Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 09:38:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Raizor's art topic of unresponsiveness and active lollygagging

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raizor's art topic of unresponsiveness and active lollygagging  (Read 4766 times)
Esh
Ultimate Being
­
­ ­

Mood: Tsundere

« Reply #135 on: 08 August, 2010, 03:43:47 pm »

HAVE YOU EVEN READ OTTERS 11!?

It's almost like some sort of twisted outlet for Hiramaru's hate for Yoshida and want for a break....

Also I would think you'd be using a tablet the other way round.... You stuff on there will look better for one and of course you don't want to wear down your pen by drawing nothing all the time.... What are you planning on getting?
Report Spam   Logged

~esh
Rai
empirical wwizard of wwhite science
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Raizor
Mood: ...

« Reply #136 on: 08 August, 2010, 04:01:39 pm »

I've used a tablet before, and with the way I hold writing utensils, I think anything really good would be better done on paper first and then traced with the tablet. Besides, you can get new pen nibs depending on the stylus.

I was thinking about a Touchsmart TM2. I haven't looked around a lot yet, that one just seems nice, before I actually buy one I'll do some more extensive research and ask around.

My problem with tablets my be more derived from the one I used before being a separate... Thing, and it not being mine so I had little time to adjust. But using the screen itself just seems way more effective.
Report Spam   Logged
Esh
Ultimate Being
­
­ ­

Mood: Tsundere

« Reply #137 on: 08 August, 2010, 04:14:00 pm »

I use a Cintiq 21ux....

I draw straight to screen and don't even bother with paper....
Report Spam   Logged

~esh
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #138 on: 10 August, 2010, 01:15:39 am »

Anyway, gonna throw up two drawings. Both of Eko, so blah catpeople and whatever, but I'm just most comfortable with him so I'm going to use him to experiment with more drastic action poses.

The first one... Is not an action pose in any way. Just caught up in Bakuman and wanted to draw something, and I was interesting in if I'd do better, as well as how much Bakuman would influence the overall drawing.

I've noticed it in the teeth, at least. That might be it.

Anyway, this one isn't even done. And likely won't be because I had to darken the guidelines for it to scan properly. I realized I didn't know how to finish it, so I just did Eko's head and left the body a stickish figure. I don't really have a problem with Eko's pose here (though I bet I could definitely use some advice there anyway), but as for who he'd be punching, I have no idea how to draw them receiving it.

Maybe I should practice punching people in the face and see what they look like.

I'm also interested in taking several of my previous human characters and snatching aspects of them frankenstein style to see about making a new human character who can easily stand above them. Not just the character, but the backgrounds and plots surrounding them. Not in a half-assed "well I had an immortal guy and a detective and a robot pilot and an android so I should make an immortal android detective who pilots a bigger android" sort of way... Though that does sound cool... Mmm... Anyway.

I know I always say "well it was anthromorphs this time BUT NEXT TIME PEOPLE" or "NEXT TIME ACTION" or "NEXT TIME SOMETHING NEW" with me either forgetting, not caring, or just not drawing, but... Well, no, I can't promise anything different this time.
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #139 on: 11 August, 2010, 10:54:48 pm »

I think I have both writer's block and artist's block at the same time. I want to draw a new character, but I have trouble designing a character without knowing his personality and setting, and I can't think up a single thing on that front. Meanwhile I try to practice my basics on faces and I can't come up with a single eye shape that I think looks good. Just eyes and they're bugging me so much.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #140 on: 11 August, 2010, 10:58:31 pm »

I don't know what you can do and I can't help you at all. If you took my advice you'd be making Russian riot-cops during a series of societal revolts and it wouldn't feel "Raizor"-y
Report Spam   Logged

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #141 on: 11 August, 2010, 11:20:13 pm »

Everything that isn't Eko seems like I'm just reworking the same concepts or designs around and trying to make it better... Which is why I often feel like ditching older characters in favour of sucking out their defining characteristics and sticking them all together into some weird creature that I call a human character.

Eko isn't an original character at all, but I still don't get how I came up with him. Everything else is grinning men who frequently happen to be wearing suits, ties, or have fuzzy hoods. They also tend to have plain, flat black hair.

I think it's seeing Detective Trap in Bakuman, and then thinking "god damnit I wish I thought of that" that's made me come to this conclusion, because I realized most of my human characters are similar to him in some way. It's like he was the end I was trying to reach but someone else got there first. I mean it's a manga in a manga that failed in the ratings and got canceled in-universe, but still.

Now I'm left fumbling around, holding every character I make or have made up to that Trap standard even though Trap isn't like some horribly unique character or anything, trying to figure out exactly what is "Raizor"-y.

Eyes and noses are what are bugging me most of all right now. All the eyes and noses look like Nether. And those eyes are terribly unemotive and difficult to use on multiple characters. Noses are problematic not because I only draw them one way, but because I'm not even very good at that one way and they look like they're taking up too much face space.

After that comes clothes, but that's not a problem with drawing, it's a conceptual problem and I just need to think of something. It would probably be better if I didn't think too much about it and just went along not stressing over it, but I've been not thinking about characters for months now and obviously nothing's happened so I need to try a little.

I'm tempted to look at the things I like but I know I'll just accidentally rip them off. Then again, Eko Maderro basically started like that, but I revised him enough that he became less horribly unoriginal.

AND NOW I'M RANTING.

I'm just going to stop and think for a bit. Maybe music will help.
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #142 on: 19 August, 2010, 06:39:56 pm »

Shameless pose theft.

It was fun, and surprisingly easy/quick. Usually when drawing characters next to each other, I mess up the proportions significantly. And when I'm trying to precisely copy another picture, I'll position things slightly wrong, and then position things in relation to those slightly wrong things in a slightly wrong way again, on and on, creating a chain reaction then ends up with a person's ear on their hip.

BUT THIS WENT WELL.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #143 on: 19 August, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »

I have sigs turned off, but I'm going to click on your name and expect to see that as your sig.
Report Spam   Logged

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #144 on: 19 August, 2010, 08:59:45 pm »

No but I think my current sig is better.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #145 on: 19 August, 2010, 09:07:35 pm »

hmmmidontknowaboutthat
Report Spam   Logged

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore