Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 08:10:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)  (Read 11971 times)
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #210 on: 31 October, 2009, 06:26:32 pm »

He was? Why did they change it? I mean, I don't mind Vaan nor Penelo, but what would the problem be with having them as party members, not main characters?
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #211 on: 31 October, 2009, 06:35:35 pm »

I think it was because they didn't think he'd appeal much as a protagonist. Stupid reason I know, but...
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #212 on: 31 October, 2009, 06:38:09 pm »

I think it was because they didn't think he'd appeal much as a protagonist. Stupid reason I know, but...
Yeah, they didn't want to try to use an older guy as a protagonist, after the last game they tried that in (Vagrant Story) failed. Also, Vaan is more of a viewpoint character than a main character, and coul actually be called more of an antagonist than a protagonist, as he is instrumental in the character development of Baltheir, Ashe, and Basch.

Also, GabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranthGabranth.

Aaaaaand he suuuuuuuucks.
« Last Edit: 31 October, 2009, 06:40:54 pm by Haine and Badou » Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #213 on: 31 October, 2009, 06:40:57 pm »

Yeah, they didn't want to try to use an older guy as a protagonist, after the last game they tried that in (Vagrant Story) failed. Also, Vaan is more of a viewpoint character than a main character, and coul actually be called more of an antagonist than a protagonist, as he is instrumental in the character development of Baltheir, Ashe, and Basch.

Isn't an antagonist a villain?
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #214 on: 31 October, 2009, 06:48:51 pm »

Yeah, that's kind of a silly thing to do, changing the focus to another character, because the original main character is older... This is of course only speaking as a gamer, but as long as a main character is well developed, I don't really mind how old they are. I could play an old geezer if he was well developed. It would actually be awesome to go around and kick ass as a really old man.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #215 on: 02 November, 2009, 11:55:09 pm »

Not necessarily.
Report Spam   Logged

NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

Mood: ...

Back as soon as I CAN SEE IT, CAN'T SEE 3D!

« Reply #216 on: 03 November, 2009, 01:29:37 am »

Not necessarily.
Kain, FF4
Magus, Chrono trigger
Jowy, Suikoden 2
... these are example where it doesn't work.
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #217 on: 03 November, 2009, 10:26:41 am »

Not necessarily.
Kain, FF4
Magus, Chrono trigger
Jowy, Suikoden 2

I don't know who the other two are, but Kain isn't a great example. He's only an enemy for part of the game. Vaan is in your party for the whole of FFXII, isn't he? And it's not like he contributes in any way to the villain's plans. I just don't see how he could be counted as an antagonist, unlike, say, Cid or Ba'Gamnan.

Hell, as far as I can see, a Flan is a bigger antagonist than Vaan.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #218 on: 03 November, 2009, 10:29:19 am »

Not necessarily.
Kain, FF4
Magus, Chrono trigger
Jowy, Suikoden 2

I don't know who the other two are, but Kain isn't a great example. He's only an enemy for part of the game. Vaan is in your party for the whole of FFXII, isn't he? And it's not like he contributes in any way to the villain's plans. I just don't see how he could be counted as an antagonist, unlike, say, Cid or Ba'Gamnan.

Hell, as far as I can see, a Flan is a bigger antagonist than Vaan.
That's because you've got your definitions mixed up. Villain/Hero and Pro/Antagonist are two seperate things, though they are usually associated with each other.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #219 on: 03 November, 2009, 10:31:18 am »

Alright then, what does antagonist actually mean?
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #220 on: 03 November, 2009, 11:10:57 am »

Alright then, what does antagonist actually mean?
A character who is either opposed to the protagonist in both goals and means, or a character who causes the protagonist to change.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #221 on: 03 November, 2009, 11:42:39 am »

And how does Vaan cause any of the characters to change?

I haven't played FFXII, so...
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #222 on: 15 November, 2009, 08:55:54 am »

New entry: Sunday 15th November (Part 1)
Right, I'm about to attempt the first Shade Impulse chapter with the first of my heroes so I figured it would be best to tell you my plans of how I'm going to lay out my main entries from now on.

As I've stated before, I play through characters' story modes in a certain order corresponding to the difficulty level of their original Destiny Odyssey stories. So it will go Cloud (*), Cecil (*), Tidus (**), Firion (**), Squall (***), Zidane (***), Bartz (****), Onion Knight (****), Terra (*****) and finally Warrior of Light (*****). This order applies to levelling up the villains as well. Now, all upcoming story mode chapters will be the same for all characters, so I'm only going to go in-depth with the levels themselves in my write-up of Cloud's runthrough. For all other characters I will only write about noteable fights, like particularly difficult or interesting/fun ones. Once I clear Shade Impulse and unlock Distant Glory, this will apply to the villains as well since they can attempt those chapters along with the heroes.

Okay, I think that's everything. I'll hopefully be posting my first Shade Impulse entry later today.
« Last Edit: 15 November, 2009, 09:05:32 am by Mayuri Kurotsuchi » Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

Mood: ...

Back as soon as I CAN SEE IT, CAN'T SEE 3D!

« Reply #223 on: 15 November, 2009, 08:59:55 am »

Good luck! Even if this is not the worst part.
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #224 on: 15 November, 2009, 09:02:53 am »

Yeah, I'm really not looking forward to Inward Chaos. And I don't plan on taking on any of the more difficult Duel Colosseum courses any time soon.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: