Ultimate Paradise
19 April, 2024, 04:15:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 ... 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 46116 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1185 on: 17 April, 2016, 12:32:02 am »

Gonna be some serious endgame spoilers, so don't look here out of mild curiosity if you want to savior the ending.

I ended up picking the Usurp the Flame ending, and that was quite sad. I have to say, I think I felt a more emotional attachment to this game than I did the other Soulsborne games. They all had a melancholic vibe, but this one felt especially poignant to me. I suspect that's because I was more involved in exploring every nook and cranny of this game while reading every tidbit of lore I could find. I think From succeeded in their goal of establishing "withered beauty" in this sort of game.

Whether or not I like it more than the original Dark Souls is a different story. It's hard for me to say, honestly. I have trouble picking between Demon's and Dark anyways. Dark Souls 3 however felt more consistent than either game. The pace never really felt off, and there weren't any areas in particular that I hated (Lost Izalith, Duke's Archives, Shrine of Storms). There also wasn't a boss that I hated, though I was disappointed with Yhorm. He could've been much cooler, but the game ended up resorting to a gimmick.

Actually, Ancient Wyvern wasn't great either. The initial run up to finding the point where you do a plunging attack was cool, but I wasn't expecting it to one shot him. That was a little lame. Still better than Bed of Chaos and Dragon God (though I think the former has cooler lore and the latter has a cooler design) if we're counting it as the standard gimmick fight.

Nameless King was difficult. I had some trouble with him, but I eventually beat him with no estus flasks and a sliver of my health remaining. Definitely one of the more cinematic fights. Also can't get any more metal than a skeleton king riding a wyvern while attacking you with a lightning infused sword/spear. Great fight.

Soul of Cinder was a good send off to the series as well. He gave me quite a bit of trouble, but only for the first phase. His goddamn lance form with his spin to win nonsense and healing miracle was just obnoxious, but I still really, really liked this fight.

I don't know how I'd rank these games, but I feel as though that is meaningless. While I was playing, I thought I would still prefer Bloodborne, but now I'm not even so sure. Somehow this game actually brought out a lot of the other Souls games for me. I'm impressed From is able to maintain this pace so far. However, I think it'd be nice if we had a bit of a break from these games. I'm not complaining about more Souls, but I'd like From to take their time to come up with new ideas. Maybe they have the manpower for it? I dunno.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Great game. If anyone is curious, it took me 48 hours to beat. That's with doing a bunch of PvP, exploration, and basically having no life this week because I had off from work.

One last thing. The Gwyn theme remix sounded quite similar to a Yoko Shimomura song.

« Last Edit: 17 April, 2016, 12:51:35 am by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 ... 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: