Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 12:21:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's QUALITY anime log

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's QUALITY anime log  (Read 29860 times)
Maniac234678
« Reply #1275 on: 27 May, 2011, 10:20:27 pm »

I like because it's so intentional and creepy.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1276 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:40:16 am »

Well, that was an amusing 20 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1277 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:30:06 pm »

Time to kick off the summer with a 52 episode anime, and a very strange choice coming from me: Armored Trooper Votoms.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1278 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:33:17 pm »

Time to kick off the summer with a 52 episode anime, and a very strange choice coming from me: Armored Trooper Votoms.
Indeed. Maybe you're turning into Arnaham.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1279 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:35:15 pm »

This isn't on Ahriman's MAL, so I don't think that even he has watched it. I did get a recommendation for it and I found a good source, so I guess I should go through it.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1280 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:38:17 pm »

Considering it's in SRW, I'm pretty sure Ahriman's watched it or plans to.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1281 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:42:08 pm »

Plans to, maybe, but he's consistent at updating the **** thing when he finishes something. So if he's watching it, it's either on hold or dropped, and since everybody says that this is pretty good and since Ahriman has finished some pretty shitty mecha anime, I don't see why he would have done either of those options.
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #1282 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:49:38 pm »

I'm watching Votoms after FotNS actually. My plan was to watch it, but then I figured as long as I'm watching badass 80's stuff I should watch FotNS first.

fuckyeah
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1283 on: 03 June, 2011, 02:26:03 pm »

Recent Plan-To-Watch list:

Haibane Renmei
Last Exile
Honey and Clover
Mobile Police Patlabor OVA

I'm definitely going to watch one of these in conjunction with Votoms, assuming that I continue watching it. The Patlabor OVA is pretty short, but I can't find a good source for it anywhere, so the top three are more likely. I haven't heard anything but positive evaluations for Haibane Renmei, but I sorta don't want to watch that yet. Anyone want to weigh in?
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #1284 on: 03 June, 2011, 02:32:02 pm »

Honey and Clover

fag
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1285 on: 03 June, 2011, 05:27:59 pm »

Watched the first six episodes. It's kinda fun, but nothing is going on yet; still, I'm not bored at all yet, so I'll be ready for more later.

EDIT: Watched a bit more. A few notes so far:

- Chirico is far too standoffish to be that interesting as a character, but he is incredibly smart and clever. In the same way as Fist of the North Star, I like how we come into the picture with a character who is already skilled, competent and capable rather than a raw recruit, which is pretty neat for a real robot series. However, I'm more interested in what he can do rather than who he is; that said, what he can do is impressive.
- Chirico's team is incredibly strange. Coconna aside, his new "friends" are both criminals and good examples of anti-heroes, even if the resident law enforcement presence is incredibly corrupt. One is a black market runner who is no novice to heists and other criminal activities (he's also kinda black and has a blond afro), and the other is a salvager who has no qualms with unlawful distribution of repossessed equipment, coercion or trickery. Both only care about Chirico for his capacity to help them make money. When it seems to them like Chirico is about to screw them over, they are willing to drop his ass when he gets in trouble. They're the most interesting part of this arc just because of how strange their relationship with Chirico is; until this anime starts rolling with a plot, I'm keeping my eye on these two.
- Coconna, on the other hand, is incredibly generic. She has the personality and capabilities of a tagalong kid with a 16-year old body. The most notable thing about her is that she has a gigantic ass which is complemented by her gigantic pants. She would at least be attractive if she did not otherwise look kind of like a kid, nor if she acted like one; I guess it doesn't say a lot about a character when that would have been her best asset.
« Last Edit: 04 June, 2011, 12:39:23 am by Nyan Cat » Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1286 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:27:47 am »

So, I have decided that I want to watch short OVAs in conjunction with Votoms. I plan on having all of them be from the 80's and 90's, just because that period of time adds a certain kind of charm.

First up is probably the best of what I plan on watching: Cyber City Oedo 808. It's a short, 2 hour cyber punk series that's pretty generic and lacks depth, but that doesn't matter because it's still damn good in execution. Oedo's recipe sounds like it could only culminate in a "so bad, it's good" variety of show, and it doesn't help that the dub (Done by Manga UK, and we all know what that means) serves to reinforce that point and is more readily available. Thing is, even with a million utterances of vulgar language, cornball snarking and silly one-liners, all of it works. It's brainless and simple, but this OVA plays its cards so straight for the most part that it ceases to matter. Hell, even when it tries to not be straightforward, it still works well enough.

I'm on the fence for whether or not this should get a 7 or an 8 (I'll give it a 7 for now), but I can definitely say that this is the first thing I've watched in a long time that falls squarely into "good" territory and something that I would watch again for genuine entertainment.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention something:

The English version of this has a soundtrack is significantly better than the Japanese version. Unfortunately, it's also exclusive to the VHS releases.
« Last Edit: 04 June, 2011, 05:37:30 am by Nyan Cat » Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1287 on: 04 June, 2011, 11:02:30 am »

Dat 80's hair.
Report Spam   Logged

Ahriman
« Reply #1288 on: 04 June, 2011, 01:07:52 pm »

watch iczer
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1289 on: 04 June, 2011, 02:19:25 pm »

lol

Actually, I might do that. I plan on watching Genocyber, Baoh and Cybernetics Guardian, all of which are unrelentingly terrible, so...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: