Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 12:32:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Finally starting to properly cycle through shows again

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally starting to properly cycle through shows again  (Read 1237 times)
Rai
empirical wwizard of wwhite science
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Raizor
Mood: ...

« on: 24 May, 2010, 02:00:24 pm »

'till recently all I'd really been doing is following Durarara, while I aimlessly look for other shows that I really wanted to watch. Despite having a bunch that I could watch, nothing was going anywhere... But now I've piled on a bunch more things to watch (and cut out some things I know I don't really want to see), so I've got some stuff going.

So anyway, now I'm watching Bakemonogatari. It's pretty good, mostly because I like Zetsubou-Sensei, I think. The content is different, but the style is the same (well because it's SHAFT). Though, the lack of... Well, other people, just in the background, to make the whole thing feel a bit more alive, while not a problem initially, is starting to bug me. And a lot of people probably won't like that some scenes can be drawn on for a while with nothing getting accomplished. I like it though because I just like the characters and how they interact in this, even if they are built on archetypes (tsundere, loli, meganekko, etc.). And in spite of how it starts, talking about vampires and the protagonist formerly being one and then swiftly going into a stationary-wielding technically supernatural woman... It isn't an action show. It's a talking show. More about wit and stringing you along, mentally... Though it isn't a drama or a thriller or anything like that. Got to episode 6 and I just saw the closest thing to an action scene.

And while the cost-cutting things are quite evident, I still like how they're done, and they occasionally result in some really nice scenes. The spastic 'camera' jumping and set-off text screens are more plentiful than in SZS, especially with this thing I don't really get where it cuts to a black (well, really dark gray, if you wanna be technical) screen that just says "Black" for the first few episodes, then later starts saying "Black frame". It's only for a split second, and I don't get what it's for, aside from rapid motion to keep you more interested.

Though I'm only a third of the way through. And I'm a little confused as to the state of the last few episodes because I've heard all kinds of things, but I'm pretty sure the last episode isn't out yet, and I only sort of think episode 14 (second to last) is, but I only found 1-12, and 9 isn't being seeded at all so its stuck <_<

I also finally got all of New Getter Robo, dual-audio and everything (I've heard the dub is good), and I intend to watch that either after, or during Bakemonogatari. I checked it to make sure, and the dub really didn't seem bad. I can't really say anything that matters though because I only saw like a minute, but it at least wasn't awful.

And while I've only seen some of it (and it's a short show so I don't know why I haven't finished it), Karas is really cool. If you haven't seen it or tried it, look into it.

...And, after (...or while...) I watch Bakemonogatari and Getter (and probably Karas), I think I'll go for... Oh right, Kino's Journey. I know (think?) Bizzle's seen it. In spite of hearing about it in that topic, I had zero interest and hadn't even looked into it. But now I have, and I've downloaded it, and it looks really good. And in spite of Bizzle's comment about Kino being a loli increasing his interest in the show, looking at the Mal article on the show, and seeing Kino... Still made me think she was a male. So. But yeah. Talking Motorcycle.

Oh, and Cat Soup soon. Most definitely.

No I won't be bolding show titles all the time.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2010, 04:23:20 pm »

I was a bit cautious at first, but after the fight scene in episode 3 of New Getter, I'm rather convinced that this is going to be pretty sweet.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2010, 05:26:56 pm »

so like i wuz watchin mars of destruction, prty epik **** dere, lemme go fer a paragraph on dat topik
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2010, 05:59:48 pm »

But I went on for three paragraphs.

Mock me more accurately.
Report Spam   Logged
TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Happy

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2010, 06:31:28 pm »

NEW GETTER SUCKS. THE HAND TO HAND FIGHT SCENES ARE BETTER THAN THE ROBOT ONES.

AND I HAVEN'T SEEN KINO'S JOURNEY. BUT AHRIMAN HAS, I THINK.

AND BAKEMONOGATARI LOOKS AWESOME, AND I WAS PLANNING ON WATCHING IT AT THE BEGINNING OF SUMMER, BUT THE LAST EPISODE GOT DELAYED TO EFFING LATE JULY AND THAT PISSES ME OFF.

AND KARAS IS AWESOME.
Report Spam   Logged

Ahriman
« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2010, 06:33:51 pm »

Yes I have seen Kino's Journey, and yes it is good. The loli trap part has no bearing on the story in any way.
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2010, 06:44:51 pm »

I didn't think it did.

THE HAND TO HAND FIGHT SCENES ARE BETTER THAN THE ROBOT ONES.

Well. Yeah, they are.

But does it get worse later or something? I've only seen three episodes, but it isn't bad so far. And I've heard good things from other people. The art style feels like something more suited to a manga (hur durf i wundr y), and the Jaguar pilot is weird in that he seems insane to the point of no personality at first, then he just turns that right around as soon as he's required to be around again for the robot to do ****.

...And they do use the opening song for fight scenes far too liberally. It makes it less cool when every time they form Getter they play it.

But Bakemonogatari's last episode being in July is frustrating. I guess that's only two months, but it definitely makes me want to go through it slower...
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2010, 06:47:47 pm »

And I like Hiroshi Kamiya as a voice actor. I had suspicions as soon as I started Bakemonogatari that it was him (though I didn't know his name for sure at the time), but yeah. Same guy who does Nozomu.

....He also does that protagonist fellow from Polyphonia (that show that had the awful car chase)... So... I dunno...
Report Spam   Logged
TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2010, 06:59:35 pm »

THERE'S JUST NOTHING REALLY GOOD ABOUT THE SHOW. THE ROBOT FIGHTS AREN'T REALLY THAT GOOD, AND ANY SPECIFIC AWESOME MOMENTS ARE RUINED BECAUSE OF A LACK OF STYLE AND FLARE, AND THE SHOW DOESN'T REALLY HAVE ANYTHING GOING FOR IT OTHER THAN THE FIGHTS, SO IT JUST SUCKS.

AND THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO SAY NEW GETTER ROBO IS AWESOME ARE THE SUPER ROBOT PURIST TYPE OF PEOPLE WHO HATE ON GURREN LAGANN AND ONLY LIKE NEW GETTER ROBO BASED ON PRINCIPLE.
Report Spam   Logged

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:07:46 pm »

So basically it doesn't go anywhere at all.
Report Spam   Logged
TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:09:36 pm »

WELL THERE IS ONE ARC THAT'S KIND OF GOOD, BUT AFTER THAT IT JUST GOES RIGHT BACK TO LAMENESS
Report Spam   Logged

Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:12:06 pm »

How does a 13 episode long super robot show have like three arcs.

Whatever though, I'm just going to disregard your statements and watch it anyway because... Because. I dunno. It isn't bad yet.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:17:57 pm »

But I went on for three paragraphs.

Mock me more accurately.

no need im just mocking your need to expound on descriptions of mediocre anime without being told to
Report Spam   Logged
Rai
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:21:09 pm »

But I didn't expound on anything mediocre.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:24:42 pm »

denial
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: