Ultimate Paradise
19 April, 2024, 01:46:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I just saw the commercial for CN's new Batman show.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just saw the commercial for CN's new Batman show.  (Read 1965 times)
Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #45 on: 05 November, 2008, 12:28:39 am »

Batman: The Animated Series needs to be revived; make it as dark as it needs to be, even if it has to be for Adult Swim.

The thing that truly sets Batman apart from other superheroes is how screwed up his rogues gallery is and how he must deal with that, merely being human. TAS cartoon handled Mr. Freeze and Two-Face even better than in the comics imo; there's so much more that could be done with a genuine Batman storyline.....why this path would be chosen is beyond me.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #46 on: 05 November, 2008, 01:51:52 pm »

Bringing this topic back on topic.

This new Batman show is EPIC WIN.

Seriously, I'm sick and tired of the angst. I'm sick and tired of the dark and brooding Batman. I watched that video ILS posted, and couldn't stop laughing.

It's about time we made fun of Batman. It's about time we stopped taking him seriously. It's about time we made a nod to the 60's Batman show. Because you know what? I watched the 60s Batman show with Adam West. And I enjoyed it.

I am going to love this cartoon for the soul reason that it's a cheese fest.
To tell the truth, I like Campy Batman the best out of all the Batmans.

Campy Batman > 90s Cartoon Batman = Tim Burton Movie Batman >>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Knight Batman.*

*List only takes into account Batmans I know well.

Ehh... I prefer the darker tones of Batman Begins/Dark Knight because that's how I feel Batman is supposed to be. You just need to look at his origins and the origins of his villains to know that. It's really a very dark story. I personally think the lightest Batman should be is a similar level to his DCAU incarnations.

However, I acknowledge that "Campy Batman" is supposed to poke fun at the series and not be taken seriously, so I don't mind the 60s series or this cartoon too much. My only problem with it was that it contibuted to people thinking the whole Batman franchise was "gay". Mind you, the early comics didn't help much...

Actually, now that I think about it, Batman/Bruce Wayne himself wasn't that dark in Batman Begins/The Dark Knight, IMO. It was Joker & Two-Face that made The Dark Knight as dark as it was, same with Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow in Batman Begins.

Also, we should remember that this show is on Cartoon Network, therefore IT'S A KIDS SHOW! It's obviously not going to be as dark as Batman Begins or TDK!

As far as I'm concerned, there can be loads of Campy Batman stuff, as long as there's also dark Batman stuff to balance it out. I don't mind people not taking Batman seriously all the time, just as long as it doesn't get to the point where it's impossible to take the franchise seriously.

*sits back and waits for this post to be ignored*
« Last Edit: 05 November, 2008, 02:08:02 pm by Richmond Avenal » Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #47 on: 05 November, 2008, 03:18:23 pm »

Also, we should remember that this show is on Cartoon Network, therefore IT'S A KIDS SHOW! It's obviously not going to be as dark as Batman Begins or TDK!

You still haven't watched any of Batman: The Animated Series, have you?

No one is saying that it has to be as graphic as those films; we're saying that it doesn't have to dumb down Batman's image to appeal to children. Commissioner Gordan got shot (with a bullet), Clayface almost smothered Batman by pulling him inside of himself, and Poison Ivy created her own family by growing plant-human babies, in part so that she could use their eventually mutated forms to steal money, but also because she was left sterile when she became Poison Ivy and she wanted so desperately to have children.......all in B:TAS; a "kid's show".

Just because it's on CN doesn't  mean that it has to pull a G.I. Joe and have guns in it, even though no one ever gets shot; it doesn' have to be TDK, but it doesn't have to pull any punches either.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #48 on: 05 November, 2008, 03:59:07 pm »

You still haven't watched any of Batman: The Animated Series, have you?

No one is saying that it has to be as graphic as those films; we're saying that it doesn't have to dumb down Batman's image to appeal to children. Commissioner Gordan got shot (with a bullet), Clayface almost smothered Batman by pulling him inside of himself, and Poison Ivy created her own family by growing plant-human babies, in part so that she could use their eventually mutated forms to steal money, but also because she was left sterile when she became Poison Ivy and she wanted so desperately to have children.......all in B:TAS; a "kid's show".

Just because it's on CN doesn't  mean that it has to pull a G.I. Joe and have guns in it, even though no one ever gets shot; it doesn' have to be TDK, but it doesn't have to pull any punches either.

Well for starters I don't know where to watch it. All I can find on youtube are clips and AMVs.

But I wasn't comparing it with TAS. Quite a few people were complaining about going back to this angle when we'd just had TDK, like they were comparing the two. They're completely different types of Batman, you can't compare them.

Anyway, it still seems to me that this show isn't meant to be taken seriously, same as the 60s series.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #49 on: 05 November, 2008, 04:03:10 pm »

That doesn't make it any less of a bad direction to take.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #50 on: 05 November, 2008, 04:09:45 pm »

Look, if it's that bad, chances are it'll only last two series at most. Why bother worrying about it? If you don't like it, don't watch it and wait for the next Nolan film. It's that simple.

Just be grateful that they don't seem to be roping any major Batman villains into it. Yet.

And before you mention Clock King, he was originally a Green Arrow villain.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
zeldafan42
If you want to get back in touch, find me on tumblr
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: ZeldaFan
Mood: Curious

A nostalgic wind blows....

« Reply #51 on: 06 November, 2008, 10:39:32 am »

Seriously folks, this is not a bad direction to take. You know why? It's exactly because of the success of The Dark Knight that people will enjoy this.

Because people like to laugh. People like to poke fun at the things they like. Most parody movies out there, the maker of the movie loves the thing he's making fun of.

We need this show, to balance out the excessive darkness of The Dark Knight. I'm being perfectly serious when I say "We need an excuse to laugh at Batman."

I love Batman. He was always one of my favorite superheroes growing up. But as I grew older, I began to love Batman for two very different reasons. One was the more serious Batman I knew from the Tim Burton movies and Batman: The Animated Series. But I loved the 60's Batman just as much. I like the idea that one character can be presented in such two, drastically different fashions. As much as I enjoy the darker, more serious Batman, I also enjoy laughing at the cheesy antics of Adam West. And you know what? I'm sure there are plenty of other Batman fans who enjoy laughing at the campy Batman as much as I do. After all, as campy as the 60s show was, it was initially very popular in its time.
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #52 on: 06 November, 2008, 10:45:33 am »

Seriously folks, this is not a bad direction to take. You know why? It's exactly because of the success of The Dark Knight that people will enjoy this.

Because people like to laugh. People like to poke fun at the things they like. Most parody movies out there, the maker of the movie loves the thing he's making fun of.

We need this show, to balance out the excessive darkness of The Dark Knight. I'm being perfectly serious when I say "We need an excuse to laugh at Batman."

I love Batman. He was always one of my favorite superheroes growing up. But as I grew older, I began to love Batman for two very different reasons. One was the more serious Batman I knew from the Tim Burton movies and Batman: The Animated Series. But I loved the 60's Batman just as much. I like the idea that one character can be presented in such two, drastically different fashions. As much as I enjoy the darker, more serious Batman, I also enjoy laughing at the cheesy antics of Adam West. And you know what? I'm sure there are plenty of other Batman fans who enjoy laughing at the campy Batman as much as I do. After all, as campy as the 60s show was, it was initially very popular in its time.

I agree. Balance is needed between the two version of Batman. I just hope doesn't get to the point where no-one can take Batman seriously. But that's a worst-case scenario that's pretty unlikely.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Choronzon
Dweller of the Abyss
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Indifferent

Don't follow me...

« Reply #53 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:15:55 am »

people only like to laugh at things if it isn't blatantly bad (meet the spartans, epic movie). If it tries too hard to be funny then it will just suck. The 60s batman at least tried to be a somewhat serious show. this is deliberately bad to try and get a few cheap laughs. i give it one season and then it gets killed.
Report Spam   Logged

"The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me." ~ Ayn Rand
zeldafan42
If you want to get back in touch, find me on tumblr
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: ZeldaFan
Mood: Curious

A nostalgic wind blows....

« Reply #54 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:22:57 am »

I suspect that it'll last longer.

Overacting =/= blatantly bad.

Basically, you have to look at this as a "serious" Batman show where the voice actors are overacting, and they aren't aiming for the dark, brooding image people usually associate with Batman.

If I had a TV, I would watch this show on a regular basis. And I bet my little brother, another huge Batman fan, would also watch it. Because he also loves the Adam West version of Batman.

That's at least two more fans.
Report Spam   Logged
Choronzon
Dweller of the Abyss
Semi-epic Post Whore

Don't follow me...

« Reply #55 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:26:20 am »

Basically, you have to look at this as a "serious" Batman show where the voice actors are overacting, and they aren't aiming for the dark, brooding image people usually associate with Batman.

If I had a TV, I would watch this show on a regular basis. And I bet my little brother, another huge Batman fan, would also watch it. Because he also loves the Adam West version of Batman.

i say a season at most. Firefly was a fantastic series, but that got cut off mid season. i just don't see this doing that well.
Report Spam   Logged

"The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me." ~ Ayn Rand
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #56 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:32:21 am »

i say a season at most. Firefly was a fantastic series, but that got cut off mid season. i just don't see this doing that well.

According to the wikipedia entry, there are two seasons currently planned.

Look, if you don't like it, don't watch it. It's really quite simple. No-one's forcing you to.

And we've only seen one trailer. I'm going to wait until I've seen at least one episode before I judge whether I like the show or not. If I don't like it, I won't watch any more of it. Simple.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Choronzon
Dweller of the Abyss
Semi-epic Post Whore

Don't follow me...

« Reply #57 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:36:49 am »

According to the wikipedia entry, there are two seasons currently planned.

Look, if you don't like it, don't watch it. It's really quite simple. No-one's forcing you to.

And we've only seen one trailer. I'm going to wait until I've seen at least one episode before I judge whether I like the show or not. If I don't like it, I won't watch any more of it. Simple.
you have to watch the second episode to get a good idea of how a series will be. the first episode is deigned to entice you and make you think 'man, this is awesome!' while the second episode generally shows the quality that the rest of the series will have. if you only watch one episode, make it the second.

this isn't just for this show, but any show.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #58 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:40:54 am »

But at least I'm giving it a chance. Sounds to me like you're condemning it after only seeing one trailer.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Choronzon
Dweller of the Abyss
Semi-epic Post Whore

Don't follow me...

« Reply #59 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:42:17 am »

i did the same thing to scary movie 4 and max payne. why should this situation be any different?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: