Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 01:06:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)  (Read 12169 times)
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #945 on: 22 April, 2011, 03:35:08 pm »

Friday 22nd April

Next.

Distant Glory XI - The Lady of Legend (Part 4)

Firion
Nothing really to report here, except it was annoying how easily the high-level Lady and Warrior of Antiquity enemies were able to dodge Firion’s attacks… Still, I wore them down in the end.

Emperor
Well this was always going to be an… interesting playthrough, to say the least. I rather enjoyed the early boss battle against Firion, though. Given their hero/villain dynamic (evil overlord vs heroic rebel), it was particularly fun to hit him with the Emperor’s EX Burst. Then, when Firion’s Phoenix Down accessory left him with 1HP after the EX Burst should have defeated him, it seemed appropriate to deal the finishing blow with Starfall, for that classic feel of the “Why won’t you just DIE?!” overkill that often accompanies a villainous breakdown. I suppose the effect is kind of ruined by the fact that the Emperor seems comparatively calm throughout the attack, but you can’t have everything.
I was rather confused by the ending of my initial encounter with the Fallacious Wanderer enemy on level 3. He managed to rebound two of my Flare attacks back at me with his Wind Shear move, so I had to try and take him out while at the same time avoiding them. The second one finally go me after I’d just inflicted Break on my opponent with Thunder Crest, and I was very surprised that the Flare managed OHKO me when the enemy’s was still recovering and in the double digits. It wasn’t until a few moments later that I remembered that rebounded attacks keep the strength of the person that actually used them, rather than changing to fit the stats of the enemy that blocked them. So, as my BP was over 7000 when the Flare made contact, it’s really not that surprising.
The Lady of Antiquity on level 3 was surprisingly easy, given the Emperor’s unusual playstyle. Or at least, it was the second time I took her on. The first time I wasn’t really sure what to do, and by the time I’d figured out a strategy, I’d already lost a fair bit of HP. Ultimately, however, that first match came down to Sudden Death, as both of us had the BP necessary to KO the opponent. I’d whittled down her health over the course of the match, and she’d built up a huge amount of BP due to a few very hard-hitting Brave attacks. I’d fired off a Flare, so she had to keep dodging that while attempting to finish me off. She managed to catch me in a final HP attack, and just before she struck the final blow in the combo, my Flare got her. Unfortunately, however, there were two things standing in the way of my victory. First was the fact that I’d just had Break put on me a not long before this, so my BP was still recovering. The second thing was that I was in EX Mode, having used it to escape from a previous HP attack a few moments before. Now, ordinarily, triggering an EX Burst would have allowed me to recover my BP more quickly and deal the final blow (while also regaining HP, thanks to the Emperor’s EX Mode bonus, not that that would have saved me, thanks to her huge amount of BP), winning the match. Unfortunately, her attack dealt the final amount of HP damage in the split second between my Flare hitting her and me pressing the Square button to initiate the EX Burst. If I’d had my full base BP and not been in EX Mode, I would’ve won that fight… Still, it wasn’t a total loss. I managed to work out a strategy that managed to get me through the rematch relatively unscathed. All I had to do was fire off Flare after Flare, using the next attack as soon as the previous one ran out of steam, while dodging her attacks. Shantotto’s HP attacks have the unfortunate side effect of rooting her to the spot for several seconds while she casts her spells, which meant that she was at great risk of being hit by a Flare while she was trying to attack me. It took a while, she got me with a few attacks, but I prevailed in the end. It was particularly cool on the rare occasion where she initiated a Chase Sequence, because my Flare as still in play and if we hung around dodging each other’s attacks for too long… Boom. It was rather nice to see her dodging my strikes, completely unaware of the large ball of explosive fire slowly creeping up behind her.
The battle against the later Warrior of Antiquity was somewhat easier, due to the small amount of space for him to dodge around in. He dodged very effectively, though, so I was forced to employ the usual tactics I employ when playing as Kefka, and just spammed pretty much every attack I had in order for him to trip up and get hit by the Flare. Finally, the boss battle against Shantotto went very much the same as the one against her copy, just more easily due to her lower level.
Oh, as a properly final note, Tidus damaged the fourth wall a bit at the beginning of his boss fight. He says “What’s this ‘Ungaaaah!’ stuff about?” which of course is the Emperor’s death cry, changing from the “Ubooaaaar!” of the original game.
« Last Edit: 07 May, 2011, 12:28:14 pm by Gargravarr » Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: