Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 06:22:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

SA2's Gaming Blog Topic

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SA2's Gaming Blog Topic  (Read 4228 times)
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« on: 10 June, 2013, 08:32:16 am »

I may as well call it that since I need a reason to post slightly more, so I wanna do it by talking (or b*tching) about games I played a while ago or currently
« Last Edit: 08 July, 2014, 09:47:26 am by Satsuki Kiryuin » Report Spam   Logged

~SA2

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2013, 10:21:32 am »

*sets up chair*
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy

Yare yare daze

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2013, 12:18:14 pm »

*Powerslides in and kicks down chair*

Excellent!
Report Spam   Logged

Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2013, 04:42:23 am »

I’ll come right out and say one of the reasons for making this was to throw more shit at Devil May Cry 2. I didn’t play any Devil May Cry game till I got the DMC Collection on a whim, partially due to DSP playing DMC 1. Now I heard for ages how bad DMC 2 was and how everyone rags on it but I paid it no mind. There were numerous times where fans of a series would talk shit about a game I somewhat liked. One being the second Tales of Symphonia game (not for the story, mind you), it wasn’t that great but I didn’t hate it either. There’s Disgaea 3, where many fans seem to hate it for some reason yet praise Disgaea 4 which simply added a few extra things good things, but also changed some decent things and made them stupid due to relying more on RNG (Random number generator). There’s also Sonic Unleashed, which I loved, but hate on that is debatable (and mostly the cause of the Werehog).

So yeah, I figured it was gonna be like, “The game isn’t that great, but its not horrible.”, sadly, it was one of the few times I couldn’t find any decent enjoyment in a game. This game, man, where do I start. First of all, the story is the most nonsensical of the 3 games (though that’s not saying much), half of the enemies have the most retarded names (Agonofinis? Yet that’s one of the more simple ones), Dante has the personality of a cardboard box, the combat is even more barebones than the combat in DMC 1, and you’ll use guns more than your sword, sometimes they’ll enforce it too. It started off okay, not too shitty for the first few levels but as soon as I got to the city levels it plummeted far below average. Well the boss before that level was stupid but whatever. City level was meh till it got to the tanks then it became stupid.

Having to stand in front of an infected tank (How does that even work?) and mash away because it has multiple health bars and there’s several of them. This game, man, I can’t believe it. Next you fight an infected chopper as a boss, it has more than 1 health bar, and since it’s a chopper you have to shoot it down. Twice. I still can’t believe this game. Then comes another boss after with numerous health bars since that’s a running theme here. One later level has some weak butterfly boss with a bunch of stupid larva worm enemies, once you easily deal with the boss you gotta kill the annoying worms that continuously spawn for another minute and try to eat you at every opportunity, which is more annoying than anything. This game, man. Also, that level and many others contain blue orbs you have to light up by hitting them continuously, its harder than it should be to do this if you’re using lock-on, which is on by default and turned off by holding a button. This game hurts so bad.

There’s one mini-boss(?) where you’re circling round the room with some blue red orb that generates electricity and have to do jumping slashes to break a bunch of crystals. Wow, this game. One mission a little later has you running around some town finding 4 blue orbs to light up and one’s placed in a dumb spot (part of my hate for those orbs came from that). This game. Having to fight a boss underwater with Lucia who can regularly turn invisible so you can’t lock-on, and you have no dodge underwater. Just tank hits and hope you win. This game. One of the last bosses are three floating heads that move around throwing projectiles while all you can do is shoot at them. Really. This was unbearable on DMD (yes, I stomached it that long) They have even more health and constantly spam projectiles there, most of the fight was just me doing cartwheels around the platform.THIS. GAME.

Arius’ boss fight has two stupid Secretary minions who you can barely kill since they have priority over most normal attacks. dis gaem. I will say Dante’s one-liner (probably his only one) after beating him was nice, but enough of that. Final boss was okay. Bloody Palace is boring as shit and sometimes features fights more annoying than what’s in the main game, like having a room of pyromancers and those humanoid goats = 5 minutes of cart wheels. A room of wolves that do nothing but spam spiral arrow = Endless frustration. So yeah, one of the worst games I played last year (around Christmas too).
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2013, 12:47:30 pm »

This topic has already reached my expectations.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy

Yare yare daze

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2013, 01:36:24 pm »

dat gaem, mang
Report Spam   Logged

Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2013, 09:10:13 pm »

DMC2 is the only DMC game I haven't played. Glad I skipped it.

I also saw DSP up there. I hate to be off-topic, but since you watch him, I want to leave you with this if you haven't seen it already:
htt p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSH39aiTx2A

And this.
htt p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCent_2q7ZE
Report Spam   Logged
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2013, 09:25:50 am »

DMC2 is the only DMC game I haven't played. Glad I skipped it.

I also saw DSP up there. I hate to be off-topic, but since you watch him, I want to leave you with this if you haven't seen it already:
htt p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSH39aiTx2A

And this.
htt p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCent_2q7ZE
Already saw the first ages ago when it was recent, as well as the MGS3 one. Hadn't seen that second link though, the music was a nice touch
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »

So I wanna talk about Sonic Unleashed, a game that’s like 4 years old but I don’t give a shit. I’ll say it straight up, I fucking love this game. The music (well that’s to be expected), the levels (debatable), etc. (ran out of things to mention) Coming off the previously god-awful Sonic ’06, but hate’s divided on Unleashed. Talking about the superior 360/PS3 version here btw. There were many complaints: The game is “Boost to Win” (and that mentality gets you killed easily in later levels), how the hub worlds are bad (even though they’re small and there’s only 1 point where you have to talk to people, it’s pretty early on too), how you have to collect medals to proceed (which is a legitimate point), or the Werehog in general.

There might also be the level up system like an RPG but I don’t hear very many even bring that up, but it was more reasonable than Sonic and the Secret Rings. The only Sonic stats that needed levelling were speed and ring energy, so he started off pretty good, on the other hand Werehog started off weak with low health, barely any combos to start with, his power up mode to unleash the beast was small, etc. Most of the levelling is spent getting the Werehog form up to speed. Honestly the only issue I really had with the Werehog levels is that he doesn’t move that fast, unlike the power characters in Sonic Heroes. Also, his levels are too long compared to Sonics. A Sonic level will take around 4-5 minutes first time while a Werehog level will take 15. I just considered the combat average. Not horrible, not great, just average, because I’ve played far worse (before DMC2) and Werehog gets better as he levels up. 

The Werehog levels can be somewhat hard if you don’t take the time to level up, which I did as soon as they let me do hot dog missions after Sonic’s second level. They basically just have you going through levels doing 3 different objectives for Sonic: Collect rings, kill a certain amount of enemies, or finish within a time limit (these normally require using the best shortcuts). Doing the hot dog missions after every level really helps, especially for the last few levels. One annoying thing on later playthrough is that there’s someone in one continent to tell you which area the next level is available in. Even if you know what level is next, you usually can’t do it until you talk to him first.

Also, having to collect tons of sun and moon medals during both Sonic and Werehog’s levels, boss fights and hubs was pretty stupid. They also went to ridiculous lengths by having the requirement to play Sonic’s final mandatory level, be 120 sun medals (out of 200) while the Werehog’s is 100. Tons of people had a problem with that and rightfully so. I was aware of the medal requirement ahead of time and was constantly collecting medals during the game, by the time it came to the Adabat levels (last unlock), I think I had around 130 sun medals, and I had collected a majority of the ones in main levels, hubs & boss fights. But moving on, I loved the Sonic levels just like most people, but unlike most people my favorite Sonic level wasn’t Spagonia (shocking, I know). Honestly, my 3 favorite levels were:

Adabat

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=UWsXqDM_xGM

Also liked Act 3 of that since it was all about reflexes (if you’re speeding through, which is expected)

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=XjlIBlWGnXc

Shamar

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=mSidhvcFVBo

And Eggmanland (yes, really). Eggmanland had a big difficulty spike compared to the likes of Adabat, Shamar & Empire City. So big that they start leaving extra lives regularly 1/3 into the level just so you don’t continuously see the game over screen. It’s a ridiculously long level, and there’s death-traps all over the place. There’s also 3 hot dog time trail missions for it too, but that’s not the problem, completing the level 3 times without dying is. A first run would take between 35 minutes-1 hour. These days I can run through it in around 15 minutes. Once I eventually got used to it, I learned to really like the level once I could speed through it without dying.

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=Dm0VQjAFDFg
http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=8kDQYeip80I
http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=g2JxhpuQGcs

Oh, there’s also one infamous side mission in Shamar worth mentioning since its far harder than others. For ages the thing stopping me doing it was the wall running section before the end.

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=SMXB0Gl9WQI
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #9 on: 23 June, 2013, 01:15:52 am »

#takingnotesfromMM, I'm totally original, pleasedon'tsue

So with the new (and possibly last?) story DLC coming out for Borderlands 2 next week, I may as well talk about memories I have some form of recollection from. This last one is focused on Tiny Tina who seems to be getting quite a bit of attention, that’s not to say I don’t like her (nor is it a surprise that a lot of people like her), just pointing it out. Since I have the season pass which I bought during a sale, I’ll get it free anyway. For the 6 or so people that read this, if you haven’t played Borderlands 2 by this point, why the fuck not? It’s pretty damn cheap at this point. So I’ll start by saying when I started I chose Zero.

1. Because getting his action skill trophy required getting to at least level 31
2. I liked his look + the siren wasn’t as broken as in the first game at high levels

I did like that it had an actual story and villain (who was trying way too hard at times), and the whole badass token system until overtime I realized the tiny stat boosts are barely worth anything (I had over 20,000 points by the 3rd DLC), but I’m a collector so I did as many of the challenges as I could though some were ridiculous/absurd to do above completing level 1 (Jimmy Jenkins easily being the biggest offender). It’s always kinda irked me that you can’t have 4 different weapons to pull out your ass at any time till like a third into the game which you get the upgrade. I had no qualms finishing the first game, thought it was pretty damn easy if you weren’t rushing, not sure if it was due to the siren skills or not. The only truly hard section was Sledge’s warehouse/clubhouse/apartment/whatever because it was all enclosed and had an explosive barrel around every corner which killed me more than the actual enemies did.

In the end the 4 types of weapons I usually carried around were: An SMG (that anarchy gun), a machine gun, a sniper rifle & a shotgun. I rarely had to use more than an SMG, due to Lilith being a beast with SMG’s, it helps that I fucking love SMG’s too (imagine my dissapointment when I discovered The Bane really was cursed). Anyway, getting back to Borderlands 2, my 4 weapons ended up being an SMG, a machine gun (eventually got replaced and became a shotgun slot), a sniper rifle (which I used a lot more due to it being one of Zero’s strengths), and a rocket launcher (which became permanent due to cheap deaths which I’ll get to). Like with the first game, I would always do the side missions first before continuing, for the levels and nice potential weaponry since that gives you the advantage, but in the first game a level difference of 2 meant curbstomping hard or getting curbstomped, here levels barely seem to matter.

Even if I was 3-4 levels higher, it would seem like the enemies were on a even playing field. If I was 5 higher, then I had a clear advantage. For most of the game though I was fine, I only had issues with Wilhelm and his gang since I came unprepared and only got through because I had recently picked up a rocket launcher that did 5000+ damage, stood in his face and kept firing till I won. Aside from that it was smooth sailing, bear in mind I’m doing all this solo since it’s easy to get paired with assholes online that steal your loot etc. Towards the end, the enemies were starting to do ridiculous damage, knocking my shield down in 5-6 hits kind of damage. I mean, sure, I loved using the sniper rifles over the course of the game (especially one specific rifle which talked every time I got a headshot), but I don’t wanna be forced into staying away because I get downed so quickly.

The last area was where this got to ridiculous standards where around 2-3 shots would either knock off my shield or down me immediately, forcing me to go through the last area like a pussy, making enemies spawn then run a mile away and snipe them from a distance, like I’m playing Uncharted 1 on Crushing. When Brick and Mordecaishowed up to help, I sat behind a wall and watched Brick clean house because a bunch of robots & turrets were aiming at my wall (since I’m still playing solo) & if I poked my head up for longer than 2 seconds, the shield would likely have immediately depleted. The cheapassbadass Constructor at the end was worse, had to stand behind a barrier in a way that I could shoot him but it couldn’t attack back. It only got worse on True Vault Hunter Mode, which I eventually started to codename DGHM (Don’t Get Hit Mode), when for a majority of the game my weapons did little damage to most enemies and most of them were putting me in FFYL constantly, so my rocket launcher quickly became my most used weapon, aside from a powerful close range shotgun I found eventually.

I ran through most of TVHM with a Conference Call shotgun & The Bee shield (some consider that combination pretty cheap if you don’t download the patch) because most shields & weapons I was getting were rather shitty. Felt like Heaven or Hell in DMC where I either get raped fast or I dominate because I never got touched. After a certain point, I got so annoyed with the absurd damage that I started running past every enemy as long as I wasn’t required to fight them. I actually did this for most levels and managed to find some fun in just running right through most enemies & seeing how far I could get before they gun me down, and if they did, attempting to use my rocket launcher. I usually carried that close range shotgun and blasted my way through most enemies during my runs, not giving a shit about avoiding damage. The bosses were ridiculous to take down solo though, such as a certain bird. I don’t even know what the deal was; there were some sidequests I specifically chose not to do because they have weaponry which I wanted to get at level 50, but the bosses had so much health on TVHM and killed me so fast too that getting past them was technically luck.

So a while ago I come back to play the 3rd DLC with Sir Hammerlock (Just wanna say I really liked the Torgue DLC, the campaign anyway), and I found out they had increased the level cap to 61 (finally) and added a new mode: Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode. So I just had to sit there and wonder, how could this actually get harder? Is this literally Don’t Get Hit Mode? Because it would probably be more accurate. I truly don’t understand what I was doing wrong since the “best shields” were still being rather shitty as a 30000+ capacity shield would still go down in a few shots & most of my new weapons would just about barely put a dent in enemies’ armor. Always felt like I was at a disadvantage regardless of my “supposedly” better equipment that I’d end up falling back on the CC+Bee combo. I rarely see anyone say anything, so I have no idea why I had such a hard time with TVHM.

Also, they went overboard with the raid bosses, they only had Crawmerax in the 3rd DLC for BL1 (who I still think is cheap as fuck), never liked fighting him. Then they had Terramorphus built into the main game, with at least one raid boss for every DLC (Tiny Tina’s DLC will have more than one), making it worse by only allowing you to fight them once a day. “What’s that? You got scraped and lost your entire health bar? Tough shit, try again tomorrow, bitch.” Sure, you’re supposed to fight them with a group, but that makes them even stronger, i.e, ridiculously high health bar & such absurd damage that a major hit will most likely down you instantly. Plus, almost all of them have at least one AoE attack that running simply can’t avoid. What this game needs is an actual dodge button so you can evade other than running like a bitch and hoping he misses.

So yeah, tl;dr, I suck at Borderlands 2.
« Last Edit: 23 June, 2013, 01:35:28 am by Peac0ck » Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2013, 12:35:59 pm »

So I recently played Neo Contra with a friend who came round over the weekend. I wasn’t planning on doing this one but since I’ve actually played it, I might as well. I had this downloaded from PSN like 2-3 months ago, but since it took so long to download it, we never actually got a chance to play it. Recently, he had some time free & I had some time free, so he came round & and we finally booted that shit up. I didn’t touch the game after it downloaded because I’d obviously know what I was doing & what’s coming up, so that would be no fun. I had no idea what the game was like, but hey, it’s Contra. You run around, shooting the fuck out of anything that moves & blowing shit up, what’s to know? Unlike a few other Contra games I’ve played, you don’t grab gun upgrades off the floor etc. You choose your gun & weapons at the select screen & you start with 3 types (there’s 6, type 4 I personally found the best but it requires finishing level 5, type 5 & 6 require beating the final boss after stage 6).

There's:

Type A: Machine Gun, Grenade Bomb & Lock-on Missile (specific enemies require lock-on weapons)
Type B: Charge Shot, Fire Whip & Lock-on Laser
Type C: Spread Shot, Classic Fire Ball & Lock-on Thunder
Type D: Lightning, G Bazooka & Heaven’s Laser
Type E: Drill, Reflective Laser & Fairy Laser
Type F: Ripple Laser, GV Laser & Variable Weapon

We both just went with a basic one to start (Type A). We started with about 5 continues & about 5 lives each continue though we had kind of a rough start. There were only 4 levels available to choose in any order, but they were kinda long the first time through. The first two levels, we would make it through to the boss, then die halfway into the boss fight & retry from there. We’d then end up beating the boss and each have like 1-2 lives left. Then we’d either make it to a checkpoint in the next level or to the next boss & die again. Happened on the first three levels, but the boss of the third level was long and had us waste 2 continues while level 1 & 2 took one each. My friend died halfway into level 4 and I went through the rest by myself, going slow so enemies don’t get a cheap hit on me since I had 2 lives left. I did get hit once towards the very end of the level by BS, and then died on the boss (which I didn’t know was the boss till we tried the level again).

It’s also the kind of game where it increases the amount of continues you have & the amount of lives you start with every time you get a game over. When we tried again we did level’s 4 & 3 first since they were harder, and since we were somewhat used to them we used one continue on both stages and none on the first two stages. Stage 5 opened up after that but it was much harder than the previous ones & I quickly ended up on my own again and had to proceed cautiously with the tons of enemies roaming about. Since this game lets both players take each other’s lives when they have none, he joined again like a minute later when I gained a life from killing enemies, then we both went through it slowly instead of charging in like Rambo. We ended up dying to a miniboss that came up shortly when it changed its easy pattern and started spinning while firing laser beams, which of course you’d only know if you’ve seen it before.

After getting through that and eventually to the boss of the level which was far harder, some cutscenes occurred (and I wanna say, Contra games continue to have some of the more absurd stories I’ve seen) then the game ended there since we apparently didn’t have a high enough rank to reach level 6, and this was where the game got stupid. So I look this shit up on GFAQs, apparently an overall ranking of A was needed to reach level 6. Your ranking is purely determined by two things: Your kill rate (killing everything except mooks who respawn) + how many times you died (-1% for each death). To get an S rank, you can’t go below 98%, in order to get an A rank, you need at least 95% (B rank is 90-94%), so even if you killed everything in a level, if you died more than 5 times then you get a B. After a long while of trying and failing (more due to my friend dying to random things since he owns an Xbox and isn’t as used to the PS3 pad) I ended up eventually doing it solo with the Type D weapons which make speedrunning levels far easier. Lighting has wide range and insta-kills any small enemies, the bazooka while it’s a little hard to line up shots, when it hits it does ridiculous damage & can end boss fights pretty fast, and heaven’s laser is also OP as well as instantaneous so it rarely ever misses its target & comes out super-fast.

On the first four levels with that set, I got a ranking of A,S,S,A (could’ve got an S on stage 1 if not for one cheap off-screen attack that hit me), then an A on stage 5, so I no longer had to worry about stupid rankings, and there’s no drop-in, drop-out multiplayer so my friend couldn’t join in on the last level (which barely qualified as a level. I just killed some guys then fought a boss, and then level 7 was the last boss fight). By the time I reached level 5, I looked up another guide which apparently said stage 6 was available with just a B rank overall, but at that point I didn’t wanna find out. The ending felt like it was made by Gainax, then I found out the true ending requires me to get an overall ranking of S. Yeah, that shit wasn’t happening. Just completing the last stage was good enough for me.
« Last Edit: 01 July, 2013, 06:41:34 pm by Peac0ck » Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2013, 12:50:10 pm »

Pleasing read. The PS2 Contras are both pretty weird in the grand scheme of Contra but I have a soft spot for them both (Shattered Soldier a bit more.)
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »

Heard Shattered Soldier is harder. Not sure if I saw it under the PS2 classics section last time I checked though.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2013, 06:44:57 pm »

Its pretty vicious. I've never beaten it.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: 04 July, 2013, 07:03:44 pm »

So because I felt like it (and for a long time I’m gonna be building up to something), I’m gonna talk about my experiences with Hyperdimension Neptunia. Oh also, that picture up above is the unedited picture of the same one on the game case, not sure how many countries had it modified. Figured I’d do this for a certain someone. I KNOW YOU’RE THERE. I SEE YOU. The series already has 3 games (yes, 3 games) & there’s gonna be an anime of it in a little while. The game’s like 3-4 years old & I got it day 1. Just to say it straight, I got this game for two reasons:

1. After hearing about it from somewhere (can’t remember where), I was interested by the premise.
2. It was an RPG (Expect to see this a lot)

Of the three games, the first isn’t liked very much compared to the other two. Aside from a few issues it had, the gameplay in general was just really generic; there really isn’t much to say about it. Most people mainly just liked the characters & dialogue of the game, and I would also be one of those people. Also liked the opening too.

Might as well talk about the plot since I don’t have much to say: It’s basically about the console wars, except those consoles are in the form of girls, or well, goddesses (don’t judge me).

The main character is Neptune, who represents the Sega Neptune, a console that was never released. She’s pretty laidback & fun-personified in her normal form but all the representatives have some ability called HDD to transform, getting high-tech armor, matching the console they represent a little more, etc. http://www.notcliche.com/lbw/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/hyperdimension-neptunia-009.jpg (yeah, that’s the same person in both forms, it’s the best of both worlds)

The PS3 rep is Noire, who’s a workaholic & has the tsundere archetype (aside from Neptune, she’s also the most popular of the other three). The Wii rep is Blanc, who’s a foul-mouthed, reserved little girl with anger issues. The Xbox rep is Vert, a buxom, graceful girl who spends most of her time gaming. That’s also in the order that you visit their places (which is the same in the first & third game), those places being Lastation, Lowee, & Leanbox (not sure why they all start with ‘L’, apparently there’s a joke I’m missing).

So yeah, at the start the four are fighting in some random place in the sky & the others gang up on Neptune, who gets beat up, falls out the sky & lands in Planeptune, and then loses her memory. She meets IF (Idea Factory) & Compa (Compile Heart) and you just have those three for most of the game. There are Gust & Nisa, but you have to see all their optional scenes & do some things to have them join. The game has a lot of subtle jokes like how Lastation has a whole bunch of industrial factories and is kinda barren because PS3 didn’t have many games when it first came out. They also tend to break the 4th wall or be genre savvy at times, Neptune in particular. So you run through small dungeons to get to the other towns & it doesn’t have random encounters, the monsters are just wondering around the dungeons themselves. The game is kinda linear, and not really that long.

One of the main issues in the game was the healing system in general. Aside from needing the right ingredients on you to use specific healing skills, you need to set the percentage that the character will do it only after they’ve been hit e.g A heal that gives back 50% health has a chance of automatically activating 70% of the time if their health falls below a certain amount. I think the percentage you get is determined by level, can’t remember exactly. Why is that such a problem? Using one example I actually experienced, in one of the early dungeons, IF got KO’d by some miniboss in a dungeon. While the game auto-revives her after a fight, I can’t heal her except in fights after she gets hit & she got revived with like 5-10% health. Every time an enemy hit her, she got KO’d again, and they loved targeting her so it kept happening till I finished the dungeon. Just in general, having a healing system based on chance is stupid in the first place.

So the main villain is some pale-skinned goth chick called Arfoire (R4, GET IT?) so Neptune tries to get the other three goddesses to team up and fight against piracy, that’s the main theme of the game. It’s also one of the RPG’s I’ve played that required barely any grinding at all. Levels are pretty much handed to you as long as you’re not skipping every enemy. It also has difficulty levels, but the only difference is that on easy, everyone does half damage (you included), and on hard everyone deals double damage (again, you included), but the game is pretty damn easy regardless due to a certain infamous move that Neptune even references in later games. Unfortunately, you can’t get the other three goddesses until right before the final dungeon because their towns are under attack by whatever the hell Arfoire is doing and you gotta convince them to join by beating the shit out of them in typical RPG fashion. But to challenge them, you have to get their ‘shares’ up to around 40% if I remember right, which requires doing specific quests which transfer shares from one area to another. Yeah, it’s a long & tedious process. Once you get enough you just go visit them. Also, I love White Heart’s theme, it’s pretty catchy. http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=hiCN-Mxo0oY

Also, you have to fight them solo as Neptune & beat them 1-on-1 to have them join. You can fight Arfoire without the other three goddesses; you just need them for the True Ending. But one thing that makes the game so easy is that Neptune learns a certain move called ‘Neptune Break’ somewhere halfway into the game (I think it’s around level 25). The move is absurdly overpowered, can pretty much be used almost every turn, and it hits every enemy on the map. I don’t even think Neptune needs to be in HDD form to use it either, so there’s no reason not to spam it as much as possible and end fights quick. With the things you have to do to actually fight the True Final Boss, I remember it being no match at all. Not to mention once I got the other goddesses & saw their stats were vastly better than IF & Compa, they got quickly replaced by Noire (whose power is comparable to Neptune) & Blanc (who can tank attacks much easier than other characters). I would’ve had Vert too but in the first game you only had a main party of 3 & I didn’t like her fighting style much. But what the final boss could do didn’t matter very much when I just charged in there with level 90+ characters & started spamming supers with all three of them. The fight pretty much went:

“Alright, I’m a big-ass motherfucking dragon, and I get far stronger when my health is below 50%, I get multiple turns and-“

“Nope, I got Neptune Break. Stay free.”

And so I stomped & stopped piracy for good. The End.
« Last Edit: 04 July, 2013, 07:06:15 pm by Peac0ck » Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: