Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 05:25:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I'm requesting to be a global mod

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm requesting to be a global mod  (Read 2726 times)
A Duck
Dmax
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Dmax the always adorable
Mood: Dead

ME!

« Reply #15 on: 21 December, 2008, 09:23:57 pm »

We provide them with assistance and support?
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #16 on: 21 December, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

And settle any and all conflicts that (will) arise with as little trouble as possible.
Report Spam   Logged

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Relaxed

Gaffit

« Reply #17 on: 21 December, 2008, 10:19:28 pm »

Conflict resolution is basically a must-have ability for any moderator. And the main problem isn't what to do when we get new users, the main problem is getting the new users before the site stagnates. Recruiting new members while retaining our tight-knit community is our main focus at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: 21 December, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »

While that is important of course, we have to be able to keep them here once we get them and that ties into proper moderation/rules/board set-up.

Report Spam   Logged

Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Relaxed

Gaffit

« Reply #19 on: 21 December, 2008, 10:33:08 pm »

While that is important of course, we have to be able to keep them here once we get them and that ties into proper moderation/rules/board set-up.

I agree that although we're in need of a lure it doesn't do much good without a line to reel them in, but without a lure you're not going to be using a line at all.

The staff is already working on planning the new arrangments for the board and the expansion thereof, but we all agree that the expansions simply can't be made unless we get more users without creating a lot of dead space.

And even if we do a good job with the expansions, some of the staff think that we need something unique to keep/get users here, such as a main site with the forum attached to it. Though how this would work, I have no idea.
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: 21 December, 2008, 10:47:38 pm »

I think it'll take every last one of advertising the site. It's also a chicken-or-the-egg situation with what our main focus must be (we need good boards to get users, but we need users to fill those boards to in turn make them good).
Report Spam   Logged

Fooby
« Reply #21 on: 21 December, 2008, 10:59:40 pm »

These are all good suggestions.

However, that's all they are. Suggestions. Suggestions in making the forums better, which we appreciate. But how does any of it equate to you becoming a mod?

Unless I read over something, he only shred of evidence supporting your claim is that the site will get bigger, and the userbase will grow. And these users will require moderating. But what if we are unsuccessful in attracting new users?

Nothing has changed. We are left as we are right now--a tight-knit community. Everyone knows each other, and generally, everyone is relatively friendly. Aside from the occasional spat, nothing needs moderated. We are currently fine with our current staff, aside from a few issues we are ironing out.

I have seen good suggestions in expanding the site, but I have yet to see an answer to the question I'm thinking:

Why should Spring be a moderator?
Not why does spring want to be a moderator, why does spring need to be a moderator?

It is my opinion that we cannot make a decision at this time. As Gaffit, I believe, stated, we will need time to see if this can be implemented.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: 21 December, 2008, 11:27:02 pm »

We can still start with these ideas and others we have now. And I've said multiple times that the site already has plenty of mods/admins.

The reason I want to be one is that apparently these things that everyone wants done haven't been - from what I've seen, things haven't been overly tumultuous, yet when problems have arisen, they aren't taken care of in an uneventful manner. Imagine if these problems broke out more often (and if we do achieve our goal of new members, especially form places such as GFaqs, 4Chan and others as have been mentioned, they will) and we still have the vague set of rules that we currently have.

Thinking of all that I've said so far as being merely suggestion only makes it seem that much more unattainable. Let's just start with it and see where it goes - I only made this topic because Sasori wanted me to. I do want to be a mod/admin, yet only to facilitate the things I've said should happen to happen.

So let's start making decisions instead of talking about making them and start doing what we say we should.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #23 on: 21 December, 2008, 11:39:50 pm »

That still doesn't really answer the question. You wanting to see your suggestions and the suggestions of others be put into practice still equates to you wanting to be a moderator rather than needing to be. If we were physically incapable of implementing yours and others suggestions, then you might need to be a mod. We are working on a lot of the problems that have come up and we are trying to come up with the best solutions possible. It's just a very slow process.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
sasori1122
The Puppet Master
Administrator
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: sasori1122
Mood: Gay

The Puppet Master...is now pulling the strings

« Reply #24 on: 21 December, 2008, 11:53:17 pm »

Of course...we did try to fix many of the same problems last year...and nothing ever got done...<_<

just saying...it's not like our track record is that great
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Code: 1118-0310-8208
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: 21 December, 2008, 11:54:09 pm »

I didn't say it wasn't a valid point. I was almost making his argument for him. >_>
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
sasori1122
The Puppet Master
Administrator
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: sasori1122
Mood: Gay

The Puppet Master...is now pulling the strings

« Reply #26 on: 21 December, 2008, 11:58:16 pm »

oh...?
you were baiting him to cite our inefficiency?
heh
Report Spam   Logged

3DS Code: 1118-0310-8208
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: 22 December, 2008, 12:08:52 am »

Didn't I already, yet without sounding like an jerk?
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #28 on: 22 December, 2008, 12:11:02 am »

Sometimes you have to sound like a jerk to make yourself clear. Though I can see how it would be necessary to garner support by not being a jerk.
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: 22 December, 2008, 12:22:03 am »

I'll keep that in mind...and I'd go ask people to join right now, but I'm beyond tired.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: