Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 04:03:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

ZR Rant time: One Piece fan characters

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZR Rant time: One Piece fan characters  (Read 923 times)
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #45 on: 07 September, 2008, 04:10:51 pm »

My characters are unoriginal as all hell. I got like one or two unique characters.
Report Spam   Logged

Fuuka Yamagishi
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Tsundere

DB maybe?

« Reply #46 on: 07 September, 2008, 07:41:04 pm »

Nothing is original, everything is cliche, etc, etc.
>_>
If you've thought of it, someone else has too.
Report Spam   Logged

This is an intense, heart pounding adventure! | Internet Antagonist, Prince Silly, The Bazle
Quote from: Jawo'
Stop riding my crotch, please. I don't even know who you are.

wat why are my fruit fighting i dont even get back in the fridge or meet a blendery death - TML
IngSlayer
~Baffling Artist~
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Indifferent

« Reply #47 on: 07 September, 2008, 07:54:30 pm »

Nothing is original, everything is cliche, etc, etc.

>_>

If you've thought of it, someone else has too.

^
Report Spam   Logged
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« Reply #48 on: 08 September, 2008, 01:34:03 pm »

Summary-Fanfiction sucks, come up with your own ****ing idea.
>.>

I already did, lolololololol!
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #49 on: 08 September, 2008, 02:19:44 pm »

*reads rant*

*hangs head about Dorian*
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
IngSlayer
~Baffling Artist~
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Indifferent

« Reply #50 on: 08 September, 2008, 04:05:43 pm »

I'll be writing an original story of mine once I can think of a plot.

-and a villain.

-and back stories for my chars.

>,>
« Last Edit: 13 September, 2008, 05:43:12 pm by IngSlayer » Report Spam   Logged
HylianFox
HylianFox
Internet Addict

« Reply #51 on: 08 September, 2008, 04:50:45 pm »

'Color' as an element would be related to 'light' as an element.
Report Spam   Logged
zeldafan42
If you want to get back in touch, find me on tumblr
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: ZeldaFan
Mood: Curious

A nostalgic wind blows....

« Reply #52 on: 11 September, 2008, 01:28:34 pm »

*reads rant*

*hangs head about Dorian*

<_< His ability isn't a Devil Fruit. That makes it ok.

Besides, Dorian isn't a strictly OP Fan-character. He's a crossover fan character. That makes him much more awesome.

I try to write stories that are very "out there". I like to avoid mainstream cliches, so I create plots that are unconventional, and I create the characters to fit those plots.
For example, in Catastrophix's base story, he is the mentor/father figure to three orphans. This is somewhat of a cliche. What isn't, however, is the fact that the orphans were collected from three different points in 5th-dimensional space. (Alternate universes, to you folks). It's a way of taking things that may be cliched and adding a twist to them.
Any kind of dimensional manipulation can be referred to as "Space"

To take an example from American sources, Hiro from Heroes can manipulate the "space-time continuum". The space half of that gives him teleportation abilities.

Also, "Space" can easily be used to describe different gravity based powers, such as black holes.

My favorite "out there" element is Space, since it's so versatile when used right.
It's just the same as Time, if you think about it the right way. By which I mean Gary-Stu level.
*Doesn't understand the term "Gary-Stu"*

But Space can also be a double meaning, like the space in between objects or outer space.

Gary-Stu is the male equivalent of a Mary-Sue.

Mary-Sue and Gary-Stu are fanfiction/fanwork terms for really...horrible characters.

These characters are usually super powerful, are related or have a romantic relationship with one of the canon main characters, are usually super good looking or super badass looking, and often are some kind of author insertion character.

Basically, 99% of all fancharacters.
Ah, thanks. But I usually tend to make personalities and stories for characters that aren't cliche' or I at least try to...even though my first Sonic fancharacter was related with one of the canon characters...

A lot of my fan characters are either subtle references to various other things I like, while at the same time being original personalities.

For example, the navigator of my One Piece fan-crew is named Diego Von Edgewright.
<_< Guess where his name comes from.
Ah, but Hiro's powers actually make a little sense. Space and dimensions are the same thing. They are reference points. Space is the basic reference point, and dimensions are the directions of reference. Stop me if I'm going too fast for you. And referring to gravity powers as "Space" is utterly wrong and stupid.

Also, Edgey!

To a science nerd, maybe. But to an otaku, it makes sense.

Lol, yeah. Each part of his name is based on a Phoenix Wright character.

Diego (Armando, a.k.a. Godot) Von (For the Von Karmas) Edge(worth)Wright.

And if you want to talk about stories with twists on normal cliches...

In my main original story, I have a Japanese character who is kind of stupid, as a counter-stereotype to the "Asians are smart" stereotype...and at the same time, the same character is a musical genius who can pick up any instrument and play it, as well as hear a song once and play it.
As both an otaku and a science nerd I can say it offends me. And your character is actually another cliche, the "idiot savant", in this case, a musical one.

....I would like to point out that the musical talent is actually a minor part of his character, and he has much more important character traits.

For example, the stupidity isn't so much he's an idiot, he just doesn't take anything seriously and doesn't pay attention in class. If he applied himself, he would be smart...but he doesn't apply himself.

In all honesty, I like to play with cliches. Some of them, I play straight, some of them I use with a twist, and others I do the opposite, a "counter-stereotype."

It all depends on my mood.

For example, I play with the cliche of, in a group of people with elemental powers, the leader is the guy with the power of fire. Instead of it being the character with fire powers, the leader of my team has the element of lightning.
Also, the leader is a girl, which plays around with several cliches as well.

Some are just more fun if you just play them straight. Like my one character who has the element of darkness being a reformed villain.
Well, that makes your character not the "idiot savant", but the "lazy genius". And yes, cliches are fun to play with.

No, I thought about that, and that isn't true either.

Blaze (the Japanese character) isn't an idiot, but he isn't a lazy genius.

No, in reality, he's the epitome of averageness.

Like....in school, because he doesn't try, he gets mostly C's, some D's, and the occasional B.

If he tried, he would get mostly C's and B's, with the occasional A.

He has this freaky musical talent that comes from nowhere, but other than that, he is mentally completely average. Nothing exceptional about him. He's not smart...he's not stupid...he's average.

Now, personality-wise, he acts stupid. But intelligence wise, he's average.

I'll writing an original story of mine once I can think of a plot.

-and a villain.

-and back stories for my chars.

>,>

It's hard.

My original story....I've been working on the characters and background information for it...since 7th grade.
I'm a freshman in college now.
Report Spam   Logged
Pleinair
TheDarkNerd
Knight

. . . They found me

« Reply #53 on: 14 September, 2008, 05:20:59 am »

I don't try to write fanfiction characters usually, I will just end up coming up with characters in the event that I ever end up in an RP based on a series (I'm more for reusing setting than characters in those kinds of RPs). This means I actually end up with quite a number of partially completed characters in my head, some of which end up having bits and pieces being used in other RPs, while others are simply never used.

The one I have for One Piece is a chemist with a bit of first aid training who can act as a ship's doctor (human test subjects always welcome). He cuts his hair with an acid pen and has a habit of breeding rats, much to the annoyance of the chef (not to mention he often extracts ingredients from food supplies). In combat, which he avoids as much as possible, he'll use poisons and the like, and at close range will rely on a flintlock pistol thingy which uses special ammo he creates, which are little glass balls filled with strange chemicals for a shotgun effect, or rats filled with pathogenic substances (live ammo). Oh, and he never bothered to learn how to swim, so he keeps an inflatable life jacket under his collar.

Yeah, maybe not too original, but I guess I was just trying to shy away from the whole Gary-Stuing effect that often comes with making RP characters.
Report Spam   Logged

postCount++;
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: