Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 08:58:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Good Neighbor MM

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Neighbor MM  (Read 14259 times)
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #510 on: 01 March, 2014, 02:28:43 pm »

I can't play the game without keeping everyone near the same level. It drives me berserk.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #511 on: 01 March, 2014, 04:58:12 pm »

Man, It's been so long ago when we did that co-op run. It was back when I had to borrow my cousin's ps2 to play it so I wanna say 2006 or 2005? Or somewhere in there. I actually got a taste of Up Your Arsenal but I never beat it. I've always been eyeing that HD collection but I never got around to buying it.

That was one of the first times I had ever encountered a legendary like that, and I panicked.  Blah.
I am the same way with my pokemon, but I ALWAYS have a fighting type with me. If one Pokemon got behind, it was getting benched. If it performed poorly, I'd replace it.
Report Spam   Logged
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #512 on: 01 March, 2014, 08:42:32 pm »

X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

I was always a big fan of the X-Men so a game like this was right up my alley.  I did play the first X-Men Legends game, but I feel that it paled in comparison to this one.  This one added a lot more content as far as characters, powers, equipment, depth and locations go, so I feel that this is the superior game.  The X-Men Legends games are like RPG beat-em ups where you take four mutant heroes, (or in this game, villains too), and basically beat the crap out of everything.  You level up, find equipment, distribute your skill points into the MANY abilities you acquire throughout the game, and beat the crap out of more stuff.  The fun here lies in the customization and the joy you will find in making the perfect hero with the most powerful abilities.  My favorite character to play as was Iceman, and I loved being a defensive type with Ice Armor that would provoke enemies only for someone like an aggressive Wolverine or Nightcrawler to take them out.  The combat doesn't change much throughout the game, but the game is the perfect length where if you spent any MORE time on it the combat would be stale and you'd be ready to end it. 

Despite the fun of the combat, the game does suffer from a few things.  It's rather ugly, the framerate can get quite bad (on consoles anyway), and your A.I. partners can be pretty worthless at times and just sit there.  The A.I. also cheats because it feels like they can use infinite special moves and lose no EP (energy points), while you're stuck chugging EP power-ups because your abilities drain your reserves like crazy.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the A.I. hardly ever does any melee attacks and against enemies that are resistant to Mutant powers, this can prove quite fatal especially on higher difficulties.  Other than that though, the game is very good.  The voice-acting is superb and the variety of characters is pretty good for an X-Men game (just avoid Iron Man, he's broken).  The bosses are nice and offer a welcome challenge, the stages don't drag out for too long, and there are a lot of other neat things within the game to try out such as the trivia game for more experience and trying to unlock all of the costumes.  Game is great.  X-Men Legends: Rise of Apocalypse rises to #42 on the list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings

This game had me at the opening cutscene.  I fell in love with this game after ChristopherOdd played the first one and I had to try it out for myself.  I was NEVER a big PC gamer, but I could not resist when it came to the Witcher games.  I was in for a giant surprise.  The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings basically takes everything from the first game and makes it 100x better.  The combat is very smooth and intuitive and the overall strategy some battles take can be quite pleasing.  You play as Geralt, probably one of the most badass characters I've ever gotten to play as and you guide him on his quest to clear his name.  He has been accused of being a "kingslayer", although he has partially lost his memory and has no recollection of what happened after the end of the first game.  His interrogator basically puts all of his faith in him and accompanies Geralt on his mission to find the true kingslayer or.....kingslayers.  It may sound a bit confusing, but the story comes together beautifully with great voice acting and dialogue.  This game has some of the best dialogue I have ever heard and I imagine the developers weren't even going for that.  It's very subtle, hilarious, and the way Geralt looks so stoic during these events make it even funnier.  There was one mission where you have to fist-fight these guys in a bar and the instigator muttered something like, "Some say this next guy can hold a bucket full of water from his ****" and the only thing Geralt reacted with was a delayed raised eyebrow.  The humor is intentional, but it's also unintentional which makes it even funnier because you wouldn't expect the type of people in this game to curse and be as vulgar as they are.

The combat really does shine though because there is so much depth.  There's plenty of steel swords and silver swords to choose from, with full sets of armors and accessories to tinker with.  Geralt also has access to numerous "signs" he can cast during battle at the cost of vigor which regenerates, and deciding which sign is best for a certain situation always keeps you on your toes.  You can also put these "oils" on your swords to increase damage or even craft potions and bombs that have different effects. It's a lot to take in, but the game delivers all of this in a very manageable way.  The skill trees you can put your points into can be very difficult to decide once you level up, as you always will have that nagging feeling like "man, I knew I should have tried to level up that skill" or, "man, that skill should would come in handy right now" which I think is great because it forces you to make tough decisions.  The characters and quests are great and offer a diverse selection of dialogue and some of the dialogue choices can lead to very strange predicaments such as Geralt's hangover or having sex with succubuses.  That's also another big thing about this game; the sex.  There's a lot of sex in this game and it isn't afraid to show it. I was surprised I didn't see Geralt's **** in one of the animations. 

Overall, the Witcher II is a fantastic game that I had a LOT of fun with.  The lore can be difficult to get into, and the game isn't too difficult even on Dark difficulty, but you can't go wrong with checking it out.  It looks great and plays like a champ.  This game is a winner.  Witcher II: Assassins of Kings assassinates its way to #41!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Worst Games
Ju-On: The Grudge

This game is **** terrible.

It's not even a game really. It's exactly what the subtitle says, a haunted house simulator.  It really does feel like you're walking through a haunted house on Halloween.  Except you don't walk this painfully slow. Every protagonist you play as walks as slow as molasses in the desert. Even when the crazy ass Grudge Girl shows up and makes it totally obvious that she wishes to deliver justice upon the protagonist, they still choose to walk at that same turtle speed.  All of the protagonists are idiots too.  The first girl lost her dog in some abandoned warehouse and she went in to go find the dog.  Are you serious?  The third guy wakes up in an abandoned hospital where he can see the Grudge Girl's FEET below some of the curtains..but he chooses to stay and investigate.  S.M.H.

I'm not going to lie, some sections of the game can be pretty creepy and a few of the jumpscares actually aren't bad, but once you've seen one you've seen them all.  If you have to replay a chapter, which you certainly will, you will see just how bad this game is.  You can't even access the final chapter unless you replay ALL of the stages and find items that can only be accessed after a second run.  The slow trudging is a waste of time and the scarcity of batteries for your flashlight makes this game a chore to get through. The scares become a nuisance and the TERRIBLE controls will make you want to crush your innocent Wiimote.  Your batteries die fast, and when you have no battery life, it's an instant death and there are NO checkpoints at ALL.  Stages play out like this:

Aim awful flashlight around the area. Go find battery. Find random key. Unlock door. Slowly walk over there. Jumpscare. Find another battery. Walk here. Grudge Girl moans. Find a key. Find what it unlocks. Random battery. Little kid that meows like a cat runs across your screen. Another key. Bought to run out of battery life. Slowly walk to unlock another door. HERE COMES GRUDGE GIRL AND HER LIVING HAIR, SLOWLY DO A 180 AND WALK AWAY FROM HER EVEN THOUGH SHE'S CRAWLING FULL SPEED AND CLICKING AT YOU. Somehow Protagonist gets away. Uh oh. Grudge Girl catches Protagonist. Dead protagonist. Move on to the next one, rinse and repeat.

So yeah, you can see how this game stacks up.  This game isn't worth more than $3 in my opinion. It's a cheap, bougie, D-League horror game that isn't worth anyone's time.  It might be okay to play one night with your girlfriend or something but other than that, skip this ****.  The only reason I played it was because I heard it was scary and I burned it onto a blank disc.  Thank God I didn't shell out the $40 this game was asking for to play it.  The developers would have much more to worry about than a Grudge Girl.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #513 on: 01 March, 2014, 08:53:24 pm »

I've wanted to try the Witcher games.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #514 on: 01 March, 2014, 08:57:58 pm »

In all seriousness, this is just me being 100% real here, but I think you would love them.  I can only hazard a guess that it is similar to something like Game of Thrones.

Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #515 on: 01 March, 2014, 09:17:51 pm »

Possibly. I know they're supposed to be mad deep and all, and I do dig a good Western RPG.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #516 on: 01 March, 2014, 09:28:31 pm »

Very deep..especially once you progress past a certain point in the game that I won't say.  I feel like this is the game that a lot of other RPGs WANT to be but can't, like Dragon Age II.

Are a variety of enemies a necessity for you?
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #517 on: 01 March, 2014, 09:35:07 pm »

Depends on the game. For WRPGs I've sort of excepted that there's usually not a ton for one reason or another. It never hurts though.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #518 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:32:34 pm »

Limbo

When it was first released, Limbo was one of those games that I would hear about but wouldn't look into due to an overall unknowingness about it or where it came from.  Luckily, one of my classmates actually advised me to play it about the week after and I took it into consideration and actually played it.  I was pleasantly surprised at how atmospheric and daunting it was.  Personally, the gameplay of a game comes before anything else and I can't stand it when games take too long to give me some actual gameplay because they're trying to set up some elaborate plotline and all kinds of other nonsense.  I feel that's where games are falling short lately and it sucks that these companies have such a hard-on for atmosphere, story, and multiplayer (the icing on the cake) before even making the gameplay good (the actual cake).
Limbo was a VERY nice contrast, as it introduced gameplay and atmosphere at essentially the same time and they both developed alongside each other.  At first, you're just a little kid in a black-and-white world and not much is presented to you.  However, as time progresses, you see just how sinister the world is and you solve all of the deathtraps that await you. 

I enjoyed Limbo a lot because of how eerie it was and how you really had to interpret all of the events for yourself.  It's an open-ended game with a ton of tricky puzzles that forces you to think with every hemisphere of your brain (atleast for me anyway).  I remember the first time I fought the spider and I had no idea what to do which got me impaled quite a bit.  It finally clicked what I had to do, and the feeling was great.  Limbo is a great game, well worth the money despite its overall short campaign, and its one of those games that you can present to a friend or family member to see if they can figure out everything (hence the reason why my classmate suggested it to me).  To me, Limbo defined a new medium where gameplay and atmosphere can walk side by side and complement each other well.  Limbo does the limbo-limbo line into #40.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excitebike 64

Excitebike 64 was an amazing game.  I was always a fan of motocross, but this game took everything about motocross and turned it into a beast of entertainment.  This game has a surplus of fun modes and an EXCELLENT track creator that I spent a TON of time on.  I made one track that basically consisted of a series of sharp turns that eventually led to a SUPER deep hole that was like a grave for bikers.  My friends and I would try everything in our power not to wreck in that hole and the multiplayer races were intense as all hell filled with anger and sometimes dying laughter.  It's games like these that really turns on your nostalgia switch and makes you miss this era of fun.  Unfortunately, games now just don't have the ability to be so mindlessly fun and competitive anymore.  This game has so many tracks and races could keep you entertained for days on end.  The announcer was a bit annoying at times, but it was never enough to detract from the game.

You could play soccer on dirtbikes, race through a desert trying to find checkpoints like a scavenger hunt, try to be the first to climb mountains, regular race, have a trick battle, edit tracks, watch replays..there was just so much to do.  The wipeouts were even hilarious to watch, especially when people would hit something at a fast speed and watch their biker fly off at breakneck speeds. The music was always decent, but nowhere near Wave Race 64's level.  Overall, Excitebike 64 was a fantastic game that I would love to play again one day..maybe through emulation..but the sheer memories and fun that I had with this game can't be matched easily.  Excitebike 64 scoots its way to #39!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worst Games
Assassin's Creed III

I hated this game.  Plain and simple, I hated it.  After the hours of trudging my way through the prologue and finally getting placed in Connor's shoes, I was already suffering from fatigue.  I dunno what the hell Ubisoft was smoking with this one but I hated it.  It suffers from the syndrome I described in the Limbo text above.  They wanted to focus so much on the plot and establishing the Templars and what not that they forgot to make the gameplay good and interesting.  It sucked.  I played as Connor for a little bit and it got more interesting, but I could not progress any further.  The prologue added nothing good to the game and it should have been skipped entirely.  It should have been a montage at the start of the game.  I was so hyped for this game after all of the commercials and advertisements and ****..but man was I disappointed.  The worst part is that I'm sure I didn't miss out on anything..the controls were a bit frustrating and I hate Desmond.  I pretty much hate everything about Assassin's Creed besides the second game.  It's a milked cow series that I will never touch again unless it gets a location in the feudal era and lets me play as a daimyo or a shogun or some ****. 

The ship warfare even sucked.  It should not have even been in Assassin's Creed III.  Overall, I feel like III was a damn half-assed test game to make sure IV didn't suck.  Even the combat was abysmal.  The finishing kills were sweet, but they were ridiculously easymode and you could obliterate entire armies with barely any effort.  The stealth was also lackluster, as usually it would be impossible to use stealth in certain areas because you were GOING to get caught regardless, making all of that effort and patience for naught because enemies could see through walls and ****.  It was a trash experience.  Couldn't even use a damn gun without getting frustrated because the reloading was stupid.  The bonus objectives during missions were dumb..some checkpoints were dumb and the dialogue wasn't even great.  It was cool meeting up with some historical figures..but the game was too ****ty for that to even make an impact.

Oh yeah, the multiplayer was garbage too because there was no matchmaking to play people that were the same level as you.  You would have to play against people that already had all of the upgrades and levels on their character and it'd be impossible to win or do well because they had some bullshit ass abilities and exploiting tactics that would destroy you no matter what you tried.  If you didn't buy the game on the week of release and jump on multiplayer as soon as you could, you would have no fun because everyone else would be miles ahead of you in terms of upgrades and the game wasn't balanced enough to compensate or make it reasonable to do well.

This game is absolute sh.ite in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 05 March, 2014, 02:38:46 pm by Setsuna F. Seiei » Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #519 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:34:25 pm »

I should play Limbo some day. And lol assassin's creed
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #520 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:43:38 pm »

You should. It's fairly cheap now I do believe and it's an awesome experience. Probably the best indie game I've ever played, competing with Castle Crashers and Outland. Maybe Outlast too.

Have you played any of the AC games?
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #521 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:49:43 pm »

Outland is wonderful and amazing.

The first one and some of the second. I don't particularly like them.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #522 on: 05 March, 2014, 02:58:24 pm »

I'll concur to that!

Have you played or looked into Lords of Shadow 2 by any chance? Personally, I don't know what to think about it.
I thought Gabriel was a Belmont? But now he's Dracula. So Dracula is apart of the Belmont clan? Or did Dracula take over Gabriel's body or something? I heard you got to fight Alucard and Simon but I just dunno how I feel about it.  I wondered how you felt about MercurySteam's direction of the series.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #523 on: 05 March, 2014, 03:11:23 pm »

I want to but haven't had the time or money. From what I've read, there seems to be some cool things but also some really dumb ideas.

And you have to drop the old Castlevania canon when thinking about Lords of Shadow. Its a new timeline/continuity. I like to analogy that its Ultimate Marvel compared to regular Marvel; it uses the same names and concepts but it different ways. In Lords of Shadow, Gabriel is the first Belmont but he becomes Dracula at the end of the first game. I'd recommend the first one. Its not like a 10/10 or anything but its long, has a decent challenge and the bosses are fun. It got a lot of flak for being a God of War rip off, but I find the directional/area style of the combat has a different feel to it than the weak/strong attacks of God of War despite the similar visual flair. The Shadow of the Colossus rip off bosses are pretty lame but there's only three and the last one is kind of cool.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #524 on: 05 March, 2014, 03:12:07 pm »

Also I dug Mirror of Fate for what it was, although that might simply have been because it was the first 2D game since Order of Ecclesia.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: