Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 01:01:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 ... 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 43698 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1425 on: 11 July, 2019, 02:04:44 pm »

Fromsoft out here throwing Guardian Apes at you like it's nobody's business.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1426 on: 12 July, 2019, 03:18:24 pm »

I genuinely feel bad when From makes me kill a monkey in this game. Or any other animal.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1427 on: 13 July, 2019, 05:56:03 pm »

It's one of the more interesting subtexts in there. Juxtaposition of man and beast. And the apes/monkeys occupy a separate space.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1428 on: 14 July, 2019, 11:57:15 pm »

A few comments about Sekiro:

I love this game, I really do. I think it’s overall one of From’s best, and I’m having a blast with it. However, Isshin is just breaking me. I love this fight, but I think FromSoft has become overzealous with the multi-phase boss fight concept. It was incredible when Ornstein & Smough did it. Even better when Ludwig got the Moonlight Greatsword. I even thought the Guardian Ape surprise was pretty exciting. But Isshin is starting to drive me mad.

I have Genichiro and Isshin’s first phase down almost perfectly. But his last two phases honestly just ruin me. And to be honest, I hate fighting Genichiro now. He was a really fun fight before on the tower, but now he's just a pest. I hate fighting him even after mastering his moveset. I just want to get to Isshin, and it just feels a chore. It’s marring what could be an otherwise excellent fight for me.

That being said, I watched a video by Matthewmatosis on Demon’s Souls, and he brought up the point that DeS often explores new and interesting ways to fight a boss, and how the Souls games have kind of lost that variety. I kind of agree with him. The Demon’s Souls bosses have some kind of gimmicks. Granted, some of them are shitty. Like really shitty. But I think FromSoft could do really well if they keep exploring variety, because they could certainly improve on it in later games. I don’t have a problem with multi-phase fights at all, but I don’t think this reliance on them will benefit these games in the future, because it will get stale. Also, it stresses me out now lol.

In any case, I know I can beat Isshin. I’ve gotten so close in his final phase. He’s about as tough as Ludwig, who I felt was the hardest Souls boss I’ve ever fought. I suppose I’ll continue to soldier on through it.

Another thing: I’m really disappointed that I can’t fight Emma or old Isshin. I didn’t think that committing to one ending meant missing out on a few cool bosses.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1429 on: 15 July, 2019, 12:12:22 am »

Hmm.

How well do you handle the lightning attacks? Lightning counter, Mikiri, and punishing his sweeps with divekicks are like the most important things for beating him.

I've kinda soured on Matosis's brand of critique lately, at least as far as Souls goes. His video on Dark Souls II really didn't age well for me. Also he's never satisfied when a developer just does more of what they're good at. He's not wrong about there not being as much variety in boss fights now, though. But I've said before that I think one on one duels are kinda the heart and soul (no pun intended) of these games. It's also an interesting criticism seeing as phases represent variance within the fight itself. It would be boring if a boss never changed tactics on you, especially as they grow more desperate or realize their initial approach isn't working.

Do you think your phase fatigue has anything to do with the multiple health bars in this game? Since multiphase fights in Bloodborne or Dark Souls were still within a boss's health bar (I guess Dark Souls III got away from this with Friede and Gael, though).

Genichiro is kinda meant to be a joke at that point, but I can see how if you're struggling with it you would want to just skip him and get to the main boss.

Another thing: I’m really disappointed that I can’t fight Emma or old Isshin. I didn’t think that committing to one ending meant missing out on a few cool bosses.
Yeah, but on the bright side, a) you're not a terrible person, and b) the Shura ending isn't as long of a run if you want to get to that part.
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1430 on: 15 July, 2019, 12:29:30 am »

I’m totally fine with Mikiri. He doesn’t do the sweeping attacks often for me, so I get taken by surprise when he does them. I’m able to punish those at least half of the time, whereas the other half of the time I think he’s going to do a thrust attack, which prompts me to mistakenly go for a Mikiri counter. As for lightning, well I’m alright. There’s nothing worse than getting the lightning counter, but only to have it miss him because of the terrain. But it’s still a little hard for me to get it down. I’m just not getting much practice with it, because I have like three phases to deal with first. Oh and just throwing this out there, but I hate those boulders just standing in the middle of the field.

I’m overall pretty mixed with his videos. I actually find myself disagreeing with most of his commentaries, but I do think he makes some worthwhile points, and I thought that was an interesting one to bring up. It’s hard to say where the fatigue is coming from exactly. It doesn’t feel like having multiple health bars has contributed to it, largely because it never feels like I have to take out all of their health, only enough to get their posture damage up for me to land a death blow.

I could also just be frustrated with the fight right now. I’ll come back to it tomorrow or the day after with a fresh mind.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1431 on: 15 July, 2019, 06:31:32 pm »

i agree with many things in this topic

I think my friend sent me a Matosis once on like Wind Waker and I remember thinking it was fine enough but I didn't like any of the stuff I watched after. That kind of content isn't really my thing I guess. They make me feel like I don't like games as much as other people or something.

I haven't felt the need to replay Sekiro or try to beat it since stopping. I think fatigue is a lot of that. I'm obviously buying Elden Ring day one but I do hope they take a step back with the 3 health bars per fight in that. I don't mind transformations or phases and all that but its endlessly annoying to have the endurance run through so many health bars.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1432 on: 17 July, 2019, 12:08:55 pm »

It helps going in there and actively disagreeing with everything they say. Matosis said that Souls combat is too simple and that his favorite fight in all of these games is Micolash. I mean, to each their own, but ok.

I've had this itch to return to Isshin. Perhaps I will tomorrow after I finish this dumb paper my school is forcing me to write, but no one will read.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1433 on: 17 July, 2019, 04:17:49 pm »

lmao who the fuck thinks micolash is the best boss in souls what a clown
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1434 on: 20 July, 2019, 12:02:19 am »

So in other news, I managed to download Devotion. I bought it when it released on Steam a while ago, but I haven’t been able to play it for lack of a PC, so I never downloaded it. I got a bit worried after the whole Xi Jingping joke fiasco, but I guess I’m still able to download it if I have it in my library. I’m glad I made this particular impulse buy, if at least for feeling like I’m about to be part of some exclusive club.

That being said, I am actually greatly concerned for Red Candle Games. They’ve gone dark since the controversy started, and I can only hope for their well-being.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1435 on: 20 July, 2019, 12:06:44 am »

Oh just kidding, they made a statement recently.

Genuinely disheartened to see what they’ve been forced to do. It just isn’t fair.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1436 on: 20 July, 2019, 12:14:57 am »

Just kidding x2. Game crashes when I try to run it. I am very upset by this. It's honestly so awful for a talented studio to be silenced like this.

It just wouldn't be the same to watch a Let's Play of this either. I really feel like I'm missing out on a good story now. Ugh.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1437 on: 20 July, 2019, 01:29:36 am »

Yeah that whole situation is just horrendous. Sucks the game doesn't work either. I heard good things about it.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1438 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:11:40 pm »

I beat Sekiro. God what an amazing game.

I hadn’t fought Isshin since like two weeks ago, since I left my controller at home. I fought him just now and managed to get him on my second try. I think having the break actually cleared up my mind. It’s hard to play when you get so frustrated. Somehow I managed to get all of his lightning counters except for one. I dunno, something about it just clicked.

He’s an amazing fight though. Possibly one of my favorite bosses in a game period. In any case, I got the Return ending, for what it’s worth.

There are still a lot of things left to do though. I intended to fight the Demon of Hatred, but I encountered Isshin first and became so invested in fighting him. Now I have to take care of this guy.

I might also try to take on Emma and old Isshin just for the sake of fighting all the bosses. That mindset makes me feel like I’m about to do the Genocide run in Undertale. It doesn’t feel great.

All in all, this is one of my favorite From games. It’s funny how things turn out that way.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1439 on: 28 July, 2019, 11:40:43 pm »

I'm glad to hear you came around on it, and well done on the Sword Saint.

When the game came out I was like the only one of the people I knew who were playing it that actually beat it, and everyone was having those reactions like "man I just don't think I get this game" that just left me all "but yooooooooo."

So yeah, it's good to hear that time and space worked their magic.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 ... 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: