Ultimate Paradise
18 March, 2024, 11:39:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

This topic is now going to be a rip-off of Bizzle's.

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This topic is now going to be a rip-off of Bizzle's.  (Read 47265 times)
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1890 on: 20 March, 2016, 11:43:46 pm »

I'd say so, yes
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1891 on: 21 March, 2016, 12:56:46 am »

basically all akira is to me is that wicked opening scene with the motorcycle light trails

and then psychic fight scenes and Kaneda with his bitchin' laser
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1892 on: 21 March, 2016, 08:43:29 am »

I watched dubbed but I don't remotely remember which version.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1893 on: 21 March, 2016, 09:03:51 am »

I also want to give a shoutout to the soundtrack for being awesome and not what you would expect
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1894 on: 21 March, 2016, 10:50:25 am »

I think I'm gonna have to rewatch it next weekend with all this talk.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1895 on: 21 March, 2016, 08:05:40 pm »

I know this isn't anime, but I rewatched Wreck-It Ralph for the second time and I love this damn movie.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1896 on: 26 March, 2016, 11:20:56 am »

I was initially disappointed after the first PV, but this is actually not bad.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1897 on: 08 April, 2016, 03:11:33 am »

Well, guess I'll do some updates since I actually starting watching anime again. My friend forced me to watch NGNL with him. It was...ok? It was pretty entertaining, at least for a show that doesn't seem to take itself so seriously. Actually, the amount of asspulls reminded me of Code Geass R2. In any case, the fanservice was overbearing. I would like to consider NGNL a guilty pleasure, but the fanservice brings it down to a point where I can't even call it that. Meh.

Anyways, I also watched a few first episodes of some shows that started airing, namely Kabaneri and Re:Zero. I think the first show has already derived enough comparisons from people to Attack on Titan, so I won't parrot that. Re:Zero was actually better than I anticipated. I've heard the author of the light novel is notoriously brutal, so that's enough to keep my interested. I was expecting a generic harem, but I think this show will be much more than that if the first episode is any indication.

Still haven't finished Now and Then, Here and There, but honestly I need to be in the right mood for that show. I don't know if anyone has seen Aoi Bungaku, but I saw the first short about a month ago. It was really depressing to the point where it was oppressive. Pretty interesting tho.
« Last Edit: 08 April, 2016, 03:28:53 am by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1898 on: 20 April, 2016, 01:56:10 am »

Ok, I finished Erased. It's a shame they were unable to adapt more of the manga. I'd have liked to see more scenes with Airi after Satoru woke up from his coma. I also think some characters were in dire need of development. This seems like the sort of show that would benefit greatly from being two-cour. That said, I still enjoyed it.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1899 on: 21 April, 2016, 02:13:15 am »

well, parasyte went nowhere real fast so i can empathize. prolly took me 2 weeks to muster up the shits needed to finish the last few episodes too
You were right, the pacing of that show got really, really weird in the last bunch of episodes. The serial killer was so out of place and was a bad plot device to end the show on. Also it was like with each passing episode, every human became progressively dumber.

It started off great, but it took a nosedive after Reiko's death. She was the only compelling character honestly.

kana was pretty cool actually, way better than his girlfriend. shinichi should've hooked up with her instead
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1900 on: 21 April, 2016, 03:39:09 am »

I actually thought that Reiko's character development felt unearned, so I'd probably put the turning point before her death, but the decline definitely hastened afterwards. I guess that was largely because she was the closest thing to an overarcing antagonist for that thing, and all they had left were either minor characters with no hype who were unceremoniously killed off, and Gotou who, no matter how powerful he was, was always portrayed as a small scale, personal-level threat to shinichi alone rather than something big or ambitious.

Actually, it's kinda weird how the ending arc almost feels like an anti-thriller -- in lieu of of a standard kind of escalation, that arc was the show at its least personal, least inquisitive, least engaging, least overall threatening by the end, and practically everything ended on an anti-climax, like with the evil parasite conspiracy just being routinely disassembled by a swat team (somehow, despite everyone on said swat team getting killed by gotou immediately after), or gotou dying to bacteria, etc. it's kinda like it really stopped caring by the end and was just looking to wrap itself up.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1901 on: 21 April, 2016, 10:27:48 am »

I actually thought that Reiko's character development felt unearned, so I'd probably put the turning point before her death, but the decline definitely hastened afterwards. I guess that was largely because she was the closest thing to an overarcing antagonist for that thing, and all they had left were either minor characters with no hype who were unceremoniously killed off, and Gotou who, no matter how powerful he was, was always portrayed as a small scale, personal-level threat to shinichi alone rather than something big or ambitious.

Actually, it's kinda weird how the ending arc almost feels like an anti-thriller -- in lieu of of a standard kind of escalation, that arc was the show at its least personal, least inquisitive, least engaging, least overall threatening by the end, and practically everything ended on an anti-climax, like with the evil parasite conspiracy just being routinely disassembled by a swat team (somehow, despite everyone on said swat team getting killed by gotou immediately after), or gotou dying to bacteria, etc. it's kinda like it really stopped caring by the end and was just looking to wrap itself up.

It also felt like the author just forgot about the serial killer and had to conclude his storyline.

I really didn't like that character. He was entirely out of place, and I didn't think his ability to detect the parasites instantly made much sense. I know he's a psychopath, but really?
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1902 on: 24 April, 2016, 01:45:49 am »

I started Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, which is going to be a pain remembering the name of. I really liked the first episode. I'm not familiar with this sort of content, but I'm enjoying learning about it. The music is also great; I'm digging the opening. Seems like this will be very character-driven.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1903 on: 04 May, 2016, 04:17:43 am »

I've been able to blow through all these shows so quickly given that my next three months freed up immensely. I finished Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Excellent show. You can tell when a show does a great job at fleshing out its characters when it makes you empathize with certain characters that you would ordinarily hate. It would be easy to hate on Miyokichi, but as I think about her plight more, I could never dislike a character like that. Although it's less...I guess "epic" for lack of better word...than Berserk, the relationships here actually reminded me of the Guts-Casca-Griffith dynamic in a few ways.

I also finished Your Lie in April, and I ended up being disappointed with that one. It's less sophisticated, but I guess that's because it's a shonen. Still, they left a lot of character arcs untouched, and his relationship with his Tsubaki ended up going nowhere. I know that was sort of the point, but we never really understood what he thought of it other than "man girls sure are weird." I also think the show relied way too heavily on Kaori's death for character development. I mean, I get that was the point, but eh. rakugo show did that much better. I also got really tired of the same old internal monologues during performances by different characters. It was interesting in the first half when it focused on Arima, and then the show just spread itself too thin by using it for everyone else. literally didn't care about nagi or her brother

so that's my spiel on two shows nobody here has probably watched. gotta say i haven't watched this much anime in a small block of time in years. It feels nostalgic, even if most of the shows I watched were disappointing. maybe I'll get back into live-action shit again in the near future before I sell my soul to medical school next year

I'm watching Kino's Journey with a friend right now, and it seems pretty cool. Still have to finish Aoi Bungaku. I can only handle so much of that show at a time, though I've heard it becomes less depressing and oppressive in the later story arcs. Also have to finish Terror in Resonance but I'm pretty sure that show will stop being good from where I left off. Five seems like an awful character who could single-handedly ruin it. I have a feeling the plot will lose its focus very quickly with her stepping into the picture. also her character design sucks and is ugly. stands out like a sore thumb when compared to literally anyone else in this show
« Last Edit: 04 May, 2016, 04:19:53 am by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1904 on: 04 May, 2016, 05:40:34 am »

one of my anime club's officers is obsessed with your lie in april. saw one episode and it was just flooded with insipid anime romcom stereotypes, and i just hated the crap out of it. and then when he kept talking about "all the feels" he had watching it (generally speaking, i immediately turn my brain off when someone says the phrase "feels"), i kinda immediately assumed it suffered from key syndrome where it just artificially produces tragedy for no reason and to no end but to make the viewer feel sad. i guess that wasn't too far off the mark.

that's one of the highest rated shows on MAL, which i guess doesn't surprise me too much.

EDIT: oh, didn't notice you never finished terror in resonance. don't even bother, it just turns into a shittier version of death note once five comes in lol
« Last Edit: 04 May, 2016, 06:41:49 am by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 131 132   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: