Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 04:04:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)  (Read 12097 times)
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #105 on: 05 October, 2009, 01:20:06 pm »

I already know about Distant Glory and Inward Chaos. And actually, from what I've heard, Exdeath is a great character to use against the level 110 Chaos.

And doesn't Terra only have Blizzard Combo as a close combat attack?
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #106 on: 05 October, 2009, 06:03:58 pm »

New entry: Monday 5th October

Character Impressions 8 – Ultimecia and Kuja
Ultimecia
Ultimecia was rather like The Emperor, in that it took a while for me to get used to her. You have to constantly keep some distance between you and your opponent because all of her attacks are mid to long range, but this is made a bit difficult by the fact that she’s one of the slowest characters in the game. I’d say only Exdeath has a slower walking speed. It also took me a little while to grasp the controls of her three Brave attacks (yes, she only has three, but she can eventually use all three both on the ground and in the air) as each one has a different effect depending on whether or not you hold down the O button. Take Knight’s Axe, for example. If you just press O once, Ultimecia will fire off three axe-shaped projectiles that slightly home in on the enemy that will often initiate a Chase Sequence, but if you hold down the button before releasing it, she will instead fire a single larger, slower axe that can’t be reflected. The second option is easier to dodge, however. Another thing about her attacks is that she can move while she’s casting them, making it a little easier to both hit the opponent and avoid them.
Her HP attacks were okay. Shockwave Pulsar can be charged for greater distances, but I found it’s best used at close range to catch the opponent off guard. Great Attractor is harder to hit with, as you need to hold down the Square button for a few seconds for it to have any effect at all. And even when you do fire a decent shot, it’s pretty easy for the opponent to dodge. Your best bet is to charge the attack and wait until they’ve just finished a dodge before you release the button, as the actual projectile itself is pretty fast-moving. On the subject of HP attacks, what I normally tend to do is wait until I’ve built up my BP a bit, usually Breaking the opponent at least once before I go for an HP attack, but with Ultimecia I often found it best to fire off more, weaker HP attacks then finish with an EX Burst once I’ve built up my EX Gauge. I also seemed to get more EXP for it, overall.
Like Sephiroth and Golbez before her, Ultimecia has an EX Mode-exclusive attack: Time Crush. I only remember using it once so I can’t remember how long it took to cast, but instead of attacking the opponent’s BP, like Heartless Angel and Black Fang did, it freezes your opponent for a period of time, presumably to make it easier to hit with an HP attack. I can’t remember how long it lasted, though, since I went straight into an EX Burst after the HP attack I used. Ultimecia’s EX Burst is basically like a harder version of Squall’s, except that you press the O button instead of the R button. It’s harder because there are more hits and they come faster than Squall’s did. I managed to get a Perfect on it about half the time, but I got a bit better the longer I was using her.

Kuja
Once again, Kuja was a character that took some getting used to. The main gimmicks of his fighting style are that he can freely move around while using any of his Brave attacks (unlike Ultimecia who moves a little slower when attacking), and that his Brave attacks change in effect and power depending on your distance from the enemy. Kuja is also the only character to be able to glide without being in EX Mode, which comes in handy on stages without much ground, and when it comes to gathering the EX Force left over from his attacks. I’m not sure I was able to utilise his Brave attacks properly, as the combos following the original attack seemed to be pretty random, but I did alright overall. I didn’t find his aerial attacks as useful as his ground attacks, as they seemed to be harder to hit with, with one being a slow-mover and easily blocked, and another had to be used pretty much at point-blank range. Of course, like Ultimecia, all of Kuja’s attacks, Brave or HP, can eventually be used on the ground or in the air, it’s just that the various attacks become available for ground or aerial slots at different times. Attacks that are available for ground slots from the start become available for aerial slots at later levels, and vice-versa. Had the game been built differently, I’d probably be saying his aerial attacks were better than his ground ones.
As for his HP attacks, they could’ve been better. The only ground attack I was able to use, Seraphic Star, which later became available to use in the air, would only hit at long distance and was pretty easily dodged. So often I’d find myself firing the attack, the enemy would dodge towards me and attack while I was recovering. And when it became available to use in the air, it just became harder to hit with. The other HP attack, Flare Star, which was only available in the air and will continue to be until I reach level 24, was more useful. The only real disadvantage was that it required me to get close to my opponent, so it was best used just after dashing towards them. Once I unlock it as a ground attack, I could probably use it as a counterattack following a successful block.
I didn’t find his EX Mode bonuses very useful. One is that he can maintain his altitude during a glide for longer than usual, and the other is that he apparently automatically casts Holy and Flare when he performs certain actions. Kuja is constantly surrounded by five orbs that seem to be what he attacks with, and in EX Mode, according to my game guide, these orbs automatically cast Holy and Flare whenever Kuja is “jumping, falling, touching down, or gliding”. However, I never noticed any of this. His EX Burst, like so many other villain characters, is carried out in the same basic way as his respective hero, in this case Zidane. You basically just have to hammer the O button to fill up sections on a gauge. So basically it’s also the same as Cloud’s and Sephiroth’s, really. It’s just that their bars don’t have sections on them. It’s a fairly cool attack, though, when you watch it without having to concentrate on the gauge, as Kuja “conducts” the attack like a piece of music. A major plus of his EX Mode, however, is that thanks to the fur, it’s much less revealing than his normal outfit. It’s also red in colour, and overall seems to make him look a bit less… fruity. This is in contrast to Zidane’s EX Mode, as his is more revealing than his normal outfit and is bright pink in colour, as documented in an earlier entry in this blog. Oh, and a major pro for playing as Kuja is that you see him from the back for most of the time, so his cape covers up his evil, evil man-thong… *shudder*

Next time: A Tree that covets the Void, and a Cloud that comes from it!
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

Mood: ...

Back as soon as I CAN SEE IT, CAN'T SEE 3D!

« Reply #107 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:22:15 am »

For Terra, you can uses Blizzard too, if you know what you are doing (actually better, as it is fast enough to counter some moves from a distance after a dodge, avoiding the repelled animation in case of guarding opponent). But of course, She is way better at keeping the enemy at bay than anyone, as rushing toward her mean exposing to some tornado ass kicking! And of course, Meltdown.

As for Ultimecia's time compression, the duration is "long enough", enough say!
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #108 on: 06 October, 2009, 02:40:34 am »

Actually, Terra's best attack period is Meteor, and Holy Combo is only just behind it.
Report Spam   Logged

NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #109 on: 06 October, 2009, 02:52:25 am »

Reflected meteors happen way too often to my opinion at high levels. Also, counter based character WILL **** you (Firion, I hate you)
Report Spam   Logged
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #110 on: 06 October, 2009, 06:12:31 pm »

Have you softened up to Kuja a little then?
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #111 on: 06 October, 2009, 06:35:48 pm »

Have you softened up to Kuja a little then?

Playing as him? Yes. As a character? No. I'll admit that I'm a little biased though. I've heard so many people going on about him being "teh best FF vilain eavar!!" and FFIX being "teh best FF evare!" that I don't think I'm ever really going to like him. And his design really doesn't help his case.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #112 on: 06 October, 2009, 06:41:04 pm »

He does wear almost no clothing... except a thong.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #113 on: 06 October, 2009, 06:56:13 pm »

Yeah.

I think the fanboy prejudice is also partly why I don't like Terra. Plus in this game I find her battle quotes really annoying...
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #114 on: 06 October, 2009, 11:08:12 pm »

Yeah.

I think the fanboy prejudice is also partly why I don't like Terra. Plus in this game I find her battle quotes really annoying...
I have to agree on that part...

And I start to like Sephy as a character, while I hate the man as much as you dislike Kuja.
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #115 on: 07 October, 2009, 07:23:13 am »

Yeah.

I have to agree on that part...

And I start to like Sephy as a character, while I hate the man as much as you dislike Kuja.

So... does that mean you dislike the character, but you enjoy playing as him?
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #116 on: 07 October, 2009, 10:38:22 am »

Err, yes... I suppose I wasn't as clear as I expected.
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #117 on: 07 October, 2009, 10:47:41 am »

Right.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #118 on: 08 October, 2009, 07:34:09 pm »

Reflected meteors happen way too often to my opinion at high levels. Also, counter based character WILL **** you (Firion, I hate you)
I think it's called staying away and hitting him in the lag from his moves. Besides, Meteor rapes dodge, and it combos into Holy Combo.
Report Spam   Logged

NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #119 on: 08 October, 2009, 10:13:37 pm »

I think it's called staying away and hitting him in the lag from his moves. Besides, Meteor rapes dodge, and it combos into Holy Combo.
If I hit in my opponent's lagging time, then I am either in the air (and countering with an ice block for more damage) or too close (short ranged opponent). I never got it to work past level 80 without a wall between them and me as they do dash / block / dodge like a Pampa. This combo works, but you just cannot use it reliabily in the end game.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: