Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 05:57:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)  (Read 12111 times)
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« on: 13 September, 2009, 10:10:38 am »

Well, since everyone else is doing it, I figured I might make a blog of sorts. As I live a rather uninteresting life, I figured I’d do a blog about my progress in the game I’m playing the most at the moment: Dissidia Final Fantasy. However, I may expand it to cover other games in the future. I hope you enjoy reading this topic for however long it lasts.
« Last Edit: 01 August, 2013, 11:39:38 pm by Gargravarr » Report Spam   Logged

. . .

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:12:57 am »

First entry: Friday 4th September - Saturday 12th September
Well, it’s been just over a week since Dissidia was released, and therefore since I got my copy, and I’m greatly enjoying it so far. Since I want to start posting current events as soon as possible, this first entry will just be a sort of catch-up.

The first thing I did, after the required PSP update, was to use the Data Install function to speed up loading times. I chose the middle amount (373MB) and waited for it to finish. This has actually made a very noticeable difference, especially when compared to my other PSP games. I now only have to wait a few seconds on the loading screen, rather than over a minute.
After the tutorial, I had to decide what order I was going to do the Destiny Odysseys in, since I’m a bit OCD like that. This didn’t take long as I had already come across an order that I was told made the best chronological sense. This order is as follows, along with the difficulty ratings:

1. DOVII (Cloud – 1/5)
2. DOIV (Cecil – 1/5)
3. DOX (Tidus – 2/5)
4. DOII (Firion – 2/5)
5. DOVII (Squall – 3/5)
6. DOIX (Zidane – 3/5)
7. DOV (Bartz – 4/5)
8. DOIII (Onion Knight – 4/5)
9. DOVI (Terra – 5/5)
10. DOI (Warrior of Light – 5/5)

Destiny Odyssey VII – Fate (4th – 6th September)
So after going through the Prologue, I started on Destiny Odyssey VII, Cloud’s story. For the most part it wasn’t too bad, and I agree that it’s a good one to start with if you’re a total beginner like I am. I encountered my first boss fight on stage 3, against Firion. It was a fairly easy battle, but still a step up from the regular enemies.
The only problems I had in this story, apart from the final boss (I’ll come to him later), were against the “Phantasmal Girl” enemies, which are copies of the character Terra. It wouldn’t have been too bad, except they both spammed Terra’s Meltdown attack, which hurts. Especially when they’re firing them off in rapid succession, giving me barely any time to recover. The second Phantasmal Girl (on stage 5) was worse, because not only was she a higher level than the previous one, but she also dodged very easily, which is bad news when you’re using Cloud. Still, with a little luck, I eventually managed to beat both of them. They only had 1HP each, so it was just a matter of actually being able to land a single HP attack.
The final boss of Cloud’s story, Sephiroth, was another matter entirely. I’d fought copies of him (called “Imaginary Champions”) in the earlier stages of Cloud’s story, but those fights just lulled me into a false sense of security. All of those fights took place on pretty open stages with a lot of room to move in, unlike Planet’s Core, which just consists of lots of platforms that were all small enough for Sephiroth to be able to hit me with melee attacks but still stay out of my range. It also didn’t help that I was very poor at blocking and dodging at this point, so after being massacred a couple of times, I decided to quit.
I decided to buy Sephiroth from the PP Catalogue so I could fight some practice matches against him at a lower level, but these matches were just as bad. They might have actually been a little worse, due to him now being able to use my newly acquired Magic Pot summon. Whenever I got a decent amount of BP, the summon would activate and he’d immediately gain a equal amount of BP, effectively cancelling out any advantage I might have had.
Still, I levelled up some more, got a bit better at dodging/blocking (and stopped trying to block HP attacks… >_<), gave Cloud some better equipment, and eventually, on my first attempt the following Sunday (6th September), I managed to beat Sephiroth and finish Cloud’s story. Next up: Cecil’s story.

Destiny Odyssey IV – Moonlit Knights (sometime between the 6th and 10th of September)
Overall, like Cloud’s, Cecil’s story wasn’t too bad. Although Cecil himself took a little getting used to after Cloud’s very straightforward play style. The first couple of stages passed without incident, except that the Phantasmal Girl I came across in stage 2 was a much more sensible fight than the ones in Cloud’s story. At the end of stage 3, I came across Cecil’s first boss: Exdeath. I was nervous about this fight, mostly due to my bad history with its stage, Planet’s Core. But it was actually surprisingly easy.
As in Cloud’s story, my biggest problem with Cecil’s story came with the final boss, Golbez. He was just as bad as Sepiroth, if not a little worse. I was completely new to his unusually attack style, plus he had a nasty Ifrit summon which boosted his already high BP to 150%. Basically, constant hard-to-avoid attacks + Ifrit = total ****. As with Sephiroth, I was forced to retreat in order to level up some more.
I bought Golbez from the PP catalogue for practice. I also practiced quite a lot against Warrior of Light, for a more “normal” battle experience. I levelled up quite a lot and got a bit better at avoiding Golbez’s attacks, though I was still far from perfect. I also learned to stay well away from him if he ever got into EX Mode until it wore off. Finally, probably more out of luck than anything, I was able to beat him and finish Cecil’s story. Next up: Tidus’s story.

Character Impressions 1: Cloud and Cecil
So here’s how it’s going to go: after every two Destiny Odysseys I beat, I’ll do another section containing my thoughts and opinions of the two characters whose stories I’ve just beaten. So first I’ll do Cloud & Cecil, then Tidus & Firion, and so on.

Cloud
Cloud was pretty straightforward to play as, and I agree that he’s probably a good one for beginners. However, he did feel a little clumsy, and it seems like his attacks, while they hit hard, are fairly easy to dodge, meaning you have to catch your opponent off guard. As I said above, his fight against Sephiroth on Planet’s Core wasn’t fun. Still, I haven’t really tried out his EX Mode bonuses properly, and his EX Burst is probably one of the easiest in the game to pull off (just hammer the circle button).

Cecil
Cecil took a little getting used to after Cloud’s very straightforward play style. His Brave attacks are useful, but I personally keep forgetting that I can use his Paladin form for Brave attacks as well, and not just his aerial HP attack. Speaking of HP attacks, I found Cecil’s a little difficult to connect with. Soul Eater has a very short range, and Saint’s Fall is pretty easy for opponents to dodge and counter if you don’t catch them off guard. Still, his EX Mode bonus of being able to switch jobs at will instead of just when doing HP attacks is kinda nice, but I found his EX Burst to be difficult to get a Perfect on.

And now, back to the story mode.

Destiny Odyssey X – The Road To Tomorrow (11th September)
Once again, Tidus’s story wasn’t too bad. My biggest problem with it as a whole was that the enemies didn’t yield much EXP, which meant that I was forced to engage as many of them as possible, and due to the layout of Tidus’s stages, each one having two paths, it was hard to do this and still get a positive DP count. Bad DP counts mean less good post-story bonuses. Tidus himself controlled fairly well, however.
This time, my biggest problem came from the boss at the halfway point, rather than the final boss. This fight was against the Emperor, and was a nasty experience for me. Similar to Cloud’s fight against Sephiroth, I think the stage played a fairly large part in my losses. Pandaemonium is a pretty cramped stage with lots of small corridors, which just made it harder to avoid the Emperor’s trap-like attacks. I had to be very careful when attacking, otherwise I’d just end up running headlong into one of the Emperor’s Flare attacks, which, after being caught in numerous trap-like Brave attacks, hurt a lot. In hindsight, maybe I should’ve just quit and levelled up a bit before trying again, but I eventually managed to beat him. I can’t quite remember how, though…
The rest of Tidus’s story passed without much incident, and then it was time to face the final boss, one of the epitomes of videogame manliness: Jecht. He actually wasn’t too bad. He’s the only final boss so far that I haven’t had to quit and train for, only taking me two or three attempts to defeat, despite me being a lower level than him. His attacks were fairly easy to dodge, despite the stage (Dream’s End) not having a lot of space to run around in. I knew I had to stop him from getting any EX Cores, though. His attacks were already bad enough when they connected, I didn’t want them to get beefed up. Eventually I was able to take him down with a well-timed EX Burst, and Tidus’s story was done. As a reward to myself, I bought Jecht from the PP Catalogue. Next up: Firion’s story.

So that’s it for now. I’m actually halfway through Firion’s story right now, so I’ll be posting my experiences of it, along with character impressions of Tidus and Firion, later today. So I hope you’re enjoying this topic so far, and I’ll see you again later. Thanks for barely paying attention.
« Last Edit: 14 September, 2009, 06:12:43 pm by Mayuri Kurotsuchi » Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

Mood: ...

Back as soon as I CAN SEE IT, CAN'T SEE 3D!

« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:20:24 am »

I plan on buying the game... but I don't own a PSP. Is it worth the investisment?
Note: Huge FFFan since SNES era
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:22:41 am »

Well, it's not like Dissidia is the only Final Fantasy game for PSP. There's also Crisis Core, the remakes of FFI & FFII, FF Tactics: War of the Lions, and the upcoming FF Agito XIII. Plus you can now get FFVII as a downloadable title from the PSN shop. Not sure if there are any others available on there, though...

Ultimately, you should do some research and see what other games are on PSP that might interest you. For example, two games I'm looking forward to are LittleBigPlanet and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.

I never think a console is worth getting for only one game, but Dissidia is very good, IMO. You just need other reasons to get one.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:27:20 am »

I don't like VII in general, FFI and II I am replaying on GBA right now, I have FFTactics original too (damn summoners!). But yes, Kingdom hearts I am waiting for it. I just hope it's going to be released over there.
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:37:36 am »

*shrugs* Well, I don't know what games are going to interest you. All I can say is that you should look around for more games that will interest you. You've already got two (Dissidia & BBS), so it shouldn't be too hard. What are your thoughts on Agito XIII?

But yes, Kingdom hearts I am waiting for it. I just hope it's going to be released over there.

It most likely will. 358/2 Days has gotten a western release, hasn't it? The only one I think hasn't been released in the west is Coded, and that just because mobile gaming is only really big in Japan.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:37:49 am »

Quite an interesting read. Keep it up.
Report Spam   Logged

NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:42:14 am »

Oh, there are some Tales Id'like to play, the Wild arms serie, and so on... But I can't afford multiples games right now.
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:47:02 am »

Quite an interesting read. Keep it up.

Thanks. Is the writing style okay?

Oh, there are some Tales Id'like to play, the Wild arms serie, and so on... But I can't afford multiples games right now.

Well that's all you really need to know right now. I'm not saying get all the games you want at once, it's just good to have a decent number of games you're interested in before actually getting the console they're on. And it sounds to me like there are quite a few PSP games you want to get.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:49:07 am »

Yes, but I need to know if this game is good on the long run, as I fear a fighting game become boring after a while. Seeing your comment, I guess it's good enough, but I wanted to ask anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:49:57 am »

Yeah, I like the writing style.
Report Spam   Logged

NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:51:43 am »

Also, by the way.
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #12 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:57:22 am »

Yes, but I need to know if this game is good on the long run, as I fear a fighting game become boring after a while. Seeing your comment, I guess it's good enough, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Ah, I'm not really the best person to ask since I've only had the game for just over a week. Still, it looks like the story mode goes for a long time, and then there's various other game modes I havent really tried out that offer different challenges, like Arcade Mode and Duel Colosseum.

Plus, Dissidia isn't really just a fighting game. It's like a cross between a fighting game and an RPG.

Also, by the way.

Thanks, both of you.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2009, 11:58:28 am »

Thanks for everything, and good luck for your blog!
Report Spam   Logged
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2009, 12:00:40 pm »

No problem, and as I said, keep it up.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 71   Go Up
  Print