Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 06:59:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

DayZ - zombie apocalypse simulator (Arma 2 mod)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DayZ - zombie apocalypse simulator (Arma 2 mod)  (Read 129 times)
Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« on: 08 May, 2012, 09:59:37 am »

Quote from: Guy from NeoGAF
1) Zombies. They are fast, a la 28 Days later, and tough to hit as they sometimes charge in a zig-zag pattern. Still, they are manageable unless you’re surrounded, or out of ammo. The starting weapon (junky pistol) is not good…better to avoid them if that is all you have. Gunshots, especially from rifles, will attract them. Traveling at night is the trickiest; you have to frequently stop, look, and listen, and slowly thread your way between them Solid Snake or Splinter Cell style. Much like STALKER: COP, the mod takes into account how loud or visible you are, so crouching/crawling and walking (not running) with care can usually get you around a few zombies. But it can be super scary to slowly clear corners in a desolate farm village, especially in the dark!

2) Other players (usually 40-50 per server). Some are friendly or at least not hostile. Many will group with you for shared protection. However, there are a fair number of murderers, many armed with sniper rifles they have found or stolen. They may kill you for your food/gear or just to be mean. If you are super sneaky you can avoid them, but if you waltz down the main street of the more popular urban areas, especially in daytime (or dropping flares/glowsticks if at night), then you are asking for it. Players of all types tend to congregate near the starting zones along the coast, or in the towns/cities immediately nearby. The more successful survivors make their way far inland, away from the crowds, often to the military airfield, where high-grade weapons can be found. Of course, the airfield usually turns into a battleground. I printed out one of the uber-sized Chernarus maps found online to aid with navigation.

3) Wounds/healing/respawn: Wounds are roughly as serious as in real life, which forces you to behave accordingly. You can take a few quick hits from a zombie, but more serious zombie attacks, let alone gunshot wounds, will see you die from blood loss within minutes if not instantly. You can also suffer broken bones. Bandages and painkillers are available, even blood transfusions (apparently) if you can make it to a hospital which has not been looted. If you die, you drop all the gear you’ve acquired and spawn a new character at a random spot along the southern coastline. So while there are not levels or XP per se, losing hard-won gear is painful. This also means that death can separate you from your co-op group, if you have one, by miles!

4) Hunger/Thirst: This is a bear. Hunger and thirst accrue, and more quickly than in real life. If not addressed, you will get shaky, blurred vision, and ultimately barely able to crawl. Cans of food are scare, which leads to a lot of competition. You can hunt and kill animals and cook them, but I have never managed to do that. Water is easily refilled. Both accrue (slowly) when you are offline, which I think is a bit much....

5) Day/Night: The game includes a full day/night cycle, which (controversially among some in the community) is tied to the REAL LIFE cycle for wherever the server is located. So when I (Central Texas) connect to a server in Dallas, or NYC, at 9pm, it is going to be dark the whole time I play. You will find road flares, chem glow sticks, and flashlights. You can make campfires too. However, light (obviously) draws all sorts of attention…..

6) When you log out, your character is saved and remains with his gear and same location the next time you log in.

There are also cars which you can repair and us, boats, and, apparently, a helicopter or two, but unlike others on this thread I have not seen one yet.

So what’s the big deal? Another zombie game, “Woot.” Well, the sense of immersion and hence tension offered by this mod is what makes it memorable. The sound in particular is outstanding. In fact, when playing at night you need to wear headphones or else crank your speakers, less you miss tell-tale cues that a threat is near. The closest approximation would be STALKER (w/ complete mod) but Arma’s world is MANY times larger and more realistic. The environment, combined with the realistic injury model and the high stakes of dying, will leave your heart pounding. It is awesome and I hope they don’t nerf the experience any time soon!

The core elements are: sneak, shoot only when necessary, scavenge, and try to find allies (or not). There is not much more depth to it than that, but the core experience can approach holodeck levels of immersion. The element of “who do I trust” in particular adds an amazing layer of stress to the game. Will this dude shoot me in the back as we creep along? I have not suffered any dramatic betrayals but they can and do happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBja0TiKcXk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHV47hyTcg&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNNunlKigQ&feature=relmfu
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »

Oh. More zombies. Whoop-de-doo.
Report Spam   Logged

Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:16:48 pm »

Muggle games must all look the same to a wizard.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2012, 02:46:39 pm »

Its probably the same predicament with comics. Films and television too I'd bet.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2012, 10:28:57 am »

Most likely.

Also, someone's experience with this game:

My friend and I headed all the way north to the north-west airfield through the middle of the night with off and on rain. The journey there was brutal and kept us on our toes at every minute. We found a lot of supplies along the way in a town with a department store where we stashed up on food and water and kept heading north. We finally make it to the airfield only to find it ridden with corpses of soldiers and zombies roaming around. Working our way towards the hangars to check out if there are any supplies my friend and I get called out in chat, some guy saw us from a fire station in the area. The guy tells us he is friendly and needs food because he is in bad health. Out of the both of us we only have 1 can of beans and could not spare giving food to him. Now came the decision to give him the can of beans or just tell him we don't have any to spare and take the risk that he will shoot us for them.

The guy throws a flare from the fire station and proceeds to run out to meet us. While he is doing that my friend and I are dodging zombies and discussing what we should do with this guy. My friend is not sold on this guy being friendly and tells me to keep my gun up on him at all times, so I did. We move in on him and see that he is holding a AK, which is a much better gun than what we currently had. Seeing that he had a AK and a bigger backpack sparked the idea of killing this guy for his gear.

While all 3 of us were moving in on each other my friend runs into a zombie, his vision was blurry from blood loss or some wound he got on the way there, which alerted a massive horde that over ran us on the air strip. We are fighting off zombies while also keeping a eye on the guy to be sure he doesn't shoot us. Able to survive the zombie horde we started looting corpses and still contemplating on killing the guy for his gear. I was ready to give the guy beans and gain a new buddy to travel with us when my friend takes 2 shots and kills the guy without any warning. Obviously the guy was furious and yelling at us in chat, he was not a happy camper.

After looting his gear we start making our way to the fire station where the guy was held up to check if he left anything of value there, he did. We found a dead body of a player in the fire station that the guy we just met must have killed. We had no idea what his intentions were and he didn't know ours. That is the magic of this mod, the player interaction that leads to the craziest scenarios that could mean life or death for your character and the hours you spend surviving being diminished with a single bullet or a zombie horde. I love it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: