Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 05:40:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's QUALITY anime log

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's QUALITY anime log  (Read 29720 times)
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1995 on: 19 July, 2017, 02:04:15 pm »

i can't believe what i just read
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #1996 on: 21 July, 2017, 07:58:31 pm »

well that might have been the most worthless chapter of one piece in quite some time. they pretty much have to double the length of the next chapter just to justify taking a break next week lol

meanwhile that new one punch man chapter was dope. seems to be making a comeback now that the tournament arc is over

also the guy on the right wwwwwwwww
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1997 on: 22 July, 2017, 10:56:01 am »

he's right up your alley, eh?
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #1998 on: 23 July, 2017, 03:53:39 am »

hellsing anime is done. really long write-up largely meant for my own amusement/closure and no one else's ahead

----------------------------------------------------

The Hellsing anime was made a bit after the first two volumes of the original Hellsing manga were released, and the manga wouldn't actually end for another seven years after the anime first began. By that point, we've heard of Millennium, have a basic understanding of who they are and have seen the Major, but since none of those plotlines were anywhere close to resolution, the anime made a pretty wise decision in just axing all of the Nazi stuff altogether and reinventing the general scenario. It follows the core of the first two volumes spread out by some filler over the first 7 episodes while largely omitting any influence from Millennium and modifying some of the individual arcs largely to fill them out, like adding a full episode to explain who the hell Luke and Jan are. The anime preserves the characterizations of the cast up to that point in the manga such that they're believably the same characters minus some of the character quirks and twists that were largely established later in the manga: Alucard feels quite a bit less evil, Walter is a good guy throughout, Seras doesn't really have comic relief moments, etc.

I think the original contributions made to the anime are rather mixed in quality: the anime gives Seras a lot more focus and it does fill in a lot of the holes in the scenario that Hirano just left in by adding additional character backgrounds and expanding the focus on certain organizations like Hellsing itself, which is more visibly a paramilitary force in this thing with several anime-original characters to take various roles in the organization. They spend more time establishing the "masquerade" the government maintains in regards to the vampire deal and their interactions with other military and government services within the UK. It makes the anime a lot slower than the original source material in the process, but it does actually make that world feel a bit more lived in. In a vacuum, I don't know if these changes are good or bad, but I was entertained enough by seeing what are essentially the same rather fun and interesting characters interact with each other in a different scenario such that I personally like it this way.

Once the plot gets into high gear, it's starts shitting the bed a lot more frequently and objectively. The earlier arc of the show focuses on how all of these vampires are being produced  by cybernetic chips distributed by some nebulous, heretofore unnamed and unseen organization. Just based on the source material by that time, they're trying to imply that it's Millennium doing it through a third party, to the point where the chips even have circuitry designed in the shape of a swastika. However, in the context of this anime, they go completely unmentioned and that sideplot goes unresolved. Instead, the ultimate conflict revolves around an anime-exclusive villain, Incognito, who is merely vicariously associated with that subplot in that he is "controlled" by the same force that's distributing those chips. For his part, Incognito is largely bereft of personality, personal goals or distinguishing character traits and is just there to provide a credible threat to Alucard for like, half an episode before Alucard godmods and murders the shit out of him. It's actually kinda funny how, after the final battle, the show reserves only a minute to wrap things up in maybe one of the last satisfying closing scenes I've seen in anything for a long while. Like, this anime is really trying to have it both ways by being self-contained, but it's also trying to humor the potential for a sequel when the source material catches up, and it trying to maintain that balance, the show doesn't really offer any real catharsis.

This anime is kinda weird coming from the original Hellsing source material. One of its chief writers and general scenario composers is a guy who got a lot of work in the late 90s and early 2000s: Chiaki Konaka of Lain and Big O Season 2 fame. Chiaki Konaka is fairly big on abstract horror and more or less just casually infused his influences into this thing, resulting in a hell of a lot of non-linear scene cutting and drastically more quiet and somber downtime. It feels a lot more sedate and atmospheric in a late-90s modern dark fantasy anime kind of way as opposed to the original manga's timeless brand of Hollywood bombast. I kinda appreciate Konaka's style in general and for anyone else who does, this show doesn't really disappoint, but it also carries his biggest flaw in that Konaka isn't really that good of a writer. I've read that Hirano largely hated the shit out of the anime, and given what this thing is like, I would totally believe that. The show has a kind of crusty rock soundtrack that I suspect gfloyd would appreciate. It's pretty cool, but it's ill-fitting for the mood of the show and plays largely whenever without any real context, so it's just kinda conspicuous.

As different and occasionally mishandled as this show is, I don't dislike it. It has some good ideas and it has some bad ideas, but I guess that's the cost of business with a adapting a manga that's only like, a fifth of the way through its run. I guess like, the reason I liked this show is because it's an interesting little novelty. It's the kind of show that I can totally see being big for its time, it's strangely similar to a lot of its contemporary anime from the late 90s/early 2000s in its pacing (at least, at first) and atmosphere that's kind of nostalgic even if its a pretty big divergence from the original thing. Kinda reminds me of a lot of the anime I watched in my formative years. It really does drop the ball in the end though as is GONZO's tradition. It's not as bad as, I dunno, friggin' Dragonaut or Glass Fleet since GONZO had some ability to get a team of people to make a show back then at least, but those last three episodes are absolutely rancid.

tl;dr: i dunno, i guess it's kinda okay, but not very good. recommended only if you, like me, really like hellsing enough to watch some glorified hellsing fanfiction that goes nowhere

----------------------------------------------------

crunchyroll also apparently has the first six hellsing ultimate movies. they uploaded them all like, 3 months ago so I dunno if they'll ever put up the remaining four. never watched past the 4th movie and i watched those sufficiently long ago that i probably documented it in this topic. might watch them for the novelty of it.

i'm back to leveling up dps classes in ffxiv, and since the new expansion added nothing but dps classes, that role's queue is severely bloated. so i plan on watching more anime in between the gaps but for the moment the next thing is tba
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1999 on: 23 July, 2017, 07:48:47 am »

The show has a kind of crusty rock soundtrack that I suspect gfloyd would appreciate.

i did watch the show back in the "watch some anime and talk about it on bp" golden age but the only thing i remember is the nosferatu looking guy they added for the end of the show whoops
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #2000 on: 23 July, 2017, 11:28:18 am »

The show has a kind of crusty rock soundtrack that I suspect gfloyd would appreciate.

i did watch the show back in the "watch some anime and talk about it on bp" golden age but the only thing i remember is the nosferatu looking guy they added for the end of the show whoops
same, pretty much

hellsing ultimate was one of those things that just felt like an ever-escalating spectacle, and it probably could have benefited from some pauses

at least based on what I remember

like I couldn't tell you much about the characters beyond the major ones
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #2001 on: 23 July, 2017, 11:53:20 am »

Never finished Ultimate. I did end up reading the manga and by the end I was pretty burnt out by everything. Those first few episodes of Ultimate though were among the first anime I ever saw/cared about so I still have a soft spot for some of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #2002 on: 23 July, 2017, 11:54:09 am »

The first encounter with Anderson is pretty great.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #2003 on: 23 July, 2017, 01:36:10 pm »

kouta hirano doesn't have much of an attention span and while he kinda likes the premises he comes up with, taking them to the conclusion is his weakness. his career is basically built on a ton of one-off/aborted titles. i assume the diminished quality by the end was largely just him wanting to get it done so he could just stop thinking about hellsing and start thinking about, i dunno, drifters, the next thing he thought was a cool idea and is now largely giving up on by releasing like, 6 volumes or something over almost 10 years.

hell, there was even a spinoff manga featuring shota walter and alucard in a loli's body in WW2 and he just killed that one after a few chapters lol
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #2004 on: 23 July, 2017, 02:22:32 pm »

The first encounter with Anderson is pretty great.

was super fucking rad
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #2005 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:05:21 pm »

Yeah, I actually watched all the OVAs and read the manga to completion, and Hirano basically has no idea of how to do, well...quiet scenes.

It's always either monologue or bombast with him.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #2006 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:52:58 pm »

if drifters has taught me anything, hirano has decided to add "weird, spontaneous super deformed comedy" moments to that list

not that they weren't in hellsing, but they're so **** bad in drifters.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #2007 on: 24 July, 2017, 12:50:37 am »

I always kinda treated them like omakes when I was reading, but yeah, his attempts at comedy are always super weird.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #2008 on: 24 July, 2017, 01:44:24 am »

like, early in drifters, the heroes rescue a village of elves (who speak a fantasy language that the heroes can only get around through magic) from the clutches of this evil human supremacist empire that had been using them for slave labor and their women as sex slaves. so after the heroes slaughter an advance party that had come to oppress the village, the elves discuss amongst each other what they should do next because surely the empire will send their main force to massacre the village. this scene is treated with the kind of gravity you would expect

then they put this fucking scene right in the middle of it.

they do this about 6-7 times an episode.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #2009 on: 24 July, 2017, 02:51:00 pm »

Yes. I'm aware.

Hirano just kind of has no real awareness of...tone.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: