Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 05:51:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's top 25 metal albums! (With links and maybe writeups)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's top 25 metal albums! (With links and maybe writeups)  (Read 3049 times)
Maniac234678
« Reply #60 on: 12 April, 2011, 03:47:39 am »

You guys should have searched for this quote:

Quote from: Me
Herrschaft's Tesla is still the best album in the history of ever.

I'll pull up the source:

Herrschaft's Tesla is still the best album in the history of ever.

Well, that was not quite true, but then again, even I acknowledged that. There's a bit that I chopped out. Half of it was related to Umineko bull****, but one part was fairly vital.

Herrschaft's Tesla is still the best album in the history of ever. Except maybe for Grave New World by Soulfallen.

1. Grave New World - Soulfallen

We Are The Sand: http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=wiZ7rNHi9mk
A Hearse With No Name: http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=wjznRlXFq5I
Grave New World: http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=xkTdmJ47JUQ

Every other song on this album

Actually, this is this band's sophomore effort; I have never listened to their first album, and I am pure scum for never doing this. Given the place of Grave New World, one can only speculate where that would fit.

However, this is Grave New World. Oh man, there are no words for this, but I'll try to cobble up a description befitting of this album. Of course, I have an extremely heavy bias towards Forget Me Not, and if an album manages to triumph over it, all the more credit to it. This album transcends amazing, excellent or pretty much any other extremely positive descriptor. Grave New World simply is. This is probably the heaviest melodeath album on this list, likely drawing from the black metal influences that it wears on its shirt; with force alone, this album is already staggeringly powerful. But obviously, it doesn't rely solely on this to create the final product, it brings in the very best melodies in the entirety of metal. Yes, I'm making such a boast. This band destroys every other competitor in this regard, including pretty much every effort from amazing bands like Dark Lunacy, Insomnium and Novembre. These melodies don't merely cause me to react; they cause me to tremble; in spite of how incredibly melancholic this album is (if Materia and Devoid are "dark," this is a black hole), Grave New World is incredibly, overwhelmingly powerful. I have never encountered an album that can plow right through me as well as this majestic release.

You know what? I have a better summary than this. This album reminds me of my favorite song ever, Lyfthrasyr's Bloodlust. It's like this entire album is entirely comprised of Bloodlust, except even better. Actually, I'm sorry; I called this a majestic release. This is not merely a "majestic release;" it's more radiant than Rigel and it's bigger than VY Canis Majoris. This is an effort of galactic proportions.

There you go. Maniac's 25 top metal albums. Cue the laughter, I actually finished a list, and with a ridiculous simile no less.
« Last Edit: 12 April, 2011, 03:49:56 am by Lord and Savior » Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #61 on: 12 April, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »

Quite good. I like it a lot.

This has been fun. It's given me a lot to look into.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

Mood: Happy

« Reply #62 on: 12 April, 2011, 08:38:36 pm »

I'LL GET AROUND TO LISTENING TO SOME OF THESE SOMETIME. ALSO, THIS HAS INSPIRED ME TO TRY TO THINK OF MY 25 TOP ALBUMS AND MAKE A TOPIC LIKE THIS, SO LOOK FORWARD TO POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU HATE EVERYTHING I LIKE.
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Local Mod
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #63 on: 12 April, 2011, 08:46:34 pm »

I'LL GET AROUND TO LISTENING TO SOME OF THESE SOMETIME. ALSO, THIS HAS INSPIRED ME TO TRY TO THINK OF MY 25 TOP ALBUMS AND MAKE A TOPIC LIKE THIS, SO LOOK FORWARD TO POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU HATE EVERYTHING I LIKE.

*Awaits*
Report Spam   Logged

TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #64 on: 12 April, 2011, 08:47:56 pm »

DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH. IT'LL PROBABLY BE A WHILE BEFORE I DO IT OLO.
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Local Mod
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #65 on: 12 April, 2011, 08:48:45 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #66 on: 12 April, 2011, 09:05:12 pm »

*Awaits*
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Maniac234678
« Reply #67 on: 16 April, 2011, 05:15:21 am »

Random, if you were to take the bands on this list and rearrange them, how would they be ranked?
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #68 on: 17 April, 2011, 02:11:27 pm »

Hmmm... I don't feel like it would be too different. I generally agree with how you've ranked it, or at least I felt like each album was better than the last for the most part. I think if I were to do it, all of the power metal would shift toward the top while a lot of the melodeath would shift downward. Specifically, I would move both Persuader albums towards the top.

If that's not what you meant, let me know. Feeling a bit all over the place today.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #69 on: 21 April, 2011, 05:35:31 am »

I was more curious about exact placements, but then again, I'm sure most of these albums would mold together to form a "pretty good, but no emotional investment" tier. I do have a better way to approach this question, though: which 5 or 10 albums on this list are your favorites?
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #70 on: 24 April, 2011, 11:03:41 pm »

Evolution Purgatory
When Eden Burns
Legend of the Bone Carver
Grave New World
A Flame to the Ground Beneath
Tesla
Immortal

These are the ones that stood out to me. Which is to say, when I went back through the list, I remembered what each of these sounded like. Ranked them in rough order.
Report Spam   Logged

TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #71 on: 06 July, 2016, 11:23:32 pm »

so what has changed
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #72 on: 07 July, 2016, 12:18:36 am »

Virtually everything. This list is pretty god damn embarrassing.

Of all of these albums, the only ones I still regularly listen to are Tesla, Grave New World and Undead. I'll occasionally listen to a few others like the Insomnium albums, The Blue and A Flame to the Ground Beneath. I don't listen to Pyramaze or Dark Lunacy anymore, period. Hell, I make fun of Pyramaze these days, especially after that aggressively mediocre release last year. I'll play a Persuader song every now and then, and usually only like, 4 specific tracks. There's way too much mediocre melodeath on here, like Stormlord, D Creation and Mercenary. This list is basically just a messy conglomeration of mistakes of youth, so it's pretty amusing in retrospect that I used to be so hostile towards everyone who ever went "meh" to all the genuinely mediocre stuff I aggressively pushed as the best things ever.

Honestly, as much as I talk about music, I usually tend to listen to the same things over and over, and the diversity of music I listen to isn't very broad. Even with bands that I actually like, I often have huge gaping holes in their discography: never heard the other Lost Horizon album, never heard the first two Insomnium albums, only heard one other Tad Morose album, etc. As these write-ups probably revealed, I'm not particularly analytical when it comes to music beyond simple blurbs that ultimately describe very little to someone who has never heard that music before (and in general, I'm pretty bad at describing things I like unless they're absolutely superlative). I would dare say -- and this list is proof -- that I don't feel like I have the "maturity" to actually compile a good "best albums ever" list, or one that could possibly come anywhere close to satisfying me at least. This topic should have just been "hey, here's a bunch of stuff that Maniac thinks is cool right now and that you've probably never heard of before", because that's essentially what it was.

Also, I don't listen to as much metal anymore, so there's that.
« Last Edit: 07 July, 2016, 12:20:19 am by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #73 on: 07 July, 2016, 08:16:43 am »

the other lost horizon album is pretty ok and i'm listening to insomnium stuff right now

Also, I don't listen to as much metal anymore, so there's that.
What sorts of things do you listen to instead?
Report Spam   Logged

TBizzle
THE GALACTIC PIMP
BIZZLE
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #74 on: 07 July, 2016, 04:27:39 pm »

shoutacore
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: