Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 06:09:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

SA2's Gaming Blog Topic

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SA2's Gaming Blog Topic  (Read 4227 times)
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« Reply #120 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:22:08 pm »

So I went to Anor Londo to kill Gwendolyn (who’s room was open for me to fight him for some reason. If you equip that ring to find him even once, is that illusion no longer there?), had a ranged battle & took him down rather quickly. Then I killed the fire keeper so I could upgrade my estus, then Gywnevere to see the real Anor Londo, which apparently is composed of just two guys. It’s weird that apart from the Blacksmith (and oddly enough a few of those bat wing demons that take you back to Sen’s Fortress) the place is completely empty once you kill those two guys downstairs & the fire keeper. I then ran around in Havel’s gear, charging through everything like the juggernaut to kill all the NPCs because I only had Gywn let to fight so I may as well incase they drop anything interesting. Felt like a total **** after killing certain NPCs & hearing what they say as they die but oh well, I also got a fire keeper soul for killing Quelaag’s sister too. Went back to kill Gough too because I heard he dropped a set of armor, he’s cool & all but I want it. Then I charged through Kiln, of the First Flame in human form, easily killing the black knights like I’d done numerous times over the last 2 days. Summoned Solaire because I may as well, and went to the boss.

Gywn is surprisingly pretty damn fast, so I doubt I could take him in melee. I know the universal method is just to parry then attack but I’ve never tried parrying even once. In a game where just two guys can easily kill you at any point if they have the chance, and you take ridiculously high damage sometimes if you actually get hit, as a caster who‘s already weaker than a knight, why would I even want to risk attempting to parry? So yeah, I finished him with crystal soul spear then linked the fire to praise the sun.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #121 on: 23 January, 2014, 11:13:31 pm »

Plus the parry method is lame.

Well done, sir.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #122 on: 24 January, 2014, 11:11:46 pm »

Going on to some stuff I didn’t mention before, I helped out 3 other players pretty early on. At least I attempted to. In one instance, this guy & another phantom were pretty strong & I was with them to fight the Taurus Demon, but my game crashed right at the fog door, can you believe that shit? Next, I get summoned into a NG+ game, which I could tell because enemies hit me for crazy damage & took ages to kill for me. I stayed on the top tower & fired magic spells at Taurus Demon while the guy stood near & watched…then Taurus Demon jumped up & hit us both. I somehow survived but the host died, I didn’t even know Taurus could do that. I got fed up & later got my three victories on the Gargoyles, as well as a sunlight medal during one victory which I got because I believe the host may have been in the covenant already. I needed the victories not because of the humanity, but because joining the sunlight covenant requires me to have a faith level of 25 (used to be 50 before patch 1.05, which is retarded) & the requirement is lowered by 5 points for every person I help defeat a boss. Unfortunately there was this one **** invader making it harder for me to get my victories because this same one guy kept invading. First time he killed the other phantom while the host ran for the boss door as I just stalled him. Second time the host & another guy were already fighting him & the host got killed. Third time we just ran straight past him, didn’t help that every time he spawned directly in the way of the ladder up. Don’t care about invaders, I just want to join the covenant early & start praising the sun.

So after becoming a warrior of sunlight with that permanent gold plated clothing, I had to think to myself which bosses were easy & around what level I’d find people doing them, because DS has some stupid system where if I’m like over or under 10 levels of other people, they can’t see my sign. Sure, it’s to stop unfair invasions but it makes it a lot harder for me, the hell do I do with the tons of souls I’m getting from helping these guys kill bosses if leveling stops them summoning me? At the time the two options I had were the Gargoyles yet again, and the Gaping Dragon. Would have done Quelaag if I had gone down there yet, as she was kinda easy too. The pool for Gargoyles had kinda dried up after 2 summons so I went to the bonfire at the Depths & got a lot more summons there while I farmed for humanity on the rats while I waited. Fortunately there weren’t that many invaders, and they usually got stomped when they did. Got about 6 medals here, which was enough since I needed to offer 10 of them for Great Lightning Spear & 3 would come from Anor Londo, not to mention I had 3 opportunities to summon Solaire too. While grinding in the painting world, I was summoned & another sunlight member was there too, we even had similar looking equipment. We pretty much steamrolled the place, going in different directions for a while & clearing out the whole area while that soul count kept rising. I then met the other sunlight guy near the fog door leading to the Phalanx.

The only time I ever summoned was for that one occasion with Seath because he had the one weapon I really needed his tail for, that was all. I’d have killed him myself normally, I just wanted his tail. In an invader would have come I'd have just run past him, wouldn't give him the time of day. Then the game would shake its head & teleport me onto the end of his sword for daring to just run past an invader to fight the boss. Late game, I was trying to get summoned against some of the big four, namely Seath or Nito. Had no luck with Nito summons whatsoever, would probably help if I knew where people naturally put their signs, that would be great. Got summoned around Seath quite a few times, and it went terribly every time. First guy got invaded & stupidly backstabbed at the clam section as he just stood there. Cleared out the area with just me & some other guy, we’re right at the fucking door when some guy invades, so he leaves to fight. He clearly wants me to go with him, but like, the door is right fucking there, dude, I just, get in there. I came for the boss, just get in. Nope, goes to fight the guy who’s doing backflips, gets backstabbed & dies within 5 seconds before I even get there, wow. Third guy, actually make it there but Seath spawns right in front of me, cornering me in between him & the fog door. I try to jump over his tail, he spazzes out & takes over 80% of my health, then a hyper beam because he hadn’t killed me yet. Nope, not cheap at all, totally fair. Never bothered again, I had the medals I needed anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #123 on: 26 January, 2014, 12:02:17 am »

Also pretty much sped through NG+ yesterday, running through like some beefy motherfucker cosplaying as dat Havel, charging through all them bitches with my big ass fucking MG & tanking shit like I just don’t give a fuck. Think you hit me with that hammer? Nah son, I’m just thirsty, better start running once I put that flask down. Ran around in human form with 10 humanity in my counter on me almost at all times. Barely got touched in most boss fights since I already knew their patterns (also noticed Sif kinda fights like Artorias which I suppose makes sense even if it’s a stretch since Sif uses his mouth & is a giant wolf, yet I died on Sif numerous times first playthrough but stomped Artorias, though equipment & experiment made a big difference). Exorcised that Demon, smashed those Gargoyles, squashed that spider, put that dog down, got on that Hydra’s back, went out to eat with Havel, sent that other optional Demon back home, shoved my steel into that Iron, left Priscilla alone because I only needed her soul & weapon once (plus she mai waifu), killed Slim first since I needed Fatboy’s soul (I somehow had a tougher time with lighting Smough even though he’s pretty predictable, took a while to work out the timing on his electric slide).

This was where the BS happened, Four Kings NG+, everyone complains about this guy. First attempt, start out with soul spears, second guy appears before I even kill the first. Eventually I kill him, then another shows up. Soon there’s three of them & I get raped. The hell? Geez, game, give me a minute with these guys. Clearly dodging means shit in this fight, it’s the one point where they want you to play like it’s a button masher, fuck defense, just tank their shit & keep drinking, then hope they die before I do. Started out with crystal soul spears, then onto soul spears & crystal soulmass. Had the 4th down to half health when I ran out & had to use soul arrows to finish him off, then near the end this 5th fifth **** shows up. Wat. Hold the phone, is that shit a typo? It says Four Kings, not Five. Get that fool out of here, the player’s lobby next door is missing a fourth.

So I put Nito back in his Grave permanently, played ring around the Rosie with Seath. Charged right through Ceaseless, skipped **** Firesage & Centipede **** with the shortcut but grabbed the sunlight maggot again then finally put that Chaos to Bed in 6 tries (and actually managed to hold onto my souls, believe it or not). Fought Gywn on my own & got raped first attempt, foolishly thinking I could just block. Ignored his knights & fought him again, fuck the souls, no parry, no magic, just me & him. Aside from him landing quite a lot of hits to start, didn’t take too long to learn his pattern & the timing to dodge, which I had to because 3 clean hits & I would most likely be dead. Going for blatant grabs was pretty much my cue to drink, I played ridiculously safe, he nearly got me towards the end when I backed up into a wall but he thankfully didn’t follow up on his attack. So I slayed his ass, man to man, and I walk out of there. All these motherfucking serpents standing right outside the door. Bow down like they know, I walk past all these fools. Like a Sir. So yeah, I'm kinda done.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #124 on: 26 January, 2014, 03:37:01 am »

Four Kings on NG+ is ridiculous.
Report Spam   Logged
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #125 on: 27 January, 2014, 04:39:13 am »

I've been wondering, is it a bad thing to have summons with you for the Four Kings? As I learned on NG+, it's an entirely different fight from most others. You're pretty much on a time limit since his buddies will be spawning every minute or so, two makes it harder to land hits & 3 of them there at once will quickly lead to you getting stomped. Doesn't help that they have a grab which seems designed to stall for time while his buddies are away. Generally, I never went to this fight in human form so I don't know. I heard this NPC, Witch Beatrice could be summoned for this fight though, but only if you summoned her for the Moonlight Butterfly boss (who isn't really hard & since I was already a caster I had no reason to summon her). I also heard having summons gives the boss 50% more HP, which just makes Four Kings harder considering that fight is more about dishing out damage as fast as you possibly can. Fights like Ornstein & Smough, which are 2v1 seem designed for the summon tactic to help separate the two.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #126 on: 27 January, 2014, 09:46:43 am »

It might be, I can't say for sure. Last time I fought them I soloed them and I've never played NG+ since I'm not into that kind of thing generally.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #127 on: 07 February, 2014, 02:35:09 pm »

So I got this about 3 days ago. Randomly felt like picking it up because I has money, and because I haven’t played a DBZ game in a while (though I heard Ultimate Tenkaichi sucked & was a QTE fest). The controls of the game are actually more basic than I thought, I assumed DSP was just mashing basic stuff when he played but there really isn’t much to it. I’ve technically finished all 60 missions at this point so it’s just gonna be two long posts, the second I‘ll do later. I felt it was kinda dumb to shove team based battles into fights which were completely 1v1, like the Frieza fight, but whatever. Every character has 2 unique skills they can use using the left & right triggers, and a super that you can use when the game feels like letting you use them (since it seemed it was random at what point the game would let me start throwing out supers during fights). Having played the demo a bit, a had somewhat of a head start since the full game lets you transfer all your DB points, premium points & cards. Game went rather smoothly through Saiyan to Frieza saga aside from a few things I’ll bring up in a bit. The Android Saga was where it began to get a bit annoying. Where enemies kept unfairly claiming they have priority on attacks.

May as well list my issues with the single player at this point:

- Most of the time, my AI teammates will feel completely worthless. What’s the point of even being there if you’re just gonna fly in circles 80% of the fight? Sometimes I’ll get attacked while comboing another enemy & they’ll just stand there watching me get combed, feel free to just sit & watch. They won’t even bother to revive me most of the time, normally when DSP complains about things I’ll roll my eyes because he regularly misses stuff, though on occasion I can easily see his point. This is one of those times.

Doesn’t matter whether I get knocked 5 miles or 20 feet away, if I’m lucky I’ll see one of them attempt to get me, but they’ll usually just stand around. I once dropped like 6 feet away from one, he waited, then flew away. Excellent AI there. Only the support characters I’ve noticed actually make regular attempts to get me. Doesn’t help that I get penalized if they die, I only get 5 secs for them to revive me but they get 10, and drop like flies regularly, so I have to stop what I’m doing & go get them. You only get a certain amount of lives depending on the overall “power” of the team, and the AI can easily use up a lot of them. If they die when you have 0 retries, game over. I hate it when AI can cost you a victory, one of the more BS examples on the artificial difficulty list.

- On the other hand, some of the enemy AI is too good. Two or more enemies are quite likely to target me, or pelt me with continuous ki blasts while I’m beating his friend, a shame my AI partners aren’t that bright. Some enemy AI (mainly the “tough” ones with a star by their name) will just decide shit on the spot. Sure, I started up my combo half a second before I can hit you after getting up but you don’t care, you no sell that first hit & get a free combo on me. Sometimes even though I clearly landed the first hit, they’ll just start pummeling me anyway, because it’s not “challenging” if enemies don’t have super armor, of course. Often they’ll just teleport out in the middle of my combo, why? Because, that’s why. Hate having to deal with those types, the ones that are ridiculously overpowered, can throw out as massive quick beams all day if they want, no sell 80% of what you throw at them, and show no mercy towards you when you need to revive AI. I began doing online at mission 26, the Cell Games fight. I heard how infamous that one fight is for being so ridiculous. Thought they were exaggerating a little until I actually saw DSP do that fight. I already found the AI a nuisance during the Full Power Frieza fight, which y’know, should have been 1v1. I really didn’t wanna think about having to constantly revive because the AI walks into moves you could see a mile away, I’d want competent players for that fight. Unless they’re a healer, the AI is normally a liability.

- Premium Points, period. They’re used to buy all kinds of rare cards to equip to characters to level stats, give special bonuses etc. Some of these good cards cost like 10k+. You get DP just for finishing a fight, you only get the chance to get PP if you get a special bonus during a fight. Getting that requires you doing something specific, like killing one specific character in a 4v4 fight within the first minute, or killing a character while using the character who beat them in the story. Some of these are random or just ridiculous to naturally achieve solo, like mission 26 normally & it has 3 (you only need to complete 1):

Kill all 6 Cell Jrs within 1 minute (these guys love hit & run tactics, so they’re annoying as fuck)
Land a 30 hit combo (Cell Jrs die too fast, Cell decides when I can & can’t hit him, and AI doesn’t assist often in melee combat so that require a specific build solo & a little luck)
Win without retrying (a lot of people doing single player complain about this particular fight the most, enough said.)

A portal then opens up in a certain spot on the map (which you’ll only know if you’ve played the map) & you throw as much energy that you have available. How big the energy bar is depends on team links & such. But you like a measly 1500 PP for a normal early fight while you’d get 5k+ in DP. Having 4 human players gives 4x more but its still glitchy as fuck & sometimes I’ll get less than if I did the fight alone. Oh, they don’t tell you what the special bonuses are either, as far as I know they’re only shown on the results screen, so yeah.

- Unlocking characters in earlier games just required you to naturally progress through the story fights, or beating a character with another specific character. Here its not enough to finish the levels, half the characters require you getting an S rank to unlock them (SS is the highest from a normal finish) making the special bonus points almost essential for some of these fights, or your team would have to pretty much dominate to get the points needed. SSJ2 Teen Gohan requires an S rank on mission 26, I got it first try with a decent team though. Some I had to do a few times, and retries lower your points. Not to mention, I joined a group of people on my friends list & we did mission 59, fully prepared to fill our roles, all of us having senzu beans equipped to get a full restore just in case.

I played as SSJ2 Goku, and the only other major damage dealer played as SSJ2 Vegeta, with Goten & Whis as support (Whis is actually unlocked here so that guy had already done it). Simply put, it was smooth sailing through the first half of the fight. During the last part against Beerus/Bills/Birusu/Whatever & Whis, I said ahead of time I’d handle Whis so he can’t heal Beerus. Whis kept blocking & evaded but I was merely stalling. By the time they took down Beerus (and did a damn good job, didn’t see anyone get downed but I have no idea what was going on on the other side of the map), I had Whis down to half health, so when they arrived we quickly stomped him. We easily dominated that fight, didn’t even use the senzu beans, but I didn’t unlock anyone because I was 2 fights away from unlocking it on my save. That’s just BS IMO. Same when I found a group of randoms who were decent enough to finish mission 60 with an ultimate, couldn‘t believe it. I don’t get credit because I hadn’t found a team to do 59 yet, of course.

I’ll split this about here for the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #128 on: 08 February, 2014, 10:14:38 am »

I played the demo. The A.I. NEVER did anything for me. I had to stop after 15 minutes, I could not take it. I loved Tenkaichi 2 and 3, so this was a massive letdown. And it was only the demo.
Report Spam   Logged
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #129 on: 08 February, 2014, 05:57:43 pm »

I have fond memories of both those games (and Budokai 3 a friend & I played it quite a lot & were pretty much even when we played it once all afternoon). Honestly it's the co-op that makes me look past some of its many flaws & enjoy it. That was the reason I decided to waste money on it (plus I had a lot of money to waste).
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #130 on: 14 February, 2014, 11:06:44 pm »

Forgot to get back to this, so anyway, I got this for the co-op. I’ve always loved co-op stuff, or just fun things in general. I like fun. So completing a mission with other (good) players I would consider fun. Emphasis on good. I don’t like sounding like one of those try hard “play to win” people who pick the overrated, overpowered characters & insult everyone then make up excuses if they ever lose, but some people can be so stupid online. But hey, it’s the internet, that’s to be expected. It’s just annoying when one bad teammate can easily screw everything up. In this game there’s a retry system, basically the weak characters get 2 retries, the ones in the middle get 1 & the ones the game considers really strong get none. Going to random rooms you’ll regularly see whole teams with 0 retry characters, and I’m usually not surprised when I’m the best player there. SSJ God Goku, SSJ3 Goku, LSSJ Broly, Beerus, Kid Buu, I would almost always see one of these in every room & they’re all 0 retry characters. But if you’re going to use a 0 retry, at least be good with the character. I once ran through mission 60 with Kid Buu when with a decent team, and even though I had only used him about twice before then, I knew how to effectively use his stuff. Then again, I love KB, in every game, even in the show when he was just a mindless killing machine. Me & my friends always considered him to be a little OP in the early games, and he always had tons of crazy long combos & really good unique skills. He’s not good enough in this game to qualify for a 0 retry character honestly. I think SSJ2 Goku is one of the best characters, and he actually gets a retry.

He has instant transmission that lets me speed halfway across the biggest map in half a second (yes, halfway), it’s incredibly useful for reaching enemies across the field & reviving teammates that were smacked across the map by an enemy attack. His second unique skill is a dragon rush combo that can be triggered at any point so its best to do so before the last hit in his standard combo, plus it has invincibility frames so he can’t be knocked out of it by BS enemy priority. Kid Buu gets a low distance IT (If SSJ2 Goku’s went 10 miles, Kid Buu’s would travel 6) but also has a stretchy arm skill that pulls enemies & teammates towards him. You can reset a combo twice by using it before the last hit, don’t think I’ve ever seen another player do that. Then again, Kid Buu isn’t strong enough to really bother. I also think SSJ God Goku sucks honestly, what he can do, I feel every other Goku can do it better, only thing that stuck out is that his super is more powerful. SSJ2 Teen Gohan is also a 0 retry, but I didn’t consider him to be that good either, SSJ2 Vegeta can be if you use him a certain way (a cheap way, spam ki volley attacks all day). Back to the point, I like teammates with brains: The type who don’t run into blatant attacks, take advantage of the boss targeting yours truly, throw out ki & such when desperately needed etc.

Seeing people with 0 retry characters equip senzu beans so they automatically revive teamselves is quite uncommon. The times I’d see the other 3 go into a mission like 59 with not even a ½ senzu & no retries made me shake my head. I can understand the absurb price of full beans but the ½ ones are just 8000 DP, when you’re regularly getting 15-20k a mission by that point its no big deal. Btw, if you equip a senzu but didn’t use it because another player got killed early on, it’s still gone (http://www.themonolith.com/wp-content/uploads/why-would-you-do-that.jpg). Am I a rare breed of player who doesn’t wanna rush right into everything & would rather learn enemy patterns & have some kind of backup available? After the second time, characters like Super Vegito at the end of mission 60 were no longer hard, I knew his stuff. He throws out tons of ki blasts & zigzags all over the place while teleporting around if you catch him in a combo. Keeping up & putting pressure on him greatly lowers what he can do. Plus, if I’m there Vegito will regularly target me. Like 90% of the time, his first attack will be directed at me. Doesn’t matter what character I am, if I’m the highest levelled in the room, if the data taken has considered me the best player there, or where I’m currently standing, when he shows up I’m his main target, so I was forced to learn how to effectively dodge shit to keep up with him. If there’s a healer they usually notice this too, focusing on keeping me healed even though I don’t need the health since I still have my senzu.

Some enemies just naturally target me & I have no idea why. SSJ Goku, SSJ Sword Trunks & SSJ2 Teen Gohan, on mission 60 that’s basically a gauntlet of all characters, these three will always seek me out if a teammate doesn’t get them first. SSJ2 Teen Gohan once followed me across the map to attack me so I always had to make it a priority to kill him ASAP before he can do anything. I’m one of those rare players who regularly has an almost full energy bar because I save it for stuff like killing annoying characters quickly, using unique skills all day with little worry & throwing out energy to others on occasion. Also saving myself from double teams because supers although not that strong, can’t be interrupted, on both sides. Enemy charges a super & can’t be stopped? Throw yours out to avoid getting hit completely. Enemy got BS priority? Throw out a super which stops their combo completely. I don’t always play melee types though, I occasionally played as healers like SSJ Goten (though I normally wouldn’t because playing as a healer implies you have faith in your more melee orientated partners). Was on a team with Final Form Cooler, an LSSJ Broly & Kid Buu, I believe. The first two segments of the mission are just running around beating the crap out of whatever enemy spawns. The last half a dozen fighters tend to have super armor & other BS so by then I drop out of the action & focus on healing & interrupting enemies if there’s an opening. The guy playing Cooler regularly provided ki if I needed to heal while staying back himself to fire finger beams.

Halfway through the list the two doing the main fighting probably took notice of me only rushing in to attack when the enemy focused on someone else, since they were no longer so reckless. Kinda bored of the game now though, still waiting on the 4 cards I need to complete my collection that are all weekly premium cards I have to wait for. Oh, there’s also Ultimate attacks, only 7 characters get them: Goku, Full Power Frieza, Perfect Cell, SSJ2 Teen Gohan, LSSJ Broly, SSJ3 Gotenks & Kid Buu. You need an ultimate jewel equipped to use an ultimate, and you can only buy 3 a week (https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=-p0OadRapq4). You need to completely fill up the top energy bar, then at the final part of a mission you have the option to use it. You gotta charge up energy for like half a minute to actually use the damn thing & for some reason enemy damage can be random while charging so a good team is needed to stall the enemy. While I fucked up once & used an ultimate earlier than I should have, regular ultimate users tend to bust it out at some of the stupidest times. Noteworthy example, one mission has you fight SSJ3 Goku, SSJ2 Vegeta & Majin Buu, in the middle of everything the guy holding the jewel decided to use it…while all of them were still alive. Clearly this guy is a retard, he could at least wait till SSJ3 Goku was dead because he was the main threat. Naturally the enemies targeted him soon enough & he died, but there have been numerous other times they would choose the worst team to use it. But yeah, I have far more memories of the incredibly awful teams than of the good ones, and that’s depressing.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #131 on: 06 March, 2014, 07:06:54 am »

So since our lord & savior is around the corner, I may as well bring this up before I eventually get into it. With the release of the second game approaching, there were many people over time feeling that they just had to go back & complete Dark Souls or at least give it a try if they passed over it in the past (like myself). Kinda felt like the Ghouls & Ghosts of this generation, except nowhere near as hard since I doubt very many actually finished the original GnGs legit. While it’s to be expected, the game wasn’t as hard as I heard, but that’s what you get with expectations. It flows rather smoothly if you don’t go into the game with the wrong mindset i.e. mashing the attack button, being impatient & incredibly reckless since that shit will get you killed pretty damn fast. I got used to all the controls like 30 minutes in (it helped that I had played Dragon’s Dogma just before it) & while I soared right through most beginning areas, I still died a lot during those points too, and it usually came down to rushing in too fast & getting greedy with hits when it was clearly dangerous to go for it. I don’t count Hellkite though, still think he’s random as shit which makes getting to the sunlight altar rather luck based. Overtime a lot of things really began to piss me off around the mid-point & kinda went downhill from there (I just stopped acting completely around Painted World since my favorite enemy makes its most wonderful appearance there). At the end of the day, I still ended up liking the game. Then again, it doesn’t take much for me to like a game but it takes a lot for me to hate it, may as well go over the bigger points that annoyed me.

- Lock-on. My goodness, as I got closer to end-game, it’s flaws got far harder to ignore. Most times you can’t target something unless you’re within 5 feet of it, which kinda defeats the point of any ranged stuff. It’s perfectly okay for an OP magician to target me from a mile away in the darkness when I can’t even see the guy on screen yet though, that makes sense. Say I run up to one of those tower knights to lock-on then quickly back up, sometimes it’ll turn my back to the enemy instead of lock-on because I was apparently 2 feet too far even though the guy’s only like 10 feet away, occasionally letting them strike me from behind. A memorable example, with the channelers in Duke’s Archives. I run up the stairs towards these guys, staying just far enough that they don’t run. Guy is right in front of me yet I have to hold my shield up & click lock-on like 3 times before the game notices he’s right there. Unless the enemy is moving 2 miles an hour, actually hitting shit with magic is more frustrating than need be, sometimes it’ll somehow miss because an enemy was half a foot to the right, practically scraping the guy’s shoulder at best, not staying it should always hit unless clearly dodged, there’s just no excuse to miss when an enemy is running towards you in a straight line but slightly to the right. This made the bonewheel skeletons more frustrating because any spell except my homie, Homing Soulmass,  would usually miss & leave me wide open to get insta-killed.

- No pause button. Not really a big complaint but I’ll put it here anyway. Say what you want but unless I’m being invaded or have other players with me in general, there’s no excuse for not being able to pause. There are times when you simply can’t stand in a corner while you quickly leave for a minute, for instance, in the middle of a boss fight when your bowels suggest you better get on that pot ASAP. There were two occasions where I had the wrong weapon equipped, but I can’t just pause, go to the menu & swap it out to my main weapon, I gotta kill everything nearby with that crap which will take 3 times longer before I can swap it out.

- Constant ambushes. Sure, they can be done well to keep you focused & all but Dark Souls abuses the hell out of this to the point I just sigh. After the first time I get caught out, fair enough, I’ll pay more attention & it’ll probably come up once or twice more at most. In DS, like a 1/3 of corners have some **** sitting there, waiting to get a free kill. Duke’s Archives was the worst when it came to this. Almost all narrow pathways & half of them had some **** standing in a corner (Once I could clearly see the guy, from my character’s viewpoint he was clearly visible & a few feet away, staring at him but couldn’t target him because I wasn’t fully round the corner, that makes total sense.) When I went down the first steps in Oolacile Township, I knew there would be one enemy attempting to ambush me. I just knew he would be there, I was so used to random enemies camping tight corners that I started making note of spots where they could easily stick one but surprisingly didn’t.

- PvP. Not the thing itself, mind you, then again, as a sorceror who operated under “My magic won’t hit you unless you very slowly walk towards me in a straight line.” I wasn’t going to be that fond of it anyway. Second, the horrendous lag which regularly shows up. This is right before your opponent uses IT to teleport halfway across the room to lagstab you & get a free win. The amount of times duels haven’t ended like this can be counted on one hand. The guy is half a mile away? I randomly teleport onto his sword. I clearly rolled away from a swing? Nope, get over here, lagstab for you, bitch. Then there’s the random invaders abusing some cheap shit like that one miracle that shoots shockwaves, guy was rapid cancelling it or something. Just ran up & spammed it till I died then had the nerve to bow like what he did wasn’t cheap as fuck. Just makes me want to avoid fighting people, period, and some of these fights take too long. In Anor Londo, was grinding out the painting guardians for my humanity counter when some guy invaded just as I sat down at Gywndolin’s bonfire. Figured he’d come to me, he didn’t so I ran up the stairs & he was waiting right there. Spent like several minutes running in circles with this guy using Pyromancy & such, I kept wondering why this NPC was more annoying to kill than the others. Eventually took him down with several soul arrows on the narrow path to the first bonfire, then only realized minutes later I was still online. They’ve apparently fixed the lag but I’ll believe it when I see it & I’d rather not even glance.

- Just gonna call it freedom. Now I know that you can physically kill enemies & use Pyromancy & spells etc. on any character, but you can’t do most of that till like 2/3’s into the game, and probably not even that if you haven’t grinded a little. Starting out with the standard hand axe, I used it for killing weak foes & saving the spells for strong enemies & bosses, and that’s about it. Yeah, you can do whatever build you wanna start with, but if I don’t like a particular play style due to environment changes, I gotta grab a ton of souls to level up my other shit so I have more to fall back on, or start over & choose another class. Hell, a lot of the weapons I was simply curious to try out normally required me to use like 8 soul levels to up specific stats I didn’t care too much for normally, not like I could try it out beforehand to see if it’s a weapon that‘s worth the souls. Don’t get me wrong, I like the game, I just wanted a little more to work with. I liked Dragon’s Dogma more as I could change my character class on the fly by just visiting the inn, and I could experiment a lot more without getting quickly punished for not sticking to my strengths (of course, for most of DD, the head gear with the best defensive stats was a brown sack, so yeah, didn‘t like that little bit). In order to do all that I wanted, I had to level up to like soul level 160 or so, mainly I needed far more endurance than necessary to equip Havel’s gear (which might have the highest defence in the game) & roll without his ring taking a permanent spot.

I also spent a ton of points on attunement so I could go from 6 to 9 slots & use an extra batch of great soul arrows, soul spears & homing soulmass, but after 6 slots the points needed to get more become more & more ridiculous. You can’t really tell how a weapon is gonna swing in your hands till you really try it sometimes. Going off that, the Uchigatana would have been my preferred weapon of choice since the stat requirement isn’t way too high, it swings fast, it’s damage is actually pretty good, and it can be buffed. I hate that spells like sunlight blade & crystal magic weapon seemed useless for me since they can’t be used on “special” weapons. Why the fuck not? The special weapons aren’t even good enough to stand on their own without that, honestly, a lot of them kinda suck since they can only go up to +5 (I assume that’s because twinkling titanite couldn’t be bought in the past. I did not know this…and it is stupid.) Actually trying out crystal magic weapon on some random sword actually made it look cool, but it apparently clashes with anything not common. Hell, as far as I know, the Uchi can only be gotten two ways, kill the first undead merchant (which I wouldn’t want to do on a first play through), or from Shiva, but only in Blighttown. Again, why? Why not at the Forest after joining that covenant, the guy’s right there! Why does he set up shop in Blighttown of all places? Isn’t he losing sales this way? Who the hell would want to visit that shithole other than to ring the bell? It’s pretty high on my list of places I’d rather avoid like the plague.

Great magic shield too, I wanted this on my magic list, y’know, for variety. Then I found out it sucked, looked it up, seems it only lasts like 15 seconds instead of one minute because people were apparently abusing this in PvP. Far enough, I would’ve been a reasonable person & shortened it to around 30 seconds, but 15? That makes it fucking useless, why must really good things get nerfed to hell instead of being balanced? So yeah, I grinded like 70 levels in the Painted World which took like 3 hours (since the grinding spot there gives like 10k souls every minute with the right gear & pyro spell) after I’d done everything expect kill Gywn, so I could run around with all the shit I wanted in NG+ and have more fun doing so.

Oh, and the notion that everything is fair & that anytime you die it’s always entirely your fault? Lol. Not trying to say the game has tons of BS in it, but that’s quite an exaggeration that it’s entirely fair, unless they‘ve forgotten about some of the smaller details. How random the Hellkite dragon can be? That one butcher standing on that piece of wood in the beginning of the Depths just to surprise you from behind (yeah, I saw him on NG+)? The pit with the frogs that can instant curse you if you take them lightly unless you conveniently happened to be wearing curse resist stuff (like myself)? Most of Blighttown in general? That one lightning throwing **** to the left of a narrow path leading to the outside of Sen’s Fortress (you could say the mimic too though that catches almost everyone unless you already knew)? **** giants chucking AoE inferno boulders right after if you stop for a few moments? The infamous archers of Anor Londo? The dreaded well in the Painted World? The beginning of Tomb of the Giants? Duke’s Archives, period. Crystal Cave, period. Stray Demon, its not enough to take health from your fall, he’ll spam AoE’s with absurd hitboxes like crazy. Centipede Demon with 90% of the area covered in lava that eats through your health in seconds? The derpy octopus monsters that can break your shit just from touching you once? Bed of Chaos, need I say more? While most bosses are generally fair (though you don't expect Four Kings to be a DPS race), if you need an example of luck based BS look no further than Capra Demon. Gets two annoying dogs to help him & a tiny ass room, he’d be on the same line as Pinwheel without either of these. Having a weak axe that kills dogs in two swings & no poise whatsoever, having a good shot at him required me to not get boxed in 2 seconds after walking through the door. Say what you want, MM, fucker was cheap.

I'm not trying to give the impression I'm whining because it was too damn hard. One of the things that made me want to finally give the game a shot was that DSP gave it another shot & beat it (with massive amounts of help from his stream chat, staying in the back while his summons did 90% of the work, being given near maxed out humanity so he could keep doing it, and being handed overpowered gear so he could tank through stuff). If he could beat it, then it can't be too hard. I didn't lie about the things I posted, sure I didn't list every death because that's a waste of time but I knew things about the game ahead of time & what mentality to have so I died far less than a new player would. When I said I beat Oreo & Smores 1st try & got hit once, I really did it (http://newssbb.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,39365.msg1094871.html#msg1094871), then again, my build was perfect for that fight but I didn't set up my build for those two (honestly it was for Four Kings on NG+). I was expecting to get stomped because my spell count was low & I wasn't human but I had to obviously give it a try. Wasn't focused on specifically killing one of them, just making sure to keep an eye on them both. Considering what kind of game it is, Oreo would likely get a quick stab on me from the side if I ignored him, allowing his boy, Smores, to smack me into the ground. I only called in help ONCE, and it was purely to get Seath the Shithead's tail because the **** was being a bigger prude than Priscilla & would refuse to hand it over, could've killed him without help like every other boss. Overtime, I began using the souls I had on random stuff: items I'll probably never use, random weapons & armor I don't have, just anything so I don't possibly suffer some random death & lose them all. If I was like 2k souls away from a level, I'd get them & level so I don't worry about dying, which made the last areas far less frustrating.

So yeah, I may like the game (I completed 3 playthroughs, at least) but I’m not gonna get on my knees & work my mouth like half the other fanatics. Just because you like a game doesn’t mean you should automatically write off any & all flaws, I’ve acknowledged flaws in several of the games in this topic that I liked. I’ve heard more bad things than good ones from the changes made in DkS2, though I haven’t been actively looking for them, but I won’t be too sure until its out. Oh, and Floyd, I haven’t forgotten about Thin Red Line, I’ll get back to it soon enough.
« Last Edit: 06 March, 2014, 07:19:48 am by Bonewheel Skeleton » Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #132 on: 06 March, 2014, 10:00:30 am »

Praise his name.

Yeah, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls fans are terrible. I love Dark Souls to death but it has its share of stupidity in its design. I think the problem is that certain people (I know a few in real life) take those flaws and act as if they're something positive towards the game, as if bad design making things harder was a good take away from older games rather than the clever level design, interesting mechanics or other things. When you're in Blighttown and the frame rate makes it actually difficult to see where the poison darts are coming from, that's a serious problem.

Oh, and Floyd, I haven’t forgotten about Thin Red Line, I’ll get back to it soon enough.

yesssssssssssssssss
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #133 on: 06 March, 2014, 11:25:31 am »

Praise his name.

Yeah, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls fans are terrible. I love Dark Souls to death but it has its share of stupidity in its design. I think the problem is that certain people (I know a few in real life) take those flaws and act as if they're something positive towards the game, as if bad design making things harder was a good take away from older games rather than the clever level design, interesting mechanics or other things. When you're in Blighttown and the frame rate makes it actually difficult to see where the poison darts are coming from, that's a serious problem.
Sadly people will find a way to defend any small concern or make up BS to try & twist it into something good. It just baffles me when occasionally I'll see someone list something & then all the dickriders will show up in droves saying things like, "That's just want you gotta expect from these games.", "You're not playing it right, be more immersed so you can be properly challenged.", "This game is perfect in every way, stop crying." & "Stop whining. Chug down that BS & learn how to cheese it, filthy casual."
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #134 on: 06 March, 2014, 12:39:14 pm »

A friend of mine just beat the game a few weeks ago and had a similar experience with the community. It kind of blows my mind that a game where getting help from others is a key point has such a hostile community.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: