Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 07:28:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's QUALITY anime log

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's QUALITY anime log  (Read 29991 times)
Maniac234678
« Reply #870 on: 10 September, 2010, 05:18:41 am »

107 is getting way too much unwarranted hate by people who seem to have not been paying attention.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #871 on: 11 September, 2010, 03:02:40 pm »

It was a rather abrupt way to kill off the other main character of the series.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #872 on: 12 September, 2010, 01:41:48 am »

That's one hell of a title to give her. She's just another character who managed to not die within 10 chapters and thus got some degree of characterization. That's it. It's abrupt, but that's a main trait of most deaths in Claymore. The hate I'm talking about stems from purposefully ignoring details and calling "character derailment" in order to exaggerate the details of her death, which seems to be generated solely to accentuate how much the reader hates the chapter. Everything is consistent with the story and character beyond the fact that Alicia and Beth were given clones.
« Last Edit: 12 September, 2010, 01:47:58 am by Lord and Savior » Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #873 on: 03 October, 2010, 12:10:22 pm »

Claymore 108:

Summary in one sentence: Yagi is too lazy to come up with a chapter that advances the plot, so we get "lol yoma attack on labona" just to stall for time.

108 was considered by many to be a make-or-break chapter after 107, so I'm sure that this won't be welcomed with open arms. Aside from stalling the epic final battle against Aiz--, I mean, Priscilla, the point of this chapter seems to be something along the lines of "Yes, you bastards, Miria is dead. Now shut the **** up." I guess it's classy that it didn't end up getting some shitty cliffhanger in order to further prolong what everybody has been waiting a year for, so maybe 109 will finally bring something interesting to the table.
« Last Edit: 03 October, 2010, 12:12:43 pm by Eva-Beatrice » Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #874 on: 10 October, 2010, 06:06:56 pm »

Watching the Umineko anime, if only because I have nothing else to do. I think I'll throw in some notes for each episode, even if Umineko has been generally written off as a fad that has come and gone.

Episode 1:

- Snazzy OP: I think that this will be the zenith as far as quality goes. Mind you, the OPs for the VN were pretty laughable, if only because two-dimensional portraits were arranged over a background that manipulated every trick in the book to look three-dimensional.
- Still has the sno-cone head designs. I swear, the chins of these guys are steep enough to cleave stone.
- Kinzo scene in the VN set up the situation in full, providing exposition and developing intrigue. The scene in the anime... only worked with the latter.
- Airport scene has been skipped. That was the scene that introduced the characters by example. Instead, we get short descriptions for each character that massively violate "show, don't tell."
- Boat scene was skipped. The scenes from that event were moved to an elongated scene at the dock.
- Maria is instantly converted to a sinister disposition. That was intended to a shocking swerve in the VN, but it's explicitly spelled out at the first minute.
- Voice acting... big names, but nothing very interesting outside of Miki Itou as Eva. I'm fond of her performance, but only because Eva is the few characters who are actually allowed to, you know, act at this point. Actually, I think that Yuu Kobayashi as Kanon has potential, but nothing has come up, yet. On the bad side, George sounds like a pre-teen. He's 23. >_>
- Whatever is to said of QUALITY animation, the fact that character proportions and other ****-ups in Umineko art (broad shoulders for everyone, gourd heads, etc) make it tolerable. However, the magically-changing breast sizes of female characters isn't tolerable.
- The adult discussions cover about 2 hours of content in the VN before the first twilight ever happens. Arc 1 really intended to set up characters to the point where it wrecked its own pacing, but there is none of that. Still, Arc 1 did that to expand those characters in later arcs, but... this means that there is nothing to expand. >_>
- Subs suck. ten tonnes of told
- Every scene is a violation of "show, don't tell." Battler does have many monologues in Arc 1, but not to the extent that nobody else provides exposition. A pragmatic approach would have been to drop the monologues altogether and detail exposition using the conversations, so we can get the point and so that every character in the scene gets to act their personalities out instead of recieving one-dimensional interpretations. Of course, that didn't happen.
- Scenes run themselves to completion in the VN, but they jump around here. In addition to condensing the details of every scene to make room, each scene sounds disjointed and nonsensical.
- Rosa was a bit more complicated in the VN, but considering that the first action of any importance that she gets is her beating Maria, I think I finally know why everyone depicts her as nothing more than an awful parent.
- Kinzo is more lucid in the VN. Namely, he speaks enough and describes his opinions and positions enough that you understand what kind of character he is, but that does not stop him from being mysterious. In the anime, he's just built up to be ominous with absolutely no details about him being revealed outside of how everyone else describes him, which so far is very little.
- Beatrice does not appear until the tea party of Arc 1. In the anime, she is first shown on camera when she approaches Maria. This is just an all-around bad idea, as one of the more terrifying events in Arc 1 was Maria revealing that Beatrice gave her the umbrella, and later the letter, which is not something that the viewer is allowed to know.
- YAMI WO KIRISAKU OH DESIRE song is **** awesome

oh wow i shouldnt write this much for a bad anime adaptation from last year
Report Spam   Logged
Fuuka Yamagishi
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Tsundere

DB maybe?

« Reply #875 on: 10 October, 2010, 07:07:42 pm »

bad anime adaptations exist for you to tear them apart

i mean why else would they make them bad
Report Spam   Logged

This is an intense, heart pounding adventure! | Internet Antagonist, Prince Silly, The Bazle
Quote from: Jawo'
Stop riding my crotch, please. I don't even know who you are.

wat why are my fruit fighting i dont even get back in the fridge or meet a blendery death - TML
Rai
empirical wwizard of wwhite science
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Raizor
Mood: ...

« Reply #876 on: 10 October, 2010, 07:09:18 pm »

i mean why else would they make them bad

this is an incredibly good point
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #877 on: 10 October, 2010, 07:17:01 pm »

The Umineko anime is just a fad that came and went in short order. And I am participating in it one year later.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #878 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:20:17 pm »

The first episode was a lot more fast-paced than Higurashi's first episode. Much less fluff. It's better that way IMO.

And I don't think she'll die quickly. I'm willing to bet that one of the two women who were arguing about the heir will die quickly. Or the loli's mom.
Is there more killing in it?

There will be. Pretty sure there's no resurrection either.
Nice opening....

So what is all of this?

New show based on a VN made by the guys that made the Higurashi VN with a similar name but no other comparisons between the two.
You look meh.

But yeah, the animation is great.
Spoilers.
Wow. Already two episodes in and they kill off six people. >_>
End.
Things just got very interesting. This is looking to be better than Higurashi now.

You know, I cannot believe that none of you commented on Natsuhi's disgustingly large breasts.
« Last Edit: 10 October, 2010, 08:23:52 pm by Eva-Beatrice » Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #879 on: 10 October, 2010, 09:14:18 pm »

how foolish i was

and yet even with that i can't bring myself to play past the first hour of the vn
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #880 on: 10 October, 2010, 09:16:26 pm »

You only tried once. Trust me, the art in Umineko is so ridiculous that it makes every scene even more awesome. Try again, because I just popped enough holes into the first episode of the anime to sink a destroyer in seconds.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #881 on: 10 October, 2010, 10:39:08 pm »

Episode 2 (SPOILERS IF YOU HONESTLY CARE ABOUT ARC 1 AT THIS POINT):

- Out of all of the Umineko music that is played in the anime, the scary tracks are the ones that seemed to be preferred. Problem is, they're executed poorly; they play in the middle of nowhere, the transition is improper and they end too quickly. It's a shame, because the VN was remarkably good with that detail and conveyed what was intended perfectly.
- As expected, the scene where Maria pulls out the letter falls flat. It's even more laughable that the scene tries to accentuate Maria's creepiness with ridiculous faces when, for a horror technique, allowing her to read the letter normally is more unsettling than her bug-eyed expressions are.
- Among the first twilight victims is Kyrie. The only time Kyrie has any importance in the anime is during the last scene that we see her in, when she discusses the letter with Battler. This has a really blatant "I'm going to die soon" connotation. Thing is, Kyrie does have a presence in the VN to the point of this scene, so it seemed natural there. The scene seemed to be intended as a hidden means of foreshadowing Kyrie's preemptive murder without making it stupidly blatant, which was sort of cool, but the anime just wrecks it.
- Rudolf is gonna bite it with Kyrie, so let's say this: Rudolf in this anime is nothing like VN Rudolf. Because we skipped the airport scene, we don't know that Rudolf is a tremendous ****. He was as competent as he was in the VN, but that was a balancing factor to how he is otherwise immature and lecherous. Battler hates his father for his womanizing tendencies (namely, his ability to quickly marry Kyrie almost immediately after Battler's birth mother, Asumu, died. This being another detail that was dropped from the anime, but this one is important to the plot) so this was supposed to character development as the two reach some level of understanding.
- The scene between Jessica and Natsuhi is streamlined to a point where it's nonsensical; Jessica and Natsuhi don't have this kind of relationship. Jessica has a strained relationship with Natsuhi due to the strict upbringing , which we would have learned if the boat scene wasn't cut. Like the scene between Rudolf and Battler, this was meant to be character development where Jessica bonds with her mother a bit, but instead, Jessica gives Natsuhi her scorpion charm for supposedly no reason.
- Shannon gets her face ground to dust as well, so let's take a look at her. She has a backstory related to an orphanage of sorts, where she ran under the name "Sayo," which was changed to Shannon when she was employed by Kinzo. Her relationship with the family is terrible. She gets bullied by Godha, Natsuhi and Eva on a frequent basis. The latter detail is important, as a major detail of her relationship with George revolves around Eva's adamant stance against their marriage. In effect, the only people who actually treat her as anything but **** are the kids and Kanon. None of this has been detailed in the anime. Well, aside from George calling her Sayo, which is not described. Still, I think that this is somewhat forgivable in that it will (or should be) covered in Arc 2, so this may be interpretted as a non-disclosed backstory that is retroactively covered, but George's grief when he finds her mutilated corpse becomes less understandable.
- Minor gripe about the conversation with Natsuhi and Kinzo. Kinzo's transition from anger to friendliness makes a bit more sense in the VN, when you see the scenes where Kinzo communicates with Nanjo and Genji, where he displays that tendency. Regardless, it's easy to piece together some reason behind it, and this is a plot detail related to Arc 5, so it's definitely forgivable.
- Out of the six first twilight victims, we care about... none of them. Well, except for maybe Shannon and Rudolf, the latter of which only because he outright says that he's going to die. None of them seems to have anything that distinguishes themselves from any other character. Way to go, DEEN. Golden Slaughterer is horrifically watered down; the intro is not overwhelming, and the song does not play for long enough to be chaotic. Oh yeah, the acting is **** horrible and the character reactions are delayed or stiff. This is one of the more terrifying scenes in the VN, and here, it's just laughable. CUT TO OH DESIRE

****, I wish that I played this earlier so that I could have told you exactly how this adaptation is flawed while you guys sang praises to this.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #882 on: 24 October, 2010, 06:34:39 pm »

Finished the first arc episodes, so I'll **** about them even though these episodes came out 14-15 months ago. You know, in spite of all of the discrepancies with the anime in comparison to the VN, this isn't bad from the perspective of enjoying the show. However, that relies more on the build of EP1 rather than DEEN doing a good job. EP1 focuses more on the horror side of mystery, so it's fairly easy to adapt into something functional for entertainment, so long as you don't already know the point of Umineko. That said, later arcs focus more on mystery that requires the interpretation of the player, so DEEN's decision to piggyback on what is displayed and compress less "supposedly important scenarios" leaves a lot of the details needed to do that out of the product. Furthermore, Umineko establishes a built-in canon that the events of EP1 is part of; the anime's depiction of EP1 is so compressed that forming a conclusion without involving magic is difficult, if not impossible. DEEN wants to make this show as confusing as possible for the sake of horror and intrigue, but fails to realize that the VN did not do that for a reason. The final product is something that's serviceable for the moment, but just ends up becoming a big mistake that DEEN intends to replicate.
Report Spam   Logged
Esh
Ultimate Being
­
­ ­

Mood: Tsundere

« Reply #883 on: 24 October, 2010, 06:42:10 pm »

loldeen
Report Spam   Logged

~esh
Maniac234678
« Reply #884 on: 24 October, 2010, 07:06:50 pm »

To be fair, I do like the seiyuu on staff. Namely, I like Miki Itou, and I intend on liking her even more during Arc 3.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: