Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 01:28:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

This topic is now going to be a rip-off of Bizzle's.

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This topic is now going to be a rip-off of Bizzle's.  (Read 47815 times)
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1905 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:58:42 am »

generally speaking, i immediately turn my brain off when someone says the phrase "feels"

You are correct to do this.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1906 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:06:08 pm »

one of my anime club's officers is obsessed with your lie in april. saw one episode and it was just flooded with insipid anime romcom stereotypes, and i just hated the crap out of it. and then when he kept talking about "all the feels" he had watching it (generally speaking, i immediately turn my brain off when someone says the phrase "feels"), i kinda immediately assumed it suffered from key syndrome where it just artificially produces tragedy for no reason and to no end but to make the viewer feel sad. i guess that wasn't too far off the mark.

that's one of the highest rated shows on MAL, which i guess doesn't surprise me too much.

EDIT: oh, didn't notice you never finished terror in resonance. don't even bother, it just turns into a shittier version of death note once five comes in lol
Yeah, that sounds about right. You see the tragedy coming a mile away, because the show doesn't try to hide it, but they didn't really do anything interesting with it at all. I mean I understand if you like it at age 15 or something. It is a shonen. But it has no reason to be that high up there on MAL. Then again, Erased is also up there so I guess it's to be expected. I don't know, maybe I'm just being pretentious, but these shows have no substance. They play it very safely and go exactly by the book.

I probably will finish Terror in Resonance at some point just for the sake of completion. But that's probably futile because I will never complete everything.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1907 on: 09 May, 2016, 03:32:06 am »

Mayoiga is supposed to be some sort of thriller/horror. It actually is fairly creepy, but not in the way the show intends to be. The characters are so badly written that I legitimately believe they're all psychopaths. It's actually pretty unsettling in a way. This is not how humans react to things.

might just be the worst show ive ever enjoyed, right up there with mnemosyne
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1908 on: 09 May, 2016, 08:36:25 am »

now i'm just trying to think of a horror anime that doesn't fit that description. that's a genre that i swear anime has never done right.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1909 on: 09 May, 2016, 04:05:14 pm »

I tried to think of every "horror" anime I've watched or attempted to watch, and you're right.

Higurashi - I like this for nostalgia's sake at this point. Watched it when I was 14 and liked it then, but I'm not sure if I'd like it now.
Another - This is literally Final Destination. I didn't even enjoy this show ironically.
Hell Girl - I watched three episodes of this and gave up.
Shiki - See above.
Elfen Lied - Nothing needs to be said about this that hasn't already been said.
Corpse Party - Literally torture **** advertisement for the game.
Mayoiga - Comedy.

There are also certain shows that wouldn't be classified as primarily horror, but they still have horror elements. I think a lot of these are quite good, namely Berserk (more so the manga) and Shinsekai Yori. They manage to pull off the feeling of dread much better than any of the above shows I listed. And if we're talking about manga, there's Dorohedoro which has a lot of really fucked up things. Guess that's more of a black comedy though.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #1910 on: 09 May, 2016, 04:22:39 pm »

Like, you have a ton of good options if you include manga, but that goes without saying because manga is far more diverse and less reliant on needing an audience. But yeah, I cannot think of any anime that specializes in the subject that actually got it right -- pretty much any horror anime I can think of gets that designation solely through overwrought imagery and idiot plots.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1911 on: 09 May, 2016, 07:03:06 pm »

I think horror's hard to maintain in serialized/episodic form. Even the best horror comics I've read are primarily mini series of one shots to some degree or their just horror themed superhero comics still (Swamp Thing, Tomb of Dracula.) I don't know if there's any horror anime films but that might work better than trying to maintain the tone/scares throughout 26 episodes. TV struggles with this too I'd say.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1912 on: 10 May, 2016, 01:29:21 pm »

Maybe it could work out if they could write characters worth a damn. I haven't seen many horror TV shows, but horror anime relies on characters being caricatures of mentally ill patients.

I will say this though: some of the imagery in Mayoiga was pretty disturbing. It kind of reminded me of some of the stuff you'd see in Courage the Cowardly Dog. but this was only like one episode so eh. This show is already a trainwreck but I really want to see how little of a fuck these writers give. Full anticipating it to off the deep end.

Also been watching Kabaneri. Seems alright, but I hope it ends up being more than just a spectacle to watch.
Report Spam   Logged
TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Happy

« Reply #1913 on: 11 May, 2016, 01:17:38 am »

Evangelion might be the only anime to do horror right and it ain't even horror. Also Shiki is amazing but it's not really scary it's just campy af while actually having a p. good story
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1914 on: 11 May, 2016, 02:20:13 am »

Evangelion might be the only anime to do horror right and it ain't even horror. Also Shiki is amazing but it's not really scary it's just campy af while actually having a p. good story
Interesting. Maybe I'll give it another chance then, since I'm usually ok with campy. Also I agree about NGE.

I want to watch Angel's Egg at some point. It seems like it's an appropriate movie to watch after this conversation.
« Last Edit: 11 May, 2016, 02:21:49 am by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1915 on: 11 May, 2016, 02:21:30 am »

Oh yeah, Perfect Blue is a good example of horror done well. That movie had some really, really unsettling moments.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1916 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:21:21 am »

Evangelion might be the only anime to do horror right and it ain't even horror.

My first exposure to the series was an AMV* of a Porcupine Tree song with most of the clips coming from the last few episodes where things get wild and I remember being really shaken by it, so you might have a point.

*unrelated side note my brother is four years younger than i am and when i mentioned an amv one time he had no idea what they were, it was very weird to me how prevalent they were for my internet timeframe/experience to basically not being a thign
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1917 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:58:59 am »

I think they're still a thing, we're just way past the point where they're even worth acknowledging.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #1918 on: 11 May, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »

I think they're still a thing, we're just way past the point where they're even worth acknowledging.

this. also that they're only a thing for specific older fans who are slowly being attrition-ed out of anime fandom as they grow too familiar and progressively less interested with the medium.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1919 on: 14 May, 2016, 04:59:22 pm »

Yes, the good old days of Linkin Park + Naruto/DBZ AMVs, made using Windows Movie Maker. Good times. I saw a HxH amv that was literally 20 minutes long and was about the Chimera Ant arc. it was eh, but I bet if you cut out all the narration in the actual show, the arc would actually amount to that much anyways.

Anyways, I started watching SAO. It's ok, but a little boring. The pacing was really bizarre. Kirito forms these relationships with people within the span of a few minutes, and the show expects you to acknowledge that said relationships have a lot of depth when something bad happens, but there isn't any real development. I'm also only four episodes in, so I'm expecting the show to become a less episodic as it proceeds. I'm actually enjoying it more than I expected, but that's probably because I walked into this show anticipating garbage.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: