Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 03:40:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)  (Read 12093 times)
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #960 on: 23 April, 2011, 01:23:50 pm »

It's been a while, so I could be wrong, but it was either him, Shantotto, or Onion Knight.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #961 on: 23 April, 2011, 01:27:00 pm »

I haven't experienced Shantotto's playstyle enough to form a proper opinion of her, but I've always felt that Firion and Onion Knight are pretty good.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #962 on: 23 April, 2011, 01:31:50 pm »

Firion's limited range and extreme linearity hurt him, making Shield Bash his best move.

Shantotto...well, she's slow, has shitty range and startup, and...frankly, her moves suck unless she's in EX mode.

And Onion Knight...shitty range and limited approach options means he gets blocked and countered a lot.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #963 on: 23 April, 2011, 01:49:13 pm »

Is this against human players or the AI?

Also, I've always heard that Shantotto is one of the fastest characters in the game.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #964 on: 23 April, 2011, 04:06:14 pm »

Human, of course.

Her movement speed might be fast, but her attacks are slow and don't combo.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #965 on: 23 April, 2011, 04:09:28 pm »

Ah, right. I've only played against CPUs.

Okay then, so who are the "best" characters in the game?
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #966 on: 23 April, 2011, 06:26:26 pm »

Theoretically, Exdeath and Zidane.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #967 on: 23 April, 2011, 06:46:40 pm »

Figured as much. Bloody tiers again...

Exdeath I don't mind, but Zidane annoys me. >_>
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #968 on: 23 April, 2011, 07:00:50 pm »

Figured as much. Bloody tiers again...

Exdeath I don't mind, but Zidane annoys me. >_>
Just because of his dialogue, or how he plays?

Because Free Energy is simply one of the best attacks in the game.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #969 on: 23 April, 2011, 07:37:55 pm »

It's more a problem born out of his fanboys. You know how people tend to view Cloud and Sephiroth? That's basically how I feel about Zidane, Kuja and Terra.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #970 on: 24 April, 2011, 03:20:22 pm »

Sunday 24th April

Next two.

Distant Glory XI - The Lady of Legend (Part 5)

Squall
Maybe I’m just getting used to this fight by now, maybe it’s because of Squall’s insane BP game, but the match against the Lady of Antiquity on level 3 was surprisingly easy. There was one quite good moment, though, where LoA used a Brave attack that binds you in place for several seconds, locking down my movement. I hammered buttons trying to get free (I don’t know if that actually makes any difference, but it makes me feel better), and accidentally activated EX Mode. She then unfortunately got close enough for me to hit with a Blasting Zone attack, which doesn’t involve Squall moving anywhere at all anyway. So that’s a small fault in that move of hers… I also finally managed to Break her during the ensuing EX Burst, something that I haven’t been able to do in any of my matches against her thus far. Not when she’s at her full BP, anyway. Still, I suppose Squall was specifically trained to fight sorceresses…
And knights too, it seems. The battle against the Warrior of Antiquity on level 5 went much the same way as the one against LoA, except that this enemy was better at dodging and blocking my attacks. He also kept managing to attack me before I was able to finish using Aerial Circle, as well. If I’d been able to connect with that, the battle would’ve been over much more quickly. Squall’s BP game really is insane, though. WoA managed to Break me with his Ultima Weapon summon, taking me from 9999BP back to my base amount (after a brief post-Break wind up, of course), and just two Beat Fang attack later, I was back to over 8000BP. Crazy…

Ultimecia
Another “interesting” one… I’ll start with the fight against Warrior of Light on level 1. He opened the fight by saying “You cannot stop my time.”. I then spent the match building up my EX Gauge so I could use Ultimecia’s Time Crush power to prove that, actually, I could indeed stop his time. So there. A similar situation happened on level 2 with Cecil. He said “Time can’t stop me!” so obviously I had to put him right.
Level 2
Bartz: Must be nifty to be able to stop time.
Me/Ultimecia: Yes it is, actually. *EX Mode, Time Crush, EX Burst, Win*
Looks like Ulty’s not quite good enough to take down the Lady of Antiquity, though. It was a decent effort, but I just couldn’t deal enough damage with her. I tried using Time Crush to tip the scales in my favour, but Ultimecia’s slow movement speed during the casting time just made her a sitting duck for LoA’s HP attacks, so attempting to use Time Crush was what ultimately led to my downfall. Oh well… I took it out on the weaker LoA elsewhere in the level. It was back to my previous antics in the boss fight against Terra, though.
Terra: Time will never stop for you.
Me/Ultimecia: It’ll stop for you, though. *EX Mode, Time Crush, EX Burst, Win*
Level 4
Squall: Time for you to release time…
Me/Ultimecia: Shan’t. *EX Mode, Time Crush, EX Burst, Win*
Level 5’s Warrior of Antiquity battle was a little nerve-wracking. I don’t want to give away too much about this character, but let’s just say his EX Mode is one of the most dangerous in the game. And he entered this EX Mode a total of three times throughout the match, so I had to dodge like crazy (particularly the last time, as he’d managed to gain 9999BP thanks to the stage’s Omega effect along with his Ultima Weapon summon). I myself entered EX Mode twice in the match, but was unable to do much more than 1200HP damage with my EX Burst since I was unable to Break him both times. Apart from that, I had two different tactics throughout the match. First was to fire off lots of Knight’s Axe attacks, initiate Chase Sequences and hit him with lots of low-power HP attacks. Second, after he got a really high BP count which meant I didn’t want to risk Chase Sequences anymore, I switched to using Ultimecia’s Apocalypse Hp attack whenever he use a particular move of his that forced him to say in one place for several seconds. Anyway, I gradually whittle his health down, and eventually beat him.
Business as usual with Tidus.
Tidus: How do you compress time? I’m gettin’ dizzy…
Me/Ultimecia: Like this. *EX Mode, Time Crush, EX Burst, Win*
Something fairly cool happened at the end of my fight with Zidane, though. I’d just dealt him a powerful HP attack after a Chase Sequence, but he hit a wall right afterwards, and since you can’t deal the final blow with Wall Rush damage, that left hi with just 1HP. I then used Ultimecia’s Great Attractor HP attack, fully expecting to miss with it as it’s fairly easily dodged, but I managed to hit him and KO him, as my BP had just started to rise again following my previous assault, and I dealt exactly 1 point of damage. No overkill whatsoever. I thought that was rather neat, in both senses of the word.
So how did the final boss fight against Shantotto go, given my struggle against the Lady of Antiquity? Well…
Shantotto: Can you use time to destroy?
Me: Why, yes. Yes you can. *EX Mode, Time Crush, EX Burst, Win*

« Last Edit: 07 May, 2011, 12:28:57 pm by Gargravarr » Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #971 on: 24 April, 2011, 05:58:30 pm »

Terra: Time will never stop for you.
Me/Ultimecia: It’ll stop for you, though

Admitted, that line is quite awesome.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #972 on: 24 April, 2011, 06:23:31 pm »

Why thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #973 on: 05 May, 2011, 11:47:40 am »

Thursday 5th May

Next two.

Distant Glory XI - The Lady of Legend (Part 6)

Zidane
Finally, a character reasonably close to Shantotto’s own size… Anyway, Zidane really kicked ass during his playthrough. Apart from the Lady of Antiquity on level 3 reducing me to half health in one hit, it all went very smoothly indeed.

Kuja
Given Kuja’s generally low attack stat and my fairly poor equipment choices, I was concerned about how well he’d fare against the Lady of Antiquity. It went surprisingly well, though. All I had to do was use Ultima while LoA was casting an HP attack, when she’d be immobile for a few seconds. Cheap, perhaps, but you can’t argue with results.
On level 4, I managed to achieve the DP chance in Squall’s boss fight at the very last second. Seriously, the clock read 00:00:00, so there was literally no time left. I’d say that’s pretty noteworthy, right?
The battle against the Warrior of Antiquity was a bit more nerve-wracking than the one against LoA, mostly because of the enclosed space and the fact that WoA is better at dodging and blocking my attacks. I had to be careful not to initiate Chase Sequences in the later parts of the battle, as WoA had amassed enough BP to take me out in one hit should I fail to dodge properly. From that moment on, I had to rely on Kuja’s regular HP attacks. I pulled through with no HP loss, though, so it all worked out. The rest of the chapter passed without incident, although I struck the finishing blow in the fight against Shantotto with Kuja’s Seraphic Star attack, during which he says “I’ll bring this to an end”. Fitting, no?
« Last Edit: 07 May, 2011, 12:29:10 pm by Gargravarr » Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #974 on: 06 May, 2011, 04:31:53 pm »

Friday 6th May

Next two.

Distant Glory XI - The Lady of Legend (Part 7)

Bartz
This was a pretty standard playthrough. No particular highlights, but nothing really went wrong either.

Exdeath
Here it is. The big one. I still have six characters to use after this, but I think it’s safe to say that Exdeath will be the pinnacle of difficulty for this Story Chapter. Terra and Kefka could be pretty annoying, but not on the same scale as Exdeath. I may end up having to rely on his HP attacks rather than his blocks for some enemies, particularly Shantotto and the Ladies of Antiquity. Okay, let’s get this over with…
Shock horror! I actually lost against Warrior of Light in his boss fight! A curse on Exdeath’s crappy movement! I won the second time around, though.
As I suspected, I couldn’t win against the Lady of Antiquity on level 3. However, I did learn that Exdeath’s High Block can actually defend against her HP attacks (or at least the parts of them that do Brave damage), which means he can still counterattack. So that’s good news, at least.
The Warrior of Antiquity on level 5 was rather tricky. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s very good at dodging, and until it enters EX Mode, it doesn’t seem to attack that often. Basically I had to keep spamming my HP attacks and hope for the best. I won in the end, though, so it at least went better than the high-levelled LoA earlier on.
Nothing happened in the rest of the playthrough that really stands out, although the fight against Shantotto was much easier than the one against the high-levelled LoA. Overall, the playthrough wasn’t nearly as bad as I feared. Oh, and since Exdeath is even taller than Golbez, he also got his head and shoulders chopped off in some shots in the cutscenes.
« Last Edit: 07 May, 2011, 12:29:26 pm by Gargravarr » Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: