Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 03:39:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Good Neighbor MM

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Neighbor MM  (Read 14237 times)
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #630 on: 21 September, 2014, 03:22:51 pm »

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Superb game. Picked it up for around $10 at Best Buy one day and I played from the time I got it (like 5PM) until like..midday the next day. Once you get started with this game, it's hard to put it down because it's that addicting. Tactics Ogre is a turn-based SRPG much like Final Fantasy Tactics but this series has enough uniqueness to be separated into its own district.

The characters in this game are pretty top-notch actually, and you really feel like you're traveling down different roads with the decisions you make. Each path you take leads you down startlingly different campaigns and each playthrough feels mostly fresh, especially since you only get certain dialogue and certain teammates down different paths. You can be a neutral character, chaotic, or lawful..and in my experience, the path that I thought I wanted to go down actually turned out to be much worse than I imagined. The story changes drastically due to the choices you make; I've never spent so much time trying to analyze the consequences of a certain choice about a quarter through the game. I was seriously stuck at the dialogue box for like 15 minutes. The cool thing about this game is that there's a "Chariot Tarrot", or, a way you can rewind time to see the effects of other choices. This makes it so that you don't necessarily have to play through the ENTIRE game over again, but you can skip to certain sections to see. Needless to say, the story is incredible. Absolutely incredible. It has humor, tragedy, twists, despair-event horizons (for the player), goosebump feels..and pretty much everything one could ask for.

The battle system/unit system is one of my favorite aspects though. There are a bunch of different classes that are very different from one another, and you have to mix and match to find the best chemistry. Archers are pretty OP though, especially when you build their skills and get them ahead in weapons, while Swordmasters are pretty UP for 80% of the game. This game has an awesome way of going about weapons/skills too. After each battle, you get skill points that you can use to grab new skills and this is where the true addicting factor kicks in. Usually, after battles you'll only be a few points short of getting an amazing skill and you'll want to keep playing to reach it. It feels awesome when you deck out a veteran unit and watch them tank on the battlefield. You can set your units to AI-mode so the computer can play for you, and sometimes this is the best for magicians because the CPU handles them so well. Usually, you can't tell when your teammates are in the way of a spell and when they are, you end up hitting them instead of the enemy. The CPU NEVER messes this up so sometimes it's good to let the CPU control a few units which is awesome and makes you really feel like you're the commander of an army with individuals with their own mindsets fighting for themselves. It's great.

The enemies are tough and knowledgeable, the rain/storm effects are the best I have seen on a handheld and even beats some consoles, and overall the environments are splendid. The crafting system needed a bit of work, but it wasn't too bad..and sometimes the enemies have a blatant advantage over you like being at the top of a hill, allowing archers to rain death upon your team. Did I mention archers are OP? These guys can sit at the top of a building or hill, and shoot about eight or nine spaces BEYOND their shot range due to their vantage point (which is cool btw, the arrows just ****ing sail through the sky) and you'll never be able to catch them unless you take multiple arrows to the face. It's awesome for you, but it's mad annoying when the enemies do it. You can counteract this with certain skills like Sidestep, but overall it's still annoying.

You can also recruit monsters, but I never really experimented with them because I like human units much more. Angel Knights are by far my favorite class and it's just extremely fun to mess with units. I'm babbling now but you get the point. The game is fantastic and probably one of the best handheld RPGs of all time. I can't really say anything bad about this game..other than it's hard to know how to get certain units without a guide...and sometimes you're thrown into excruciatingly difficult battles with no warning. Awesome game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Calibur 2

This game was sick on the Gamecube. I had never touched Soul Calibur before this game and I rented it on a whim one day. That rent turned into a full-on buy because I was so enthralled with the Weapon Master mode. It was amazing. Great fighting game with some pretty good fighters, a really cool boss, and an OUTSTANDING game mode. I picked this over SC3 because I just had more fun and memories with this one. I liked SC3's "Chronicles of the Sword" mode, and I feel like they should have expanded on that to make SC4 better..but alas...they did not. SC4 paid the price too because the game was quite bad when it came to lasting value. The online was trash and the modes were barren. You couldn't even level up past Level 9 so it was like...what's the point? And SC5 shouldn't have even been able to exist. That game was rushed out the ass and an absolute waste of time.

It sucks looking at games like Soul Calibur 2 and having that feeling of, "man, fighting games just ain't what they used to be". Fighters now don't really cater to the single-player seeker and the only thing now is online or nothing. A lot of them don't even have arcade endings or just simply half-ass them. I appreciate Brawl's subspace and Blazblue's story, and games like Killer Instinct, Street Fighter, and even Tekken have no excuse to not have some sort of lasting mode within them. What happened to Scenario Campaign, Namco? That was fun. Dead or Alive 5 had a story atleast, but it was so hilariously terrible that I don't know what to say about it. Hell, even KOF did a decent job with its story. But, my point is, Soul Calibur 2 did a good job all-around and it's still good to this day. Maybe because it didn't have the luxury of having online features like games do today and maybe that was a blessing in disguise. Crazy how a fighting game like SC2 is better than a lot of others today, imo, even without online features. It still looks good too. (SC2 HD doesn't count because that online-play is laughable).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORST GAMES
Soulcalibur: Lost Swords

Speaking of Soul Calibur, what about this garbage? This game is straight booty. It's free, yes, but that is no excuse to be as sorry as it is. The load times are the worst I have seen in God knows how long, the events are ridiculous, and the crafting system is awful. Lost Swords is trying its hardest to replicate Weapon Master and it's failing in every aspect. There is no story. There's text describing the different stages, but there is no story. It's pathetic.

You can't get certain characters unless you happen to be on during the week. Half the time, you don't even want to turn the game on so you don't really know who's up for "grabs" (lol yeah grasping for straws). You have to pay to get worthwhile equipment..and the grinding is abysmal. In order to get a character, you have to be online during certain "events". In order to play the game, you need to have "AP" which replenishes throughout the day.  If you don't have any AP or not enough to play an event, you have to wait half an hour, to an hour, or maybe even two hours to have enough. By that time, you'll find something more interesting to do. If you level up, you get all your AP back but when you're a higher level..it takes ages to level up. But yeah, to get a character..you have to play events. You also need to be at the right level to even beat the event. If you're a lower level..you won't even do any damage to the enemies you fight BEFORE you even fight the character you want. It's a gauntlet of misery. You HAVE to play hard mode to stand even a CHANCE of obtaining the character. Once you fight, let's say Raphael for instance..you have to get him in "critical stun" or some **** to make him drop his character key. In order to get him in critical stun, you have to fight him with an element that's super effective against his. Let's say his element is fire, well, you have to use water element equipment to get him into critical stun. If you've been using wind or fire element equipment up until that point, you have to grind water equipment in order to stand a chance. Once you get him in critical stun, there's only a 10-15% chance he'll drop his key on HARD mode. On normal, it's only a 5% chance. You do get "partners", or, other users that made characters too, to assist you in battle (they have different elements and you can pick them before the battle), but you only get one and they only last about five seconds. If you get caught in a combo by the CPU or get hit with a lucky attack and downed, it's an absolute waste.

So, if you fail to get him or if you're not able to critical stun him..you have to start the gauntlet over. After two-three times of this...it gets infuriating and unbearable combined with the load times. Namco said they're going to fix this ****, but I doubt it. When the game first released, you couldn't even play it because of server errors. If you were in the middle of a mission and the server crashed, you lost all progress. ALL of it. This lasted for about two-three weeks and pretty much everyone dropped the game. It's baffling. Yeah, it's free..but there's no excuse. None.
They're doing everything they possible can to entice people to come back..like confirming fan-favorite characters like Seung-Mina and Amy..but it's about too late. This game put a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Atleast Tekken Revolution was playable and fun for what it was. This game is a trudge and slog through a murky swamp of poison and disease. Stay away. Don't expect **** out of this game.

Not to mention, money grubbing Namco has a buyable equipment pack that's like a whopping $20. I think it's a premium chest that contains good equipment...but if it's not, you WASTE YOUR MONEY ON FLASHY EQUIPMENT THAT'S NOT EVEN BETTER THAN WHAT YOU HAVE SOMETIMES. Maybe they changed this, but I'm pretty sure this game hasn't been updated from the last time I played it. This game isn't even fun. It's boring, frustrating, bland, and more of a nuisance than anything. Waste of space on your harddrive. It's so broken that no amount of updates will make this game good. It's a quick attempt at a money-grab to keep Soul Calibur relevant since SC5 was trash. But if this is any indication of where SC is going, then they're only hastening its death, unfortunately.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #631 on: 21 September, 2014, 06:59:51 pm »

Love SC2 so much. Like more than I can describe. Not sure I agree about the single player component for fighters though; NRS and ASW both give a lot of effort into the single player even if they're both very different in how they do it.

I really need to play TO. I love Matsuno.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #632 on: 21 September, 2014, 07:54:59 pm »

Yeah, I was going to praise Challenge Tower at first too but I was so consumed by hatred for Lost Swords that I lost my train of thought. Oh well.
I guess the next entry is spoiled... Sad

And yes..yes you really do. It's amazing.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #633 on: 21 September, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »

you goofed

I have the GBA one (Knights of Lodis) but haven't been able to really sink time into it.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #634 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:55:01 pm »

*Harada gets interviewed about Tekken 7*

"Tekken 7 won't have Revolution's fully invincible attacks-"

won't have Revolution's fully invincible attacks

Report Spam   Logged
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #635 on: 03 October, 2014, 04:41:05 pm »

7 looks pretty sweet. I know it's the initial build, but I hope they reduce the amount of damage attacks do. By the looks of this, getting caught by Bryan's charge roundhouse will kill you in two-three hits. It was bad in Tag 2 and you essentially had two health bars there (that could recover), but it looks like they're adopting some of Revolution's schemes.

The rage super moves suck and I am not a fan already. I already dislike "comeback mechanics" and this looks like a pain, albeit very slow and predicatable. With a game like Tekken and how easy it was to abuse invincible moves in Revolution when you were trying to pressure and mind-screw your opponents...this is not kosher. It's exactly like Soul Calibur V's supers, except these happen during critical health. This is probably the method they're using for Tekken X Street Fighter's super moves.

The combos look pretty toned down. Airborne juggles are still Tekkeny (five-six hits), but it's leaning toward Revolution's juggle system and I think people will be happy about that. Bounds are still in, but they're toned down heavily. Moves that use to bound cause people to do a backflip animation and they're too far away to continue the string. Walls are still a big problem so wall-carries will still be very strong. Destructible environments are also fair game for big combos.

The impact of attacks looks even better with all of the sparks flying around, and when you land a sick counter-hit it looks so painfully beautiful.

Catalina has an ambiguous ass low sweep that I can see getting abused early on in the game's life-cycle.

There's a new character named Claudio as well. He's more or less eh...kinda like Z.W.E.I from Soul Calibur V. He has glowing fists and a pimp-ass backhand that crumbles opponents...but the guy playing didn't know what he was doing with him.

Paul Phoenix's shoulder-ram takes off about 15-20% health and it's buffed even MORE when it comes to speed. Wtf. It doesn't even look like it has frames.

Law has been buffed it looks like. Christ.

Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #636 on: 03 October, 2014, 06:26:10 pm »

yeah boy paul buffs
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #637 on: 04 October, 2014, 12:55:51 pm »

Paul's hair can be even taller. lol

and Claudio really is a Maxi expy
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #638 on: 04 October, 2014, 02:00:17 pm »

Not sure how I feel about Claudio yet. Need to watch more footage of him and Catalina.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #639 on: 27 October, 2014, 06:35:22 pm »

Got a chance to play Lords of the Fallen early.

The outside areas have a framerate that's 5x worse than Blighttown. It's a complete Powerpoint presentation.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #640 on: 27 October, 2014, 07:25:27 pm »

powerpoint valley
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #641 on: 28 October, 2014, 08:16:13 pm »

Indeed.

They fixed it though, which is good.

Kind of a difficult game if I'm honest. I think this is how Souls was supposed to be.
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #642 on: 28 October, 2014, 09:32:03 pm »

Souls is the very thing it was intended to be.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yes.

« Reply #643 on: 28 October, 2014, 11:58:10 pm »

The 2nd game was intended to be a travesty? Lol

I jest.

Maybe.

Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #644 on: 29 October, 2014, 05:29:54 am »

Other than the boss designs taking a dive, I quote enjoyed II. It's not quite as good as the first one but the deliberateness of it's design is still evident and it's still among the best games I've played this year.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: