Ultimate Paradise
19 March, 2024, 02:43:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 43044 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1500 on: 05 December, 2019, 01:27:16 pm »

Well at least it suits the equally comedically evil Empire theme.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1501 on: 06 December, 2019, 12:57:31 am »

Taking a break from FF14 to avoid burnout. I bought Star Wars on a whim the other day, and I’ve made some significant progress with it. Overall, it’s not bad. It plays like a much clumsier version of Sekiro with its parry mechanic and level design. The Souls influences are obvious, but it also takes inspiration from Uncharted with general character movement and platforming.

I have to emphasize the word clumsy though. It’s definitely not the smoothest game. I feel like I’ve fallen off cliffs far too many times than I can count, and that’s just because the game’s mechanics aren’t tight. Jumping while climbing is awful, and sometimes Cal just does some strange things during these platforming segments.  Unfortunately the game’s controls just aren’t as tight as they need to be. It takes too many cues from Uncharted in basic movement, which I don’t think works well for a game like this.

The level design is good, but it’s slightly marred with an awful 3D map. I rarely use it, but in moments when I need to, it’s more of a hindrance than it is a helpful tool. That said, it is satisfying to unlock shortcuts.

I’m also worried that this game lacks variety. I’m not sure how far I am into it, but I would venture a guess and say I’m at around the halfway mark. I think there’s just one more planet to actually explore, and that doesn’t really bode well for me. Of the three planets that I’ve been to, I don’t think I could tell you the difference between two of them. Everything just looks the same, and that’s a bit disappointing. The enemy variety has been fine though. I mean, most of them are Stormtroopers, but it’s not so bad.

The boss encounters have been subpar as well. Like, they’re okay, but they always end up being relegated to normal enemies afterwards. I know Souls does this too, but it literally happens right after I fight them in this game. Like, I’ll fight the Security Drone “boss,” but then the game throws another one at me and gives it a normal enemy health bar, but with the same amount of health. Also, I’d like to fight less drone robots and more Sith Lords and inquisitors. I get so excited when I encounter the Second Sister, but the game frequently interrupts that fight for story reasons. It’s the one boss that actually feels “epic” to me, for lack of a better word, and I really want to finish it up.

The story has been pretty decent so far. I encountered a major plot development that took me by slight surprise, though in retrospect, I’m not shocked given the nature of this franchise’s story. Cal is a very boring character though, and his character model looks really derpy to me. It’s not the actor that’s based off of him, but the actual character model. Sometimes he looks cross-eyed, or he’ll just be staring at the distance. Nothing serious, but it is kind of amusing. The Second Sister seems like a great character, and I hope they can maintain her arc at a good pace.

Overall, it’s a fine game. I’m actually more impressed with it than anything else, despite my innumerable critiques. I don’t expect Star Wars games to be good these days, so it actually exceeded my expectations. It’s not the best, but it gets the job done.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1502 on: 18 December, 2019, 11:15:05 pm »

NES game, of course. >_>

Edit: Not just Castlevania!

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Silent Hill
Spyro the Dragon
Super Castlevania IV
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 2
Bioshock
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Fallout 3
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Portal
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mass Effect 3
Batman: Arkham City
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
Fallout: New Vegas
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Bioshock Infinite
The Last of Us
Dark Souls 2
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Bravely Default
Xenoblade Chronicles
Bloodborne
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Nier
Fallout 4
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Dark Souls 3
Chrono Trigger
To the Moon
Undertale
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
Chrono Cross
Nier: Automata
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Sonic Mania
Persona 5
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Inside
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War (PS4)
Detention
Hollow Knight
Soma
Red Dead Redemption 2
Celeste
Final Fantasy X
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Kingdom Hearts 3
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Devotion

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
VA-11 HALL-A
Owlboy
Transistor
Papers, Please
Axiom Verge
Shovel Knight
Dead Cells
Hyper Light Drifter
The Messenger

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Alliance Alive
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 12
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dragon Quest 8
Dragon Quest 11
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Xenosaga 1
Xenosaga 2
Xenosaga 3
Xenogears
Vagrant Story
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Suikoden 3
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Persona 2: IS and EP
Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
Digital Devil Saga
Digital Devil Saga 2
Devil Survivor
Devil Survivor 2
Earthbound
Mother 3
Lunar
Onimusha: Warlords
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Odin Sphere
Halo
Halo 2
Deus Ex
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
System Shock 2
Thief
Jade Empire
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Dino Crisis
Fatal Frame
Fatal Frame 2
Fatal Frame 3
Haunting Ground
Eternal Darkness
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Until Dawn
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario World
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Super Mario RPG
Megaman X

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Beyond Good & Evil
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Fable
Halo
Halo 2

Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Monster Hunter World
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Spider-Man
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nioh

Resident Evil 2 (2019)
Devil May Cry 5
Outer Worlds
Astral Chain
Hollow Knight: Silksong
Deltarune
Nioh 2
The Last of Us 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
Shin Megami Tensei V
Cyberpunk 2077
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1503 on: 19 December, 2019, 03:43:06 am »

whoops

hey play fable
Report Spam   Logged

Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #1504 on: 19 December, 2019, 11:33:22 am »

Man, **** The Messenger. I saw the trailer for the thing in the Nintendo Indie Direct being lead to believe it'd be a nice little linear Ninja Gaiden game only for it to pull the "metroidvania" card later and blend in with every other damn stereotypical indie game on the market.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1505 on: 19 December, 2019, 11:16:56 pm »

lmao not sure how that happened but hey, now you guys know I'm still regularly updating the first post of this topic
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1506 on: 22 December, 2019, 11:11:24 am »

good update
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1507 on: 29 December, 2019, 12:44:10 am »

endgame shadowbringers spoilers

Shadowbringers was so much better than Stormblood, except for that garbage at the end with Zenos. I actually cared about Emet-Selch.
« Last Edit: 29 December, 2019, 12:46:19 am by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #1508 on: 29 December, 2019, 02:58:23 pm »

that's a big jump. so how was stormblood youef

i liked zenos quite a bit but he's not big bad material and the game is slotting him into that spot. i think that's my biggest misgiving with shadowbringers so far
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1509 on: 29 December, 2019, 03:17:18 pm »

lol, I had this whole thing written up after I beat 3.0 but got lazy. I'll paste it here with some general updates after finishing most of the MSQ.

Stormblood was okay. The writing really suffered in splitting the story between two continents. To be honest, I think I would’ve enjoyed spending more time in Doma and the rest of the East than Ala Mhigo. The conclusion for the Doma arc was rushed. We beat the final boss, and then we’re suddenly going back to Ala Mhigo, which itself had a rushed conclusion as well. I mean, I guess we achieved our goal in Doma, but there it still felt that that plotline was disconnected from whatever happened in Ala Mhigo. It made for some very jarring pacing.

Lyse was a bad character, and she was more entertaining when she was disguised as Yda in ARR. She was goofy, and her dynamic with Paplymo was endearing. But she lost that charm in Stormblood, and I didn’t take much subsequent interest in her character because of that. A lot of wasted potential here.

Zenos was dumb in Stormblood. Yotsuyu and Fordola were more compelling villains. I hope we get some more interesting Empire characters in the future, but the writers are determined to keep Zenos relevant. However, I think Natsuko Ishikawa has proven herself with Shadowbringers, the DRK job quests, and Azim Steppe, so I hope she can do something good with Zenos if she is given authority over his character arc.

This game also revives characters too often. Gaius, Zenos, Gosetsu, Yotsuyu. I really liked Gosetsu and Yotsuyu's relationship in the post-Stormblood patches, but I think it should have been weaved into 3.0's plot rather than have the story kill them off and bring them back later. That said, I actually really like Gaius, and I enjoyed his brief adventures with Estinien in Shadowbringers. He's the only character I'm glad was brought back. Also he's voiced by Roose Bolton, so that's cool.

Other than the mediocre story, I still really enjoyed the dungeons, bosses, and music in Stormblood. Aside from whatever issues I had with the story, the expansion was otherwise solid. However, overall I believe that Heavensward and especially Shadowbringers were easily superior.

ShB however was pretty fantastic. The hype greatly heightened my expectations, and they were actually met. I'll post more detailed thoughts later.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #1510 on: 29 December, 2019, 03:29:15 pm »

i hated the living shit out of yotsuyu and everything they did with her after 4.0. i came out of 4.0 thinking "well, that was kinda okay, but really disappointing after heavensward" and then ended 4.55 just seething about how much I hated stormblood off the momentum of how much I hated 4.2 and 4.3 (also eureka, which you probably haven't touched but was the big thing they hyped up through stormblood that was aggressively unfun to play). otherwise, I agree with the gist of that. how they split it into two different stories that are only tangentially related to each other really did 4.0 in. the lyse focus was also really bad, she more or less had nothing to contribute. it really kinda says something bad about stormblood that what is universally considered to be the most compelling part of it, the azim steppe arc, has nothing to do with anything else lol
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1511 on: 29 December, 2019, 03:56:46 pm »

oh right, it's 4.0, not 3.0. I sometimes forget 1.0 existed.

Yeah, Azim Steppe was fun. I don't usually see Mongolian culture in games, so it was unique. It was like a little bubble of fresh air in what I could only describe as a swamp water.

Also, I did not care about Kugane. The MSQ rarely brought us back there, unlike Ishgard. More wasted potential.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1512 on: 30 December, 2019, 02:28:48 am »

also star wars jedi fallen order's story is actually getting pretty good now. It's like William Shakespeare compared to Rise of Skywalker.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1513 on: 30 December, 2019, 01:25:07 pm »

my name is protagonist

protagonist fallen order
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1514 on: 02 January, 2020, 06:09:31 pm »

lol end me

So I'm done with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. It is certainly not the best game I played in 2019, but it surpassed my expectations.

I’ll first comment on the story. I believed it started off quite slow in the first half of the game, but it picks up pretty quickly. The Second Sister’s backstory was compelling enough to keep me interested, as was Cal’s (thankfully). This game overall tackles the theme of failure more elegantly than the recent sequel trilogy. The characters felt more nuanced than those in the movies, and I was actually immersed in their arcs. It isn’t without its flaws, but I think this is one of the better Star Wars stories I’ve encountered. The character’s performances deserve praise, and I really enjoyed hearing some funny dialogue among Stormtroopers before they were alerted to my presence. Of note, one character is vastly underutilized, and I hope their role is expanded upon in the future should they make a sequel.

The gameplay is fun, albeit flawed. I really don’t want to compare this game to Sekiro, because I feel that although the Souls influences are strong, it is somewhat independent enough to stand as its own game. However, I couldn’t help but recount my experiences with Sekiro as I played this game. The game also draws inspiration from Uncharted. This is especially made clear in the climbing mechanics, rope swinging, and even just plain moving. The movement itself isn’t a problem in and of itself. It works for something like Uncharted, but it falls apart in a game like this where parry timing is essential. Cal is just so unbearably slow at everything, and the game felt so sluggish. It takes Cal a hot second to guard and parry, to the point that it felt like I had to react to certain enemy maneuvers before they even telegraph their attacks. I eventually got used to it, but playing Sekiro before made it difficult to adjust. And it still never felt as clean or satisfying despite getting used to the slower mechanics.

The last area throws out a ton of enemies at you at once, which I just think is lazy game design. I played on the second hardest difficulty, and although I was able to get it on my second try, it was stressful in the worst possible way.

The game is also buggy, and the presentation itself is subpar. Cal’s awkward movement, Cere’s bug eyes, and the myriad of glitches withdrew me from some immersion. I didn’t really look into whatever engine was used, but I don’t think the game is well optimized.

The boss fights were overall fine, but I was still left wanting more. Malicos and the Inquisitors had great fights, but the rest were largely forgettable.

Nonetheless, the exploration and progression elements were well done. It’s linear, but I enjoyed unlocking shortcuts, and the game does a good job of placing its bonfires meditation circles in the right areas. It replicated the urgency I felt in keeping my character in Dark Souls alive until I could find a bonfire, even though I never actually lost my souls experience points in this game.

Overall, a pretty good game. It’s interesting how our expectations shape what we think of media. If I was hyped for this game, I would have been left disappointed. But I expected mediocrity and got something that was actually quite good, which left a positive impression on me overall.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: