Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 06:08:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

YouTube is filled with more idiots than any other site.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube is filled with more idiots than any other site.  (Read 334 times)
Maniac234678
« on: 22 December, 2008, 12:59:04 pm »

Discuss.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2008, 01:00:09 pm »

Some of the comments I see make me want to punch my monitor.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2008, 01:01:50 pm »

concurred.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Maniac234678
« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2008, 01:05:13 pm »

Ever seen KingStegBlob's Halo 3 trap video? The comments for that speak volumes.

More on that, if you have yet to see any of them, search Failures of YouTube, which is a 15-video series mostly comprised of comments from that one video. Note that the videos are very vulgar, due to the nature of how many people who commented on that are, well...

Sums up how moronic YouTubers are in general, though.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2008, 01:06:52 pm »

Tool videos are particularly bad. Tool fans are real ****heads, it makes me sad, especially when it comes to areas of discussing religion and the quality of any other band that isn't Tool.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2008, 01:18:51 pm »

There were people arguing on a video of the song "Beyond the Sea" - what is there to argue about?

And it's not that youtube is full of idiots, it's that there are little to no restrictions to what is posted/said on the site - youtube is a common carrier, meaning that they have no real control over what happens on the site. All moderation is reactionary instead of proactive. There are plentiful idiots everywhere - we just see them more on youtube because there's nothing to stop them from showing what they really are.

Youtube needs people to screen their videos/comments.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #6 on: 22 December, 2008, 01:57:05 pm »

There were people arguing on a video of the song "Beyond the Sea" - what is there to argue about?

And it's not that youtube is full of idiots, it's that there are little to no restrictions to what is posted/said on the site - youtube is a common carrier, meaning that they have no real control over what happens on the site. All moderation is reactionary instead of proactive. There are plentiful idiots everywhere - we just see them more on youtube because there's nothing to stop them from showing what they really are.

Youtube needs people to screen their videos/comments.

Perhaps. I agree with most of that, though. For the commenting aspect of YouTube, the admins seems fit with filtering them (poorly) or strictly using the decisions of users rather than actively busting them and distributing penalties for them, and that just doesn't work. I'd also say the moderation team has their priorities mixed up; I hate the fact that a user can easily get banned for posting a clip of a show owned by Viacom or something while tossing out repeated death threats with incessant vulgarity gets a slap on the wrist.

Though I'd delve deeper and say that there is some degree of stupidity, or at least immaturity on the site. I've noticed that in some more popular videos and using the comment rating feature as a measure, that the public cannot discern constructive criticism, and as a result acts negatively when views clash no matter what degree of harm is applied by this comment. This can extends to bias against a harmless opinion, to certain methods of phrasing (Not txt spk, rather using certain harmless mannerisms from other countries, for example, using surnames first) to even the case of bias against using certain languages of all things.

I'd also throw in the very description of YouTube to boot; it's one of the largest and most mainstream sites devoted to videos of a broad variety of genres. That said, the userbase is going to be by default immense and larger than any site that has restricted its variety of content, and people whose presence might be of questionable worth. Add to that the fact that doing anything with a computer has become more accessible to young children, and you've got some newcomers of questionable maturity.
Report Spam   Logged
Gaffit
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Relaxed

Gaffit

« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2008, 02:13:37 pm »

XKCD! Always topical!

Report Spam   Logged

Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2008, 03:23:43 pm »

You forgot 4Chan.
Report Spam   Logged

Adol the Red
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Tripping balls

Adol, walking across the Garden of Madness

« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2008, 03:30:12 pm »

You forgot 4Chan.

Beat me to it.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #10 on: 22 December, 2008, 03:39:38 pm »

Or not. Since 4chan as whole is not an unintelligent community contrary to popular belief. Perhaps /b/ could be argued for that position, but the standard view of /b/ has rubbed off too much on the whole site; when you strip /b/ from 4chan, it really isn't THAT bad of a community. As for /b/, it's filled mostly with trolls, who have more awareness than the standard YouTube n00b. It's less pleasant of a community, but not as dumb in general.
« Last Edit: 22 December, 2008, 03:42:11 pm by May-Knee-Ack » Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #11 on: 22 December, 2008, 06:36:27 pm »

Me too.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #12 on: 22 December, 2008, 11:05:38 pm »

4chan is filled with people who are self-aware that they are being stupid though. Youtube's community on the other hand is filled with stupid people who aren't self-aware of their asinine comments.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #13 on: 23 December, 2008, 05:02:43 am »

lern2reed nub

4chan is filled with people who are self-aware that they are being stupid though. Youtube's community on the other hand is filled with stupid people who aren't self-aware of their asinine comments.

Dead-on precise. That, and when a community knows how to press every button of another community who will friggin' fall for it, wouldn't that imply that that they're more intelligent?
Report Spam   Logged
Judgment Angel Zero
*funny coment*
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Refreshed

Do you earnestly think you can defeat me?

« Reply #14 on: 23 December, 2008, 09:04:41 am »

Maniac. You are my hero for introducing me to the Failures of Youtube series. I haven't laughed so much in my entire life. Not sure if comedy was the creator's aim, but that was hilarious stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: