Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 04:08:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

So, I saw the Protomen last night.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, I saw the Protomen last night.  (Read 301 times)
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« on: 08 May, 2010, 08:11:50 pm »

It was everything I could have asked for.

There were two bands before they went on. The first band, The Alcazar Hotel, was what happens when hipsters decide to form a bed. The lead singer was wearing a suit that was entirely maroon down to the shoes. The bassist was a mixture of an old man and a petite Asian woman. The guitarist looked pretty normal, and the drum player wore sunglasses like Morpheus's and was probably in his late fifties. Despite all that, they weren't bad. Good rhythm.

The second band, Birds and Arrows, played folk rock and consisted of a cellist, an acoustic guitar player, and a drummer. I resented them for every minute they stayed on stage.

And then The Protomen played. This is the setlist:

"How the World Fell Under Darkness"
"Breaking Out"
"Keep Quiet"
"The Father of Death"
"The Hounds"
"The State v. Thomas Light"
"Hope Rides Alone"
"Total Eclipse of the Heart"
"Due Vendetta"

Encore:
"The Will of One"
"Vengeance"

K.I.L.R.O.Y. welcomed us to the battle and summoned the rest of the band by raising Protoman's helmet. Then they played "How the World Fell Under Darkness." Each instrument entered separately. They recreated everything, right down to K.I.L.R.O.Y. beating a piece of iron with a sledge hammer. Each song was completely epic.

I believe Turbo Lover plays the part of Wiley, and he was dressed in a three piece suit complete with fedora and an old-fashioned smoking pipe. He played the part perfectly.

The Reanimator is a sick drummer. He was standing on top of his drum set and playing it at times.

"The State v. Thomas Light" transitioned nicely into "Hope Rides Alone" at which point Panther donned Protoman's helmet. The helmet itself is a microphone, so he just sings into it, and the jack is plugged into the back. K.I.L.R.O.Y. then equipped him with the arm cannon. Yes, there is an arm cannon. The first mosh pit formed during this song. The second and third formed during "Due Vendetta" and "Vengeance."

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" was lulzy. Panther said it's been the band's favorite jam throughout the tour. The Gambler sang, and she has a damn good voice.

The main set ended with "Due Vendetta," and I now have a whole new respect for that song. If they hadn't come out for an encore, I'll admit, I would have felt a bit unfulfilled, but we knew the battle wasn't over, and so did they. The band returned with Panther wearing Mega Man's helmet. "The Will of One" was just as good as I could have imagined, and "Vengeance" was a great way to finish the fight.

I left the show inspired by K.I.L.R.O.Y.'s last message: I am no longer a citizen; I am a warrior.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fuuka Yamagishi
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Tsundere

DB maybe?

« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2010, 08:47:11 pm »

Sounds awesome.
Report Spam   Logged

This is an intense, heart pounding adventure! | Internet Antagonist, Prince Silly, The Bazle
Quote from: Jawo'
Stop riding my crotch, please. I don't even know who you are.

wat why are my fruit fighting i dont even get back in the fridge or meet a blendery death - TML
Maniac234678
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2010, 08:53:59 pm »

random's dream has been fulfilled

would you mind if i killed you now
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2010, 09:10:21 pm »

random's dream has been fulfilled

would you mind if i killed you now
Kinda. I still would like to see Tool and Coheed, but I guess I could die now if you really have to.
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Maniac234678
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2010, 09:18:21 pm »

I'd be doing you a favor.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2010, 11:20:56 pm »

Oh Maniac, you are such a card.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2010, 09:55:14 am »

Seeing Tool would crush your silly Protoguys.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Ansem120
Straight from the Tippy-Tippys
Sacred Warrior

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:20:18 pm »

I saw The Protomen last month at PAX East, and let me tell you, they were off the chain.

Beforehand, I had heard a couple of their songs, but I had no idea what they would be like live. I don't know if it was the same for you random, but when the show started, everything went black. And after about a minute of darkness, the 2 big screens in the room started flashing phrases like "We are your hope," and things of that nature with distorted images of wars going on in the background.

The thing is, they were so good live that it made the next 2 bands (Anamanaguchi and Metroid Metal) seem kinda poor in comparison. Also, as a side-note, the members of the band turned out to be extremely funny at the Musician's Panel the next day.

Bottom line, awesome band, awesome show, would gladly buy tickets to see them again at a high price.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2010, 03:21:34 pm »

I don't think the venue really did their showmanship justice. It was a cramped stage with ten people on it, and the projection system was ****, so the propoganda stuff didn't really show up. I knew what was supposed to be displayed based on the video, but it would have been nice if the images were hitting a screen instead of the backs of everyone in the crowd. I agree that they were all hilarious though, even on stage.

I definitely want to see them again in the future at a bigger venue. Even under the circumstances, they were still the second best concert I've been too.

>_>

Seeing Tool would crush your silly Protoguys.
Y'know, I would be looking for different things from Tool, so it's not really the kind of experience I would be comparing.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2010, 06:51:40 pm »

A concert is a concert so they can be compared. Fool.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2010, 11:16:56 pm »

I don't get you.
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Local Mod
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2010, 11:21:51 pm »

What is this
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:43:14 am »

I don't get you.

Feeling is mutual.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: