Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 02:10:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's QUALITY anime log

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's QUALITY anime log  (Read 29888 times)
Maniac234678
« Reply #1140 on: 26 March, 2011, 07:20:18 am »

creep
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #1141 on: 26 March, 2011, 11:40:09 am »

She's too old.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1142 on: 26 March, 2011, 11:51:07 am »

creep
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1143 on: 28 March, 2011, 02:30:53 pm »

In retrospect, Mozgus isn't really that cruel of a villain and I really have to question why everyone thinks that he's exceptionally evil by Berserk's standards. I mean, he's less evil than Adon, who became a **** joke villain after his first appearance.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1144 on: 28 March, 2011, 02:36:28 pm »

Adon wasn't that evil, dude. He certainly wasn't **** Mister Inquisition. So yeah, while Mozgus may not be as bad as some, he's still pretty bad.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1145 on: 28 March, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »

I'm gauging the sum of good attributes to negative when looking at Mozgus; he's not malicious towards those he respects, he doesn't do anything for the sake of unbridled cruelty, he actually seems to care about people (more than Guts, in fact). As a person, he actually seems neutral as he commits atrocities; going back to that one page during my previous analysis on Mozgus, he actually wasn't that malicious towards the woman he was about to have tortured. He definitely thinks that he's doing the right thing, and while that's not true by absolutely any means, it's a step above people like Wyald who know that they're doing horrible things, and yet don't care. Also unlike these villains, he actually does do other things that can be considered heroic, like when he tried to repel the spirit flood at the end of the Conviction arc in order to protect the refugees. If the refugees weren't myopic assholes who didn't give a **** about the safety of others, and if Berserk's world wasn't **** up, he would have looked more heroic than Guts did in that scene, whose reaction could be summarized as "die with some dignity, maggots." What did Adon do outside of "hahaha, you're a woman on the battlefield, I'm gonna have my men **** you so that I can get a laugh out of it?" It's on a miniscule level by Berserk's standards, but he didn't have a good bone in his entire **** body.

Though the biggest thing is that if Mozgus is "pretty bad," that means that "pretty bad" isn't much as far as Berserk's standards go. You get people like the Baron from the first chapter, who is basically beyond Luca Blight levels of evil. In spite of this, the existence of people like him is just an unfortunate reality to Berserk's setting and he's not really treated as anything special, but he's certainly **** worse than Mozgus. There are other one-episode characters like Gennon, Griffith's torturer or even Gambino, all of whom are worse than Mozgus, yet don't get as much of a response. Hell, that torturer is so incredibly evil that even Wyald was impressed by what he did to Griffith, and he doesn't seem to matter as far as reactions to cruelty goes. Why the hell are we condemning Mozgus when, unlike a large amount of unsung villains, he actually has a charitable side that is actually emphasized? Why are we condemning him when we don't condemn people who are ridiculously evil to an over-the-top level?
« Last Edit: 28 March, 2011, 02:58:45 pm by Beatrice » Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1146 on: 28 March, 2011, 03:14:42 pm »

More character focus, the charity and good works only serve to highlight the sheer horror of the torture. Besides, he's human, as opposed to the Apostles who just seem to have being evil something that comes from either what makes them activate the Behelit or just being Apostles.

Also, he's drawn better and played for more reactions from the audience. Things like the Baron and the torturer on the other hand are just there and then they're dead. Besides, don't we condemn the ridiculously over-the-top people?
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1147 on: 28 March, 2011, 03:38:53 pm »

More character focus, the charity and good works only serve to highlight the sheer horror of the torture. Besides, he's human, as opposed to the Apostles who just seem to have being evil something that comes from either what makes them activate the Behelit or just being Apostles.

For a list of characters Mozgus is more evil than, we have Zodd, Locus and Irvine. I dunno at this point, but maybe Grunbeld as well. Rosine and The Egg of the Perfect World are more evil than those guys, but they're still not as bad as Mozgus. Wait, aren't those all Apostles? Yes, they are. I do understand where you're going with the first part though, but the point is that the sum of those parts don't create something that deserves to stand beside Wyald and Femto as an example of pure villainy.

Also, he's drawn better and played for more reactions from the audience. Things like the Baron and the torturer on the other hand are just there and then they're dead. Besides, don't we condemn the ridiculously over-the-top people?

What of it? That doesn't make them less evil; hell, Wyald's influence on the story is practically nil beyond "let's see how atrocious we can make this guy look," but that doesn't change a damn thing. Why shouldn't people like the Baron be measured against Mozgus as far as evil goes, why should we think that Mozgus is truly on the level of the real monsters of the story?

We do condemn some of them; Wyald, Femto and Ganishka get the reactions that they deserve, but again, there are plenty of people who are just objectively worse than Mozgus. The Baron kills everyone in a town and tops it off by eating babies just for shits and giggles; he even has a speech about how the only thing that entertains him is being evil for its own sake. I've already said my piece about the torturer, but holy ****, even Wyald thinks that he's a piece of work for what he did to Griffith. They are just there while Mozgus is more than that, but this isn't a measure of influence in the story, nor is it a measure of how a character's actions are treated by the story. It's a measure of how nasty the fucker is, and Mozgus loses out to a ton of people who are **** speed bumps.
« Last Edit: 28 March, 2011, 03:45:34 pm by Beatrice » Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1148 on: 28 March, 2011, 04:05:29 pm »

You're trying to compare their evil and horror objectively. All I'm pointing out is why people react as you've noticed.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1149 on: 29 March, 2011, 02:33:50 am »

I came into this with a better reason: Because they're idiots.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1150 on: 29 March, 2011, 04:20:43 pm »

Huh, someone actually contested Mozgus' label as a complete monster on TVTropes right at the time I posted that commentary. I'm glad that I get to put that to use.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1151 on: 29 March, 2011, 05:37:40 pm »

Everybody loves irony.

Despite his Pet The Dog moment as for who he chose as assistant torturers, Mozgus' eagerness to torture atrociously innocent refugees just because their faith isn't good enough for his own personal tastes and without the slightest tangible proof of actual misconduct, added to the face that HE is the one responsible for the famine they suffer, puts him into this territory. And no, the fact that he does all this in the name of God does NOT count as a justification.
« Last Edit: 29 March, 2011, 05:40:27 pm by Trollumi » Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1152 on: 29 March, 2011, 05:45:12 pm »

In response to Ambar's issue, Mozgus actually does have altruistic qualities: Beyond his the mentioned Pet The Dog moment, he also has the safety of normal refugees in mind. As a result, it looks like he violates rule 4.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1153 on: 30 March, 2011, 05:35:42 pm »

Alright, Berserk is edging towards something questionable. I like the idea of a fantastic landscape with fantastic creatures, but I don't like the idea of Guts' party obtaining offensive magic or enchanted weaponry. That sounds like a recipe for a combat set-up based on power; it's the kind of thing that appears when heroes defeat enemies through level-grinding instead of the ingenuity that took down foes like Wyald and the Count.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1154 on: 02 April, 2011, 09:17:06 am »

Apparently, Sandy Fox was the dub VA for that one long-haired yandere from DRRR. I challenge anyone to imagine yandere Flonne and not laugh.

Also, apparently Joji Nakata is safe, which would be the first I've heard of that. That's great, but I'm still wondering if Miki Itou and Sanae Kobayashi are also safe.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: