Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 06:44:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Ahriman's personal blog for animu and things tangentially related to it

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 76   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ahriman's personal blog for animu and things tangentially related to it  (Read 8375 times)
Ahriman
« Reply #570 on: 31 March, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »

50/50

Pretty great show tbqh.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #571 on: 01 April, 2011, 06:02:25 am »

movie tiem

EDIT: Oh yes, rate every Umineko arc so far.
« Last Edit: 01 April, 2011, 01:52:13 pm by Lord and Savior » Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #572 on: 01 April, 2011, 02:40:31 pm »

4>3>>>>>>>>>>2>1

I thought 4's highs were higher than 3's despite it being less consistently great. It could sort of go either way.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #573 on: 01 April, 2011, 03:48:55 pm »

lolno

I am surprised that you tolerated Ange. I actually liked her as well (though she sucks in every other episode, and from what I've heard and read from episode 8, she's even worse there), but a whole load of people hated her guts. I'll rate and rank them right now:

1) - 7.5/10 - I actually kinda liked all of the scenes that contributed to its poor pacing, and EP1 actually made a pretty good horror story. I don't really want to play it again, hence why I haven't done anything with PS3 Umineko, but I still enjoyed it and managed to finish it in 3-4 days.
2) - 5.5/10 - Oh god, I hate Shannon and Kanon so much. Beato's banter with Battler was mildly amusing, but it failed to balance out the fact that everything on the gameboard managed to be the second worst in the entire series. Of course, everything from the 10th Twilight on was pretty cool.
3) - 9/10 - I don't need to explain this one, but I will. I love Eva-Beatrice more than I should and it's a shame that she never becomes important enough to even have a TIPs panel in any other episode (Except for 8). Still, as much as I love her, I loved every scene that culminated at her expense. Everything from Battler versus Evatrice on was completely and utterly amazing. The only problem with this one is that the first half was tolerable, but meh.
4) - 8.5/10 - I don't mind Ange's story and by the end of 1998, I ended up really liking her, but her story interrupts what's probably the best gameboard in the entire series. But yeah, I loved the joke gameboard with all of its shonen cliches and Goldsmith's absolutely ridiculous personality. Everything after it ended was pretty cool too, and you're obligated to cheer for Battler when he manages to not lose for the first time in all of Umineko.

-------

5) - 7/10
6 - 5.5/10
7) - 9/10

7 >= 3 > 4 > 1 > 5 > 6 >= 2.

I'll say my piece about the Chiru episodes as you go.
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #574 on: 01 April, 2011, 03:58:15 pm »

I don't understand what there is to hate about Ange. I thought her last scene when dir was playing was one of the best scenes in the series. Most of her story wasn't very interesting except the end and the last scene that happened with her at the private school where she was rejecting magic and stuff, but that doesn't make her any worse as a character.

(though she sucks in every other episode, and from what I've heard and read from episode 8, she's even worse there)

Well it kind of cheapens her ending if she can come back.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #575 on: 01 April, 2011, 04:07:22 pm »

Well... she doesn't come back for most of the series. She just ends up being played with and tortured by Featherine and Bernkastel. EP8 is different, though.

There's a better example for a character who isn't Ange: In EP6, Erika gets a pretty cool death that actually looks fairly respectable; it's really the only moment where she does anything cool in the entire series and it's actually a pretty fair place to retire her as a character. In EP8, She's brought back just so that she can do nothing of note.

Ryukishi is pretty bad when it comes to deciding when to put down characters.
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #576 on: 02 April, 2011, 02:41:22 am »

Wow that was a pretty dumb movie what the fuck was even the point of it
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #577 on: 02 April, 2011, 09:14:26 am »

Now go play EP5 and introduce yourself to the biggest prick in Umineko.

EDIT: So, I played a bit of UBW and every time I look at the character sprites, I don't ****ing care for any of Takeuchi's designs outside of "woah, it's another character who looks exactly like Ryougi Shiki." I mean, they're better drawn than anything in Umineko, but they're so generic that I would end up comparing Umineko's art favorably. Would you agree with me that, in this sense, Umineko's art is better than Fate/stay night's?
« Last Edit: 02 April, 2011, 02:21:28 pm by Lord and Savior » Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #578 on: 02 April, 2011, 02:34:06 pm »

So the only thing you're making fun of is the main character's uninspired design?
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #579 on: 02 April, 2011, 02:53:49 pm »

No, the only thing worthy of making fun of when it comes to Takeuchi's art is the fact that he's fond of recycling character designs:

- Shirou looks exactly like Tomoe.
- Kotomine looks like Araya with a healthy skin tone.
- Sakura looks like Fujino.
- Kuzuki looks somewhat like Kurogiri.
- Tohno Shiki looked exactly like the original design for Mikiya; that was changed for the KnK movies.
- Nrvnqsr looks like Araya with shorter, gray hair.
- Akiha looks like Azaka.
- Arcuied looks like Ryougi Shiki.
- Ayako looks like Ryougi Shiki.
- Canaan looks like Ryougi Shiki.

...and hell, I know that I'm missing some other characters. I mean, I can suspend my standards when playing Umineko and go "holy ****" at several of the faces, but I can't do anything with Takeuchi's designs because they're so generic.
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #580 on: 09 April, 2011, 11:01:11 am »

Oh sorry forgot to respond to that. Yeah obviously Type-Moon designs are highly repetitive, but I've never really minded and I like the cooler ones like Dark Sakura.

Haven't actually said where I've been yet. I was in London for a few days, and right now I'm in Paris. I should be officially back sometime one Tuesday, I've been posting from my phone recently when I'm not busy.

Anyway, I wasn't busy today so I decided to seek out a manga shop and other stuff along the way. It's unbelievable how much manga there was, there's probably more that was officially translated into French in that store than even exists officially translated into English. Also I knocked down a tower of boxes of figures and stuff. Anyways I bought a Revoltech Gurren Lagann so it was cool, French weeaboos are pretty chill.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #581 on: 09 April, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »

The last time I went on vacation was when I was five years old.

I still hate you so much.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #582 on: 09 April, 2011, 12:45:03 pm »

Maniac's dream vacation.

Moving to the next city over.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #583 on: 09 April, 2011, 12:47:59 pm »

Moving into my university's campus in the next county over will be my equivalent of someone else going to every other country in the world.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #584 on: 09 April, 2011, 12:54:36 pm »

Moving into my university's campus in the next county over will be my equivalent of someone else going to every other country in the world.
Severing that taproot's probably going to be hard, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 76   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: