Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 11:35:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I'm requesting to be a global mod

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm requesting to be a global mod  (Read 2716 times)
Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« on: 21 December, 2008, 06:21:43 pm »

I've been asked to post two things: This following back story and a request to become a mod. You can skip past the back story if you like ( or just not read any of this at all). I ask that you read it all though.

Okay, I'll try to make this as to-the-point as possible - please don't judge me...:

Just before I left the place because of how it was deteriorating and how there was nothing to do/talk about there, I was made an admin on The SSBB: Freeboards by the then owner of the board, Ansem102.

A while after that, one of the members managed to stage a site take-over - he changed names, deleted boards, de-admined/modded everyone, etc. - and I didn't have a problem with that. I even helped him in letting him in spreading madness by telling him details of conversations I had with others about the situation.

It was when he started making truly hurtful, personal insults towards certain members that it stopped being just fun and games in my eyes. I found out that he had done this with the knowledge of Ansem102 and another admin on the site (they all knew one another in real life) and I told everyone. He banned himself and partway returned everything to normal. I figured "whatever - he's banned now, so we can move on".

He later came back to the site for some reason, and put forth a vote on whether or not to allow him back. I strongly believed that he should stay banned because not only had he been banned in the past, but he had gone further than just taking over the site - he had said some stuff that was really out of line. He also said he hated the site on multiple occasions.

The vote was close, but most wanted him to stay banned. However, one of his real-life frineds (another admin) said that the site wasn't about strict rules and guidelines, so he let him back. I said that if he gets to come back, then everyone else who was banned would have to come back to. Everyone seemed to change their minds and then wanted to pardon everyone who had been banned. This didn't sit well with me.

A user was making fun of some of the UK members for not getting Brawl yet. One of the UK people told me that they had a problem with it. I told the user that he should stop making fun. He did it again and I said I'd change his profile if he did it again. he did it again, so I changed his profile.

After that, the guy who took over the site (and was allowed back by 'majority' vote) accused me of mod-abuse, even after I and the person whose profile I altered explained the situation. I know he only said this and started hating me because I told everyone his two friends knew about how he would take over the site and 'betrayed' him.

After a while, Ansem102 left the site and gave site-ownership to his friend who took over the site. this pissed me off, mainly because he was awarded with the whole site after all the things he had done.

I posted the Star Fox story (the really messed up one, I admit) and he said that counted as "a strike". I said "whatever", even though I had posted it before. I knew he wanted an excuse to ban me/de-admin me for he constantly talked about how terrible a user I had become (when I had never taken over the site...).

He made a general insult to everyone on the site about how they were stupid or something and I made an indirect insult towards him about being stupid - He de-admined me. I decided that I should just go with my oroginal plan to leave the site since I had no real reason to stay anymore.

Being de-admined wasn't what bothered me, but it was that he had never really gotten punished for what he did. I tried to get another admin to give me their password so that I could do the same thing he did to show him that he couldn't just get away with whatever he wanted. The admin I was talking to kept saying "he cares about the site now" and "that was in the past"...

That was frustrating for me, I admit. It was the first time I had gotten actually angry throughout the whole situation, so I lied to him saying that I had another admin's password already and if he didn't cooperate, I'd actually mess up the site instead of just de-admining people. He got scared and ratted me out, so I asked for my account to be deleted.

So, that's that. I just really had a problem with not seeing justice done, so I'd want them to know that I'd be there to deal out justice if need be.

As I'm sure you've all noticed, I've posted some ridiculous stuff on this site during my time here. Some of it in PMs, the rest of it in topics. I've been seeing what all is allowed to happen here and, since I've never been modded for anything I've posted/said, I can say it's a lot, be it conspiracy to take over a site to posting disgusting fan-fics to making overly thought-provoking questions. I can't say that I didn't enjoy any of all that, but I can say that it's shown that something needs to be done - not necessarily a complete overhaul of the way things are run here, but a revision.

What I wish for is for this site to become the bustling "place to go to" that many of you have said you'd like it to be. Of course, with new members, there will no doubt be new conflicts - conflicts of which the current set of obscure rules would not help solve that well.

I can't promise that I'll "save the site". I can't promise everything will immediately get better because of me. I won't pass out "I believe in Spring-Loaded" buttons, but I can promise that I won't settle for injustice, anywhere. Veteran Mods and Admins, as long as I have a say, will be held just as accountable for their actions as new Users will.

The reason that I'm posting this topic is so that everyone will be able to see it. There is a large enough staff as there is, so there'll be enough people without me as one. However, someone wanted me to say something about this, so I did. Say whatever you feel and feel free to pass judgment on me. I await your responses.
« Last Edit: 21 December, 2008, 06:23:17 pm by Spring » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

A Duck
Dmax
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Dmax the always adorable
Mood: Dead

ME!

« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2008, 06:38:01 pm »

>_>

I've Been making this same stand for the past month. Ive realized, you don't need to be in a seat of power to enact changes....

Report Spam   Logged
sasori1122
The Puppet Master
Administrator
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: sasori1122
Mood: Gay

The Puppet Master...is now pulling the strings

« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2008, 07:11:50 pm »

I am glad that you did go ahead and make the topic, because as I said over PM, it's not up to me as to whether or not you could be added on or not, or at least not entirely.

Probably some issues with it would be that the staff already has a few issues with getting along...sometimes there's a bit of bickering...and that your robust personality could cause more turmoil than there already exists.

There's a huge staff...and additions may seem superfluous.

However, you are straightforward in your opinions, which would be good for discussing what work would need doing.

And you seem to have as a primary interest strengthening the disciplinary system, which is a problematic system that needs revising and reinforcement anyways, and you could serve to catalyze action on that front.

I need to hear what other people would have to say before deciding either way, at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Code: 1118-0310-8208
Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Relaxed

Gaffit

« Reply #3 on: 21 December, 2008, 07:13:17 pm »

What event motivated you to request this position?
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #4 on: 21 December, 2008, 07:16:43 pm »

We already have ample (probably excessive) staff members, and there are existing conflicts between you and one or more of those staff members. On the other hand, our disciplinary system is something we have been saying we needed to revise, yet little has come from that discussion, so perhaps some fresh input would actually get that started.

My hands are a bit tied; I don't what the right decision is here.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: 21 December, 2008, 07:47:33 pm »

What event motivated you to request this position?

The topic about making the board more general, the topic about acquiring new members and a talk with Sasori.

I'm also fully aware with my relationships with Fooby and Ermine. I'll answer to what they have to say when they say it.
Report Spam   Logged

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2008, 07:52:52 pm »

What recommendations would you make about garnering new members and generalizing the site? I'm assuming your problem right now is you don't have the power to implement the changes.
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2008, 08:19:39 pm »

The consensus here is that we need to generalize the site, which isn't the hard part (making each board more all-encompassing). If we are to do that we'll need something that separates us from any other site and some kind of reward for being here.

What I mean by 'all-encompassing' is that each board (let's say the RP board) should have everything that you could want if your main interest is RPing (which I think it might have). The problem is that you can't say that any of the other boards have that - if I want to discuss serious issues within the music world, my topics would go in the same place as just general discussion. However, to get our boards to be like this and not feel too stretched out, we need more members.

For each of these boards (and for the site in general) we need something that makes us stand out. We may have a good General Games board, but we aren't famous for it. We'd have to start regular competitions that have something enticing as the reward, which brings me to my final point.

This may seem reminiscent of GFaqs, but hear it through. Imagine if we used some equivalent to karma, but not in the way that Gfaqs uses it (having to earn functions that should be available to you from the start). Instead, give people access to secret boards, their own board, or something that they genuinely want and you'll get/keep more people here.

I'm more concerned with what's done once those people are actually here though and to be honest, I hadn't been thinking about how to make this place more appealing to new users.

Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #8 on: 21 December, 2008, 08:23:30 pm »

This may seem reminiscent of GFaqs, but hear it through. Imagine if we used some equivalent to karma, but not in the way that Gfaqs uses it (having to earn functions that should be available to you from the start). Instead, give people access to secret boards, their own board, or something that they genuinely want and you'll get/keep more people here.

this has me very much interested.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
A Duck
Dmax
Semi-epic Post Whore

ME!

« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2008, 08:29:26 pm »

Spring, why dint you have them try this out, then see if it works. THEN request Gmodship. If you get global modship for this, then it doesnt work. what happens? you didnt earn the power you have.You should have had an admin take your request in, then if they all like it and it all works out, then you should have asked for it.

Now its just making you seem like you're bribing the Admins into promoting you.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: 21 December, 2008, 09:06:16 pm »

I've already presented my ideas. What Dmax said can be done - try out what I suggest to see if it works first.
Report Spam   Logged

A Duck
Dmax
Semi-epic Post Whore

ME!

« Reply #11 on: 21 December, 2008, 09:08:45 pm »

There you go. That makes you look less desperate for power, and more like you really want to help. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Gaffit

« Reply #12 on: 21 December, 2008, 09:11:44 pm »

It could take weeks if not months to see the full effects of these changes.
Report Spam   Logged

A Duck
Dmax
Semi-epic Post Whore

ME!

« Reply #13 on: 21 December, 2008, 09:13:32 pm »

It could take weeks if not months to see the full effects of these changes.

Yeah, and that would make it more worth his time.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: 21 December, 2008, 09:20:26 pm »

Like I said, I'm more concerned with what we do once we have new members.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: