that feature completely soured my opinion of this fight. I managed to make it through by grinding mostly Yuna to get Doublecast, which helped tremendously. Final boss was a joke. Used Zombie Attack and killed it with a single Phoenix Down. Thank god it was easy though. I wouldn't want to die and fight Jecht again.

Also, Yuna became totally OP after I gave her Holy and Ultima. I also taught her all the -aga black magic spells, which rendered Lulu completely obsolete. That, combined with Doublecast and Bahamut's OD really saved me. I was doing 9999 damage on almost every hit.

A lot of people felt this game was too linear. I didn't really mind that so much, but maybe that's because it's my first FF and I have open-world fatigue.

Things I liked:
- Great worldbuilding. Spira is a very interesting place, and I love the overall Southeast Asian-vibe they were going for.
- Even though I don't really care too much about the story, I do kind of like its ambiguity. I can respect it for being thought-provoking and ambitious.
- Sphere grid was a really, really fun way to level characters up. Even by the end I kept thinking of how to work around it, even when it didn't matter at that point.

Nitpicks:
- I'm very surprised that they didn't include the option to skip cutscenes. The absence of this feature made fighting Jecht so unbearable.
- Unskippable summon animations is also annoying. I get that it's a PS2 game, but this is a remaster for the PS3/Vita/4. They should've added it in by now.
- Encounter rate was ridiculously high in some places. I couldn't make more than 5 steps without another battle hitting me in the face.
- Camera was really wonky in some cutscenes? It's like it was being controlled by some drunk pervert who only wanted to focus on Lulu's boobs and Riku's ass.

Glad I played it in the end.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1386 on: 21 January, 2019, 02:09:09 am »

i think my favorite part of ffx is how after you beat seymour in bevelle there's literally no stated reason why yuna couldn't just fucking send him. she just lets him fly off to (un)live another day, genocide most of an entire species and serve as one of the biggest pain in the ass fights in the game in his third incarnation (where she doesn't send him yet again for some reason).

ffx is a pretty mixed package and it would have been more overlooked had it not been the first final fantasy on a sixth gen console and had its release not been fairly well-timed to the ps2's life cycle. i drastically prefer ffx-2 honestly, but ffx has its moments and I do think that its battle system is pretty fun.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1387 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:38:45 pm »

i think my favorite part of ffx is how after you beat seymour in bevelle there's literally no stated reason why yuna couldn't just fucking send him. she just lets him fly off to (un)live another day, genocide most of an entire species and serve as one of the biggest pain in the ass fights in the game in his third incarnation (where she doesn't send him yet again for some reason).
Lolz, yeah. I never understood this either. It would've helped because I hated literally every single one of his fights.

ffx is a pretty mixed package and it would have been more overlooked had it not been the first final fantasy on a sixth gen console and had its release not been fairly well-timed to the ps2's life cycle. i drastically prefer ffx-2 honestly, but ffx has its moments and I do think that its battle system is pretty fun.
I was told FFX is a decent place to get into FF. Would you say it's reflective of how the rest the series is overall?
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1388 on: 23 January, 2019, 07:19:12 am »

not maniac but i'd say honestly the series is weird and varied and x is indicative of a certain time and place in the genre so it depends on what you like out of jrpgs

i'd recommend the snes games as starters personally
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1389 on: 23 January, 2019, 10:32:37 am »

I've only played a handful of Final Fantasy games and none of the ones from the glory days of the franchise (SNES/PS1), so I'm saying that as a universal statement rather than from a perspective familiar with Final Fantasy. FFX was probably the first numbered Final Fantasy game I beat (played a good chunk of the original NES FF1 and beat FFTA before it) and I never really got around to going through the backlog of final fantasy games that came before it and I've just followed the series ever since in terms of general relevancy rather than loyalty to the franchise, so literally from my experience I'm inclined to say it's not a particularly good starting point.

i'd say honestly the series is weird and varied and x is indicative of a certain time and place in the genre so it depends on what you like out of jrpgs

This is a good appraisal. From what I can gather, FF has had a solid focus on a cinematic presentation ever since FF6, and that's more or less the only explicit commonality every FF game has had since then. With FFX in particular, I feel like they led with cinematic presentation due to the expanded horizons the technology of the PS2 provided, and as a result they came up with a good mood and a solid sense of immersion but not really all that cohesive of a plot nor a well-paced game. I'd also say that's a recurring problem with every non-MMO numbered FF game ever since to varying degrees (12 is probably the least plagued, while 13 and 15 are hit harder by that shortcoming than FFX was).
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1390 on: 14 February, 2019, 07:49:19 am »

hey cool, ff9 is out for switch. gonna play it now
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1391 on: 14 February, 2019, 12:22:52 pm »

those cowards wont put viii, the good one, on switch, shameful
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #1392 on: 14 February, 2019, 01:23:32 pm »

Those wimps won't put out their only good PS1 games Einhander and Brave Fencer Musashi on Switch.
Report Spam   Logged

Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #1393 on: 14 February, 2019, 06:30:11 pm »

Oh! Interesting. I hope it is the enhanced one where you can skip random encounters and speed up battles if you want.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1394 on: 15 February, 2019, 08:36:06 am »

Oh! Interesting. I hope it is the enhanced one where you can skip random encounters and speed up battles if you want.
It is, warts and all.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 ... 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: