Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 10:07:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

SA2's Gaming Blog Topic

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SA2's Gaming Blog Topic  (Read 4234 times)
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« Reply #15 on: 07 July, 2013, 12:11:59 pm »

So the sequel was called Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, and it pretty much rebooted the series by retconing the True Ending & shifted the focus to four other characters. I also bought this on day 1 (Don’t judge me). There’s Nepgear, who represents the Sega Game Gear & is just as pure-hearted and kind as she looks, Uni who represents the PSP & is tsundere-lite while having an inferiority complex compared to her sister, then there’s Rom & Ram who represent the DS, the blue one is innocent & shy, the red is a troublemaker. It’s funny because one of the complaints in some of the reviews for the first game was that some of the girls were a little young, and so they shift the focus to girls that are younger. Nice. This obviously isn’t the kind of cover you can actually show to people though, not that the first game’s cover was that great. At least with the first game, I could make some excuse if a friend or someone saw it (the edited cover, at least), this one’s a lot more questionable.

So early on, the original 4 are fighting some chick called CFW Magic who beats them; along with Nepgear and holds them captive using tentacles (well of course). So IF & Compa show up to save them, only have time to get Nepgear out due to some robot called CFW Judge showing up who no sells Nepgear’s super move so they’re forced to run. Unlike in the first game, Nisa & Gust do join naturally early on. There’s also 5pb who’s some idol who fights with a guitar, so yeah, she’s good though. I also dun goofed when I said the first game didn’t have random encounters. I was thinking of this game when I said monsters just wondered around the dungeon map. Anyway, the CFWs are trying to bring back Arfiore somehow, and the gist of the game is going around the other towns, fighting bosses & convincing the other CPU candidates to join to save their sisters, I don’t actually remember very much of the plot. Unlike the first game, the battle system is actually rather good, and so I’ll barely mention what’s good about it whatsoever in the next few paragraphs. I guess I’d compare the movement in battle to games like Disgaea, but that’s a bit of a stretch. I also really liked the battle theme.

Unfortunately, HDD is almost useless in the second game. It costs like 100 SP just to transform (which you gain from doing attacks in normal battles) & I think it naturally consumed 20 SP every turn, can’t remember exactly but the cost wasn’t worth it when super moves also required the SP. The damage increase from using HDD was barely even noticeable too, if I have to take notes on how much more damage I’m actually doing since the boost isn’t much then there’s something wrong. There was this lily rank system introduced too, where you partner up characters in the back row with ones in the front to use special skills, create specific items etc. As I just mentioned, there’s a synthesis shop too to make items, weapons & armor you can’t buy & some require getting a high affection rate with another character which can be done by just partnering them up.

There’s tons of different endings in this game depending on getting Nepgear’s lily ranks above 5 with certain characters, those being the Normal ending which meets no special requirements, Planeptune ending (having Neptune’s lily rank with Nepgear being over 5 as well as the highest which obviously shouldn’t be very hard + having 70% shares), Lastation ending (Having Noire & Uni being over 5 & the highest plus Lastation having 70% shares), Lowee ending (Blanc, Rom & Ram), Leanbox (just having Vert as the highest), human ending (IF, Compa, Nisa, Gust & 5pb), the True Ending (requiring everyone’s lily rank being above 4 & all four places having global shares over 15% while Arfiore’s global shares being below 40%) and the one ending almost every fan seems to hate, the Conquest ending (which takes the longest to set-up and is best to do early since it gives Nepgear one of the best swords in the game. Didn’t even know she could use the sword till I saw it in my inventory hours later, thought it was purely a plot weapon). There are many events with characters towards the end of the game that make it a lot easier to increase Nepgear’s lily rank with other characters.

One annoying thing regarding shares is that the quests don’t split them equally, for instance, there’s many more quests which take shares from certain cities in Lastation and give it to Planeptune, but little to no quests to transfer those shares back. Due to a few S-rank quests that had this and had outfits as rewards, I nearly got screwed over trying to go for the Lastation ending. Fortunately I knew to keep multiple saves when playing RPG’s so I could load a file from an hour earlier to get the ending. Oh, and like in the original game, you don’t get the goddesses back till like ¾’s into the game after going back and fighting CFW Magic again, and though it’s supposed to be a hopeless boss fight, it’s still possible to win but the reward isn’t worth it. But she’s beaten in a cutscene after when the original 4 are freed, then Neptune naturally joins but the other 3 require getting their main city’s shares over 50% before joining. Getting characters anywhere near level 99 takes ages compared to the first game, hell, there was a free dlc which opened up three islands that had stronger enemies that gave far more xp than any others & it still took like 6-7 hours grinding there. It was mainly to fight the strongest boss in the game, that’s an arena fight in a coliseum you unlock towards the end of the game.

During grinding my main party became Nepgear, Neptune, Noire & Blanc, and while the original 4 had superior stats to other characters, they barely had any special moves. But I have no loyalty to characters I use for most of the game, if others have better stats; you’re going in the back. This game also has a broken super just like the original had with Neptune Break, but Neptune Break isn’t in this one (a free dlc later did apparently give the original goddesses more special moves later on but I was completely done with the game by then). It’s a special move called Violet Shwestern

I deliberately chose the non-HDD version. Those angles are far more blatant in the third game. The move requires seeing a few events between Neptune & Nepgear in Planeptune to learn the move but those events aren’t hard to miss, then they have to be partnered up. When Nepgear is the one using the move, it’s not that great since its only 5 hits and there’s a damage break limit of 9999. Nepgear’s innate ability for having her as a character’s partner is to allow that character to go above 9999 in a single hit. So at high levels, with Neptune using the move with Nepgear as her partner, I was regularly doing 300,000+ damage at like level 80. When I fought Delphinus, the strongest boss in the game, I had IF use 2 items on Neptune that gave her 200 SP then used the move twice. I won the battle in under a minute. Everybody was level 99 and he was the last guy right before I fought the final boss on the true ending path but still, and it’s obvious what happened.

“Alright, I’m back to fuck shit up as the final boss. I’ve got many strong AoE moves; I get stronger when low on health, I’ve got a second monstrous form where I become a motherfucking beast from the fifth dimension, I also get-“

“Nope. I got Violet Shwestren. Stay free.”

And so I stomped, yet again. The End.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: