Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 08:15:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's QUALITY anime log

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's QUALITY anime log  (Read 29998 times)
Maniac234678
« Reply #1305 on: 07 June, 2011, 07:08:54 am »

New page, hmm...

I know what to do.

I needed a pick-me-up after that marathon of shit.
Report Spam   Logged
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« Reply #1306 on: 07 June, 2011, 09:27:43 am »

But what about the last page?

Unless you have more than 14 posts a page...
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Ahriman
« Reply #1307 on: 07 June, 2011, 10:10:38 am »

I've got nothing to say unless you watch Iczer. It's probably better than most of this shit though.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1308 on: 10 June, 2011, 03:31:53 am »

11 episodes of VOTOMs for the day, since I haven't watched anything for the last few days. I have completed the second arc of VOTOMs, and I'm more than half-way through. So, this ending actually does work; all of the villains of the arc are dead (except maybe for Gon Nu, but he wasn't that important) and Chirico has finally completed his objective. However, now that Borough and Kan Yu are dead, I dunno what this next arc is going to pit against Chirico; if it's a recurring character, it will likely be Ypsilon, since Rochina is too ancillary to act. Then again, it might not be anyone we've met yet, so conjecture is kinda pointless now. I have 24 episodes left, so if I decide to continue watching this daily, I have the option of watching 6 episodes for four days or 8 episodes for 3 days. Decisions...

---

Today's bonus anime is the Fire Emblem OVA, which covers the first few chapters of FE1. In spite of this, I think that this was named after FE3, even though there's really nothing that differentiates this from the book 1 content taken from FE1. I watched the dub, which I think actually predates Marth's appearance in SSBM; for this reason, Marth has a more proper name in Mars, since Nintendo of America is thoroughly incapable of translating names properly. Notably, Mars is voiced by someone who sounds like X4's Zero if he was Texan (same VA as Shinji Ikari!); needless to say, he sounds stupid as all hell. Sheeda doesn't have a very good VA either and Gordon sounds absolutely terrible, but with the exception of those characters, this dub isn't that bad at all. It has a ton of characters with strange accents (countless Irish pirates, Russian bandits and a random French woman), but they're kinda endearing.

The OVA makes up two episodes, but seriously meanders across the first episode. It decides to throw in backstory, angst and trivial scenes out of place without realizing that this is a cheap tie-in for fans. This OVA is too short to waste time on meaningless scenes and really, unless the OVA could expand on characterization (and it blatantly can't), nobody cares about that crap. The second episode is less boring, but also wastes time on even less important characters like Navarre. Still, even with all of these criticisms, I can't help but love the idea of a Fire Emblem anime, and while it's generic as they come, just the fact that it was an FE OVA made it sorta interesting. It probably deserves less, but my Fire Emblem fanboyism compels me to give this a 6.

---

I also read a bit of the One Piece manga. Still haven't caught up to where I am in the anime, but this is going by fairly quick; in one day, I'm already 1/30th to being caught up!
« Last Edit: 10 June, 2011, 11:35:52 am by The Reaper » Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1309 on: 10 June, 2011, 11:37:05 am »

So, I've come up with a plan: 6 episodes of VOTOMS per session, along with the following schedule:

Day 1: Cybernetics Guardian
Day 2: Iczer-One
Day 3: Genocyber
Day 4 *SURPRISE*

I'm going to hate myself before the next week is done.
Report Spam   Logged
Esh
Ultimate Being
­
­ ­

Mood: Tsundere

« Reply #1310 on: 10 June, 2011, 03:03:40 pm »

Hey Maniac.... I haven't been reading this.... But are you watching Maria Holic? Cause you said you would.... And I was looking forward to watching something with you....
Report Spam   Logged

~esh
Maniac234678
« Reply #1311 on: 10 June, 2011, 09:44:25 pm »

no
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1312 on: 16 June, 2011, 01:26:09 pm »

Up to episode 41 of VOTOMs and I'm now on the final arc of this anime. I have gone through enough of this anime to be able to pinpoint the biggest fault of this anime: There is no reason at all for this to be 52 episodes.  In the Udo arc, we at least had an overlying objective in discovering the purpose of the operation that occurs in the first episode, which transitioned to Chirico's attempts to rescue Fyana in the Kunmen arc. The problem with all of that is that each sideplot in both arcs actually ended up being dominated by the sideplots of both arcs to a point where the show stops caring about Chirico's objective at times along with the viewer. These sideplots just meander along until they coincide with the main plot, at which point we just transition onwards to the next arc. This hits hard when the main objectives for both arcs have been finished half-way through the anime and the rest of the show just wanders on like a brainless zombie. The Sunsa arc was entirely about self-discovery for Chirico and the Quent arc sounds like it will just succeed the Sunsa arc. That's all good; this is enjoyable to watch, but the story as a whole really seems completely disjointed by the point and Chirico just gets whisked across the galaxy by fate. This is actually intentional; Chirico quickly figure out in the Sunsa arc that something is manipulating his course, but it just doesn't work at all. I still think this is a good anime, but I never found myself attached to the main plot when it existed, and now that the plot has completely merged with Chirico's characterization, I can't attach myself to anything.

---

Watched Cybernetics Guardian and Iczer-One. Both of which were pretty crappy, but made for good snark bait. Cybernetics Guardian, directed by the same man as MD Geist, is dumb as a bag of hammers, but was pretty fun to watch for the sake of irony. The plot is incomprehensible, skims over so many details and is just flat-out stupid, but almost in an endearing way.  I found it to be worse than MD Geist, but better than Death Force, so it probably fits in as a 3, but like MD Geist, it's fun to watch just because it's bad.

Iczer-One was something else, though, and I have good rant up next for Ahriman's sake. You had better be grateful, since you never do this for me. Normally, I usually hate whinny characters like Nagisa who refuse to just get the job done, but for her purpose in Iczer-One, she is completely justified. Iczer-1 is a complete designated protagonist almost in the same vein as Marche and a total **** with no ability to empathize with how badly she ruined Nagisa's life. Iczer-1 is supposed to sound apologetic and understanding of Nagisa's plight, yet she's obviously neither of those. Here, I found this on MAL; it perfectly outlines just what kind of person Iczer is.

Iczer 1 chooses Nagisa to be a component of her war robot without discussing anything about it with her, gets her parents killed by being caught off-guard, keeps whisking her away to places without even letting her know what's going on, puts her in terrifyingly dangerous situations, keeps talking to her like they're close friends without having earned it, sticks her in a tight top and mini-skirt that keeps showing off her panties, and finally gets her killed.

Iczer talks like she cares about Nagisa, but none of her actions support the idea. It's like she's autistic and can't comprehend other people or their feelings. She ends up being impossible to like. I was really thrown out of the narrative when Nagisa somehow comes to love her despite all this.

Let me put this in perspective: Nagisa's parents are turned into horrible abominations that try to kill her in the most nightmare fuel-tastic way ever just because: 1) Iczer-1 randomly chose Nagisa to be her partner without telling her or asking if she was fine with this, turning Nagisa into a target for alien invaders and 2) Iczer-1 is too inattentive to protect them. After killing these abominations, Iczer admits that it's her fault that Nagisa's parents are dead and promptly whisks her away to help fight a giant mecha. Nagisa outright refuses, screaming in defiance and tries to run away, at which point Iczer-1 abducts her, has her stripped and fused with her giant mecha. Nagisa is still defiant until Iczer-1 manages to press the right buttons and cause Nagisa to smash the pilot of the enemy mecha. Throughout all of this, Iczer-1 is incapable of understanding why Nagisa would be defiant, and yet the story acts like Iczer-1 is in the right.

Honestly, Iczer-1 is one of the more unintentionally unsympathetic protagonists that I've encountered in anime. She manages to be less understandable than every member of an invading race, who are perfectly fine with turning humans into disgusting monsters and killing people for just being there, in pretty much every single way. Hell, the most notable example of this would be Sepia, the lesbian lover of the pilot mentioned in the above (and a character who looks a lot like Eva-Beatrice notenote), is entire orders of magnitude more sympathetic than Iczer-1 in spite of all of the above. The only characters who aren't more sympathetic than she is are Big Gold and Iczer-2, both of whom are firmly entrenched in complete monster territory. The plot doesn't seem to understand this and pairs her up with Nagisa, suddenly making her depend on and eventually love Iczer-1.

Hell, ignoring all of that, the plot is bare-bones, the action sucks and the characterization is wonky (The first villain of the week, Cobalt, randomly changes from being calm, collected and vaguely sympathetic to a smug sadist). The only good aspect of Iczer-One is that the art is pretty damn good for 1985; it wouldn't normally mean anything, but since Iczer-One is extremely fond of body horror, it helps deliver scenes involving either of the two. Even with such a small boon, Iczer-One is appalling in quality and concept and gets to stand alongside Cybernetics Guardian as something objectively worse than MD Geist. 3/10.

Also, I'd like to end this with one more detail that pisses me off: Iczer-2 is a horrible sadist of a monster throughout this garbage. She also ends up turning Nagisa into a monster and forces Iczer-1 to kill her. Apparently, she comes back to life and becomes a good guy down the line in a future season. Just... what?
« Last Edit: 16 June, 2011, 01:30:21 pm by The Reaper » Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #1313 on: 16 June, 2011, 01:52:06 pm »

Iczer-One was something else, though, and I have good rant up next for Ahriman's sake. You had better be grateful, since you never do this for me.

I couldn't remember as much as that to talk about in Iczer-1 if I tried.

Also, I'd like to end this with one more detail that pisses me off: Iczer-2 is a horrible sadist of a monster throughout this garbage. She also ends up turning Nagisa into a monster and forces Iczer-1 to kill her. Apparently, she comes back to life and becomes a good guy down the line in a future season. Just... what?

For some reason I cannot comprehend, Iczer Reborn takes a much lighter tone than Iczer-1 and basically forgets everything that happened previously. Objectively it's better than Iczer-1, but the art was inferior and it was still shit and it was longer so I hated it more.

Also fun fact: the Iczer director was also the director for SRWOG The Inspector.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1314 on: 16 June, 2011, 01:57:25 pm »

The only redeeming feature that doesn't involve Sepia would be the dark tone of Iczer-1. If the other seasons aren't dark as all hell, they have no redeeming features.
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #1315 on: 16 June, 2011, 02:03:07 pm »

And lol you gave it a higher score than I did
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1316 on: 16 June, 2011, 02:10:35 pm »

I don't hand twos out like candy. Have you ever watched Happiness? I sure **** did, and it was awful.
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #1317 on: 16 June, 2011, 02:15:14 pm »

I don't hand twos out like candy.

I only even have 3 2's, for Iczer and that MegaTen OVA I just watched, because they're worse than my 3's. I guess my general scale would be higher since I'm not going out of my way to watch shit.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1318 on: 16 June, 2011, 02:17:55 pm »

I think that I will watch that Megami Tensei OVA. I want to reduce the amount of episodes of VOTOMS that I watch per day so that Genocyber and my surprise anime don't take too long to watch, so I'll probably pad the interval with that crap.

by the way look at my MAL anime list and comment on my ratings
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1319 on: 16 June, 2011, 02:21:26 pm »

Sounds horrible.
Report Spam   Logged