Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 02:39:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 43766 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1500 on: 06 December, 2019, 12:57:31 am »

Taking a break from FF14 to avoid burnout. I bought Star Wars on a whim the other day, and I’ve made some significant progress with it. Overall, it’s not bad. It plays like a much clumsier version of Sekiro with its parry mechanic and level design. The Souls influences are obvious, but it also takes inspiration from Uncharted with general character movement and platforming.

I have to emphasize the word clumsy though. It’s definitely not the smoothest game. I feel like I’ve fallen off cliffs far too many times than I can count, and that’s just because the game’s mechanics aren’t tight. Jumping while climbing is awful, and sometimes Cal just does some strange things during these platforming segments.  Unfortunately the game’s controls just aren’t as tight as they need to be. It takes too many cues from Uncharted in basic movement, which I don’t think works well for a game like this.

The level design is good, but it’s slightly marred with an awful 3D map. I rarely use it, but in moments when I need to, it’s more of a hindrance than it is a helpful tool. That said, it is satisfying to unlock shortcuts.

I’m also worried that this game lacks variety. I’m not sure how far I am into it, but I would venture a guess and say I’m at around the halfway mark. I think there’s just one more planet to actually explore, and that doesn’t really bode well for me. Of the three planets that I’ve been to, I don’t think I could tell you the difference between two of them. Everything just looks the same, and that’s a bit disappointing. The enemy variety has been fine though. I mean, most of them are Stormtroopers, but it’s not so bad.

The boss encounters have been subpar as well. Like, they’re okay, but they always end up being relegated to normal enemies afterwards. I know Souls does this too, but it literally happens right after I fight them in this game. Like, I’ll fight the Security Drone “boss,” but then the game throws another one at me and gives it a normal enemy health bar, but with the same amount of health. Also, I’d like to fight less drone robots and more Sith Lords and inquisitors. I get so excited when I encounter the Second Sister, but the game frequently interrupts that fight for story reasons. It’s the one boss that actually feels “epic” to me, for lack of a better word, and I really want to finish it up.

The story has been pretty decent so far. I encountered a major plot development that took me by slight surprise, though in retrospect, I’m not shocked given the nature of this franchise’s story. Cal is a very boring character though, and his character model looks really derpy to me. It’s not the actor that’s based off of him, but the actual character model. Sometimes he looks cross-eyed, or he’ll just be staring at the distance. Nothing serious, but it is kind of amusing. The Second Sister seems like a great character, and I hope they can maintain her arc at a good pace.

Overall, it’s a fine game. I’m actually more impressed with it than anything else, despite my innumerable critiques. I don’t expect Star Wars games to be good these days, so it actually exceeded my expectations. It’s not the best, but it gets the job done.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: