Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 12:10:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)  (Read 12040 times)
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #975 on: 07 May, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »

Saturday 7th May

Next two.

Distant Glory XI - The Lady of Legend (Part 8)

Onion Knight
Finally, a character that’s almost as short as Shantotto. Granted, Zidane’s pretty short too, but OK is the youngest character in this game, so it’s only natural he’d be smaller. But even then, Shantotto only comes up to his shoulders at the very most. Anyway, on to the actual playthrough…
It could just be because I’m getting used to these fights by now, but I totally owned the Lady of Antiquity on level 3 and the Warrior of Antiquity on level 5. Seriously, they could barely get single attack in. I mean, I know Onion Knight is a generally fast character, in terms of both movement and attack speed, but still… And of course, it helps that he has Brave attacks that can be chained directly into HP attacks. Shantotto herself fell just as easily.

Cloud of Darkness
The fight against the Lady of Antiquity was much closer than it was for Onion Knight. It only took me one retry to defeat her, but she still managed to take more than half my HP in one of her strikes. Still, after a couple of EX Bursts and frequent use of [O-form] Particle Beam and Tentacle of Suffering, I was able to triumph. I really hate her Omega summon, though…
I also had to retry against the Warrior of Antiquity, although this time it still went more smoothly. At no point did he manage to damage my HP during the rematch. His Ultima Weapon summon isn’t as annoying, either…
Oh, and CoD also got her head cut out of the shot in the final cutscene, due to her tendency to hover slightly.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #976 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:22:47 am »

Tuesday 10th May

Next two.

Distant Glory XI - The Lady of Legend (Part 9)

Terra
On this playthrough, I’ll be playing as the classic FFVI Terra with green hair. I can still remember the overreactions when people discovered she’d be blonde for this game…
The fight against the Lady of Antiquity went much better than expected, seeing as Terra isn’t one of my better characters. It was hard to hit with HP attacks, but Brave was accumulated fairly easily. She didn’t use her Omega summon, either, so that was a plus.
The Squall boss fight on level 4 was a bit of a slog, mostly due to Terra’s easily dodged (by CPUs, anyway) HP attacks and the generally irritating terrain of Ultimecia’s Castle. I got stuck in a rather unpleasant Beat Fang loop near the end, and I think it was mainly luck that allowed me to escape. But escape I did, and I swiftly punished him with an EX Burst finish after blocking another Beat Fang by activating Terra’s EX Mode.
The fight against the Warrior of Antiquity was a little nerve-wracking, as he spent a good portion of the match with enough BP to OHKO me. However, with some frantic dodging, a couple of EX Bursts (one of which I accidentally failed) and a little attack-spamming, I was able to pull through. Shantotto herself fell to a couple of regular HP attacks (to take care of her Phoenix Down), then I ended it by activating EX Mode and using Terra’s Holy Combo -> Ultima chain (which only really works when she’s in EX Mode due to her Doublecast bonus) leading into her EX Burst. Why? Because Shantotto has a habit of chaining her attacks together, and I wanted to get even.

Kefka
I’ve warmed up to Kefka’s playstyle over time, but I still failed to prevail against the Lady of Antiquity on level 3. I got in some good shots, I even managed to break her once, but her HP attacks combined with that bloody Omega summon proved too much for me. Oh well… I’ll take it out on the weaker LoA elsewhere in the level.
I didn’t fare much better against the Warrior of Antiquity on level 5, either. One of Kefka’s weak points is his fairly poor manoeuvrability, and I just couldn’t dodge WoA’s attacks well enough to pull of a victory.
Shantotto herself fell much more easily than her Manikin counterpart in level 3, which was interesting because her quote as she entered the fight was “We’re not even in the same league”. Yeah, I guess it turns out we aren’t, though not in the way she meant. There was a similar thing earlier in the level, when Zidane entered his fight saying “This is gonna be easy.” Yeah, for me.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #977 on: 12 May, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »

Thursday 12th May

Okay, here are the last two entries for this chapter of the story mode.

Distant Glory XI - The Lady of Legend (Part 10)

Warrior of Light
Perhaps I’ve underestimated Warrior of Light’s current level, given the performances of other characters at similar levels, but the fight against the Lady of Antiquity on level 3 was possibly the easiest one I’ve had against that particular enemy. I won’t lie, WoL’s Bitter End attack helped a lot (as did his EX Mode during the last Bitter End that led into the winning EX Burst), but even so…
The fight against the Warrior of Antiquity was one of the easiest encounters I’ve had against him as well. It only took me a single Shield Strike attack (admittedly with some critical hits) to Break him and give me enough BP to OHKO him, so it was then just a matter of getting past his constant blocking to take him out. The fight against Shantotto went even more easily, given that WoL was about 30 levels higher than her at the time. Perhaps it was a mistake to do his playthrough on my Bonus Day, given the bonuses you receive on those days…

Garland
Here we go. Finally, the last one…
I was surprised at how well the battle against the Lady of Antiquity on level 3 went, since Garland was a level lower than her, and I haven’t had the best luck with him in training. He was one of those characters I’ve mentioned before who never really seemed like he was doing the right amount of damage against opponents of an equivalent level. He’s supposed to be a heavy hitter, but his attacks have seemed rather… average lately. Still, that wasn’t the case here, I’m pleased to say.
The fight against the Warrior of Antiquity went rather well as well, apart from one lucky shot he managed to get in during a Chase Sequence I foolishly started that did about 4900 damage to my HP. But I have to say, there are few things in this game I find as funny as watching a CPU accidentally run headlong into Garland’s Cyclone HP attack. I think it’s partly the dull “thud” that attack makes on impact. It really seems like they’ve just run into a wall or something. Finally, Shantotto herself, as always, fell pretty easily. Oh, and Garland is another character who got his head & shoulder chopped off in certain shots of the final cutscene.
To finish off this entry, I’d like to mention something that happened which I think highlights Garland’s more… demonic qualities. At one point during my battle with the Lady of Antiquity on level 2, I used Round Edge and cased 666 points of damage with the final blow. So yeah…

Okay, so that's  it for Distant Glory XI. Just one more chapter after this, and I'll finally be done with Dissidia.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #978 on: 25 June, 2011, 01:59:50 pm »

Saturday 25th June

Okay, here we go… the final chapter. Or at least the final chapter that I’ll be documenting here. There’s still Inward Chaos, but I really don’t see myself attempting that any time soon. Anyhoo, this will be the same deal as all the chapters since the beginning of Shade Impulse. I’ll limit each entry to interesting stuff so as to avoid repeating myself. I’m sorry if these entries aren’t very interesting, but my lowest-levelled character is level 82, so yeah. Anyway, these levels operate under the same principles as the ones in Distant Glory XI, except that you face Warriors of Chaos and their mannikins instead of Warriors of Cosmos. All battles still take place on Omega stages.

Distant Glory XII – Redemption of the Warrior (Part 1)

Cloud
Unfortunately, nothing really that interesting happened in Cloud’s playthrough, but I finally got decent look at Gabranth and properly hear him speak. Like Shantotto, he speaks with an English accent, or at least a close approximation, but I feel that Gabranth’s voice actor does a better job of it than Shantotto’s. He seems to be a rather gloomy chap as well, talking about how pointless, yet inevitable everything is. Then again, Distant Glory XII takes place in an area where fallen warriors battle in shame for redemption and passage back into the gods’ conflict, and Gabranth’s role is to test one’s resolve to continue onwards, so I guess a depressing outlook on life is all part of the job description.
Anyway, the most interesting thing that happened was me almost losing all my HP thanks to the Sephiroth and Ultimecia boss fights on level 4, and I’m not really sure how it happened. Maybe I just got sloppy from lack of practice, I don’t know…

Sephiroth
Nothing really of interest happened in Sephiroth’s playthrough, although I did encounter a high-level Lady of Antiquity on level 3 and a high-level Warrior of Antiquity on the final level, both of which spawned due to me getting a 2-star rating for the chapter after Cloud’s playthrough. The battle against the Lady of antiquity went pretty well, all things considered, but I got absolutely slaughtered by the Warrior of Antiquity. Seriously, total pwnage. Its behaviour is classified in my guide as “Vicious”, and the authors weren’t bloody wrong there. In the end I actually gave up and ran away to the much easier Gabranth boss battle.

More interesting entries to come. At least, I hope you'll find them more interesting.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #979 on: 26 June, 2011, 01:45:00 pm »

Sunday 26 June

Next two.

Distant Glory XII – Redemption of the Warrior (Part 2)

Cecil
Again, nothing that interesting happened. But this time, through perseverance and a bit of luck, I was able to take down the Warrior of Antiquity on the final level and claim the chest behind it, which spawned after I got a 3-star rating for the chapter after my previous playthrough. I say luck because I really don’t know how it happened…

Golbez
I have to say, I’d forgotten how much I like Golbez. Not just as a villain (a combination of great design, cool quotes and an awesome voice actor), but I like his playstyle as well, though I think I might be relying on his Cosmic Ray attacks a bit  too much. But hey, they hit more often than Genesis Rock or Night Glow, so why not? And at least I don’t spam them like the Ultimecia copy on level 4 spams Apocalypse. And she almost always hits me dead-on, partly due to the confined space of Ultimecia’s Tower. It gets really annoying… Anyway, nothing really that interesting to say, though the high-level Lady and Warrior of Antiquity were both tricky to beat as usual. I’m really not looking forward to facing them as some of the trickier characters (Exdeath, Emperor, I’m looking at you). I may have to flee from them a few more times…
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #980 on: 27 June, 2011, 05:54:51 pm »

Monday 27 June

Next two.

Distant Glory XII – Redemption of the Warrior (Part 3)

Tidus
The battle against the Lady of Antiquity went pretty smoothly this time. Tidus’s dodge-strike attacks certainly came in handy, though I had to make sure to move as soon as possible after using a Quick Hit chain because LoA was very quick off the mark to use on of her HP combos as soon as I’d finished my attack. And with her being such a high level, those combos are deadly. The battle against the Warrior of Antiquity on level 5 went much less smoothly. I kept underestimating the length of his combos and the speed of his attacks. But then, after several retries… I don’t know, everything just seemed to click into place and I totally wiped the floor with the guy. I still can’t quite remember how it happened, but it only took about 30 seconds.

Jecht
This actually went surprisingly well, considering that I’m a bit rusty with Jecht’s combo timings (why must such an awesome character be so fiddly to use?). Some of the matches (like the Sephiroth boss fight) ended up running longer than they should have because I simply. Could. Not. Hit. The. Timing. But I was particularly surprised at how easy it was to beat the Lady of Antiquity on level 3. Seriously, I managed it on the first attempt and didn’t lose any HP. Hell, she didn’t even manage to hit me with that many Brave attacks. I was in the zone…
Things went back to normal for the final Warrior of Antiquity battle, though. I got beaten into the ground at least ten times (the retry count at the end of the level only goes up to ten), one particularly nerve-wracking attempt even leading to a sudden death situation, but on the final attempt, everything just seemed to fall into place. I dodged or blocked his attacks (which is no mean feat, as his brave attacks can come ridiculously fast), nailed my timings, and just released HP chain after HP chain. So yeah, that’s Jecht done. But there are still more worrying characters to go…
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #981 on: 27 June, 2011, 06:14:42 pm »

Gah, I missed a lot of these. Good stuff though.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #982 on: 27 June, 2011, 06:57:40 pm »

Meh, don't worry about it. At this point it's more about finally finishing it off than anything else. And thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #983 on: 28 June, 2011, 03:13:59 pm »

*Nod* Okay.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #984 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:01:34 am »

Monday 4th July

Next two.

Distant Glory XII – Redemption of the Warrior (Part 4)

Firion
I ended up accidentally beating The Emperor in a pretty stealthy way in this playthrough. At one point, fairly early in the match, I waited just below a ledge he was standing on, and he dropped down right on top of me, falling straight into a Lance Combo-Double Trouble chain with Wall Rush Damage and losing most of his HP in the process. The last bit of his HP was taken with a Straightarrow attack I fired from the opposite side of the stage’s central chasm, hitting him just as he walked out from behind cover. Straightarrow: the closest thing Dissidia has to sniping.
As a matter of fact, I ended up using Straightarrow in this playthrough a lot more than I thought I would. I found it particularly useful for taking out spellcasting enemies that stay still for their attacks, including Sephiroth and his Black Materia HP attack. In fact, I managed to beat Exdeath using only Straightarrow, firing after he used High Block, after he teleported with Reverse Polarity, whenever. The only shot I missed with was the first one of the match, which I fired while he was using his Black Hole Brave attack.
Nothing particularly noteworthy happened in the Lady of Antiquity battle, although after getting caught in one of her Bind attacks, I desperately spammed Shield Bash and ended up blocking her Fire spell (I was also staggered in the process, but it’s better than nothing). Later on in the fight I discovered that Bind could actually be blocked by Shield Bash, which I didn’t know was possible. That certainly made the fight easier. In fact, Shield Bash generally came in very useful in that fight.
The Warrior of Antiquity battle on level 5 was more interesting. I was Broken pretty early on and got caught in a Hatred attack that reduced me to about 1700HP, but I then used EX Mode to avoid a follow-up Guilt attack that would have allowed him to recover all his BP really quickly, and took advantage by firing a Straightarrow and entering EX Burst. I Broke him, did about 5500 damage and therefore regained the same amount of health due to Firion’s (awesome) Blood Weapons bonus, bringing me back up to just over 7000HP, while he was down to just over 3000. The tables had been turned. After that I waited for his EX Mode to run out, narrowly missing another Guilt attack, and hit him a couple of times with Shield Bash before finally finishing him off with a Reel Axe-Double Trouble chain. He amassed enough BP near the end to take me down thanks to his summon, but wasn’t in EX Mode at the time so he wouldn’t have been able to kill me unless it was in a Chase Sequence, which I was in no hurry to start.

Emperor
My victories against Golbez and his copy were pretty cool. I hit the Golbez copy with Flare as he was winding up Genesis Rock. That’ll teach him to spam that move… As for Golbez himself, I managed to KO him with Flare just as he was winding up for Cosmic Ray, while he was still dealing Brave damage to me. I had taken all but1 HP from him with a previous HP attack in a Chase Sequence that also dealt some Wall Rush damage, and my BP was only just starting to recover so I ended up doing just 5 HP damage, enough of finish him off. I honestly didn’t see the Flare coming, having fired it off moments earlier, and clearly neither did Golbez.
Any battle as Emperor on an open stage like Order’s Sanctuary is likely to be a long and pretty tedious one, as there’s simply too much space for the opponent to dodge about in, avoiding his traps. That was the case with Lady of Antiquity. I had to keep firing off Flares in the hope that they would creep up  on her while she was casting, since it was very difficult to land any attacks of my own. I also had to keep staying near her and hope she used a staff attack that I could block and counter with Thunder Crest, finally taking some BP with her and helping a Flare to catch up and hit her. Still, I finally managed to prevail. It wasn’t a hard battle, just… long.
It’s quite fun to watch Flare slowly creeping up on an enemy, knowing that it’ll hit them. It’s even better when said hit would end the battle. That’s what happened against Ultimecia. We both had enough BP to OHKO the other, I’d fired off a Flare a short while ago, and she tried to finish me off with Apocalypse, leaving her a sitting duck. Flare hit just before her magic circle got to me.
Considering that the Emperor is one of the most awkward characters to use in Dissidia, the battle against Warrior of Antiquity was surprisingly easy. The main problem I had was WoA’s broken dodging when his initial EX Mode ran out. In the end I just kept firing off attacks, hoping he would slip up and one would connect. Finally, I managed to hit him with a Thunder Crest, and I just so happened to Break him when the stage BP was at a pretty high level, a little over 4000. One EX Burst later he was down to under 2000HP, and all I had to do was keep blocking his attacks and respond with Thunder Crest and/or Flare. Easy. Lucky, but easy.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #985 on: 04 July, 2011, 03:44:32 pm »

I'm not very good with the Emperor. Not good with a trap based character really...
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #986 on: 04 July, 2011, 04:29:47 pm »

No, me neither. I overuse Thunder Crest. I prefer the more straightforward characters.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #987 on: 04 July, 2011, 04:33:08 pm »

Same, same.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #988 on: 04 July, 2011, 04:41:53 pm »

Yeah. I'm sometimes annoyed by how most of the villains are tricky or fiddly to use properly.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #989 on: 04 July, 2011, 05:07:11 pm »

I think it's particularly bad with Emperor, and kind of Exdeath as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: