Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 07:05:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

~The Splendid Adventures of Rondam and Flody~

Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 [262] 263   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~The Splendid Adventures of Rondam and Flody~  (Read 27077 times)
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #3915 on: 10 March, 2020, 03:27:38 pm »

I am finished now.

Alucard's arc felt the weakest to me given how transparent the siblings were. Their heel turn was clear in like the second scene, and yet their actual justification for turning didn't feel earned. As a result, I like where Alucard ended up but the process of him getting there suffered.

The reveal for the Judge came kinda late? Seems weird for that information to get to Trevor and Sypha after everything else is said and done, but as a killing blow for their (specifically Sypha's) idealism, I guess it works.

A lot of stage setting for season 4 here. I wonder if they will try to wrap up with that or if Netflix wants to keep this going and going.

Feel like I probably missed a ton of references. What was the music from the last episode? That had to have been from the games, right?
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #3916 on: 10 March, 2020, 05:20:05 pm »

agreed with your points especially the first one, the idea of the story (Alucard dealing with his isolation and being betrayed) is good but the way it got there could have been better

The biggest references where the fact that a lot of the plot is taken from an incidental area in Curse of Darkness (the Infinite Corridor, St. Germain is a boss/NPC in that as well) and lots of enemy shout outs. When Isaac fights the magician all the people turn into the big Legion ball which is one of the most famous bosses in the series and when the gate to hell opens there's a few SotN enemy designs that pop out. I don't immediately recall the music like Bloody Tears last season so I don't know if it actually was anything specific. I'd have to relisten.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #3917 on: 19 March, 2020, 11:05:37 am »

reporting in that i have watched another anime film

Watched Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade as part of a "watch a movie a week with each week a specific theme" thing I am trying to do. It wasn't what I was expecting but it ended up being very good and sad.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #3918 on: 22 March, 2020, 01:05:07 am »

I saw that a few years ago. Neat movie.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #3919 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:05:34 pm »

Yeah I dug it. Still thinking about it after a few days.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #3920 on: 12 April, 2020, 01:28:34 pm »

I watched Verotika, the Danzig directed horror anthology film, last night. It is possible you have heard about it and how bad it is. Anything you have heard does not do it justice. It is unprecedentedly amateurish and bad. Truly, remarkably inept. The first two segments are funny bad but the  last one feels like an eternity. Its insane.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #3921 on: 05 May, 2020, 04:48:08 pm »

I am glad to announce that I am back on my bullshit.

Thanks to the Great Gundam Project, I have (after a 2-year pause) finished watching Mobile Suit Gundam (1979), and man, I stopped literally right before all the psychic powers started happening. What a nonce am I.

Char is just the most, all the time, isn't he? That coup de grace on Kycilia was fantastic.

Also after watching the stuff with Amuro and Lalah, it's clear that nothing in anime has ever been new, especially Evangelion.

So now having been an upstanding anime citizen for some time, I am once again venturing into the depths of the internet so I can watch Zeta Gundam. The podcast is great because it is the discussion I have long been missing out on. They just started on Gundam Wing, which is how I found (or was reminded of) this, but I've gone back and am starting from the beginning. It's my first attempt to catch up on a podcast that has been running for years, so we'll see how far I get.

Zeta seems cool so far. The 80s sure did happen. Kamille hates cops, so that's cool, and also it's clear that the A-Laws from 00 were aping the Titans. (Another reference, I think, that I wouldn't have gotten is that the Innovators mothership looks a lot like A Baoa Qu from 0079. Also also Gundam just loves giant death lasers.)

What fun, what fun. Back to watching all the special boys in their giant death robots.
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #3922 on: 06 May, 2020, 10:57:45 pm »

So Zeta is rad, and it's great seeing the 0079 characters slowly trickle into the show, but the fact that it doubles down on the whole "the beatings will continue until morale improves" military trope is such an unfortunate effect of this era.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #3923 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:48:28 pm »

God bless Lieutenant Jerrid. No man has ever sucked so gloriously.

also I've gone from 0 to 100 really fast on this whole anime thing

I'm also rewatching Gundam Wing now for the fourth time, and because it's also being talked about on GGP, I just watched the first episode of Space Runaway Ideon, which seems to be Tomino's version of Voltron Vehicle Force. My understanding is this is what he did after MSG 0079 got cancelled, so we'll see how much it is the exact same show made out of spite.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #3924 on: 16 May, 2020, 03:44:46 pm »

Zeta Gundam has gotten frustratingly stupid in the leadup to the ending. They did the Lalah-Amuro thing again with Kamille and Four, and that was poignant even though, like Lalah, Four wasn't really that much of a character to have formed a bond with Kamille. But with Amuro and Char there watching, it worked. But now they are basically... doing the same thing?? with Rosamia, who is just another Four. She shows up claiming to be Kamille's sister, which is obviously not true. He's like "I don't have a sister, this is weird," and then by three episodes later after it has been revealed that she has been brainwashed, he's like "no stop shooting, that's my sister." Like, what? Fine, you can have a thing for brainwashed war girls and take pity on them, but don't then just repeat the lies that they've been told back to everyone else.

also the titans have now staged two poison gas attacks in back to back episodes and both times the narrator has come in at the end to say "but this was a diversion so they could move the super weapon into position," and just come the heck on, we got it the first time
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #3925 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:07:36 pm »

Man, what an uneven show. I think ZZ Gundam starts in a "5 minutes later" scenario, too, so the ending of Zeta feels like the creators just went "ok, time for a roster refresh."

The show was at its best when Amuro and Char were both around, and that was really not too common. Really the last several episodes felt like there wasn't that much tying them together. It was just running down a list of people, ships, and mobile suits that were on the chopping block.

I feel like I am not going to think much about Kamille Bidan the more distance I have from this show. Ah well.

I'm going to re-watch Avatar now that it's on Netflix, so I might not get to ZZ right away. Will still continue watching Wing week-to-week with the podcast, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #3926 on: 20 May, 2020, 11:44:26 pm »

oops i've watched 28 episodes of Avatar since Sunday night

the three-episode stretch of The Blind Bandit > Zuko Alone > The Chase is so damn good
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #3927 on: 08 October, 2020, 08:46:44 am »

I just watched the first episode of Space Runaway Ideon, which seems to be Tomino's version of Voltron Vehicle Force. My understanding is this is what he did after MSG 0079 got cancelled, so we'll see how much it is the exact same show made out of spite.
This show ended up being pretty incredible. It's similar to Gundam in that it's got the child soldier stuff going on throughout (and goes even further with it), but otherwise it's like this Ur-anime that everything else feels like it draws from. Or in the case of Anno, steals directly and deliberately from. Like, End of Eva is just a worse version of The Ideon: Be Invoked movie.

I've kept up with Wing, and that show has such a rough stretch on the leadup to the end. I still think the end itself, like the last 3 or 4 episodes, is ok, but now that I know that they just pivot to a Char's Counterattack redux despite the show not being about what that movie is about, the cracks are all there.

I did watch ZZ Gundam. It's uneven like Zeta, but it's got some pretty high highs. And then after that I stalled out trying to watch the various SD Gundam episodes. I need to finish those at some point so I can move on to 0083 and Victory Gundam and such.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #3928 on: 14 October, 2020, 11:50:11 pm »

Update: I decided to just skip the rest of the SD Gundam stuff and move on to the infinitely better War in the Pocket and the weird but fun Gundam F91. It's cool when Gundam stuff has a budget. Lots of chunky mech fights. The good stuff.

but also war is bad, wow cool robot
Report Spam   Logged

TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Happy

« Reply #3929 on: 03 November, 2020, 03:43:54 pm »

0080 KICKS THE SHIT OUT OF EVERY OTHER GUNDAM
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 [262] 263   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: