Ultimate Paradise
18 November, 2019, 05:33:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Final Fantasy XIV)

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Final Fantasy XIV)  (Read 8108 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1485 on: 07 November, 2019, 10:11:19 pm »

Yay gimme your name and Iíll add you.

Also Heavensward spoilers in case anyone actually cares.

Iím going to preface this by saying that I really like the Ishgardian storyline. Itís so much more interesting than anything that happened in ARR, save for the ending of 2.55. I think Iím about halfway through with it, and I genuinely like all of the characters. They feel more nuanced and substantial, with their own conflicting beliefs. The writing does a good job of making you understand both Ysayleís and Estinienís perspectives.

That said, I am very disappointed with how they handled the story in Ulídah. 2.55 ended on such a high, and I was really looking forward to how they would progress that story, especially because we spent such an arduously long time in 2.1 - 2.55 setting it up. But it ultimately culminated in...nothing at all. Nanamo was alive the entire time. Raubahn was reinstated. The Scions had their names cleared, and itís not like the MC, Alphinaud, and co had to actually do anything. The plot just sort of solves itself. It was just a complicated series of affairs designed to kill off Teledji, who wasnít even given significant development. I wouldíve forgiven such lack of development if they actually went somewhere with this story. Also I cannot stand the trope of killing off a character only to reveal they were alive the entire time. I have rarely seen it used well, and this is no exception.

My disappointment is immeasurable, but maybe thatís my own fault for letting myself buy into the hype. I truly hope the Ishgardian plotline doesnít devolve into this kind of nonsense, because I do think it to be captivating thus far.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1486 on: 07 November, 2019, 10:36:41 pm »

Yay gimme your name and Iíll add you.

Also Heavensward spoilers in case anyone actually cares.

Iím going to preface this by saying that I really like the Ishgardian storyline. Itís so much more interesting than anything that happened in ARR, save for the ending of 2.55. I think Iím about halfway through with it, and I genuinely like all of the characters. They feel more nuanced and substantial, with their own conflicting beliefs. The writing does a good job of making you understand both Ysayleís and Estinienís perspectives.

That said, I am very disappointed with how they handled the story in Ulídah. 2.55 ended on such a high, and I was really looking forward to how they would progress that story, especially because we spent such an arduously long time in 2.1 - 2.55 setting it up. But it ultimately culminated in...nothing at all. Nanamo was alive the entire time. Raubahn was reinstated. The Scions had their names cleared, and itís not like the MC, Alphinaud, and co had to actually do anything. The plot just sort of solves itself. It was just a complicated series of affairs designed to kill off Teledji, who wasnít even given significant development. I wouldíve forgiven such lack of development if they actually went somewhere with this story. Also I cannot stand the trope of killing off a character only to reveal they were alive the entire time. I have rarely seen it used well, and this is no exception.

Itís very unfortunate, but maybe thatís my own fault for letting myself buy into the hype. I truly hope the Ishgardian plotline doesnít devolve into this kind of nonsense, because I do think it to be captivating thus far. At least that seems to be the main focus of this expansion.

Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Flame Spirit

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1487 on: 07 November, 2019, 11:43:15 pm »

i need to know what data center you're on first so I can figure out what character is available to help. got at least one on all three.

fully agree with that, by the way. i guess they didn't really want to risk hampering the story HW is trying to tell by having them run simultaneously, nor could they fit it into their patch content road map or justify a full expansion based on it, so the writers just resolved the ul'dah situation in the easiest way possible so they could get it out of the way. it's not really a shortcoming of HW per se, but it does retroactively poison a section of the game that is already kind of an ordeal to get through.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1488 on: 08 November, 2019, 12:48:12 am »

i need to know what data center you're on first so I can figure out what character is available to help. got at least one on all three.

fully agree with that, by the way. i guess they didn't really want to risk hampering the story HW is trying to tell by having them run simultaneously, nor could they fit it into their patch content road map or justify a full expansion based on it, so the writers just resolved the ul'dah situation in the easiest way possible so they could get it out of the way. it's not really a shortcoming of HW per se, but it does retroactively poison a section of the game that is already kind of an ordeal to get through.
Itís a shame, but I suppose I have other things to look forward to.

In any case, Iím under Aether - Adamantoise. Name is Musa Zaelear.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Flame Spirit

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1489 on: 08 November, 2019, 06:02:16 pm »

alright, my aether character is Lucien L'avide@Faerie. he isn't my main character anymore so I don't use him that often, but go ahead and poke me if you need a body to carry you through some of the old extremes/raids or something.

think both of us have to be online to add someone as a friend. i dunno if you can even log in tonight, but I'll be on him plugging away at shadowbringers so I can renew his mentorship and continue to pollute faerie's novice network because I haven't finished that on him yet in case you do
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: