Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 12:04:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

SA2's Gaming Blog Topic

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SA2's Gaming Blog Topic  (Read 4239 times)
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« on: 04 July, 2013, 07:03:44 pm »

So because I felt like it (and for a long time I’m gonna be building up to something), I’m gonna talk about my experiences with Hyperdimension Neptunia. Oh also, that picture up above is the unedited picture of the same one on the game case, not sure how many countries had it modified. Figured I’d do this for a certain someone. I KNOW YOU’RE THERE. I SEE YOU. The series already has 3 games (yes, 3 games) & there’s gonna be an anime of it in a little while. The game’s like 3-4 years old & I got it day 1. Just to say it straight, I got this game for two reasons:

1. After hearing about it from somewhere (can’t remember where), I was interested by the premise.
2. It was an RPG (Expect to see this a lot)

Of the three games, the first isn’t liked very much compared to the other two. Aside from a few issues it had, the gameplay in general was just really generic; there really isn’t much to say about it. Most people mainly just liked the characters & dialogue of the game, and I would also be one of those people. Also liked the opening too.

Might as well talk about the plot since I don’t have much to say: It’s basically about the console wars, except those consoles are in the form of girls, or well, goddesses (don’t judge me).

The main character is Neptune, who represents the Sega Neptune, a console that was never released. She’s pretty laidback & fun-personified in her normal form but all the representatives have some ability called HDD to transform, getting high-tech armor, matching the console they represent a little more, etc. http://www.notcliche.com/lbw/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/hyperdimension-neptunia-009.jpg (yeah, that’s the same person in both forms, it’s the best of both worlds)

The PS3 rep is Noire, who’s a workaholic & has the tsundere archetype (aside from Neptune, she’s also the most popular of the other three). The Wii rep is Blanc, who’s a foul-mouthed, reserved little girl with anger issues. The Xbox rep is Vert, a buxom, graceful girl who spends most of her time gaming. That’s also in the order that you visit their places (which is the same in the first & third game), those places being Lastation, Lowee, & Leanbox (not sure why they all start with ‘L’, apparently there’s a joke I’m missing).

So yeah, at the start the four are fighting in some random place in the sky & the others gang up on Neptune, who gets beat up, falls out the sky & lands in Planeptune, and then loses her memory. She meets IF (Idea Factory) & Compa (Compile Heart) and you just have those three for most of the game. There are Gust & Nisa, but you have to see all their optional scenes & do some things to have them join. The game has a lot of subtle jokes like how Lastation has a whole bunch of industrial factories and is kinda barren because PS3 didn’t have many games when it first came out. They also tend to break the 4th wall or be genre savvy at times, Neptune in particular. So you run through small dungeons to get to the other towns & it doesn’t have random encounters, the monsters are just wondering around the dungeons themselves. The game is kinda linear, and not really that long.

One of the main issues in the game was the healing system in general. Aside from needing the right ingredients on you to use specific healing skills, you need to set the percentage that the character will do it only after they’ve been hit e.g A heal that gives back 50% health has a chance of automatically activating 70% of the time if their health falls below a certain amount. I think the percentage you get is determined by level, can’t remember exactly. Why is that such a problem? Using one example I actually experienced, in one of the early dungeons, IF got KO’d by some miniboss in a dungeon. While the game auto-revives her after a fight, I can’t heal her except in fights after she gets hit & she got revived with like 5-10% health. Every time an enemy hit her, she got KO’d again, and they loved targeting her so it kept happening till I finished the dungeon. Just in general, having a healing system based on chance is stupid in the first place.

So the main villain is some pale-skinned goth chick called Arfoire (R4, GET IT?) so Neptune tries to get the other three goddesses to team up and fight against piracy, that’s the main theme of the game. It’s also one of the RPG’s I’ve played that required barely any grinding at all. Levels are pretty much handed to you as long as you’re not skipping every enemy. It also has difficulty levels, but the only difference is that on easy, everyone does half damage (you included), and on hard everyone deals double damage (again, you included), but the game is pretty damn easy regardless due to a certain infamous move that Neptune even references in later games. Unfortunately, you can’t get the other three goddesses until right before the final dungeon because their towns are under attack by whatever the hell Arfoire is doing and you gotta convince them to join by beating the shit out of them in typical RPG fashion. But to challenge them, you have to get their ‘shares’ up to around 40% if I remember right, which requires doing specific quests which transfer shares from one area to another. Yeah, it’s a long & tedious process. Once you get enough you just go visit them. Also, I love White Heart’s theme, it’s pretty catchy. http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=hiCN-Mxo0oY

Also, you have to fight them solo as Neptune & beat them 1-on-1 to have them join. You can fight Arfoire without the other three goddesses; you just need them for the True Ending. But one thing that makes the game so easy is that Neptune learns a certain move called ‘Neptune Break’ somewhere halfway into the game (I think it’s around level 25). The move is absurdly overpowered, can pretty much be used almost every turn, and it hits every enemy on the map. I don’t even think Neptune needs to be in HDD form to use it either, so there’s no reason not to spam it as much as possible and end fights quick. With the things you have to do to actually fight the True Final Boss, I remember it being no match at all. Not to mention once I got the other goddesses & saw their stats were vastly better than IF & Compa, they got quickly replaced by Noire (whose power is comparable to Neptune) & Blanc (who can tank attacks much easier than other characters). I would’ve had Vert too but in the first game you only had a main party of 3 & I didn’t like her fighting style much. But what the final boss could do didn’t matter very much when I just charged in there with level 90+ characters & started spamming supers with all three of them. The fight pretty much went:

“Alright, I’m a big-ass motherfucking dragon, and I get far stronger when my health is below 50%, I get multiple turns and-“

“Nope, I got Neptune Break. Stay free.”

And so I stomped & stopped piracy for good. The End.
« Last Edit: 04 July, 2013, 07:06:15 pm by Peac0ck » Report Spam   Logged

~SA2

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: