Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 01:47:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Hawk's Eyrie (Now offering free tech support.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawk's Eyrie (Now offering free tech support.)  (Read 4706 times)
Hawk_v3
Epic Post Whore

I'm: Hawk
Mood: Horny

« Reply #75 on: 07 October, 2009, 02:26:55 pm »

So, first off. Checking if your PC is onboard graphics or another card.

If your monitor cable goes into the region of the upgrade bays (the slots above and below the cable) then you have a GPU.

If it goes into the region above (the plate with slots on the left hand side of my fan), then it's onboard.

~~~
I'm going to presume you haven't bought a card yet, have a GPU already in the PC and would suggest you don't buy a new card until you know if your PC is PCI-E or AGP. You also want to buy a better card than the one you have, so make sure you know what you have.
~~~

I'll now tell you how to check what type your machine supports and will walk you through actually changing the card.

To check your type, download and run http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php which will examine your mainboard as well as your CPU. We're not interested in the CPU, so click on the mainboard tab and under Graphic Interface>Version *should* say whether it's AGP or PCI-E. I'd confirm, but I'm on the laptop, so it's not picking it up.
###

You will most likely need a *non-magnetic* screwdriver. I cannot stress that enough. If it picks up a screw by magnetism, then it can foul up the insides of your PC.

Next, is opening the case. Unplug the PC after turning the power off at the switch at the back of the PC. Lay it on it's side, and unscrew the cover, which is normally held on by two screws at the back edge where the cover slides on. While doing the following, try to keep touching the metal frame of the PC to ground yourself. Most definetly when you start, at least.

There's the typical insides of a PC. Admittedly a gaming PC, but yeah.

This is the other side of the upgrade slots. The only card in there is my GPU, and it typically sits about there in most PCs.

To take it out, there will normally be two things stopping you from removing it. A screw here;

And a clip under the card, here;

The screw needs to be removed (don't drop it) and the clip needs to be pulled down towards the bottom of the case while the card is gently pulled up. It may need a little bit of effort, but *should not* be forced. There tend to be capacitors around them. *Do NOT damage the capacitors.*

The card itself looks like this:

Don't touch the copper contacts.

And the slot is:
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: