Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 03:02:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gar's Gaming Blog (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)  (Read 12080 times)
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #345 on: 01 March, 2010, 07:25:11 am »

Don't get me wrong, Terra and Kefka are by no means bad characters (I don't believe in tiers, never have, never will), they're just more hard work for me than the others. Still, it probably doesn't help that CPUs are often rather broken when it comes to dodging. And most of the Bartz's I fought as Terra tended to spam Holy, which of course is more accurate than when I use it... ¬_¬
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #346 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:06:51 am »

New Entry: Friday 5th March

Told you it wouldn’t be such a long break as the last time.

Shade Impulse 3 – While Time Grows Short (Cloud Playthrough)
Well, it’s certainly nice to have a proper mix of stages again. I’ve only been using Kefka’s tower and upwards for ages, and some of them *coughUltimecia’sCastlecough* *coughPlanet’sCorecough* wear particularly thin after a while.
Anyway, I smashed through Level 1 in record time, probably due to a mixture of Cloud’s raw attack power and me overlevelling again. Somewhat bizarrely, Cloud’s Base BP was over 3000 against two of the earlier foes. No idea what caused that…
Level 2 passed in much the same way. Ultimecia was as easy an opponent as ever in her boss fight. Two notable things happened, however. In a battle against a Kefka copy, I managed to inflict Break on him just before his Tiamat summon (which triples the fighter’s BP 20 seconds after activation) kicked in, rendering it completely useless, and I also managed to get the correct amount of DP by the end of the level to win this chapter’s summonstone without even trying. Convenient, huh? The space between Level 2 and Level 3 was occupied by a cutscene between Chaos and Garland, showcasing more of Chaos’ awesome voice-acting (courtesy of Keith David).
Level 3 went rather less smoothly than the previous two. Of particular note was a very annoying Emperor copy, but I’ll get to him in a moment. The level itself consisted of a thin pathway to the Stigma of Chaos with six alcoves containing a battle piece each (one is empty until you get a certain star rating for this chapter). All but one of these five battle pieces provided a chance to win 2 DP. Sounds easy, right? Not for me it wasn’t. Three of them had to be beaten within a certain time limit, which required me to either use an EX Mode or just be spot-on with every single attack. One enemy in particular, a Sephiroth copy, was rather broken at blocking, so that was annoying. The other two fights had to be won without taking any damage, Brave or HP. The first one against a Squall copy wasn’t too bad, but the second battle was against the Emperor copy I mentioned earlier. This guy kept dodging, running away, and spamming his Dynamite and Flare attacks. And he would often let loose a Flare just as I was dashing towards him, so I’d run straight into it. I completely forgot about the DP chance until after the battle, by which time of course it was too late. So, I retried battles about ten times overall, lost two DP chances (and therefore was declined 4 extra DP), lost more than half my HP, and wasted moves going after chests and summonstones, resulting in my lowest end of level score thus far: 15. In summary, Level 3 went pretty badly. Still, I got to see another part of the Chaos/Garland conversation afterwards.
Level 4 was one of those ones filled with “?” spaces, so I had to keep consulting my guide when choosing a route. The first DP chance battle, against a Kefka copy, was pretty brutal. I had only 20 seconds to beat him in, and the guy kept dodging brokenly. Not wanting to have to retry several times, I gave up and fought him normally. Not that that helped matters much. I had already lost over 2000 HP, and I had only just finished my second fight of the level. To make matters worse, I was then forced into a battle with the Garland copy right next to me on the level board, who had to be beaten in 10 seconds for the DP bonus. I had already wasted my EX mode on the Kefka copy, and this guy was also stupidly good at dodging and blocking. I’m just glad he only used Brave attacks before I was able to kill him… The rest of the level went a little more smoothly, apart from a Blasting Zone-spamming Squall copy and an Ultimecia copy that had a Magus Sisters summon (which halves the opposing fighter’s BP when used) that basically made beating her in 20 seconds impossible. Finally, though, it was time for the boss battle. I finally got to see the boss cutscenes exclusive to Cloud’s playthrough, as it was time to face Sephiroth. The cutscenes are pretty cool if you’re a fan of Cloud & Sephiroth, but the battle itself was a bit of an anticlimax. A curbstomp due to my overlevelling. Oh well…
Level 5 had a very odd layout. The only pieces on the board were myself on one side, the final boss on the other side, and a single treasure chest in the middle. When I opened the chest, however, I was surrounded by four enemy pieces and forced into chained battles with two of them right from the off. Thankfully none of them had to be beaten within a certain time to get their DP chances, I just couldn’t take any damage. Much more doable. Or so I thought… I had to retry repeatedly against the first enemy I fought (an Onion Knight copy) and eventually started the whole thing over from scratch. Twice. It didn’t help matters that the fight was on Ultimecia’s Castle, which has very few decent places for Cloud to fight in at the best of times. But the Omega stage has the added nastiness of sometimes turning the gears in the stage into a hazard from time to time, so I had to be extra careful.
The next fight wasn’t much fun either. I had to fight an Emperor copy on Kefka’s Tower. Now, the stage itself wasn’t as much of a problem as I thought it was going to be. It was more the fact that this enemy was (AGAIN!!) really good at dodging and blocking and would, once a fight, reduce my BP to 0 with his Shiva summon. I retried quite a lot of times, but I wasn’t willing to do the Onion Knight fight all over again, so I didn’t restart the level. Instead I could look forward to another poor end of level score. The other two fights weren’t great either. In fact, I’m just going to summarise and say that the four battles as a whole were a horrible experience. And I get to do it nine more times! Awesome!
Anyway, defeating those four opponents spawned two more enemies further along the board, guarding a new chest. And, surprise, surprise, they were high level opponents that required me to either take no HP damage, or no damage whatsoever. Ooh, the fun, fun times… After retrying against a completely broken Garland copy for the 4,000th time, I finally gave up on DP chances, feeling like a complete loser in the process I might add. Of course then I had to retry even more times because he completely owned me time after time. Literally none of my attacks would work, no matter how quickly I moved after dodging one of his own moves. Eventually I managed to get in a lucky shot with Omnislash V.5, so at least a little of my pride was restored. Then, finally, came the final boss battle against the real Garland, which went much more smoothly.
And so, with a pretty cool speech from Garland, Chapter 3 ends. It was a slice of hell, and I still have to endure nine more pieces…
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

Mood: ...

Back as soon as I CAN SEE IT, CAN'T SEE 3D!

« Reply #347 on: 05 March, 2010, 12:06:48 pm »

If you find them hard to hit, then I suppose it will be useful later... *Gives a straightjacket*
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #348 on: 05 March, 2010, 12:15:36 pm »

If you find them hard to hit, then I suppose it will be useful later... *Gives a straightjacket*

Maybe I'll have a slightly easier time with the others. Cloud's moves have a noticeable wind-up, after all.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #349 on: 05 March, 2010, 12:26:38 pm »

Believe me, 10 minutes long matches already happened for me at higher level.

Oh about this:
Somewhat bizarrely, Cloud’s Base BP was over 3000 against two of the earlier foes. No idea what caused that…
You have BP bonus when of a higher level than your opponent. You can see their when they are stronger than you, below the base equipment (not accessories).
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #350 on: 05 March, 2010, 12:31:58 pm »

Believe me, 10 minutes long matches already happened for me at higher level.

Oh about this:
Somewhat bizarrely, Cloud’s Base BP was over 3000 against two of the earlier foes. No idea what caused that…
You have BP bonus when of a higher level than your opponent. You can see their when they are stronger than you, below the base equipment (not accessories).

Oh, thanks. I figured it might be something like that.

I don't think I'm going to bother with DP chances in the other playthroughs. As I said, I already got the summonstone for the chapter, so there's not a whole lot of point...
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #351 on: 05 March, 2010, 05:53:13 pm »

It seems like the enemies are starting to rely on the good old dodging skills.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #352 on: 05 March, 2010, 05:55:07 pm »

It seems like the enemies are starting to rely on the good old dodging skills.

Yeah, seems that way.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #353 on: 09 March, 2010, 07:08:05 pm »

New Entry: Tuesday 9th March

The following playthrough was actually done on Monday, I just decided to post it by itself as it’s pretty long.

Shade Impulse 3 – Cecil Playthrough
Cecil’s playthrough wasn’t that much better than Cloud’s. He might be able to deploy his attacks quicker, but he lacks Cloud’s raw strength. Another annoying factor was the fact that Cecil always starts fights in his Dark Knight class. I find it a lot easier to inflict damage quickly in his Paladin class, which meant I had to waste a few seconds at the beginning of matches with time-dependant DP chances switching to that form. Oh, and the CPUs didn’t seem to have much more trouble constantly dodging Cecil’s attacks than they did with Cloud’s. Still, I didn’t expect some miraculous solution just by changing characters…
The Onion Knight copy on Level 5 that I mentioned in Cloud’s playthrough was much more bearable when I wasn’t going for the DP chance. The Terra fight on the same level (one of the two “other battles” I mentioned but didn’t go into much detail with), on the other hand, was much worse than in Cloud’s playthrough. She was seriously one broken enemy. She avoided my attacks effortlessly, and was capable of Breaking me with just one or two attacks. Seriously, what the hell is up with these CPUs being able to get “first strikes” and “sneak attacks”? I haven’t noticed anything like that on their accessory lists… So anyway, even without going for the DP chance (avoid taking HP damage), I had to retry a lot of times. My HP was so low by the end of the fight that the Exdeath copy that followed could’ve OHKO’d me right away if he wanted to. Fortunately for me, however, he instead chose to use his Marilith summon right after my first successfully HP attack to try and stack the odds even more in his favour. Now, the Marilith summon freezes the opponent’s BP for a short time after a 20 second countdown. So, while this means that I wouldn’t be able to gain any more BP until the summon wore off, it also meant my BP wouldn’t decrease until the summon wore off either, even if I used an HP attack. This essentially meant that I could potentially launch HP attack after HP attack without having to wait for my BP to regenerate between them. After that it was just a matter of dodging the copy’s Delta Attack HP moves while staying close enough to hit with Paladin Force while he was recovering. I love it when CPU summons backfire…
I struggled a bit with the Garland copy again, but this time it wasn’t so bad. Sure he clobbered a couple of times, and was capable of breaking me with one or two strikes (damn “first strikes” and “sneak attacks” again…), but this time I managed to find an opening to exploit. I got close enough for him to use Earthquake (his BP was high enough for him to start focusing on HP attacks), dodged over his head where the attack couldn’t reach me, then, depending on Cecil’s class at the time, either use the Dark Knight’s Saint’s Fall Brave attack to start a chase sequence, or use the Paladin’s Paladin Force to hit with a direct HP attack. It didn’t automatically make the match easy for me, but it’s a tactic I’ll have to bear in mind in future playthroughs.
So, what else happened… Well, I manage to get a DP chance on Level 3 against a Golbez copy with 0.5 seconds to spare. Oh, and there was a pretty cool/funny moment against a Zidane copy on Level 4. I used Cecil’s Shadow Lance attack on him (Cecil throws his spear at the enemy and damages them the longer it has contact. Basically the closer you are when using it, the more damage it does), and he used his Cactuar summon on me halfway through the attack, reducing my BP by 1000. Unfortunately, by that time, I’d already done enough damage with the attack to reduce his BP to double digits, and the remaining Shadow Lance damage after the summon was enough to inflict Break on him, rendering his actions totally useless. Oh yeah, and because of my low HP due to all the nasty enemies on Level 5, I managed to break my record for lowest ever end-of-level score. I got nine points. Nine.

Two down, eight to go…
« Last Edit: 09 March, 2010, 07:13:30 pm by Mayuri Kurotsuchi » Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #354 on: 09 March, 2010, 07:38:16 pm »

Minor Update:
Okay, nevermind the stuff about "first strikes" and "sneak attacks". I just researched them and it turns out they're abilities, not accessory effects. I keep forgetting about the non-attack abilities...
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #355 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:10:02 pm »

You're slowly approaching the 25% completion mark, good job!
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #356 on: 10 March, 2010, 06:43:00 am »

Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« Reply #357 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:48:00 am »

Nine is a very low number...
Report Spam   Logged

NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

« Reply #358 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:55:22 am »

I already managed a negative score, so you shouldn't feel bad about this...
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #359 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:14:58 pm »

I already managed a negative score, so you shouldn't feel bad about this...

I didn't realise that was possible...
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: